PDA

View Full Version : Organic farming could feed the world

ckb2001
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I guess this it's worth noting that you don't have to use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides to feed everyone on the planet.

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12245-organic-farming-could-feed-the-world.html

"A switch to organic farming would not reduce the world's food supply and could also increase food security in developing countries, say the authors of a new study.

They claim their findings lay to rest the debate over whether organic farming could sustainably feed the world. Organic farming avoids or heavily restricts the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilisers, as well as livestock feed additives.

Ivette Perfecto of the University of Michigan in the US and her colleagues found that, in developed countries, organic systems on average produce 92% of the yield produced by conventional agriculture. In developing countries, however, organic systems produce 80% more than conventional farms."
-------------------------

Puka-head
07-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I guess this it's worth noting that you don't have to use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides to feed everyone on the planet.

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12245-organic-farming-could-feed-the-world.html

"A switch to organic farming would not reduce the world's food supply and could also increase food security in developing countries, say the authors of a new study.

They claim their findings lay to rest the debate over whether organic farming could sustainably feed the world. Organic farming avoids or heavily restricts the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilisers, as well as livestock feed additives.

Ivette Perfecto of the University of Michigan in the US and her colleagues found that, in developed countries, organic systems on average produce 92% of the yield produced by conventional agriculture. In developing countries, however, organic systems produce 80% more than conventional farms."
-------------------------
Add in the health benefits leading to a drastic reduction in obesity, diabetes and all the other nutritional ailments we suffer from eating underdeveloped produce, and you get a HUGE benefit.

cnc66
07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Add in the health benefits leading to a drastic reduction in obesity, diabetes and all the other nutritional ailments we suffer from eating underdeveloped produce, and you get a HUGE benefit.

I don't get this, could you explain it for me please?

Den54
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM

I'll take a small stab at it.
Today's produce is very defeciant in vitimins and minerals due to
poor quality of soil perhaps from a lack of regular crop rotation.
There are many other reasons but I'll defer to someone more informed.

Puka-head
07-15-2007, 06:40 PM
It's something called flavinoids (I think) and organic produce has 80+% more than the mass produced stuff. Fruits and vegetables that are allowed to ripen "on the vine" are WAY more nutritous. Diabetes and obesity are the two most commonly refered to ailments but there has also been a severe increase in allergys, asthma and other immune deficiency type things (too many big words)
The mass produced stuff we import from Chile and New Zealand is picked before its ripe so that it looks more presentable at market and has a long enough shelf life to make it there.
I have switched to almost all organic produce for my family and the difference in flavor and nutrition is well worth the extra expense. That and we aren't getting as many little sniffles and what not has me believing, organic is better.

cnc66
07-15-2007, 07:22 PM
It's something called flavinoids (I think) and organic produce has 80+% more than the mass produced stuff. Fruits and vegetables that are allowed to ripen "on the vine" are WAY more nutritous. Diabetes and obesity are the two most commonly refered to ailments but there has also been a severe increase in allergys, asthma and other immune deficiency type things (too many big words)
The mass produced stuff we import from Chile and New Zealand is picked before its ripe so that it looks more presentable at market and has a long enough shelf life to make it there.
I have switched to almost all organic produce for my family and the difference in flavor and nutrition is well worth the extra expense. That and we aren't getting as many little sniffles and what not has me believing, organic is better.

Thanks to you both. That make sense to me... gassing the veggies, shipping green, before the sun has finished packing them with nutrition. It gives us "out of season" choices, but the overall quality suffers. I am surprised at the health connections... I shouldn't be I guess, but I am. I would have thought the overall decline in unrefined foodstuffs would have been the overwhelming issue.

I was taught by example very young to get my veggies at a local stand and foster a relationship with the owners. It is a rare occasion that I buy anything at the supermarket(although two of the green grocers are football friends). I have gotten my veggies from the same family here in Jensen now for 18 years. Mr. Barbour knows some stuff about finding good 'maters and peppers.

Puka-head
07-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks to you both. That make sense to me... gassing the veggies, shipping green, before the sun has finished packing them with nutrition. It gives us "out of season" choices, but the overall quality suffers. I am surprised at the health connections... I shouldn't be I guess, but I am. I would have thought the overall decline in unrefined foodstuffs would have been the overwhelming issue.

