PDA

View Full Version : 360 Accessories

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
What the hell cable do I need for my 360 and HDTV? An HDMI cable right? I had accidentally ordered a Xbox 360â„¢ VGA HD AV Cable off EBay thinking that's all I needed.

Do I now need an HDMI cable to have my games in HD?

:boohoo:

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Depending on your connections, you can either use Component, VGA, or HDMI.

However, unless you have an Elite, I didn't think there were even HDMI cables yet for the premies.

I've used both VGA and Component on my 360, and thing the VGA looks better, and I am pretty sure it upconverts DVDs to the native level your TV is capable of, rather than the 480p that gets pushed out on movies through the component.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Oh, and I hear that unless the VGA cable is 1st party or the Monster one, then the picture quality suffers tremendously.

Phin-o-rama
07-15-2007, 12:07 AM
What the hell cable do I need for my 360 and HDTV? An HDMI cable right? I had accidentally ordered a Xbox 360â„¢ VGA HD AV Cable off EBay thinking that's all I needed.

Do I now need an HDMI cable to have my games in HD?

:boohoo:

if your hdtv has vga input, you can use that.....the most standard way to get hd gaming with the 360 is with the Microsoft brand Component Cables (YPbPr).

Those cables are included with the premium console.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Okay well I have the core system and a 32" Vizio HDTV with 2 HDMI outlets.

Now what? :)

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Okay well I have the core system and a 32" Vizio HDTV with 2 HDMI outlets.

Now what? :)

What other inputs?

There isn't a 360 HDMI cable yet for cores or premies.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:15 AM
On CC.com, it says your TV is PC compatible, so the VGA should work out fine.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 12:16 AM
What other inputs?

There isn't a 360 HDMI cable yet for cores or premies.

Man I dunno, this is my TV

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Vizio-32-LCD-HDTV-VX32L/sem/rpsm/oid/185075/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You saying I can't get HD on my Xbox until they start selling HDMI cables? When the hell are they going to offer those for sale?

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:18 AM

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Vizio-32-LCD-HDTV-VX32L/sem/rpsm/oid/185075/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You saying I can't get HD on my Xbox until they start selling HDMI cables? When the hell are they going to offer those for sale?

Look at post 7.

And no clue on the HDMIs, as to when they go on sale.

I have 2 open HDMI slots on my TV right now, because none of my cable, 360, or dvd player can use it.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Look at post 7.

And no clue on the HDMIs, as to when they go on sale.

I have 2 open HDMI slots on my TV right now, because none of my cable, 360, or dvd player can use it.

Well I just plaed a few mins with this cable hooked up and I don't even really know if the picture looks better then it did before.

Is this a better option then what I have or is this all I have to look forward to for now?

Stitches
07-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Well I just plaed a few mins with this cable hooked up and I don't even really know if the picture looks better then it did before.

Is this a better option then what I have or is this all I have to look forward to for now?

If you have the VGA connected to your TV, next thing to do is go to your 360 dashboard menu.

From there, go to the system blade.

The console settings.
Then the first choice should be display. Click that.
On Screen resolution, start out as high as possible, and work your way down until you can actually see the picture. This will leave you with the picture with the most detail.

Then if you want, you can adjust the reference levels. I have mine on intermediate right at the moment, but I think I am going to adjust it to expanded for a while and see how it works.

After all that is done, you should be done.

If for some reason after that, your picture appears off center(mine did), there will hopefully be an option in your tv menu to adjust the "PC" picture location. That will allow you to center it properly and get rid of any black bars you may have.

That is all what I did for mine at least. I hope it helps some.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 01:29 AM
If you have the VGA connected to your TV, next thing to do is go to your 360 dashboard menu.

From there, go to the system blade.

The console settings.
Then the first choice should be display. Click that.
On Screen resolution, start out as high as possible, and work your way down until you can actually see the picture. This will leave you with the picture with the most detail.

Then if you want, you can adjust the reference levels. I have mine on intermediate right at the moment, but I think I am going to adjust it to expanded for a while and see how it works.

After all that is done, you should be done.

If for some reason after that, your picture appears off center(mine did), there will hopefully be an option in your tv menu to adjust the "PC" picture location. That will allow you to center it properly and get rid of any black bars you may have.

That is all what I did for mine at least. I hope it helps some.

Thanks for the tips man. I got the picture to look great now. The only problem is I can't hear any ****ing audio.

Sigh :lol:

Stitches
07-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the tips man. I got the picture to look great now. The only problem is I can't hear any ****ing audio.

Sigh :lol:

If you got the MS cable, there should have been a 'twin' adapter for pc audio. It's a half circle looking thing that takes the red and white cable, and then it's got it's "penis" that can go into the jack on the back of your tv, likely next to the pc slot.

