PDA

View Full Version : HD hookup question?

Stitches
07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Well I got my tv and everything set up yesterday, and since I had a premium 360, I just plugged in the component cables. I thought it looked better, and it shows running at 1080i. But I keep hearing that using a VGA cord gives a better picture or something(my understanding is the VGA cord is the one that has the end that connects like a computer moniter). I was just wondering what everyone's experience was on what is best, or if it is even worth it to get VGA if it does look better?

This would be simpler if i could use HDMI, lol.

TheAnswer385
07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
there is going to be a hdmi cable coming soon for the premium soon(like a month or two) just use the component for now.

Stitches
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
there is going to be a hdmi cable coming soon for the premium soon(like a month or two) just use the component for now.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Question though, I see the HDMI cable is for 1080p, well if my TV only runs as high as 1080i, will it still have a better picture with the HDMI cable than the component cables?

Motion
07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Question though, I see the HDMI cable is for 1080p, well if my TV only runs as high as 1080i, will it still have a better picture with the HDMI cable than the component cables?

Probably won't be able to tell the difference. The resolution will only go as high as the TV allows.

Phin-o-rama
07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
stick with component.

i use vga for 1080p because my display is 1080p.

hdmi will look the same as component on your set.

Stitches
07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I mean I think it looks sweet with the component, I just didn't know.

FinsNCanes
07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I have an HDMI hook up so I'm waiting for the cables to come out for the premium. I just hooked mine up with the cables it came with. I still can't tell the difference between 720p, 1080i and all the other ****. I have mine set at 1080i.

Dolfan32323
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
If your TV only does 1080i there is no need to bother with an HDMI cable. I personally just use the components at 720p (prefer it over 1080i, seemed to run better). Looks great and runs smoothly.Make sure you flip the switch on the component cables on the abck of your 360.

Stitches
07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Well it looks like my cable box uses yipper cables too, so that mean 3 things are fighting over 2 slots. So I will check my local used game shops for the any of the 360 VGA cables I think. That'll help solve my problem.

Stitches
07-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Well I got a VGA cable yesterday, and I think it look great. I have the resolution as like 1240x768, or something like that. I think it looks better than my components(though not sure by how much). I also found out that the 360 can upscale DVDs to 1080p(or 1080i in my case) through the VGA, whle it only does up to 480p through component. My DVD player accepts component cable, but it isn't exactly a true upscalar. At least it doesn't say it on the box, the manual just says us component for best picture, as opposed to the s-video (better) or the traditional RCA cables (good). So I don't know if it'd be better to run movies through my 360 or not. I'll give it a shot sometime I guess, since my DVD controller is so unresponsive anyways.

Only problem with the VGA that I had, was when I put it at the highest resolution, it chopped off like 2 inches on the right of the screen(rather it had a 2 inch black bar there) and I don't know why. I was able to go into my tv settings, and just move the picture to the right(not stretching either) and it seemed to be perfect and centered and everything. Still nto sure why it did it though. Oh well.