PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone think the jets are so good?

Dolphanboy101
07-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I hate how people say the jets are close to the pats and are way ahead of us. In my eyes, pennington is no better than green, thomas jones is deffinitly not as good of a runner as Ronnie, Vilma is the only household name on their D. Its time for us to shut some people up.

lbmclean_sj
07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
their o-line is much better than ours, until proven otherwise

FIUDolphinsFan
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM

i guess that explains it? :confused::confused::confused:

ashraf-23
07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I hate how people say the jets are close to the pats and are way ahead of us. In my eyes, pennington is no better than green, thomas jones is deffinitly not as good of a runner as Ronnie, Vilma is the only household name on their D. Its time for us to shut some people up.
I agree with you completly.

dolpns13
07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Because they made the playoffs lastr year, albiet they had the easiest 5 remaing game schedule in the league

dolpns13
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM

and he is only slightly above average at best

madisonfan90
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Maybe its because they are a NYC team.

DownUnderFin13
07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Thats going to change after this year when we kick their arse.

FINatic054
07-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Circumventing the profanity filter is also not permitted

icephinfan
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
:jetssuck::jetssuck::jetssuck: :cooldude:

#1dolphinsfan
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
yea untell they loss kendal and then there line will go to crap

phinphan4life
07-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I hate the jets as much as anyone else here does, but they were a better team than us last year. Aside from that they will almost always get more press than us because of the New York media. Having said that...
:monkeyr: JETS :monkeyl: :jetssuck:

FiveStar
07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
And this is in the Dolphins forum why??

gunn34
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Didn't they finish near last on both O and D? I don't get it either. I think they'll be one of the worst teams this year. Bottom 10.

jlfin
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM

How so? I have read that Ferguson was a relative disappointment. He was an average LT. They are high on Mangold. Kendall is disgruntled, but his potential replacement is more questionable than anyone we have on our O-line. Their RG and RT are ok, nothing special.
I wouldn't exaggerate and say their line is MUCH better.

Alex44
07-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I think we closed some of the gap, but the fact is they made the playoffs and we didn't.

nyjunc
07-12-2007, 06:02 AM

We aren't that much better than you guys and you have the ability to be better than us but chad is better than Green., jones has been the better Rb the last 2 years btw he and Ronnie(though Ronnie has more potential), who cares about household names? it's about production. We got alot better the 2nd half last year and we have alot of talent on D. Your D full of household names has gotten you zero playoff appearances since 2002 and 1 playoff win this decade.

Because they made the playoffs lastr year, albiet they had the easiest 5 remaing game schedule in the league

We played almost identical sheds, we beat teams like GB and Houston and you couldn't.

and he is only slightly above average at best

he's a very goodplayer, his #s were down last year but you don't use #sto judge ILBs and he was adjusting to a new system. Kerry Rhodes may not be a household name but there wasn't a better S in all of football last year than kerry.

Thats going to change after this year when we kick their arse.

I have been hearing that or a long time.

I hate the jets as much as anyone else here does, but they were a better team than us last year. Aside from that they will almost always get more press than us because of the New York media. Having said that...
:monkeyr: JETS :monkeyl: :jetssuck:

That is nonsense. You guys lways get better press even though you've one nothing in a long time. heck people were picking you guys for the SB last year when you had't even been a playoff contender in a few years. the only year this decade we got alot of great press was 2002.

How so? I have read that Ferguson was a relative disappointment. He was an average LT. They are high on Mangold. Kendall is disgruntled, but his potential replacement is more questionable than anyone we have on our O-line. Their RG and RT are ok, nothing special.
I wouldn't exaggerate and say their line is MUCH better.

Ferguson was a ROOKIE, he played very wel a good portion of the year but faded late. he was average last year but as long as he improves like alot f 2nd yr players will he'll be fine. we lost Kevin mawae(arguably a HOF C) and didn't miss him for a second- thattells you how good Manold was, Kendall is agood player and we'l be worse ifwe lose him but we won't fall part. The OL should be better this year than last year w/ or w/o pete based on the groeth of the 2 2n yr players.

Beacuse their coach has man boobs and fellow coaches with man boobs (Parcells and Bellchick) are all the rage. :wink:

I never really though of that but you could be on to something:lol:

rdhstlr23
07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Good post NYJunc. The Jets have to be respected as a playoff team. We, as Miami fans, can say all we want...but the fact of the matter is, the Jets beat the teams they were supposed to and we did not. They earned that right to go to the playoffs. I don't know if they will make the playoffs this year looking at their schedule. I actually don't believe they will, but that's neither here nor there.