Agent51
07-15-2007, 08:52 AM

just use the in-box A/V cable, use the component plugs not the composite, and make sure the switch is set to HDTV, then you are gaming in HD

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 11:33 AM
If you got the MS cable, there should have been a 'twin' adapter for pc audio. It's a half circle looking thing that takes the red and white cable, and then it's got it's "penis" that can go into the jack on the back of your tv, likely next to the pc slot.

Well naturally it doesn't have a "penis". Theres the thing you plug into the back of the xbox, a thing you plug into the back of the TV and 2 red/white cables.

I don't think I have the right equipment

Stitches
07-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Well naturally it doesn't have a "penis". Theres the thing you plug into the back of the xbox, a thing you plug into the back of the TV and 2 red/white cables.

I don't think I have the right equipment

This is the piece I am talking about that the red and white audio cables go in.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530354-1.jpg

Notice the male connector, what I was referring to as the "penis."

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530355-1.jpg

(sorry that it is out of focus)

And then on my TV, that plug goes in the pc audio in right to the right of where my VGA cable is plugged in.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530357-1.jpg

Not the DVI on the left, if you even have hat on your TV. But it goes in the open slot immediately to the right(at least on my TV).

I don't know about you, but my Manual had instructions on how to hook a PC up to the TV.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 02:47 PM
This is the piece I am talking about that the red and white audio cables go in.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530354-1.jpg

Notice the male connector, what I was referring to as the "penis."

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530355-1.jpg

(sorry that it is out of focus)

And then on my TV, that plug goes in the pc audio in right to the right of where my VGA cable is plugged in.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/SD530357-1.jpg

Not the DVI on the left, if you even have hat on your TV. But it goes in the open slot immediately to the right(at least on my TV).

I don't know about you, but my Manual had instructions on how to hook a PC up to the TV.

There is an audio slot that's right next to where I plugged in my VGA cable but I don't have the "penis" part that you do. Did yours come with the cable? And what is it called (not penis I hope :wink:)?

Stitches
07-15-2007, 03:02 PM
There is an audio slot that's right next to where I plugged in my VGA cable but I don't have the "penis" part that you do. Did yours come with the cable? And what is it called (not penis I hope :wink:)?

The 'penis' part is just the male connector that sticks out. The whole part itself is just what I would call an adapter, and yes mine came with it. I bought the MS VGA cable. Mine also came with a smaller female adapter for the VGA itself, but I didn't need it on my TV.

I would bet they sell them at radioshack or best buy or something. Just explain to them how you have your TV set up, and that you need an adapter for your red and white audio cable.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 03:11 PM
The 'penis' part is just the male connector that sticks out. The whole part itself is just what I would call an adapter, and yes mine came with it. I bought the MS VGA cable. Mine also came with a smaller female adapter for the VGA itself, but I didn't need it on my TV.

I would bet they sell them at radioshack or best buy or something. Just explain to them how you have your TV set up, and that you need an adapter for your red and white audio cable.

So far I don't see anything about it on cc.com

Stitches
07-15-2007, 03:22 PM
So far I don't see anything about it on cc.com

I don't know if they would sell an adapter like that online. It can't cost more than like 2 bucks.

Stitches
07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Here man is what you want I think: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=2120&seq=1&format=2&style=

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know if they would sell an adapter like that online. It can't cost more than like 2 bucks.

Yeah I dunno either. I don't see it on any websites. I'll roll over to CC and look around. 'Preciate the help man

Stitches
07-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah I dunno either. I don't see it on any websites. I'll roll over to CC and look around. 'Preciate the help man

Look at the link I put above your last post.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Look at the link I put above your last post.

That looks like it :wink:Just bought it for under 4 bucks. Thanks again for your help man. This site kicks ***

Stitches
07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
That looks like it :wink:Just bought it for under 4 bucks. Thanks again for your help man. This site kicks ***

Not sure what the shipping turnaround is, but I am pretty confident we sold those at Circuit City when I worked there. Just saying you might not have had to wait.

Glad I could help at least.

TheAnswer385
07-15-2007, 07:51 PM
i posted this a couple times but there will be a hdmi cable coming to the prem and core systems soon. I have a link and will post it as sooon as i find it.

ok here is the link (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13790/XCM-Brings-1080p-HDMI-to-Standard-Xbox-360/)

SpurzN703
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Not sure what the shipping turnaround is, but I am pretty confident we sold those at Circuit City when I worked there. Just saying you might not have had to wait.

Glad I could help at least.

Eh shipping is only a few business days. I can still play in HD, just don't have audio. No sweat since I only have 1 360 game anyway (NBA 2K7) :wink:

Stitches
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Eh shipping is only a few business days. I can still play in HD, just don't have audio. No sweat since I only have 1 360 game anyway (NBA 2K7) :wink:

You need to get cracking, lol.

There's some great games out right now, and obviously more to come.

chillwill3000
07-16-2007, 11:11 AM

just use the component cables, the green, red, and blue ones.

Stitches
07-16-2007, 11:29 AM
just use the component cables, the green, red, and blue ones.

He never had component cables, he got the core.