PDA

View Full Version : I took the plunge...

Phin-o-rama
07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Snagged a PS3 today. :lol:

Wii is going on ebay.

Got the 499 w/ free controller and 5 blu ray discs from circuit city. (Also had a 100 dollar gift card from sitting through a time share spiel), so 399 + tax is a good deal imo.

Initial impressions:

-Large machine

-Sleek looking, I like the look better than i thought I would

-The heat sensitive buttons (I think thats what they are) for ejecting, and powering the system on and off are neat.

-I only bought Resistance, so far I'm not blown away. I realize it was a launch title, but the textures are bland. Kinda wish I picked up Motorstorm instead.

-I got extremely frustrated trying to connect the ps3 to my wireless network. It would see it immediately, but there is a config issue with the security config or some crap. I use a Netgear g band router, and apparently my issue is rather widespread. I will troubleshoot that later. Since I already have an ethernet going to my 360, I will just swap it when needed (hardwired worked easily and flawlessly).

-Demo downloads are SLOW compared to XBL.....I downloaded Motorstorm demo, was about 480mb and took 1.5 hours. Sexy demo though.

-Downloaded Rub a Dub ( :goof: ) demo to get a feel of Six Axis....pretty cool, although the game doesn't warrant a buy from me.

-The Westinghouse 37w3 1080p display had HDMI handshaking issues since the PS3 release (flickering picture). Fortunately Sony had released an update a few months ago that fixed this. I was initially freaked out when I hooked it up and the flickering began, then remembered reading about the issue, and knew I had to get the update downloaded pronto.

-Already had an hdmi cable lying around, but I ordered an optical cable from www.monoprice.com, so maybe Resistance will make more of an impression when I get that and have DD.

-Don't have a blu ray yet to try out, you have to send away for the 5 free ones, but Netflix is ftw so it won't be long.

Let it be known, for now, I bought this as a Blu Ray player first, and a gaming console second. In my gamefly que I have Motorstorm, God of War 2, Final Fantasy 12, Lair, and The Bigs.

:ninja:

Stitches
07-14-2007, 10:11 PM

Wii is going on ebay.

Got the 499 w/ free controller and 5 blu ray discs from circuit city. (Also had a 100 dollar gift card from sitting through a time share spiel), so 399 + tax is a good deal imo.

Initial impressions:

-Large machine

-The heat sensitive buttons (I think thats what they are) for ejecting, and powering the system on and off are neat.

-I only bought Resistance, so far I'm not blown away. I realize it was a launch title, but the textures are bland. Kinda wish I picked up Motorstorm instead.

-I got extremely frustrated trying to connect the ps3 to my wireless network. It would see it immediately, but there is a config issue with the security config or some crap. I use a Netgear g band router, and apparently my issue is rather widespread. I will troubleshoot that later. Since I already have an ethernet going to my 360, I will just swap it when needed (hardwired worked easily and flawlessly).

-Demo downloads are SLOW compared to XBL.....I downloaded Motorstorm demo, was about 480mb and took 1.5 hours. Sexy demo though.

-Downloaded Rub a Dub ( :goof: ) demo to get a feel of Six Axis....pretty cool, although the game doesn't warrant a buy from me.

-The Westinghouse 37w3 1080p display had HDMI handshaking issues since the PS3 release (flickering picture). Fortunately Sony had released an update a few months ago that fixed this. I was initially freaked out when I hooked it up and the flickering began, then remembered reading about the issue, and knew I had to get the update downloaded pronto.

-Already had an hdmi cable lying around, but I ordered an optical cable from www.monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com), so maybe Resistance will make more of an impression when I get that and have DD.

-Don't have a blu ray yet to try out, you have to send away for the 5 free ones, but Netflix is ftw so it won't be long.

Let it be known, for now, I bought this as a Blu Ray player first, and a gaming console second. In my gamefly que I have Motorstorm, God of War 2, Final Fantasy 12, Lair, and The Bigs.

Is the optical cable an alternative to HDMI, or just to help it?

Sethdaddy8
07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
ninja gaiden sigma is supposed to be very good.

Phin-o-rama
07-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Is the optical cable an alternative to HDMI, or just to help it?

Optical cable will give you Digital Audio and is required for Dolby Digital 5.1. Hdmi can also carry the DD but my receiver has no hdmi inputs, and ones that do are still pretty expensive.

So basically what I will end up with is the HDMI going from ps3 to the tv for Video, and then the Optical cable going from the Optical out on the ps3 into one of the Optical inputs on my Onkyo receiver for Audio. Right now I just have the HDMI carrying audio and video into the Westy.

Phin-o-rama
ninja gaiden sigma is supposed to be very good.

*adds to que*

Scatman
nice bro congrats..nothin like a new toy.

Sethdaddy8
07-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Wii is going on ebay.

Initial impressions:

-Large machine

-Already had an hdmi cable lying around, but I ordered an optical cable from www.monoprice.com, so maybe Resistance will make more of an impression when I get that and have DD.

be honest, PS3 "Home" sold ya. :lol:

Megatron
07-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Another hater turned member of the Sony Nation. Welcome brother.

