PDA

View Full Version : Pope: Other denominations not true churches

BAMAPHIN 22
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Pope Benedict XVI (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19692094/#) has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/07/10/pope-other-denominations-not-true-churches/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msnbc.msn.com%2Fid%2F19692094%2F&frame=true

Den54
07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
How this clown rose to power amazes me.

Pagan
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Sieg heil mein Fuh....ah...I mean Pope!

:shakeno:

Den54
07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Where's Snead OConner when you need her?

DonShula84
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Other Christian denominations think the same thing about their sect and most say far worse things about Catholics than he's saying about them.

Den54
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Other Christian denominations think the same thing about their sect and most say far worse things about Catholics than he's saying about them.

Agree completely.
He's just in my sights at the moment.

cnc66
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM

I don't know about most, but I have certainly heard shocking comments.
I messed with them.

DolfinDave
07-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Man the Pope must be feeling frisky lately. That's two comments that really shed his church and organized religions as a whole in a bad light.

Quelonio
07-11-2007, 01:53 AM
This particular pope has definetely taken like 10 steps back. I mean if John XXIII took the catholic church 40 steps forward, the pope after him brought it back 5 steps, the pope after didn't even get to do a thing cuz he died, John Paul brought it back just about one step (for all people rave about him, he really didn't do much) and then this guy just keeps on walking backwards, and it has only been one year.

Then again that is what I would expect from someone with the last name Ratzinger, all I can think off when they tell me his name is that is:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

SCall13
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
This will certainly stir controversy, but it's my opinion: The Catholic Church has no grounds to stand on to criticize other churches. (On a side note, I think all denominationalism is wrong because it creates seperation from brotherhood, which is what Christ preached - but that's another subject). The Catholic Church does every thing the bible speaks against. Idolatry is enormous in catholicism. They pray with beads, bow at statues, pray to intercessors. The bible plainly says that there is but ONE intercessor between God and man. And it isn't Mary. I think that the Catholic church stands against Christ. They put a man in the stead of Christ. Which, by the way, is written in Latin on the Pope's throne: affilia de vi carus (I think that is spelled correctly) directly translates to IN the STEAD OF CHRIST. No APPOINTED man is to stand in Christ's stead. Christ chooses who stands for him. Man doesn't choose man. That's where religion, world wide, has failed - in it's faith and reliance upon man, as opposed to faith in the one true God.

Anyway, I am prepared to have this post ripped apart by the ones who generally don't believe the bible, and that's fine. But it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

binky
07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
^ ... its a good opinion, too.

Sponge
07-17-2007, 07:20 PM
This will certainly stir controversy, but it's my opinion: The Catholic Church has no grounds to stand on to criticize other churches. (On a side note, I think all denominationalism is wrong because it creates seperation from brotherhood, which is what Christ preached - but that's another subject). The Catholic Church does every thing the bible speaks against. Idolatry is enormous in catholicism. They pray with beads, bow at statues, pray to intercessors. The bible plainly says that there is but ONE intercessor between God and man. And it isn't Mary. I think that the Catholic church stands against Christ. They put a man in the stead of Christ. Which, by the way, is written in Latin on the Pope's throne: affilia de vi carus (I think that is spelled correctly) directly translates to IN the STEAD OF CHRIST. No APPOINTED man is to stand in Christ's stead. Christ chooses who stands for him. Man doesn't choose man. That's where religion, world wide, has failed - in it's faith and reliance upon man, as opposed to faith in the one true God.

Anyway, I am prepared to have this post ripped apart by the ones who generally don't believe the bible, and that's fine. But it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I don't believe the Bible, but I think it's an excellent post. You've clearly stated some of the major problems with religion and its *******ization by man, particularly by an institution which may be corrupt and self-serving. When I read the Bible, I didn't see anything about the church hoarding wealth and controlling its members through fear and judgement. I see commandments that promote love and respect for neighbors, parents etc. As for brotherhood, I see nothing inherent in Christianity that would discourage Christians from being brothers and sisters with all other religions.

Mike13
07-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I think all denominationalism is wrong because it creates seperation from brotherhood

And yet you go on to attack the Catholic Church.

His "Holiness" has been on quite a role lately hasn't he though?
My guess is that he'll take aim at Scientologists next.

DolfinDave
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Colbert had a good line the other night about this. He mentioned how the Pope made these comments. And then he mentioned how they now have to pay $660 million to people out in LA because of sexual harrasment suits. Colbert said this proves they are the one true denomination because what other church has the funds to pay off that kind of suit?

Aussiefinfan54
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
good on him, good to see the pope holding up the catholic church and sticking it to the 'non churches'.

“Christ ‘established here on earth’ only one church,” the document said. The other communities “cannot be called ‘churches’ in the proper sense” because they do not have apostolic succession — the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ’s original apostles.

Sponge
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't believe the Bible, but I think it's an excellent post. You've clearly stated some of the major problems with religion and its *******ization by man, particularly by an institution which may be corrupt and self-serving. When I read the Bible, I didn't see anything about the church hoarding wealth and controlling its members through fear and judgement. I see commandments that promote love and respect for neighbors, parents etc. As for brotherhood, I see nothing inherent in Christianity that would discourage Christians from being brothers and sisters with all other religions.

Apparently, I set off the profanity filter with the *'d word in the second sentence. My apologies if it did, but I think the word I used is actually the correct term and not considered profane. I'll try to think of a synonym in future.