I was taught by example very young to get my veggies at a local stand and foster a relationship with the owners. It is a rare occasion that I buy anything at the supermarket(although two of the green grocers are football friends). I have gotten my veggies from the same family here in Jensen now for 18 years. Mr. Barbour knows some stuff about finding good 'maters and peppers.
The other thing to do, believe it or not, is to buy the frozen stuff. Since it is processed right after picking the veggies are usually allowed to ripen fully before freezing, still dealing with pesticides and fertilizers, not as many preservatives.
Sounds like you've been eating organic already and didn't know it,:wink: getting your fruits and vegetables from the local farmers market or family farm is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Den54
07-15-2007, 08:21 PM
The best apples I've ever eaten were organic.
Sweet and crunchy. One of the drawbacks I hear about organics is that they take longer to reach your grocery store, so the produce is actualy older and tends to spoil quicker.

Sponge
07-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Very interesting information about the organics, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize all the benefits although it seems clear in hindsight. Count me switched to organic as of today.

As a side note, I went quasi-vegetarian a month ago (still eat fish and eggs) and feel great. I also lost 20 pounds after increasing exercising around the same time. I had been thinking of changing my diet for years, but always thought it would be difficult to get used to. It wasn't.

ckb2001
07-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Here's some new research on flavonoids in tomatoes in organic fields:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070716134018.htm

"Levels of flavonoids increase over time in crops grown in organically farmed fields, according to a rare long-term study scheduled for publication in the July 18 issue of ACS’ Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a bi-weekly publication

Other research has suggested that consumption of flavonoids may protect against cancer, heart disease, and other age-related diseases.

“The levels of flavonoids increased over time in samples from organic treatments, whereas the levels of flavonoids did not vary significantly in conventional treatments,” their report stated.
----------------

Puka-head
07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
The best apples I've ever eaten were organic.
Sweet and crunchy. One of the drawbacks I hear about organics is that they take longer to reach your grocery store, so the produce is actualy older and tends to spoil quicker.
Actually most organic produce is grown closer to your home by smaller farmers. It does spoil quicker but thats because it is picked when it's ripe, not weeks before. It does take a little more shopping, I go 3x a week for fresh fruits and veggies and only buy what I need for those days, you also kind of have to work with whats available and in season, but that's fun too.

HansMojo
07-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Very interesting information about the organics, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize all the benefits although it seems clear in hindsight. Count me switched to organic as of today.

As a side note, I went quasi-vegetarian a month ago (still eat fish and eggs) and feel great. I also lost 20 pounds after increasing exercising around the same time. I had been thinking of changing my diet for years, but always thought it would be difficult to get used to. It wasn't.
Sponge, that's great! I went veggie in 92 and have never regretted it. I first cut out red meats, then fowl, and finally fish. It was an easy transition that way. We still eat dairy, but mostly out of convenience. In other words, we don't eat much of it at home, but it's hard to get away from it in restaurants and at other people homes. Instead of milk, we use fortified almond milk (awesome taste). Instead of butter, cheese, sour cream, mayo, and ice cream, etc. we use vegan substitutes which almost always taste better to me anyway. But again, we don't make these an issue away from home since it complicates things. We just prefer them. We buy probably 80% organic and would do more but it's not always possible. My family is never sick. Neither of my kids have ever missed a day of school. And all my carnivorous friends rave over my wife's cooking and all say they would switch if they could eat like me. But you have to eat a balanced diet. Too many vegetarians eat an unbalanced diet and it would be better for them to eat meat. But a healthy veggie diet cannot be beat. IMHO. :)

HansMojo
07-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Actually most organic produce is grown closer to your home by smaller farmers. It does spoil quicker but thats because it is picked when it's ripe, not weeks before. It does take a little more shopping, I go 3x a week for fresh fruits and veggies and only buy what I need for those days, you also kind of have to work with whats available and in season, but that's fun too.I love buying tree ripened fruit rather than green picked spray ripened fruit. Yummy!

NativeFloridian
07-21-2007, 05:17 PM
organic food tastes the best