PDA

View Full Version : Wii to pass PS2 in sales?

Lukin
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) -- Sales of Nintendo's quirky Wii video game machine could top the legendary PlayStation 2, making it the biggest hit in the industry's history, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said on Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/07/13/e3.wii.reut/index.html

Stitches
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Could pass yea. But the PS2 is still selling relatively strongly and who knows if the Wii will keep up how it is, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Phinz420
07-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Could pass yea. But the PS2 is still selling relatively strongly and who knows if the Wii will keep up how it is, so I'll believe it when I see it.

It's Nintendo and they have a ton of attention over their attractive price & unique game play. Even with the "hardcore" gamers mostly shying away from it, they still seem to be selling very quickly. I guess it is similar to the PS2 in that there are so many of those damn things sold still to this day, that there is no chance in hell you could consider most/if any of them to be "hardcore gamers".

Stitches
07-16-2007, 05:11 PM
It's Nintendo and they have a ton of attention over their attractive price & unique game play. Even with the "hardcore" gamers mostly shying away from it, they still seem to be selling very quickly. I guess it is similar to the PS2 in that there are so many of those damn things sold still to this day, that there is no chance in hell you could consider most/if any of them to be "hardcore gamers".

PS2 has a better price right now, great game play, a whole slew of great games, and graphics which are pretty much just as good. That's why they are still selling.

I know the Wii is selling the best out of the newest set of systems, but until it even gets close to how many the PS2 has sold, I don't know if I see it happening.

Motion
07-17-2007, 08:22 AM

:lol: Your such a hater!

Admit it, the Wii is a phenomenon!!! :kick:

Desides
07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
:lol: Your such a hater!

Admit it, the Wii is a phenomenon!!! :kick:

The Wii is a phenomenon, but it's an inexplicable one.

Motion
07-17-2007, 08:32 AM
The Wii is a phenomenon, but it's an inexplicable one.

Not really, its bringing in more new gamers than ever. Its just fun to play for people of all ages. Its a totally new approach to mainstream gaming. Nintendo is sitting pretty right now.

Stitches
07-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Not really, its bringing in more new gamers than ever. Its just fun to play for people of all ages. Its a totally new approach to mainstream gaming. Nintendo is sitting pretty right now.

Then they must not be using thier WiiFit.

Desides
07-17-2007, 09:08 AM

And yet, its most anticipated games are Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3. At some point, the Wii will fade away among the non-gamers (the word "fad" applies here...) and Nintendo will be left with its core base, which it is not doing a good enough job of feeding. The two best games for the system, Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario, are Gamecube ports.

I'm not enchanted with the Wii the way most people are. I don't see much innovation occurring on it, I don't see the Virtual Console being used the way it should be, and I don't see too many games on the horizon beyond the usual Nintendo sequels.

Motion
07-17-2007, 09:15 AM
And yet, its most anticipated games are Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3. At some point, the Wii will fade away among the non-gamers (the word "fad" applies here...) and Nintendo will be left with its core base, which it is not doing a good enough job of feeding. The two best games for the system, Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario, are Gamecube ports.

I'm not enchanted with the Wii the way most people are. I don't see much innovation occurring on it, I don't see the Virtual Console being used the way it should be, and I don't see too many games on the horizon beyond the usual Nintendo sequels.

Too each their own.

I disagree with most of your points. The WiiBlaster and WiiFit will only help the Wii to continue selling out worldwide. Mario Kart online will sell millions. The future is bright for Nintendo IMO and I'm not a big Nintendo supporter by any means.

Phin-o-rama
07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
even the ps3's online store and online capabilities **** all over the wii

and.....i'm a graphics whore, there i said it. i enjoy seeing crystal clear images that please my eyes.

motorstorm is an excellent game. i can see how it would get old, but there is a whole lotta good there. (i rented it from movie gallery)

Motion
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
even the ps3's online store and online capabilities **** all over the wii

and.....i'm a graphics whore, there i said it. i enjoy seeing crystal clear images that please my eyes.

motorstorm is an excellent game. i can see how it would get old, but there is a whole lotta good there. (i rented it from movie gallery)

I will agree with that, as much crap as Sony's Online setup gets, Nintendo's is lacking even more at this point.