You have to look at facts. They have never missed the playoffs with a healthy Pennington. It'll be interesting to see if Chad makes it through the entire season healthy...I think there is some stat out there that he hasn't played in more than 23 straight games. However, if he's healthy, that gives them a shot right there. Mangini is a good football coach, and they have a lot of youth on their football team. I don't believe they are by far and away more talented or better than us. However, they find ways to win---which is the greatest attribute to have as a team. It seems as though Miami finds ways to lose.

miami#1
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
dont have much to say other than:jetssuck:

SpurzN703
07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Shut your trap, greenie.

:lol: Where are my GD sigs man? :tongue:

BwanaZulia
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
The fact that they swept us and we were Super Bowl bound last year.......;)

Like I always say: Next year mother****ers!!!!!

I almost forgot about your Super Bowl last year... thanks for reminding.

Jets are predicted to be good because:
- 10-6
- Playoffs
- Almost all returning starters
- Added TJ

Dolphins are unknown (and probably predicted to be bad because)
- QB up in the air (for like 5 years in a row)
- Older defense
- Unproven running game
- New HC
- No WR threats

As I say to my wife all the time, the Dolphins could be the team that turns it around and surprises the most.

BZ

Zeke0123
07-12-2007, 04:51 PM
The Jets overachieved last year but people want to treat that like its a bad thing....Its not.. the Fins have perenially underachieved the last 10 years but almost always look good "on paper" lets see If Cam can turn that around..I think he can but go ahead and read my sig :D.

nyjunc
07-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Good post NYJunc. The Jets have to be respected as a playoff team. We, as Miami fans, can say all we want...but the fact of the matter is, the Jets beat the teams they were supposed to and we did not. They earned that right to go to the playoffs. I don't know if they will make the playoffs this year looking at their schedule. I actually don't believe they will, but that's neither here nor there.

You have to look at facts. They have never missed the playoffs with a healthy Pennington. It'll be interesting to see if Chad makes it through the entire season healthy...I think there is some stat out there that he hasn't played in more than 23 straight games. However, if he's healthy, that gives them a shot right there. Mangini is a good football coach, and they have a lot of youth on their football team. I don't believe they are by far and away more talented or better than us. However, they find ways to win---which is the greatest attribute to have as a team. It seems as though Miami finds ways to lose.

As long as Chad is healthy we win. Actually the # is 17 staright games not 23. the final 9 of '03 and the first 8 of '04 but hopefully he gets to 32 this year w/ another full season.

arsenal
07-13-2007, 08:01 AM
yeah jets definitely overachieved last year... statistically you look at them and they didn't seem very good, but they were opportunistic and took advantage of other teams mistakes... they also barely squeaked by with both their wins against us (damn you leon washington and mare)...

next year they are ours though! :ninja:

BwanaZulia
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM

And next year, in 2008, you might be ready to beat us! :)

BZ

retired opfinistic
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I almost forgot about your Super Bowl last year... thanks for reminding.:lol: You liar. :tantrum:

Jets are predicted to be good because:
- 10-6
- Playoffs
- Almost all returning starters
- Added TJ

Dolphins are unknown (and probably predicted to be bad because)
- QB up in the air (for like 5 years in a row) Hopefully Green is a decent stop gap
- Older defense but still tough as nails.
- Unproven running game New OL, Booker? Interesting.
- New HC Can't be worse than Saban (but I said that about Saban/Wanny) :unsure:
- No WR threats Errr....Chambers....Booker....Brown....Ginn.....:err:

As I say to my wife all the time, the Dolphins could be the team that turns it around and surprises the most. And she says the couch is cold. :wink:

BZ

Stop by Junkies, bro. :wink:

BwanaZulia
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM

I will stop by, but I am finding it more difficult to maintain the huge amount of forums I belong to.

Maybe when the season gets started.

BZ

retired opfinistic
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I will stop by, but I am finding it more difficult to maintain the huge amount of forums I belong to.

Maybe when the season gets started.

BZ

Oh yeah, we'll be seeing you then, I'm sure. :wink:

BwanaZulia
07-13-2007, 11:38 AM

I just stopped by, but with 55 users it is going to be hard to keep all those boards going.

BZ

like2god
07-13-2007, 11:38 AM

BZ is good people, he'll be there.

like2god
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I just stopped by, but with 55 users it is going to be hard to keep all those boards going.

BZ
:lol:

See opie, I told ya.

Pop in whenever you get the chance bro.

