PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band gameplay video.. Welcome to the Jungle

DrewAlmighty
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/80164.html

\m/

Scatman
07-14-2007, 11:33 PM
i thought i would be into this game.. just saw them playin it on g4.... just seemed like a lot of work to make it fun... like you need a lot of crap and people to really enjoy the game.

CharlestonPhan
07-15-2007, 12:10 AM
finally!!! something more geeky than air guitar contests.

seriously, why would someone put dozens (hundreds?) of hours into this instead of actually spending that time learning to play a REAL instrument?

i was looking for Triumph the Insult Dog to show up and start ripping on the people in the video.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:19 AM

seriously, why would someone put dozens (hundreds?) of hours into this instead of actually spending that time learning to play a REAL instrument?

i was looking for Triumph the Insult Dog to show up and start ripping on the people in the video.

Because the instant gratification is better realized with the game?

VT Dolphan
07-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Play it and see if you still think that way. I'd say a nearly everyone who is now hooked on Guitar Hero thought it looked lame at first, myself included. I do agree with you that it is somewhat of a worthless talent, but it is a damn good way to pass the time.

GridIronKing34
07-15-2007, 01:20 AM
I hope the drum parts are harder than that... Then again, GnR normally has easy drum parts. Looks like a fun game, I'll wait for the price tag though.

Pagan
07-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Agreed.

Screw that, learn a real instrument and go out and play live.

Trust me, it's alot better when people are cheering for you. :wink:

GridIronKing34
07-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Agreed.

That's true, it's amazing being up there. I've never been in a set band, but I've stepped in for guys for a few songs before. It's such a rush. I think people just don't want to take the time to learn a real instrument because for these video games all you need to learn is five buttons. I've played Guitar Hero and it's super easy if you're a musician because all you need is a sense of rhythm and some decent hand-eye coordination.

DisturbedShifty
07-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Couldnt this game teach you how to play the drums though?

Agent51
07-15-2007, 09:27 AM
i thought i would be into this game.. just saw them playin it on g4.... just seemed like a lot of work to make it fun... like you need a lot of crap and people to really enjoy the game.

Actually, you don't *NEED* a lot of crap, as it has already been announced that you can play entire careers for each instrument and the AI would play the other parts that humans aren't, so basically it's Guitar Hero, Karaoke Revolution, and Drum Hero (if that existed) all in one package, with the ability to play all 4 together should you choose to.

The same reason people put "dozens (hundreds?) of hours" into games like WoW or Grand Theft Auto, or Madden, because they can't do that crap in real life. Video games are interactive ways to fill out fantasies. Just because someone learns to play an instrument doesn't mean they are the next Slash, Les Claypool, Freddy Murcury, or Neal Pert. Yeah ok, so they learn an insturment. First off, 98% of the people who do never get any further than casual playing, and even if you do get serious and form a band, like .00001% of those actually make it to the stage of playing arenas and huge venues, so saying "stop playing a videogame and do it for real" might be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on FinHeaven. Do you play Madden? Stop being a "geek" and go play football for real and go pro. Do you play GTA? Stop being a "geek" and go murder hookers and steal cars for real. Do you play WoW? Stop being a "geek" and go dress in your wizard outfit and cast a level 7 death ray on some elves :rolleyes2

Agreed.

Pagan, as I stated before, I do play, been playing guitar for over a decade and I also know how to play drums. That being said, not everyone can, nor do they have access to it. Think about it. What does it take to fulfill the "rock star fantasy" in this case? $80 (going by the price of GH2 for the 360). That gets you a "guitar" to play along with your favorite songs, plus the interactivity to mimick (to crude extent) the actions of playing the real thing, and the visual and audio feedback to go with it. Now look at the REAL side of it. Lets take guitar. To learn to play you could do it RIGHT and get an acoustic (since as you know they are harder to play, thus better to learn on) which would be like $200 for a bare-bones worthwhile instrument (I have never played one under $200 that I would consider "quality"). Then you have the add-ons like tuners, strings, cleaning supplies, instruction books/DVDs, possibly lessons, etc, not to mention the time factor. I've been playing over 10 years and I still elarn new things all the time, and I'm sure you do too, and you've been playing much longer. With the video game, you can pick it up and get gratification (as in completeing cool songs on hard or expert) in a few hours. Also, even IF you learn an instrument, to get to the point of playing to a live crowd takes years, because playing in front of people isn't like sitting alone in your room playing. It's a different animal. Not only are some people not even cut out to be put out there like that, from a social standpoint (stage frieght or anxiety, shyness, etc) but musically it takes a lot out of you too. You have to not only have your stuff dialed in, but you have to be able to do it live, while running around and jumping around, maybe singing too, and you get all hot and sweaty, it's completely different than just sitting down in a room. And that's to say you can even find other musicians in your area who are willing to form a band and be serious about it, and dedicate all that time to it. There are so many other factors too, but this response is already too long :lol:

So you see Pagan, as I stated in my reply to the post above you, of course doing it for real is better, but how many people actually ever can do it for real? So many things have to fall in place for something liek that to happen, and a lot of people who play this game (or others) are only casual fans so they don't even have the drive, nor the desire, to put forth that effort, because it isn't a dream of theirs. It's like if you play a baseball game (I use that because I have seen you post about them before). It's instant gratification right? Fun to mess around with, but it doesn't mean you wanna be a pro MLB player, and people aren't calling you names for playing the video game instead of going and trying out for the MLB right? Same concept here. People like the instant gratification feeling the game gives them, but it doesn't necessarily mean they want to be a musician. It's funny that people say "screw this game, go out and do it for real" for games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but they completely ignore the other games, like the sports games, which are EASIER to go out and do for real :confused:

Couldnt this game teach you how to play the drums though?

That's what the developers say. Apparently "if you can play the drum tracks on hard, you can basically play the real drums." That is pretty cool IMHO. Of course you aren't gonna be some drum master, but it can teach you the basics, like keeping time and doing different things with each foot and hand, which I thought was the hardest thing to learn when I was learning to play the drums. What other videogame can teach you to do something for real (poker games don't count)? I wish I had this game when I was learning to play years back, because I got so frustrated with it, and I would have loved the audio feedback this game gives, by teaching me the motions while having me play the parts of famous songs, and hearing myself make those sounds, and with a backing band, instead of having to read the music and play the parts with no backing tracks so it always sounded kinda odd.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Actually, you don't *NEED* a lot of crap, as it has already been announced that you can play entire careers for each instrument and the AI would play the other parts that humans aren't, so basically it's Guitar Hero, Karaoke Revolution, and Drum Hero (if that existed) all in one package, with the ability to play all 4 together should you choose to.

The same reason people put "dozens (hundreds?) of hours" into games like WoW or Grand Theft Auto, or Madden, because they can't do that crap in real life. Video games are interactive ways to fill out fantasies. Just because someone learns to play an instrument doesn't mean they are the next Slash, Les Claypool, Freddy Murcury, or Neal Pert. Yeah ok, so they learn an insturment. First off, 98% of the people who do never get any further than casual playing, and even if you do get serious and form a band, like .00001% of those actually make it to the stage of playing arenas and huge venues, so saying "stop playing a videogame and do it for real" might be one of the dumbest things I have ever read on FinHeaven. Do you play Madden? Stop being a "geek" and go play football for real and go pro. Do you play GTA? Stop being a "geek" and go murder hookers and steal cars for real. Do you play WoW? Stop being a "geek" and go dress in your wizard outfit and cast a level 7 death ray on some elves :rolleyes2

Pagan, as I stated before, I do play, been playing guitar for over a decade and I also know how to play drums. That being said, not everyone can, nor do they have access to it. Think about it. What does it take to fulfill the "rock star fantasy" in this case? $80 (going by the price of GH2 for the 360). That gets you a "guitar" to play along with your favorite songs, plus the interactivity to mimick (to crude extent) the actions of playing the real thing, and the visual and audio feedback to go with it. Now look at the REAL side of it. Lets take guitar. To learn to play you could do it RIGHT and get an acoustic (since as you know they are harder to play, thus better to learn on) which would be like $200 for a bare-bones worthwhile instrument (I have never played one under $200 that I would consider "quality"). Then you have the add-ons like tuners, strings, cleaning supplies, instruction books/DVDs, possibly lessons, etc, not to mention the time factor. I've been playing over 10 years and I still elarn new things all the time, and I'm sure you do too, and you've been playing much longer. With the video game, you can pick it up and get gratification (as in completeing cool songs on hard or expert) in a few hours. Also, even IF you learn an instrument, to get to the point of playing to a live crowd takes years, because playing in front of people isn't like sitting alone in your room playing. It's a different animal. Not only are some people not even cut out to be put out there like that, from a social standpoint (stage frieght or anxiety, shyness, etc) but musically it takes a lot out of you too. You have to not only have your stuff dialed in, but you have to be able to do it live, while running around and jumping around, maybe singing too, and you get all hot and sweaty, it's completely different than just sitting down in a room. And that's to say you can even find other musicians in your area who are willing to form a band and be serious about it, and dedicate all that time to it. There are so many other factors too, but this response is already too long :lol:

