PDA

View Full Version : New Update on Sony Price Cut

Bruzer
07-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Reading a article today this is one of the most ridiculous things Sony could do. The 60gb model that was cut down to 499 is being discontinued for the states. So if you want to get a cheap ps3 you got to get it soon because their will be no more one the 80gb comes out back at 599.

All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/say-what%3F/60gb-ps3-being-taken-out-to-pasture-278039.php

Agent51
07-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Reading a article today this is one of the most ridiculous things Sony could do. The 60gb model that was cut down to 499 is being discontinued for the states. So if you want to get a cheap ps3 you got to get it soon because their will be no more one the 80gb comes out back at 599.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/say-what%3F/60gb-ps3-being-taken-out-to-pasture-278039.php

Not really seeing how this is "the most ridiculous thing they could do". They already discontinued the 20GB model because it wasn't selling, and if their plan all along was to release the 80GB model then this is actually smart. They drop the price of the 60GB model to generate sales to move the product. It's a LOT smarter then keeping the 60GB model at $599, announcing they are discontinuing it, then releasing the 80GB model at something even higher. What they are basically doing is giving you a free 20GB now, since the 80GB model is $599, which is what the 60GB model was all along, so how is that stupid?

If they pulld the 60GB model and released ONLY the 80GB model and at more than $599 then yeah, it'd be "the most ridiculous thing", but I fail to see how making their $599 offering 20GB bigger at no additional price is a bad thing. It'd be just like if MS decided to drop the core system completely, lower the premium system by $100, and then release the Elite at $399.

Bruzer
07-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Not really seeing how this is "the most ridiculous thing they could do". They already discontinued the 20GB model because it wasn't selling, and if their plan all along was to release the 80GB model then this is actually smart. They drop the price of the 60GB model to generate sales to move the product. It's a LOT smarter then keeping the 60GB model at $599, announcing they are discontinuing it, then releasing the 80GB model at something even higher. What they are basically doing is giving you a free 20GB now, since the 80GB model is $599, which is what the 60GB model was all along, so how is that stupid?

If they pulld the 60GB model and released ONLY the 80GB model and at more than $599 then yeah, it'd be "the most ridiculous thing", but I fail to see how making their $599 offering 20GB bigger at no additional price is a bad thing. It'd be just like if MS decided to drop the core system completely, lower the premium system by $100, and then release the Elite at $399.

Yea I worded it too strongly its 6:00 am trying to get ready for work lol I overstated it. Although why not just keep the 60gb model I mean they would probably sell it much better than thier 80gb model and sony could use the help right now.

What is also dumb is they are still going to sell 60gb in europe but not the states wtf is that. Also with the xbox 360 example atleast they are still giving you a choice of a system 100$ cheaper sony is completely removing the other systems.

Agent51
07-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Yea I worded it too strongly its 6:00 am trying to get ready for work lol I overstated it. Although why not just keep the 60gb model I mean they would probably sell it much better than thier 80gb model and sony could use the help right now.

What is also dumb is they are still going to sell 60gb in europe but not the states wtf is that. Also with the xbox 360 example atleast they are still giving you a choice of a system 100$ cheaper sony is completely removing the other systems.

This I tend to agree with. I personally have never liked the idea of having multiple incarnations of a system in the first place, but the longer the 360 has been out, and then with the PS3, I see why they would do it, because it basiacally caters to a wider audience because pure gamers can buy the cheaper systems while hardcore people who want the online play and media features can go for the "loaded" systems. This makes me question why PS3 would cut the 60GB model altogether instead of keeping it as a lower option, but who knows, maybe they know something we don't :lol:.

On a semi-side note, wasn't the PS3 rumored to have replaceable HDs, so you could just get a bigger one if you wanted to? Did that fall through before launch or can you really replace the HD with any size you want? If so, just buy the 60GB model while you can (not you persay Bruzer, just people in general) and then find a super good deal on a massive HD and put it in there and you're all set.

dolphan117
07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Is Sony run by fricking morons? You don't announce a huge price cut and then go "Yeah, but its only for a month". And sure I see the point about lowering the price on the 60 gig if you are trying to phase it out but its a PR nightmare to announce a price cut and get a bunch of gamers exited only to take it away after a month.

I just wonder how this will effect the 360 price drop, I mean they really don't have to know, except they already announced that they would. Probably a $50 drop or so. It doesn't need to be anything drastic now. Sometimes I hate Sony.

Motion
07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Well that sucks. If they were gonna discontinue it, they should have dropped it down to $300-400 to wipe them out quick.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Well that sucks. If they were gonna discontinue it, they should have dropped it down to $300-400 to wipe them out quick.

That would have got me to get one, lol.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Is Sony run by fricking morons? You don't announce a huge price cut and then go "Yeah, but its only for a month". And sure I see the point about lowering the price on the 60 gig if you are trying to phase it out but its a PR nightmare to announce a price cut and get a bunch of gamers exited only to take it away after a month.

I just wonder how this will effect the 360 price drop, I mean they really don't have to know, except they already announced that they would. Probably a $50 drop or so. It doesn't need to be anything drastic now. Sometimes I hate Sony.