Enforcerfin33
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
what is junkies?

retired opfinistic
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
what is junkies?

bunch of crackheads talking about crack. :wink:

BleedinGreenNC
07-13-2007, 07:11 PM
what is junkies?

The new Depths!!

J/K!!:ninja:

Mr.Right
07-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Please....:rolleyes:....the New JERSEY Jets beat ONE team with a "winning record" during the 2006 season, and that team (New England) proved what a 'fluke' that was by beating them twice (once in regular season, and again in the playoffs) :err:
I posted this FACT on the Jets message board and was :banned: immediately!
Sorry, Jets fans...but no one takes your team 'seriously' :nono: Let us know when they actually beat somebody "good"! :wink:

:jetssuck:

GridIronKing34
07-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Please....:rolleyes:....the New JERSEY Jets beat ONE team with a "winning record" during the 2006 season, and that team (New England) proved what a 'fluke' that was by beating them twice (once in regular season, and again in the playoffs) :err:
Sorry, Jets fans...but no one takes your team 'seriously' :nono: Let us know when they actually beat somebody "good"! :wink:

:0wned:

BwanaZulia
07-14-2007, 06:08 AM

No one should take the Jets seriously, just keep focusing on the fact that the Dolphins haven't made the playoffs in 5 years and take that very seriously.

BZ

Mr.Right
07-14-2007, 10:49 AM
No one should take the Jets seriously, just keep focusing on the fact that the Dolphins haven't made the playoffs in 5 years and take that very seriously.

BZ
....and my favorite team (San Francisco) hasn't 'made' the post-season in four years :shakeno: I'm just saying...if THEY played the same schedule that the Jets had last year, they probably would've recieved a first-round bye! :wink:
....what a joke. :rolleyes:

BwanaZulia
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
....and my favorite team (San Francisco) hasn't 'made' the post-season in four years :shakeno: I'm just saying...if THEY played the same schedule that the Jets had last year, they probably would've recieved a first-round bye! :wink:

Uhuh... except for two years ago when the Dolphins had a cake schedule to end the season... they missed the playoffs.

Add a few more "ifs" to your season and you will be winning the Super Bowl, just like last year.

BZ

Mr.Right
07-14-2007, 02:05 PM
:topic: We're 'talkin' Jets here!
....the 2006 so-called playoff "contenders" who couldn't beat ONE SINGLE team with a "winning record" (NE went 2-3 against ya') :rolleyes: Gawd, the Browns even trounced New Jersey :D So when I saw a thread about how "good" the Jets are supposed to be, I thought i'd add a few FACTS to the discussion. :wink:

....plus, i'm still a little 'annoyed' about being kicked-off your message board following the first-round blowout that I correctly 'predicted'!:tantrum:

Jetsfan0099
07-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I dont get why you guys are talking like your teams are so much better, when you had the same opportunity to beat the same teams we beat. But you didnt. You can whine and complain about how the Jets arent as good, but the fact is they win, when our QB is healthy.The whole Jets organization is getting better, I am seeing a superbowl trophy soon being held high by the New York Jets!!

Jetsfan0099
07-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Personal attacks/smack not permitted.

nyjunc
07-16-2007, 06:32 AM
yeah jets definitely overachieved last year... statistically you look at them and they didn't seem very good, but they were opportunistic and took advantage of other teams mistakes... they also barely squeaked by with both their wins against us (damn you leon washington and mare)...

We were up 20-3 in the 4th of the 1st game, we had problems putting teams away early in the year but we controlled that game. the 2nd game was dictated by weather, it was a monsoon in the 1st half and no one could score.

arsenal
07-16-2007, 10:12 AM
We were up 20-3 in the 4th of the 1st game, we had problems putting teams away early in the year but we controlled that game. the 2nd game was dictated by weather, it was a monsoon in the 1st half and no one could score.

yeah but we had a chance to tie it at the end of the first game, but Mare missed, it was a long field goal, but oh well...

the second game against you guys i put a lot of blame on mularkey, ronnie was running wild yet we did not run 1 time on numerous 3rd and shorts and our 3rd down % was horrible, like 1-15 or something dumb... and of course that damn leon washington screen pass...

but it dont matter, this year we're dominating :ninja:

BleedinGreenNC
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Just like you were going to the SB last year right?