DisturbedShifty
07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
That is such a desprate move on Sony's part. Having to GIVE away Blu Ray movies. *shakes head*

Though on the subject of the PS3 itself. With the price drop I might actually pick one up now. If for any reason, so that I can play all the PS2 games I have wanted to play. And if I have the PS3, when the good games for the PS3 finally drop I will have the system for both. But seeing has how the game I really want for the PS3 isnt out until next year, I can wait until tax time next year. And even then I might opt to the Wii over the PS3 because I like Smash Bros much better.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Optical cable will give you Digital Audio and is required for Dolby Digital 5.1. Hdmi can also carry the DD but my receiver has no hdmi inputs, and ones that do are still pretty expensive.

So basically what I will end up with is the HDMI going from ps3 to the tv for Video, and then the Optical cable going from the Optical out on the ps3 into one of the Optical inputs on my Onkyo receiver for Audio. Right now I just have the HDMI carrying audio and video into the Westy.

OK, my 360, I use a VGA but then I just have the red and white cords for sound. And it gives me surround sound through my home theater system since that is connected to my TV's audio out.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 10:59 PM
That is such a desprate move on Sony's part. Having to GIVE away Blu Ray movies. *shakes head*

How do you figure?

Did you see what movies they were? And blu-ray players are outselling HD-DVD anyways. It's not desperation, it is smart marketing.

DisturbedShifty
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
How do you figure?

Did you see what movies they were? And blu-ray players are outselling HD-DVD anyways. It's not desperation, it is smart marketing.
If you say so. My thing is this, why would I pay an extra $10 dollars a disc, and from 499 (PS3) to a 1000 for the player, when my regualr DVD player with compent cables hooked up to my HDTV gets me all the clarity in the world.

In my opinion, Blu Ray AND HD-DVD are both the new BETA, seeing as how average Joe would rather pay the thirty bucks for a reuglar DVD player and ten dollars less for the disc itself over the prices of a Blu Ray/HD DVD player and disc.

Tpaddle
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
nice...the blue rays make it a pretty good deal

Zeke0123
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive enjoyed enchanted arms tremendously....but im an RPG geek.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
If you say so. My thing is this, why would I pay an extra $10 dollars a disc, and from 499 (PS3) to a 1000 for the player, when my regualr DVD player with compent cables hooked up to my HDTV gets me all the clarity in the world.

In my opinion, Blu Ray AND HD-DVD are both the new BETA, seeing as how average Joe would rather pay the thirty bucks for a reuglar DVD player and ten dollars less for the disc itself over the prices of a Blu Ray/HD DVD player and disc.

That's you though. Not everyone feels the same. Some people want top of the line technology for their home video, and many people know that blu-ray/hd-dvd on their HDTV offers more clarity.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Ive enjoyed enchanted arms tremendously....but im an RPG geek.

I thought that was for 360.

Bruzer
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I am getting my ps3 in august probably.

DisturbedShifty
07-14-2007, 11:21 PM
That's you though. Not everyone feels the same. Some people want top of the line technology for their home video, and many people know that blu-ray/hd-dvd on their HDTV offers more clarity.
True. But Average Joe still out numbers the tech people by far. And besides the people that know all the techincal terms, average Joe really doesnt see the difference between a regualr DVD played on an HDTV and a Blu Ray DVD played on a HDTV. It still all boils down to price. I wouldnt even know where to begin to look, but do you happen know the sales comparison between DVD and Blu Ray/HD DVD?

Zeke0123
07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought that was for 360.*shrug* Ive got it and It was a good long solid RPG good to great characters and excellent CGI cuts.

Stitches
07-14-2007, 11:31 PM
True. But Average Joe still out numbers the tech people by far. And besides the people that know all the techincal terms, average Joe really doesnt see the difference between a regualr DVD played on an HDTV and a Blu Ray DVD played on a HDTV. It still all boils down to price. I wouldnt even know where to begin to look, but do you happen know the sales comparison between DVD and Blu Ray/HD DVD?

It's not even a fair comparison at the moment. You could look at initial sales between both for an accurate assessment at how well each was/is doing.

Average joe stuck it out with VHS until DVD technology came down in price, just like they will do with the current gen of media formats.

Average joe will ALWAYS outnumber tech people, that's why they are called the average consumer, because it qualifies as most people.

Megatron
07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
*shrug* Ive got it and It was a good long solid RPG good to great characters and excellent CGI cuts. I hated Enchanted Arms sooooo much. Worst game I've ever purchased.

theghost
07-15-2007, 12:12 AM
enjoy your new system.

Zeke0123
07-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I hated Enchanted Arms sooooo much. Worst game I've ever purchased.
Dang Mega I guess you should never listen to one of my movie or video game reviews HAHA talk about different tastes :D.

Majpain
07-15-2007, 01:19 AM
I thought that was for 360.

It is and its fecking horrendous.

Majpain
07-15-2007, 01:22 AM
I hated Enchanted Arms sooooo much. Worst game I've ever purchased.

