PDA

View Full Version : LA Church to Pay $600M for Clergy Abuse

BAMAPHIN 22
07-14-2007, 09:52 PM
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles will settle its clergy abuse cases for at least $600 million, by far the largest payout in the church's sexual abuse scandal, The Associated Press learned Saturday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3378225

Mike13
07-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Is that going to stop the abuse though? Is Pope Bendict going to say anything about it?

Pagan
07-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Is that going to stop the abuse though? Is Pope Bendict going to say anything about it?
Why should he be different from any other Pope. Then again, he might be. He might not be covering it up like that last "saintly" Pope did.

Mike13
07-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Why should he be different from any other Pope. Then again, he might be. He might not be covering it up like that last "saintly" Pope did.

Because it is the morally right thing to do.
But I guess its just better to impose your will on others.

Sponge
07-16-2007, 12:13 PM

It's hard to see how paying out huge sums of money after sexually abusing children is the morally right thing to do. Sweeping reform and better screening and support for priests might be a good idea.

By the way, I couldn't agree less that the universe is hostile. Just a dissenting opinion. Cheers.

Mike13
07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
It's hard to see how paying out huge sums of money after sexually abusing children is the morally right thing to do. Sweeping reform and better screening and support for priests might be a good idea.

By the way, I couldn't agree less that the universe is hostile. Just a dissenting opinion. Cheers.

1) I was saying that the Pope should be different from every other Pope, by actually doing something about the abuse.

2) Thats from a Tool song.

Pagan
07-17-2007, 07:26 AM
You missed what I said completely.

I was addressing the question "Will the Pope say anything about it?" I was insinuating that the last Pope did NOTHING, and in fact covered everything up for the offending priests.

As for the morally right thing to do, hmmmm....when Michael Jackson did it, it was called "hush money" and everyone still labeled him a child molester. Also, this little part of the article raises an eyebrow:

Some Roman Catholic orders the Servites, Claretians and Oblates will be carved out of the agreement because they refused to participate, the source said.

So much for morally right.

And so far no one has asked the obvious question...where in hell is a archdiocese, which is supposed to be a non-profit organization that pays NO taxes, getting 660 MILLION DOLLARS from?

Makes ya think, dunnit?

BigDogsHunt
07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
And so far no one has asked the obvious question...where in hell is a archdiocese, which is supposed to be a non-profit organization that pays NO taxes, getting 660 MILLION DOLLARS from?

Makes ya think, dunnit?

You know the answer to that - and its not Carnivals or Car Washes.

This Archdiocese - just like every Archdiocese - gets its funding from ROME. The 7 hills holds lots of $$$$$, and they have plenty more in reserve - they may lack "listeners/followers" compared to years past, but they dont lack resources or funding.

Mike13
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
You missed what I said completely.

I was addressing the question "Will the Pope say anything about it?" I was insinuating that the last Pope did NOTHING, and in fact covered everything up for the offending priests.

As for the morally right thing to do, hmmmm....when Michael Jackson did it, it was called "hush money" and everyone still labeled him a child molester. Also, this little part of the article raises an eyebrow:

See post 6.

Pagan
07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
See post 6.
Okay, here's another example of the written word getting confusing. Were you agreeing with me or disagreeing in your first post to me? :lol:

Mike13
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Okay, here's another example of the written word getting confusing. Were you agreeing with me or disagreeing in your first post to me? :lol:

I was agreeing with you.

Pagan
07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I was agreeing with you.
Oh okay. :lol:

tucker
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
hell, if i can cash in, i'll say i was molested too...

binky
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
It's sad that Rome has taken so long to do anything. They taint the entire Christian faith.

The right thing to do would be to fess up and confess to mistakes. But then would there be enough priests to hear the confessions of all the guilty priests, bishops, cardinals, and nuns?