GreenMachine
07-19-2007, 03:11 AM

Newsflash:

NE beat just 2 teams with a winning record....NYJ and Chicago...:rolleyes:

Greatness920
07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
i guess people think the jets are good cuz they made the playoffs last year i dont see what makes them so different from us just cuz they got thomas jones and revis?? now they are allstar caliber team

Mr.Right
07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Newsflash:

NE beat just 2 teams with a winning record....NYJ and Chicago...:rolleyes:

....the 14-2 San Diego Chargers? :dunno:

Jets81
07-19-2007, 12:53 PM
....and my favorite team (San Francisco)

Mr.Right
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
You DO realize that the 2006 San Francisco 49ers defeated more "winning" (over.500) teams than your New Jersey Jets did? :eek2:

.....of course, so did the Cleveland Browns! :D

miami#1
07-19-2007, 01:46 PM
found this on utube some good jet smashing!

OvRBQy9RCSA

Jets81
07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
You DO realize that the 2006 San Francisco 49ers defeated more "winning" (over.500) teams than your New Jersey Jets did? :eek2:

.....of course, so did the Cleveland Browns! :D

Yea, and the Phins beat the Bears last season. Lotta good it did them. Your team is as good as it's record indicates, not as good as the best team it beat.

Mike13
07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Just like you were going to the SB last year right?

Yep and I was in a 3 way with Kate and Elisha, oh wait that was a dream I had.

And next year, in 2008, you might be ready to beat us! :)

Its sad as hell that we keep saying next year this and next year that.

miami#1
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Yep and I was in a 3 way with Kate and Elisha, oh wait that was a dream I had.

Its sad as hell that we keep saying next year this and next year that.

stay optomistic at least i havent heard one person say "well we sucked last year i give up"

GreenMachine
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
....the 14-2 San Diego Chargers? :dunno:

When did the Pats play the Chargers in THE REGULAR SEASON?:rolleyes:

Scott Pioli
07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
The Jets aren't that good. They have a ok team with a tough schedule this year. Besides, teams that usually make a jump forward slide back the next year. I do think they are better than Miami, but they'll finish far behind NE this year. I'm guessing 8-8 at best for the Jets.

The Jets showed themselves in that playoff game in Foxboro last year when they quit once it started to get away from them.

Mr.Right
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
When did the Pats play the Chargers in THE REGULAR SEASON?:rolleyes:
So the post-season 'doesn't matter' now?!?!? :confused2
....I guess it wouldn't when your 'heroes' who are supposed to be so "good" (as the title of this thread would indicate) get pummeled 37-16? :shakeno:

The only thing the Jets 'proved' last year is that they were capable of beating teams like the Raiders, Texans, Lions, and Bills.:clapping:
Does that really make them a "good team"? :dunno:

I think not......

GreenMachine
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
So the post-season 'doesn't matter' now?!?!? :confused2
....I guess it wouldn't when your 'heroes' who are supposed to be so "good" (as the title of this thread would indicate) get pummeled 37-16? :shakeno:

The only thing the Jets 'proved' last year is that they were capable of beating teams like the Raiders, Texans, Lions, and Bills.:clapping:
Does that really make them a "good team"? :dunno:

I think not......

well they did beat the SB favorite Dolphins twice....:ninja:

Mr.Right
07-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, the 6-10 Miami Dolphins were also no match for the mighty Jets! :rolleyes:

......still NOT impressed! :nono:

Mike13
07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
stay optomistic at least i havent heard one person say "well we sucked last year i give up"

You're not much of a fan if you do say that.

Jets81
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, the 6-10 Miami Dolphins were also no match for the mighty Jets! :rolleyes:

......still NOT impressed! :nono:

Says the 49ers fan. :lol:

Eliot
07-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Didn't they finish near last on both O and D? I don't get it either. I think they'll be one of the worst teams this year. Bottom 10.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is actually quite interesting so I did some research on it.

Total Offense
Dolphins - 20th
Jets - 25th

Total Defense
Dolphins - 4th
Jets - 20th

This is amazing isn't it? We're better in both statistics, even on Offense and clearly on Defense (nothing new). But the Total Defense statistic is not a good indicator for successful teams anyway. Out of the Top 4 Teams in Total Defense only one (Baltimore) went to the playoffs. Oakland (3rd) even finished with the worst record giving them the right to pick first in the draft.

BUT the answer to our disappointing season and to the question stated in this thread lies in Scoring Offense/Defense. So let's take a look at that:

Scoring Offense
Dolphins - 29th
Jets - 18th

Scoring Defense
Dolphins - 5th
Jets - 6th

Scoring Offense is one of the best indicators for Playoff-Teams. All Top 7 Teams in this statistics went to the playoffs and the first team to finish below .500 is Arizona at 19.

