PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to Buy A PS3?? --- I need some advice!!!

JuanchoColombia
07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
With the recent price drop I planned to buy a 60gb PS3 around late October - November, I was fine with waiting til then, there was no rush... but with the Sony latest announcement saying that they're no longer producing the $499 sku I kinda got worried that I won't be able to find a PS3 for $499 by then...

Do you think that there will still be 60gb PS3s in stock around November??

I've heard some rumors saying that once all the 60gb Sku's are sold, Sony will drop the price of the 80gb ps3 to $499 but I'm not sure about that so I don't know...

I've also heard that the 80gb PS3 wont come with the Emotion Engine built in, instead it will use software emulation for backwards compatibility... I don't know if it will be a bad thing...

What should I do?? Rush in and buy it as soon as I can, or wait til then and maybe there will still be 60GBs around??

notice that I don't really care about the 5 blurays deal because I don't have a hdtv

thx in advise :wink:

DisturbedShifty
07-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I would suggest waiting until November to get the consle, closer to the time that the good game will start coming out. As far as the Emotion Chip vs Software goes, the 360 uses downloaded software for its backwards capability and it works just fine. And I doubt that Sony will stop selling the now middle grade PS3. Hell Mircrosoft is still selling all three of it's systems, even though they should just drop the lower end one.

dolphinfan2k5
07-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, if you don't expect the price to go down by then, why not just get it now. It will cost the same, so you might as well have it for those few months when waiting doesn't really gain you anything. Unless it puts a damper on you financially, I say get it now :up:

Stitches
07-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I would suggest waiting until November to get the consle, closer to the time that the good game will start coming out. As far as the Emotion Chip vs Software goes, the 360 uses downloaded software for its backwards capability and it works just fine. And I doubt that Sony will stop selling the now middle grade PS3. Hell Mircrosoft is still selling all three of it's systems, even though they should just drop the lower end one.

The 60s aren't in production any more stateside. You'd have to order from Europe to get it once they leave the shelves here.

VT Dolphan
07-15-2007, 07:05 PM
I would say wait, but for a slightly different reason. Everything I've read about PS3 sales have been pretty negative, and it seems like the 360 and Wii are absolutely dominating the market right now. I still know it is extremely early to call the system a failure, but right now things aren't looking very good for it. There really hasn't been any must-own games released exclusively for PS3 either, at least nothing that would make me buy a system.

My advice would be to buy a 360 if you don't already have one simply because there are a ton of great games coming out pretty soon. If you have your heart set on the PS3, get it. I doubt the $500 model will be available for a whole lot longer, but I would wait until the system gets on the right track before spending that much money on it.

theghost
07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
If you want to play the games now, then by all means buy it now.

Dolfan5000
07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Buy it nopw and get Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Motorstorm to hold you over for a couple months. Later this year more and more games will be coming out.

JuanchoColombia
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Apparently the PS3 doesn't work as well, I just read that in Europe (european ps3s never had emotion engine, emulated software from the beginning) 72% of the PS2 games released (1,782 of 2,451) had noticeable issues. :tantrum:... I hope MGS:Snake Eater isn't in that list, actually it's the only one I care about right now.:)

Well, if you don't expect the price to go down by then, why not just get it now. It will cost the same, so you might as well have it for those few months when waiting doesn't really gain you anything. Unless it puts a damper on you financially, I say get it now :up:

actually that's the main reason, the money... I would have to make some big loan or sell something I don't want to sell if I want it right now, in October I'm supposed to receive some money, so I would buy the ps3 with it, without any debt or selling anything :)

The second reason is Madden and GTA IV :evil:

I would say wait, but for a slightly different reason. Everything I've read about PS3 sales have been pretty negative, and it seems like the 360 and Wii are absolutely dominating the market right now. I still know it is extremely early to call the system a failure, but right now things aren't looking very good for it. There really hasn't been any must-own games released exclusively for PS3 either, at least nothing that would make me buy a system.

My advice would be to buy a 360 if you don't already have one simply because there are a ton of great games coming out pretty soon. If you have your heart set on the PS3, get it. I doubt the $500 model will be available for a whole lot longer, but I would wait until the system gets on the right track before spending that much money on it.

that was the initial plan, but the 3 red lights thing and the 33% failure rate really got me down, I thought what happened if it gave me the 3 lights, I thought I wouldn't have the money or the patience for the shipments back and forth to US... so I prefered to wait a while, save another 100 bucks and go for the sure thing, which have a <1% failure rate

and about the sales, it worries me that developers are starting to see that the ps3 isn't selling (various titles not being exclusive anymore) and maybe later with switch sides and making the 360 their main target.

in the other hand, after the price drop, PS3 sales increased 3200%:eek2:

VT Dolphan
07-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Obviously, its still your call as to what to do, but I'd still go with the 360. And this is coming from someone who experienced the 3 red lights and had to send it back. The repair and turnaround when I sent it to Microsoft was reasonably fast considering I had to send it halfway across the country (probably a little longer in your case I'd imagine). But ever since I got mine back it has been running absolutely perfectly. I'd be less concerned about the 360 breaking and having to have it repaired, compared to having developers kind of shy away from the PS3. It's still early, but it would be a shame if you bought it and it went the way of the Dreamcast. And I'd expect those sales figures to drop off considerably as soon as they run out of the 60gig models.

