PDA

View Full Version : Head of EA Sports says "We're boring people"

StormSurge
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
“We’re boring people to death and making games that are harder and harder to play,” EA Chief Executive John Riccitiello told the Wall Street Journal in a story posted on its Web site on Sunday.

“For the most part, the industry has been rinse-and-repeat,” he was quoted as saying. “There’s been lots of product that looked like last year’s product, that looked a lot like the year before.” :sidelol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19677596/

HysterikiLL
07-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I saw some sample clips of NCAA on PS2 last night and I'm really disappointed. The gameplay is exactly the same. They didn't even make an effort.

Stitches
07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I saw some sample clips of NCAA on PS2 last night and I'm really disappointed. The gameplay is exactly the same. They didn't even make an effort.

They were focused on next gen.

TheAnswer385
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
They were focused on next gen.we will see come august

Motion
07-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Well that makes it even worse that they are aware of their biggest problem and haven't done anything to fix it.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't think it is necessarily EA's fault. The thing is, innovative games do not sell as well as "same old same old" games. Once and and a while you get a Guitar Hero, but more often then not those games do not make their money back.

Brown42000
07-09-2007, 03:37 PM
They even said that current-gen was made for casual gamers and next-gen was for the hardcore gamers.

SKing29
07-09-2007, 03:37 PM
They were focused on next gen.

Thats not really an excuse though because they owe all of their customers that shell out their earned money to play EA's games a worthwhile game experience.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
They even said that current-gen was made for casual gamers and next-gen was for the hardcore gamers.

that makes sense because early adopters are hardcore and the people buying the ps2s (since Xboxes don't sell) are people who are more casual

Motion
07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think it is necessarily EA's fault. The thing is, innovative games do not sell as well as "same old same old" games. Once and and a while you get a Guitar Hero, but more often then not those games do not make their money back.

So why can't they add a little innovation to those same ol' games?

Stitches
07-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Thats not really an excuse though because they owe all of their customers that shell out their earned money to play EA's games a worthwhile game experience.

Just because it hasn't really changed, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. Was it worthwhile last year? Same game this year (according to Hysterikill) just with player updates. If it was worthwhile last year, it should be worthwhile this year, since it should be a fun game regardless.

Stitches
07-09-2007, 03:45 PM

They do, it's called the Wii edition. :wink:

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-09-2007, 03:47 PM

they do but they are more evolutions rather then revolutions.

SKing29
07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Just because it hasn't really changed, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. Was it worthwhile last year? Same game this year (according to Hysterikill) just with player updates. If it was worthwhile last year, it should be worthwhile this year, since it should be a fun game regardless.

That is true mainly because sports games don't change a lot every year, but they do change with new modes of gameplay, if they are simply updating rosters then that is a problem, thats basically an online downloadable update that they will charge too much money for.

I consider myself more than a casual gamer but I can't afford a $400-$600 dollar gaming system and a $60 dollar game, and although I do expect the next-gen version to have more, the current gen gamers should get more than a roster update. A Roster update is a download not a new game.

Stitches
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
That is true mainly because sports games don't change a lot every year, but they do change with new modes of gameplay, if they are simply updating rosters then that is a problem, thats basically an online downloadable update that they will charge too much money for.

I consider myself more than a casual gamer but I can't afford a $400-$600 dollar gaming system and a $60 dollar game, and although I do expect the next-gen version to have more, the current gen gamers should get more than a roster update. A Roster update is a download not a new game.

I agree with you, I was just trying to argue from the other side's point of view(as if it were a vacuum, whether the game would still be good or not).

SKing29
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I get ya, just getting my point across :)

Dolfan32323
07-09-2007, 04:42 PM

I consider myself more than a casual gamer but I can't afford a $400-$600 dollar gaming system and a $60 dollar game, and although I do expect the next-gen version to have more, the current gen gamers should get more than a roster update. A Roster update is a download not a new game.Thing is next-gen has been getting less! Current-gen has all the teams. next Gen doesn't! Plus the online for ncaa07 on 360 is garbage.