PDA

View Full Version : Ensemble collects water from air

Miamian
07-09-2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070604222124.htm

Two architects pursuing PhDs at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology have devised a low-tech way to collect dew from the air and turn it into fresh water. Their invention recently won an international competition seeking to make clean, safe water available to millions around the world.

ckb2001
07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
This is good stuff. Recently, many new cheap desalination technologies have been developed, often using nanotechnology. One way or another, we're likely to find a cost-effective technological solution to the problem of providing fresh water for everyone on Earth.

MNFINFAN
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I wonder if it needs a minimum humidity, I am sure there will be a way if there isn't already of creating water from air combining free floating O2 or even O3 with H2 to make water even where there is no humidty at all.

ckb2001
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I wonder if it needs a minimum humidity, I am sure there will be a way if there isn't already of creating water from air combining free floating O2 or even O3 with H2 to make water even where there is no humidty at all.

I'm not sure why it would need a minimum humidity to extract water from air (maybe I'm missing something). It should work fine in extremely low humidity except that it will of course then become highly uneconomical. But, that's just a guess. I can't think of a mechanism for water extraction from air that would actually require a minimum humidity.. can you?