Ya man its only fun for about 30 mins then its just repetitive. The Cut scenes are nothing, Voice acting is probably the worst I have ever heard, Story is cliched beyond anything. I guess it appeals to those who like repetitive Beat em ups.

FinsNCanes
07-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Should check out Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Majpain
07-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Should check out Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Yeah that would be a must have for all PS3 owners.

Aussiefinfan54
07-15-2007, 05:00 AM
nice good to see another PS3 embracer.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Guys, this is clearly his attempt to help ruin Sony. Think about it. He gets the PS3 on clearance at $499, then NEVER buys more than a game or two for it. Sony spent $700+ building that PS3, and they'll never get that money back!

:D

Seriously though, it's fun to have new toys. Interesting that you are selling the Wii. My suspicion is that the fun of waving around that Wiimote gets old for serious gamers, and there is next to nothing in games for it that interest me, let alone after getting used to HDTV graphics.

I'd be tempted to get a PS3 at $399 too, but then again I've got $300+ in 360games I HAVE TO HAVE through the rest of this year.

Megatron
07-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Should check out Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I bought it last night and will fire it up today.

Dolfan5000
07-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah that would be a must have for all PS3 owners.
Yes, first hand experience here. BUY THAT ****. lol

oh by the way, welcome to our side mwahahaha

Desides
07-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I bought it last night and will fire it up today.

Congratulations: you're playing the greatest action game of the decade.

Majpain
07-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Yes, first hand experience here. BUY THAT ****. lol

oh by the way, welcome to our side mwahahaha

Yeah it looks rather lonely on the PS3 Side :tongue:

Dolfan5000
07-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah it looks rather lonely on the PS3 Side :tongue:
Hey, newcomers are always welcome.

By the way Phin-o-rama you should add me. PS3 tag-CovertNostalgia

Zeke0123
07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Guess my career as a game reviewer is over before it started....I really liked EA sorry all... but an RPG has to be a lot worse than that for me to hate it I cant think of 1 rpg offhand I dont like haha.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Guess my career as a game reviewer is over before it started....I really liked EA sorry all... but an RPG has to be a lot worse than that for me to hate it I cant think of 1 rpg offhand I dont like haha.

I'm guessing you never played this:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/163/163594p1.html

Zeke0123
07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
well I got one thing going for me...I can "box buy" pretty well... I know what I like and I would have never purchased that turd...good lord that looks awful.

Sethdaddy8
07-15-2007, 11:34 PM
pretty much everybody is going to have one eventually.

Majpain
07-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Dont feel bad ypur just an RPG junkie :D

Phin-o-rama
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I wish I woulda got Motorstorm over Resistance. I can see that resistance is a good game and all, but I should have rented it first....I KNOW Motorstorm is one that I would like and play.

Anyone wanna do a trade? REsistance for Motorstorm? :D

It's already opened, so I can't return it to Best Buy. :(

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I know I don't know everyone and a lot of people I have met are tech people, however I have only met one person who cannot see the difference between HD and SD. It was one of the most surprising things I have experienced and I find it hard to believe them. However this person grew up without a television and didn't watch many movies. Lived a very sheltered life.

I don't believe the average joe has lived a very sheltered life.

Phinz420
07-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Wii is going on ebay.

Initial impressions:

-Large machine

-Already had an hdmi cable lying around, but I ordered an optical cable from www.monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com), so maybe Resistance will make more of an impression when I get that and have DD.

Grats man! Im going to be doing the same in the coming months.

ZOMG, your such a Microny Fanboy with your PS360!

Seriously though, I know that I am buying for the same reasons initially. The PS3 simply doesn't have many titles out there worth mentioning yet, but with having both of your bases covered you are going to have complete options out there.

So far Im highly anticipating Socom, and it will be interesting to see if PSHome lives up to the hype. I love the idea of a virtual environment over the standard UI's that we are used to in all other online games.

Anyways, grats again man. Did Shigeru Myamoto piss you off when he came over to your crib tryin to get you to play some WiiSports?

muscle979
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Can't imagine how you had online hookup problems. I've never even hooked a system up to the internet before (meaning I don't really know what I'm doing yet) and easily hooked my PS3 up to my wireless router.

Have fun. If you've never played Oblivion, get that because the PS3 version is the best one. Very fun game.

Phin-o-rama
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Can't imagine how you had online hookup problems. I've never even hooked a system up to the internet before (meaning I don't really know what I'm doing yet) and easily hooked my PS3 up to my wireless router.

Have fun. If you've never played Oblivion, get that because the PS3 version is the best one. Very fun game.

It has to do with the type of security encryption i use (WPA-PSK) which is the best, and my individual router.....the ps3 has a problem with it.

The wii, and my laptop both can connect painlessly to the router, yet the ps3 is being a beyotch about it.

no matter though, for gaming i'd rather run hard wired for better stability, and i just got a 5 port switch for 10 bucks that will allow me to have the 360 and ps3 hooked up at the same time from the 1 router port.

and i had oblivion on pc before the 360 even came out :goof:

Mike13
07-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I am getting my ps3 in august probably.

I plan on getting my PS3 around then too.