So you see Pagan, as I stated in my reply to the post above you, of course doing it for real is better, but how many people actually ever can do it for real? So many things have to fall in place for something liek that to happen, and a lot of people who play this game (or others) are only casual fans so they don't even have the drive, nor the desire, to put forth that effort, because it isn't a dream of theirs. It's like if you play a baseball game (I use that because I have seen you post about them before). It's instant gratification right? Fun to mess around with, but it doesn't mean you wanna be a pro MLB player, and people aren't calling you names for playing the video game instead of going and trying out for the MLB right? Same concept here. People like the instant gratification feeling the game gives them, but it doesn't necessarily mean they want to be a musician. It's funny that people say "screw this game, go out and do it for real" for games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but they completely ignore the other games, like the sports games, which are EASIER to go out and do for real :confused:

That's what the developers say. Apparently "if you can play the drum tracks on hard, you can basically play the real drums." That is pretty cool IMHO. Of course you aren't gonna be some drum master, but it can teach you the basics, like keeping time and doing different things with each foot and hand, which I thought was the hardest thing to learn when I was learning to play the drums. What other videogame can teach you to do something for real (poker games don't count)? I wish I had this game when I was learning to play years back, because I got so frustrated with it, and I would have loved the audio feedback this game gives, by teaching me the motions while having me play the parts of famous songs, and hearing myself make those sounds, and with a backing band, instead of having to read the music and play the parts with no backing tracks so it always sounded kinda odd.

Well said, and too bad you don't get phin bucks for each character anymore, lol.

To the bold.....:sidelol:

With Madden or any sports game, I know I can never be pro, I play because it's the closest I'll ever get to being able to be like a college coach or something like that(not to mention it's fun). I would choose the real thing over playing the game 10 times out of 10. Doesn't mean I won't ever play the game though.

On a side note: I don't know how to play any instruments any more, and only have the desire to learn how to play one. And that is the piano. I tried to set up classes here at school to learn, but only music majors can take them I was told. So once I graduate, taking piano lessons somewhere is something I'd like to do.

Miami 13
07-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Rock Band is going to be AWESOME. GOTY material, but I doubt it.

Pagan
07-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Pagan, as I stated before, I do play, been playing guitar for over a decade and I also know how to play drums. That being said, not everyone can, nor do they have access to it. Think about it. What does it take to fulfill the "rock star fantasy" in this case? $80 (going by the price of GH2 for the 360). That gets you a "guitar" to play along with your favorite songs, plus the interactivity to mimick (to crude extent) the actions of playing the real thing, and the visual and audio feedback to go with it. Now look at the REAL side of it.
Bro, it's no way in hell the actions of playing.....unless your guitar has one string with five frets. It's not even crude, it's completely different.

Lets take guitar. To learn to play you could do it RIGHT and get an acoustic (since as you know they are harder to play, thus better to learn on) which would be like $200 for a bare-bones worthwhile instrument (I have never played one under $200 that I would consider "quality"). Then you have the add-ons like tuners, strings, cleaning supplies, instruction books/DVDs, possibly lessons, etc, not to mention the time factor. I've been playing over 10 years and I still elarn new things all the time, and I'm sure you do too, and you've been playing much longer. With the video game, you can pick it up and get gratification (as in completeing cool songs on hard or expert) in a few hours. Also, even IF you learn an instrument, to get to the point of playing to a live crowd takes years, because playing in front of people isn't like sitting alone in your room playing. It's a different animal. Not only are some people not even cut out to be put out there like that, from a social standpoint (stage frieght or anxiety, shyness, etc) but musically it takes a lot out of you too. You have to not only have your stuff dialed in, but you have to be able to do it live, while running around and jumping around, maybe singing too, and you get all hot and sweaty, it's completely different than just sitting down in a room. And that's to say you can even find other musicians in your area who are willing to form a band and be serious about it, and dedicate all that time to it. There are so many other factors too, but this response is already too long :lol:
:lol:

Agent, don't you think I know all this after playing 30 years? However, although I respect you immensely, that is bull**** and a copout. You don't need to spend that much money to start playing. Actually, sometimes it's better to learn on a POS of a guitar, then when you finally buy a new, elite instrument you're like "Whoa....this is ALOT easier!"

When I wanted to start playing, I scrimped together every penny I could to be able to afford a bass to start learning. Then I locked myself in my room and learned and played until my fingers bled. After a few years during which I kept scrimping and saving, I felt I was good enough to get in a band, and by then had the $$$ to get a better bass and an amp. It's all a matter of desire.

You're making excuses for people to not even try. It's similar to "well, instead of eating right and working hard and exercising, I'll take this miracle weight loss pill and the easy way!" Of course it's not easy, like they say in baseball if it was everyone would do it. But that doesn't mean everyone can't TRY, and do something a little more fulfilling than sit zombified in front of a TV and actually think they know what they're doing. I say this cause there are kids in my neighborhood who walk around thinking they're Jimmy Page cause they can play this game on "hard" level.

So you see Pagan, as I stated in my reply to the post above you, of course doing it for real is better, but how many people actually ever can do it for real? So many things have to fall in place for something liek that to happen, and a lot of people who play this game (or others) are only casual fans so they don't even have the drive, nor the desire, to put forth that effort, because it isn't a dream of theirs.
And those are NOT the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about the kids like I mentioned before. And the undoubted amount of kids that will think they have a real band when they play THIS game. :wink:

It's like if you play a baseball game (I use that because I have seen you post about them before). It's instant gratification right? Fun to mess around with, but it doesn't mean you wanna be a pro MLB player, and people aren't calling you names for playing the video game instead of going and trying out for the MLB right?
You're almost right. However, I still go out and play softball on the weekends. I play the sport for real, maybe not at a professional level, but I actually participate. For people like yourself, who DO play the game and play in real life....I can understand. And again....I'm not saying EVERYONE. Only the posers who think they're Joe Perry all of a sudden.

Same concept here. People like the instant gratification feeling the game gives them, but it doesn't necessarily mean they want to be a musician. It's funny that people say "screw this game, go out and do it for real" for games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but they completely ignore the other games, like the sports games, which are EASIER to go out and do for real :confused:
I toll on this game and not the others because music is one of the arts. Sports are not. The arts are something we are losing at a rapid pace lately, as well as true artists. I'd rather see more kids play the baseball game and learn a guitar for real to keep adding to the gene pool of talented players.

I only say that because you should know that the gratification for playing an instrument for real is 100 times better than what you get from playing the game. If you can't see I only say what I say to maybe help get ONE kid out there playing for real, then you're missing the point entirely.

Basically what you're doing is being a defeatist. Screw it, you'll never play for real it's too hard, so pretend to play!

I don't mean screw the game completely, but if you're that interested in playing a game that makes you feel like a rock star, why not try the real thing? Who says you have to try to make it big? Every rock club in America will let a decent band in to play opening for someone. Why not experience it for real? And in today's musical climate it's not like you have to be a virtuoso. :lol: I see kids 15-16 years old putting together garage bands and playing the clubs. They might not be very good yet, but man...they're learning!

There's also another side factor....you'll never get laid being a wiz at this game. You will doing the real thing. :tongue: :lol:

I don't think it will give you any real life experience for playing drums. It might give you the ability to learn how to independently work your hands and your feet, that much I concede...but when you play for real it's not colored drum heads that you have to hit when someone tells you to. The game and real life playing are completely different.

This is obvious because I SUCK at "Guitar Hero II". :lol: My 9 year old nephew smokes me, but I doubt he'd be able to play my 5-string. The game is eye/hand coordination, nothing more. You don't develop any sense of timing because when you play for real it's audio cues and INNER timing, not looking at a screen following colored dots.