JuanchoColombia
07-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Obviously, its still your call as to what to do, but I'd still go with the 360. And this is coming from someone who experienced the 3 red lights and had to send it back. The repair and turnaround when I sent it to Microsoft was reasonably fast considering I had to send it halfway across the country (probably a little longer in your case I'd imagine). But ever since I got mine back it has been running absolutely perfectly. I'd be less concerned about the 360 breaking and having to have it repaired, compared to having developers kind of shy away from the PS3. It's still early, but it would be a shame if you bought it and it went the way of the Dreamcast. And I'd expect those sales figures to drop off considerably as soon as they run out of the 60gig models.

thanks a lot man, i'm still undecided though, I've a lot of thinking and math to do... :unsure:

btw, do you know, or someone knows, about not so expensive shipments??? I was looking at the UPS and DHL calculators and the estimated charge is about $160 :eek: ..... that's like 3 games :tantrum:

Stitches
07-15-2007, 10:21 PM
thanks a lot man, i'm still undecided though, I've a lot of thinking and math to do... :unsure:

btw, do you know, or someone knows, about not so expensive shipments??? I was looking at the UPS and DHL calculators and the estimated charge is about $160 :eek: ..... that's like 3 games :tantrum:

USPS maybe?

Or Fed Ex?

dolphinfan2k5
07-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Are you talking about if you buy it online? Idk about outside the US but you might be able to find some place with free sheeping. I got my 360 at buy.com and got free shipping and no tax. I used the money to buy a warranty, right before MS goes and extends the warranty to 3 years, making my $50 2 year extension completely useless :tantrum: But that is beside the point :lol:

Stitches
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Are you talking about if you buy it online? Idk about outside the US but you might be able to find some place with free sheeping. I got my 360 at buy.com and got free shipping and no tax. I used the money to buy a warranty, right before MS goes and extends the warranty to 3 years, making my $50 2 year extension completely useless :tantrum: But that is beside the point :lol:

Same thing happened to me at Gamestop, lol.

Scatman
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
id wwait bro.. good stuff wont coem out for a while..itll let you save mula and the price well probably come down again.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I'd wait till October. Take the chance that Sony will drop the new 80GB system down to $499 once the old 60 GB systems are sold out.

Besides, the games you want won't be out until August and October, right? Things might change by then. Imagine if MS drops a $100 off the 360 systems? Do you go with a $299 Premium 360 instead?

You'd get Madden at 60 fps on the 360, and the FULL version of GTA4 which will have two HUGE downloads exclusive to the 360.

Be patient, and then make an informed decision.

SpurzN703
07-15-2007, 11:49 PM
The 360 is better. Get it instead :wink:

VT Dolphan
07-16-2007, 12:45 AM

I think that Amazon has some very reasonable shipping rates, even for international orders. I would definitely look into that, it should be nowhere near $160, that is just ridiculous.

Aussiefinfan54
07-16-2007, 07:40 AM
just go and buy it bro and dont look back.

muscle979
07-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Nonsense. No it's not.

Desides
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Console racism saddens me.

JuanchoColombia
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks to all for ur advises! :)

I finally decided to wait a lil bit, at least till GTA comes out.... hopefully there still are some 60GBs skus by then, or even better, the 80 GBs drop the price.... and maybe by then they come with the sixasis with rumbling feature :evil:

there will be 4 loooooong months :boohoo:

thx again :wink:

muscle979
07-19-2007, 03:40 PM

The PS3 is failing? What a joke. You're buying into stupid media hype. Bill Gates should send you a small royalties check. It's sad that this guy is just wondering if he should wait or not and two or three of you are in here trying to pitch the Xbox 360 to him. I'm sure he's thought about that already. Most of those great games coming out later this year will also be on Playstation. You'll see less exclusives in the future anyway.

Dolfan5000
07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
The PS3 is failing? What a joke. You're buying into stupid media hype. Bill Gates should send you a small royalties check. It's sad that this guy is just wondering if he should wait or not and two or three of you are in here trying to pitch the Xbox 360 to him. I'm sure he's thought about that already. Most of those great games coming out later this year will also be on Playstation. You'll see less exclusives in the future anyway.
Guess that's why it's topped Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City's sales list in the past two weeks.