It's as simple as that. We just couldn't score last year. But we are not that far away from being a playoff team. Let's hope for Cam to get this offense going and scoring.

BleedinGreenNC
07-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. This is actually quite interesting so I did some research on it.

Total Offense
Dolphins - 20th
Jets - 25th

Total Defense
Dolphins - 4th
Jets - 20th

This is amazing isn't it? We're better in both statistics, even on Offense and clearly on Defense (nothing new). But the Total Defense statistic is not a good indicator for successful teams anyway. Out of the Top 4 Teams in Total Defense only one (Baltimore) went to the playoffs. Oakland (3rd) even finished with the worst record giving them the right to pick first in the draft.

BUT the answer to our disappointing season and to the question stated in this thread lies in Scoring Offense/Defense. So let's take a look at that:

Scoring Offense
Dolphins - 29th
Jets - 18th

Scoring Defense
Dolphins - 5th
Jets - 6th

Scoring Offense is one of the best indicators for Playoff-Teams. All Top 7 Teams in this statistics went to the playoffs and the first team to finish below .500 is Arizona at 19.

It's as simple as that. We just couldn't score last year. But we are not that far away from being a playoff team. Let's hope for Cam to get this offense going and scoring.

Very well put, i like the research!

muscle979
07-21-2007, 01:45 PM
The Jets had stability at QB and offensive line last season. They had solid coaching and almost always beat the weaker teams that they faced. Since most of their schedule was weaker teams that was good enough to get them into the playoffs. Their offense was nothing spectacular but it definitely seemed efficient. Same with their D. Whether or not they'll be able to duplicate that success again this season remains to be seen. I don't think they'll be a bottom 10 team. In recent seasons they've usually seemed to live or die by Chad Pennington's health.

NativeFloridian
07-21-2007, 06:28 PM
we are going to be third in the division this year mabey 2nd at best

BleedinGreenNC
07-22-2007, 01:49 PM
[quote=muscle979;1062219064]The Jets had stability at QB and offensive line last season. Since most of their schedule was weaker teams that was good enough to get them into the playoffs. [quote]

I think that our opponents win % was about the same, so the easy schedule went out the window a looooong time ago!

PennyAndTheJets
07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
All teams in the AFC east had nearly the same schedules so i hate when jets haters pull out the easy schedule card cuz its garbage

Eliot
07-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I agree, it's nonsense to use the Easy-Schedule-Argument especially on teams within the same division.

Since 14 games are always the same for every team in the division it's hard to make a big argument for the remaining two having such an impact. Even if you leave out those two games for the Jets (Loss at Cleveland; Win against Oakland) they still went 9-5 against teams everybody had to face.

rdhstlr23
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
It's not a bad argument at all. The Jets were a better team than Miami. That is evident in their head-to-head battles, as well as their record's against common opponents. However, saying that the Jets were the beneficiaries of a weak schedule isn't a false statement at all. They beat one opponent with a winning record. That is a fact. The Jaguars were a beneficiary of an easy schedule in 2005. They didn't make the playoffs last year with a much more difficult schedule. We'll see what the Jets will do this year.

muscle979
07-22-2007, 09:47 PM
[quote=muscle979;1062219064]The Jets had stability at QB and offensive line last season. Since most of their schedule was weaker teams that was good enough to get them into the playoffs. [quote]

I think that our opponents win % was about the same, so the easy schedule went out the window a looooong time ago!

They finished last in 05 so they were scheduled against two other last place teams. I'm sure you all know how the scheduling works. Even two or three games makes a difference. But go on thinking the Jets were a powerhouse. Being better than a team run by the egomaniac, in over his head Nick saban and one run by two guys who are nursing home age is not some kind of monumental achievement. The Jets did the fundamentals (besides running) well and benefited from an easy schedule. The 06 Jets = the 05 Jags.

Eliot
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
AFC East against common opponents
New England 11-3
New York 9-5
Buffalo 7-7
Miami 5-9

As you can see the 2 remaining games did not effect the outcome of this division. The Jets might not be as good as their record but they have clearly been the second best team within those 4 last season.

However I'd say there have been some better teams that didn't make the playoffs in the AFC instead of the Jets. But after all they've won 10 games and Miami alone played a bigger role in those wins than Cleveland and Oakland.

NativeFloridian
07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
they have a really solid offense this year, Thomas Jones, Chad Pennington, Cothery, Coles.....

Jets81
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
they have a really solid offense this year, Thomas Jones, Chad Pennington, Cothery, Coles.....

Don't forget Leon Washington! :D