Also, the feel will be WAY different. I'm freakin' Mike Portnoy when I sit in my car and use the wheel for toms and the floorboard for a kick, but put me behind a kit and I become Rikki Rocket. :lol:

Again Agent, I'm not knocking the game per se....I'm trying to get people to enjoy the real thing, that's all.

#1 Fan
07-15-2007, 06:18 PM
idk, i thought the game looked pretty cool. those people in the video were dorks though.

GridIronKing34
07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Sure the drum parts will help with rhythm and MAYBE rudiments. But other than that, nothing. It won't teach style or creativity. I don't even like how the drums are set up. They look more like marching band quads.

TotoreMexico
07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Also, the feel will be WAY different. I'm freakin' Mike Portnoy when I sit in my car and use the wheel for toms and the floorboard for a kick, but put me behind a kit and I become Rikki Rocket. :lol:

:spit:

Sethdaddy8
07-16-2007, 01:53 AM

yea they did not sell this well on that E3 coverage show.

Agent51
07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Bro, it's no way in hell the actions of playing.....unless your guitar has one string with five frets. It's not even crude, it's completely different.

I said in a very crude form, ie, the "strumming" motion with one hand and the "switching/fingering" motion with the other. Being that guitar is my instrument, and that I absolutely love it, I know that the game is not at all like the real thing, in terms of their being only one "string" instead of 6 and 5 "frets" instead of 20+, but the VERY basic motion of strumming and fingering is there. This will NEVER teach anyone to play, but the motions are similar to the real thing in their most basic concept.

:lol:

Agent, don't you think I know all this after playing 30 years? However, although I respect you immensely, that is bull**** and a copout. You don't need to spend that much money to start playing. Actually, sometimes it's better to learn on a POS of a guitar, then when you finally buy a new, elite instrument you're like "Whoa....this is ALOT easier!"

When I wanted to start playing, I scrimped together every penny I could to be able to afford a bass to start learning. Then I locked myself in my room and learned and played until my fingers bled. After a few years during which I kept scrimping and saving, I felt I was good enough to get in a band, and by then had the $$$ to get a better bass and an amp. It's all a matter of desire.

You're making excuses for people to not even try. It's similar to "well, instead of eating right and working hard and exercising, I'll take this miracle weight loss pill and the easy way!" Of course it's not easy, like they say in baseball if it was everyone would do it. But that doesn't mean everyone can't TRY, and do something a little more fulfilling than sit zombified in front of a TV and actually think they know what they're doing. I say this cause there are kids in my neighborhood who walk around thinking they're Jimmy Page cause they can play this game on "hard" level.

I know you know how it is Pagan, lol. And I'm not trying to make excuses for people not to even try, I'm just saying, MOST people who play this game play it because it is a video game that happens to feature music they like to listen to, but don't necessarily wanna go out and BE a musician. However, I fully agree that the people who think they are hot **** because they can whip out Cowboys From Hell or Bark At The Moon 100% on expert are idiots. Is that an amazing feet video game-wise? Yes (Have you SEEN those songs on expert in the game, they might be harder than the real life thing :lol:), but they still couldn't pick up a guitar and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, nevermind any song even CLOSE to those, and I agree that the people who walk around bragging to no end about it should give the real thing a try. If anything it would just make them respect the REAL songs/guitarists even more.

And those are NOT the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about the kids like I mentioned before. And the undoubted amount of kids that will think they have a real band when they play THIS game. :wink:

Yeah, like I said before, most people don't WANT to be real musicians, but you are right, the people who (for some reason) think they are because they can play this game on hard/expert are just morons.

You're almost right. However, I still go out and play softball on the weekends. I play the sport for real, maybe not at a professional level, but I actually participate. For people like yourself, who DO play the game and play in real life....I can understand. And again....I'm not saying EVERYONE. Only the posers who think they're Joe Perry all of a sudden.

Again, agreed. I enjoy this game more I think because I do play in real life, so I appreciate the music and guitar parts for their greatness (well, most of them, some of the song choices baffle me lol) and it's nice to play those songs in a different format. Don't get me wrong, I'd take plugging in and cranking up the amp and blasting out one of these in real life over the game any day, but being that I am a fan of guitar (and music in general) and I love a lot of the songs in the games, it makes the game a fun one for me, just like I love football in real life and thus Madden is a great game for me.