I never saw an official announcement.

SpurzN703
07-13-2007, 08:30 AM
That would have got me to get one, lol.

Same here dude. But now I'm satisfied with my 360 even more. 499 was too much for me let alone 599.

Oh well :)

Stitches
07-13-2007, 08:38 AM

Also to warrant the $100 price difference, they include Motorstorm.

Phin-o-rama
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
you can replace the ps3 harddrive...its one of the cool things you can do with the machine

there are directions in the sony manual on how to do it.

stupid move, im not paying 100 bucks for motorstorm....20 gig is so small....i think its dumb

Stitches
07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
you can replace the ps3 harddrive...its one of the cool things you can do with the machine

there are directions in the sony manual on how to do it.

stupid move, im not paying 100 bucks for motorstorm....20 gig is so small....i think its dumb

Well you are actually either paying $100 less and getting the old model, or paying the same price and getting an extra 20gig and Motorstorm.

If you're looking at it how you are though, you might as well get the 60gig while you can.

Motion
07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Ugh, this sucks. When are they gonna realize that they need a spark to level the playing field. They need a legit price drop for the holiday season.

mor911
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Well... This was a stupid move if anything. Hey Sony, people want it to be AFFORDABLE! Not have you fluff it up and still charge $600. Some marketing guy thinks he's soooooo smart with this crap too.

This is a double wammy cause now Microsoft doesn't have to lower the price of the 360.

Motion
07-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Well... This was a stupid move if anything. Hey Sony, people want it to be AFFORDABLE! Not have you fluff it up and still charge $600. Some marketing guy thinks he's soooooo smart with this crap too.

This is a double wammy cause now Microsoft doesn't have to lower the price of the 360.

Or they still could and distance themselves even further. :shakeno:

SpurzN703
07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
What would be the big deal in selling PS3's for 399? I mean that's still even a little too expensive but it's more affordable then what's out there now.

Do they not do that b/c they'd lose money somehow?

Motion
07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
What would be the big deal in selling PS3's for 399? I mean that's still even a little too expensive but it's more affordable then what's out there now.

Pretty sure they are losing money even selling them at $599.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 10:20 AM

1. They would be at a huge loss if they sold for $399, that's probably the biggest hurdle at the moment.

2. $399 is nowhere near too expensive, that is probably the perfect price point for a next gen system to be accepted en mass.

3. If they sold PS3's for $399(right now), that would almost guarantee Blu Ray winning the next-gen format wars in my opinion. That is $100 less than the least expensive Blu Ray player on the market(that I know of), and about the same price as the mid-range HDDVD player(standalone) that I have seen.

dolphan117
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM

That's what I don't get about this. Do they really think the PS3 with an 80 gig HD is going to sell better at $600 then the 60 gig did? Were there a ton of people out there going "I'm fine with paying $600 for a PS3...... But not when it only has a 60 gig HD."? I don't think so.

And yeah, I wonder if Microsoft will drop the price now too. I wasn't planing on picking one up until Halo 3 comes out anyway though for a variety of reasons so as long as they drop it by then it wont make a huge difference to me.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
That's what I don't get about this. Do they really think the PS3 with an 80 gig HD is going to sell better at $600 then the 60 gig did? Were there a ton of people out there going "I'm fine with paying $600 for a PS3...... But not when it only has a 60 gig HD."? I don't think so.

And yeah, I wonder if Microsoft will drop the price now too. I wasn't planing on picking one up until Halo 3 comes out anyway though for a variety of reasons so as long as they drop it by then it wont make a huge difference to me.

And a game.

mor911
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
i think it's the price point that's killing people man. not the crap that's coming in the box

Stitches
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
i think it's the price point that's killing people man. not the crap that's coming in the box

I agree.

I'm merely saying 80 gigs and a game for $599 is better than 60 gigs alone for $599.

(Ignoring the fact that they could now obviously sell the 60s for $499 if they were kept in production)

mor911
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I totally understand the business aspect of cancelling the lower end SKU. They can save money buy only producing one. But jeez. I would have been happier with them giving just a 60/no game at $499 than this crap.

The trick is... Motorstorm has already been developed and sold. it costs them nothing to add it in. An 80gb hd probably costs them $3 more than a 60gb. It just looks like a huge upgrade on paper.

Cancelling the 60gb have probably lowered production costs of the 80. Now they're just playing catch up.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
So how reliable is this website? I haven't heard this anywhere else.

mor911
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
The interview with the Microsoft exec with gamespot, he mentioned it too.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I totally understand the business aspect of cancelling the lower end SKU. They can save money buy only producing one. But jeez. I would have been happier with them giving just a 60/no game at $499 than this crap.

The trick is... Motorstorm has already been developed and sold. it costs them nothing to add it in. An 80gb hd probably costs them $3 more than a 60gb. It just looks like a huge upgrade on paper.

Cancelling the 60gb have probably lowered production costs of the 80. Now they're just playing catch up.