Phin-o-rama
07-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I still think if I had neither, I'd probably splurge on a 360..i think.....I am very happy with the ps3 though. Still waiting on some gamefly games, and some blu rays should be in my mailbox when I get home.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I am really fighting myself about buying a ps3. I know I could figure it out and afford it, but I also know that it isn't the best idea. Still I want a blu ray player and I want a next gen game system. Man is this going to be hard when Madden comes out

muscle979
07-21-2007, 08:22 AM
I couldn't decide which one to get either initially, the blu ray player put it over the top for me. Really I wish I could afford both.

allngn_c5
07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I am waiting for the big price drop. Want to see how many games get made also.

SarahAnn
07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
From what I've heard Sony plans to have phased out the 60gb PS3s and replaced them on storeshelves with 80gb ones BY MID SEPTEMBER. I have not heard whether Online shops such as Amazon would continue selling the 60s or not.

My advice to you is unless your willing to risk not being able to find a 60 in November to get it now.

dolphan117
07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Console racism saddens me.Console racism. :lol:

NativeFloridian
07-21-2007, 08:19 PM
PS3 kicks *** best system out there get the 60 gig fast while still on this deal thats what i just did!

VT Dolphan
07-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Step down off your pedestal there big guy, I was merely trying to give him advice. I just don't see how spending 500 dollars on a system with absolutely zero must own games to this point is a wise investment. I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but it is extremely clear that right now the 360 is the better system to own. I'm not saying it will stay like that, but right now I have absolutely no interest in the PS3.

HysterikiLL
07-21-2007, 08:55 PM
I am really fighting myself about buying a ps3. I know I could figure it out and afford it, but I also know that it isn't the best idea. Still I want a blu ray player and I want a next gen game system. Man is this going to be hard when Madden comes out

I'm in your situation too. I could afford it..I checked into the HP and it'd only be $15 bucks a week and it'd be all paid off before any interest goes on. But I feel like they'll be cheaper and have a lot more benefits a little while down the road.

I have a question for those in the know. I really know nothing about the processors and stuff and whatever, but this 60gb and all, does it mean I can store my iPod music on it? This computer only has like 125mb left on it and I keep having to delete music to fit more on. If so, that would sell the PS3 for me right there. Also, if this is possible, is it easy to do?

JuanchoColombia
07-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I have a question for those in the know. I really know nothing about the processors and stuff and whatever, but this 60gb and all, does it mean I can store my iPod music on it? This computer only has like 125mb left on it and I keep having to delete music to fit more on. If so, that would sell the PS3 for me right there. Also, if this is possible, is it easy to do?

Yes, but not all of them, not the ones bought on iTunes, at least not without converting them. You can store these types of files:

Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
WAVE(Linear PCM)
WMA

HysterikiLL
07-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Yes, but not all of them, not the ones bought on iTunes, at least not without converting them. You can store these types of files:
Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
WAVE(Linear PCM)
WMA

I just download all my songs off LimeWire. Never bought a song on iTunes in my life :lol: so that looks ok...that's a serious positive for me

JuanchoColombia
07-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I just download all my songs off LimeWire. Never bought a song on iTunes in my life :lol: so that looks ok...that's a serious positive for me

yeah, me neither, 24 GBs of sweet, free and illegally downloaded music :evil: :lol:

btw, here is the link to the PS3 Music Storage capabilities:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/music/index.html

muscle979
07-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Step down off your pedestal there big guy, I was merely trying to give him advice. I just don't see how spending 500 dollars on a system with absolutely zero must own games to this point is a wise investment. I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but it is extremely clear that right now the 360 is the better system to own. I'm not saying it will stay like that, but right now I have absolutely no interest in the PS3.

Once again, this thread was not about what console you have an interest in. It was about when the best time would be for him to pick up a 60GB PS3. There are several threads where you could debate Xbox vs. Playstation all day long or you could even make your own if you felt moved to do so, big guy.

Megatron
07-22-2007, 11:23 AM
If you want a PS3 just get it. The hard drive thing is not a big deal at all. If you plan on having lots of movies and music on it just go buy a huge hard drive like 500 GB and put it in your PS3. The instructions on how to do it come with the PS3.

Stitches
07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
If you want a PS3 just get it. The hard drive thing is not a big deal at all. If you plan on having lots of movies and music on it just go buy a huge hard drive like 500 GB and put it in your PS3. The instructions on how to do it come with the PS3.

I thought that was a sweet feature.

Megatron
07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I thought that was a sweet feature. Yeah, that's why the hard drive increase isn't really as big a deal as the price drop. You most likely will change your hard drive on your own some day during the ps3's life cycle.