I toll on this game and not the others because music is one of the arts. Sports are not. The arts are something we are losing at a rapid pace lately, as well as true artists. I'd rather see more kids play the baseball game and learn a guitar for real to keep adding to the gene pool of talented players.

I only say that because you should know that the gratification for playing an instrument for real is 100 times better than what you get from playing the game. If you can't see I only say what I say to maybe help get ONE kid out there playing for real, then you're missing the point entirely.

Basically what you're doing is being a defeatist. Screw it, you'll never play for real it's too hard, so pretend to play!

I don't mean screw the game completely, but if you're that interested in playing a game that makes you feel like a rock star, why not try the real thing? Who says you have to try to make it big? Every rock club in America will let a decent band in to play opening for someone. Why not experience it for real? And in today's musical climate it's not like you have to be a virtuoso. :lol: I see kids 15-16 years old putting together garage bands and playing the clubs. They might not be very good yet, but man...they're learning!

There's also another side factor....you'll never get laid being a wiz at this game. You will doing the real thing. :tongue: :lol:

I see where you're coming from with the losing the arts thing, but I don't think this game is STOPPING anyone from playing. I doubt there were people who were going to try and learn to play guitar and then suddenly here comes Guitar Hero and they go "screw it, I can just play the video game instead". If anything this game would make people want to learn guitar more. I could definately see someone playing this game, having a blast, and wanting to do it for real as opposed to playing this game, having a blast, and being like "oh I don't even need to learnt he real thing now because i can play it with 5 buttons on a plastic guitar".

And again, I am all for people trying to learn, but my arguement was that it seems like you don't want people to touch this game at all because it ISN'T the real thing. I now get who you are directing it at (the people who think they are so cool because they can get high scores on a hard song), but it just seemed like you were bashing this game because people didn't do it for real.

And I highly doubt the makers of this game have some evil plan to destroy the future of music through a video game representation of the "rock god lifestyle" :lol:. If anything they are in the same boat as you, hoping this game will inspire peopel to try and learn an instrument for real. If you watch the bonus content, 90% of the people who worked on this game are musicians in real life, and play in bands in real life, and their main objective was to bring the music and the "feel" of playing those amazing song to the casual, everyday person who maybe doesn't WANT to (or can't) play a real instrument.

And yeah, no way being awesome at the video game gets you laid, but real life totally does :rocker:

I don't think it will give you any real life experience for playing drums. It might give you the ability to learn how to independently work your hands and your feet, that much I concede...but when you play for real it's not colored drum heads that you have to hit when someone tells you to. The game and real life playing are completely different.

This is obvious because I SUCK at "Guitar Hero II". :lol: My 9 year old nephew smokes me, but I doubt he'd be able to play my 5-string. The game is eye/hand coordination, nothing more. You don't develop any sense of timing because when you play for real it's audio cues and INNER timing, not looking at a screen following colored dots.

Again Agent, I'm not knocking the game per se....I'm trying to get people to enjoy the real thing, that's all.

I'm not saying the game will make you a Portnoy in real life, lol, but it will teach you the basics of doing 4 different things with your hands and feet, and that (for me anyway) was probably the toughest part of learning the drums. Of course the real thing is a different beast, but to be able to already sit down in front of a real kit kning that you can make your feet and hands all do seperate things would be a huge advantage. And I know the real thing isn' following colors and hitting the colored head, but again, it's a great way to teach your hands and feet to do 4 seperate things, while getting audio feedback from famous drum parts in the process, instead of sitting alone in a garage or basement with the real kit and just getting clunky/weak bass drum hits or SUPER loud cymbol smashes when you are first learning.

All-in-all, I'm with you on the wanting more people to play thing, but I just see it from the other end I guess. I think this game is not only a game made for people who are fans of music to enjoy (like Madden is made for football fans), but I also think this game can (and very well may) inspire people to at least attempt the real thing. Of course not everyone, but I would bet my life that there have been some people who played this, had a blast, and decided they wanna try the real thing, as opposed to people who were going to learn but decided they didn't have to now because they can already beat the game on Expert so what's the point.