So when the 60gb is out of stock, right before Turkey Day shopping season, drop the 80 to $499. :yes:

mor911
07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
maybe. if that happens, bill has to drop the 360

Stitches
07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
maybe. if that happens, bill has to drop the 360

Definitely. I doubt it happens though(the 80gb drop I mean).

mor911
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
i still think that if microsoft wanted to go for the jugular, now's the time. even a $50 would help.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
With the problem with the Xbox360 I just don't see a price drop. That is a lot of money to lose

Stitches
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
With the problem with the Xbox360 I just don't see a price drop. That is a lot of money to lose

I think so too, especially with the expanding library of (what is supposed to be) high quality titles just within the next 6 months.

Medieval954
07-13-2007, 03:55 PM
:tsk: I'd like to repeat my 'it's not the value, it's the price' post from another thread...

Way to go Sony, let's go back to the $599 price by adding a game and 20 gigs. Sony, repeat after me...

$599 IS TOO MUCH FOR A "VIDEO GAME CONSOLE", NO MATTER WHAT IS IN THE BOX.

...This news couldn't be any better for Microsoft and Nintendo. Neither of them have to drop the price on their respective consoles now. Someone should remind Sony they are in a distant 3rd place. Are they really this stupid?
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1062191028&postcount=5

------

In this video interview, Kaz Hirai (President and CEO of SCE) says they've stopped production of the 60 GB PS3 and once they clear out that stock, they'll have the 80 GB $599 SKU only.

http://atvs.vg.no/?id=10235

:grouplaug

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I makes me want to get one before they are gone. Sony loves to play with emotions

Stitches
07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I makes me want to get one before they are gone. Sony loves to play with emotions

Only solace I have is that used will still be $450 around here.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I do have to say that overall I am disappointed with this "generation". XBOX360 made crappy and no hard drive and PS3 being so freaking expensive and Wii really not having HD graphics.

Stitches
07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I do have to say that overall I am disappointed with this "generation". XBOX360 made crappy and no hard drive and PS3 being so freaking expensive and Wii really not having HD graphics.

I think 360 is the best system I've ever had. And I'm guessing when you say 360 lacks a HD, you mean universally, to where developers can't utilize it. Because that is a dissappointment for sure.

I am sad with the PS3 price too. I had at first forgone getting a 360, because I was waiting on a PS3. Then I heard about the price, and had saw how hard it was to find a 360 at first, so I decided to get a 360(when there was a special at gamestop on them with a trade in). If the PS3 was $399, I'd be pretty giddy.

I haven't much felt a desire for a Wii, so the graphics things isn't as big a grumble for me, but I certainly understand it.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 04:14 PM
that is exactly what I meant. I would probably have a Xbox360 right now if it wasn't for that. That just totally makes me not want to get one.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
One thing I disagree with the a guy in an interview who said that americans hate two skus. Which is just not true. Americans just don't like crappy skus if if there one that is just better. If you have two different skus and the only difference is hard drive then Americans wouldn't care. My understanding is that the failure of the 20 gig ps3 was the fact that other than hard drive the other things on it was unupgradable, while the Core system could be upgraded into the other system.

You could always have the thought of, "Man I don't have the money now, but I will and it will be just as good"

(Still think no HD is stupid)

Stitches
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
One thing I disagree with the a guy in an interview who said that americans hate two skus. Which is just not true. Americans just don't like crappy skus if if there one that is just better. If you have two different skus and the only difference is hard drive then Americans wouldn't care. My understanding is that the failure of the 20 gig ps3 was the fact that other than hard drive the other things on it was unupgradable, while the Core system could be upgraded into the other system.

You could always have the thought of, "Man I don't have the money now, but I will and it will be just as good"

(Still think no HD is stupid)

I was thinking the core could never use wireless controllers actually, or something like that.

mor911
07-13-2007, 05:16 PM
I was thinking the core could never use wireless controllers actually, or something like that.
once you snap an HD on the core, the only difference is the chrome disc tray

Stitches
07-13-2007, 05:21 PM
once you snap an HD on the core, the only difference is the chrome disc tray

Gotcha.

dolphan117
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
So when the 60gb is out of stock, right before Turkey Day shopping season, drop the 80 to $499. :yes:That's what I was thinking today. If Sony made the decision to drop the price and introduce the 80 gig version at the same time then they would have had to introduce the 80 gig at $499 and droped the 60 gig even more, like $349 or something. They may just be waiting to clear the shelves of 60 gig consoles and then immediately drop the 80 gig to $499.

That scenario would make sense to me, if they let the shelves clear of 60 gigs and then still leave the 80 at $599 then they are morons for waiting as long as they did before explaining exactly what there "Price cut" was. Consumers do not like to be screwed around with. Microsoft has to be loving this crap.

Scatman
07-14-2007, 11:31 PM
yea theyll hit another cut by Christmas..... i thnk nintendos really gettin to both of them... theyll both lower prices..... and its about time for ms to do it.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
yea theyll hit another cut by Christmas..... i thnk nintendos really gettin to both of them... theyll both lower prices..... and its about time for ms to do it.

They both seem to acknowledge that Nintendo is catering to a different crowd.

Mike13
07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
That sucks.
They are going to have to cut the price again anyway.