PDA

View Full Version : 'Nobody Goes to Hell': Minister Labeled a Heretic

BAMAPHIN 22
07-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Virtually every religion throughout human history has some notion of a horrible life after death. And though the threat of fire and brimstone is not preached as fervently in this age of reason, one man in Tulsa, Okla., knows just how hard it is for modern believers -- and their religious institutions -- to let go of the medieval vision of hell.

"If I say everybody's going to heaven, then I can't raise money from you to get me to keep people out of hell," Carlton Pearson said with a wry smile.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3362554&page=1

Dolphin39
07-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Virtually every religion throughout human history has some notion of a horrible life after death. And though the threat of fire and brimstone is not preached as fervently in this age of reason, one man in Tulsa, Okla., knows just how hard it is for modern believers -- and their religious institutions -- to let go of the medieval vision of hell.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3362554&page=1

Yep...Heretic! :(

DonShula84
07-14-2007, 11:11 PM
That's a great quote, but he has to burn unfortunately.

Pagan
07-15-2007, 02:06 AM
:rolleyes:

Den54
07-15-2007, 08:32 AM
"Religion won't let you love yourself. Religion is the accuser of the brethren, that's what the devil is. It's legal systems, religious dogmas that say you're not good enough, you're not God enough," he said. "People who believe in hell create it for themselves and others. People who believe in devils and demons become that in consciousness, and they act it out

The man had an awakening.
Great story.

Miamian
07-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Not all religions have concepts of eternal damnation.

Mike13
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
A religion teacher once told me that several priests don't believe that there is a hell "If God is as loving and forgiving as we are taught, then hell must be empty"

ih8brady
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM

That's what I thought too after reading the first line.

Sponge
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Agreed, mine certainly doesn't. In fact the whole concept of hell is what led me to review and ultimately reject Christianity. If you consider that committing certain acts (sins) not only gets you punished severely but eternally, it seems ridiculous. Most Christians I know don't believe in hell.

As another poster pointed out, a religion of love has no need for such a place. A religion of control and judgement however, well that's another matter.

Pagan
07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Agreed, mine certainly doesn't. In fact the whole concept of hell is what led me to review and ultimately reject Christianity. If you consider that committing certain acts (sins) not only gets you punished severely but eternally, it seems ridiculous. Most Christians I know don't believe in hell.
Neither does mine. No hell, no devil, no eternal suffering.

As another poster pointed out, a religion of love has no need for such a place. A religion of control and judgement however, well that's another matter.
Bingo.

Stitches
07-16-2007, 11:55 AM

My roomate is extremely religious(IMO), and he takes most sins very seriously(like he won't get drunk for example because it is a sin). I don't know if he believes in hell, but it's my perception that he certainly seems to feel like if he does commit certain sins then he will be judged harshly for it. I just can't imagine why he would think that if he does one thing it will be so negative for him, he's like the greatest guy I know. One instance should not overshadow a lifetime of great things.

Dolphin39
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM

If that's the case, they're not Christians.

Sponge
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
My roomate is extremely religious(IMO), and he takes most sins very seriously(like he won't get drunk for example because it is a sin). I don't know if he believes in hell, but it's my perception that he certainly seems to feel like if he does commit certain sins then he will be judged harshly for it. I just can't imagine why he would think that if he does one thing it will be so negative for him, he's like the greatest guy I know. One instance should not overshadow a lifetime of great things.

Nicely said. It's hard to imagine (or respect) a god that would damn a person like that to eternal suffering if he made one mistake. Good on you to show him so much respect too.

Pagan
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Yup....they have common sense. :tongue:

Dolphin39
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Yup....they have common sense. :tongue:

Must be talking about the born again Christians. :D

Pagan
07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Must be talking about the born again Christians. :D
i.e. Ãœber-Christians...the most annoying ones of the bunch. :tongue:

Mike13
07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Neither does mine. No hell, no devil, no eternal suffering.

Bingo.

....He's a Witch!:wink:

Sponge
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Well if they define themselves as Christians, that's certainly good enough for me. I don't know why it would be up to anyone but the individual to decide what faith they belong to.

Den54
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM

:sidelol:
Like you were nominated as the spokesperson of all Christians.

Pagan
07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
....He's a Witch!:wink:
Damn skippy! :lol:

Scrap
07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I believe there is a place other than heaven, but I don't believe "hell" to be quite the same as what most Christians believe.

Perfect23
07-16-2007, 10:57 PM
that's a relief