Stitches
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Too each their own.

I disagree with most of your points. The WiiBlaster and WiiFit will only help the Wii to continue selling out worldwide. Mario Kart online will sell millions. The future is bright for Nintendo IMO and I'm not a big Nintendo supporter by any means.

I'll give you the WiiFit, but I don't foresee the WiiZapper causing any more systems to be sold than what were already going to be sold.

Lukin
07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Too each their own.

I hope you're right, but it'll have to be better than Mario Kart Double Dash. That game was a huge letdown. Mario Kart 64 is one of my favorite games of all time though. If they can recapture the magic of Mario Kart, I'd buy a Wii just to play it.

Motion
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
I hope you're right, but it'll have to be better than Mario Kart Double Dash. That game was a huge letdown. Mario Kart 64 is one of my favorite games of all time though. If they can recapture the magic of Mario Kart, I'd buy a Wii just to play it.

Did you see the game footage from E3? It looks awesome!

Motion
07-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I'll give you the WiiFit, but I don't foresee the WiiZapper causing any more systems to be sold than what were already going to be sold.

Maybe not many systems, but with Ghost Squad, RE, and Nintendo's own software I'm sure it will sway some people that have multiple systems to buy certain shooters for the Wii. I think they will sell alot of the actual Blasters, $20 w/game? Absolutely.

mor911
07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
i don't think i'd ever buy the Wii version of something over the PS3/360 version... only because nintendo broadcasts that the games are for 'everyone'. which means they're dumbed down so grandma can play. no thanx.

TrueDolFan
07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe not many systems, but with Ghost Squad, RE, and Nintendo's own software I'm sure it will sway some people that have multiple systems to buy certain shooters for the Wii. I think they will sell alot of the actual Blasters, $20 w/game? Absolutely.

I agree. I think that the blaster will be the best thing to ever happen to the FPS genre.

I really hate FPS (except for Metroid Prime). And it's all because of the control. Every FPS, with the exception of Metroid (I love the lock-on), has horrible control.

Arrow keys and mouse BLOWS!! 2 analog sticks BLOWS!!! You can disagree with me all you want, but right now, you're merely used to playing with crap.

With the Wii's new Zapper, I think FPS will FINALLY have good control.

FinsNCanes
07-17-2007, 10:16 AM
The Wii is so gay.

Why can't they seem to do anything about their graphics? Now..I know graphics aren't everything but if your graphics are sub-par you might as well make games that aren't so damn chilldish.

FinsNCanes
07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree. I think that the blaster will be the best thing to ever happen to the FPS genre.

I really hate FPS (except for Metroid Prime). And it's all because of the control. Every FPS, with the exception of Metroid (I love the lock-on), has horrible control.

Arrow keys and mouse BLOWS!! 2 analog sticks BLOWS!!! You can disagree with me all you want, but right now, you're merely used to playing with crap.

Keyboard and mouse blows for an FPS? Hm..

I'll take my mouse over your zapper play toy anyday.

Stitches
07-17-2007, 10:21 AM

So one analog stick control is better than two?

I mean I just don't understand how Metroid has such considerably better control when it is just as limited, if not moreso, than other FPS.

I'm willing to bet you familiarize with Metroid more, so you give it more benefit of the doubt than other games.

Motion
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
i don't think i'd ever buy the Wii version of something over the PS3/360 version... only because nintendo broadcasts that the games are for 'everyone'. which means they're dumbed down so grandma can play. no thanx.

You, as a hardcore gamer, no. But to many casual gamers, very possible.

TrueDolFan
07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Keyboard and mouse blows for an FPS? Hm..

I'll take my mouse over your zapper play toy anyday.

You've settled. You've become used to crap, so crap is what you like.

I will never get used to crap.

Motion
07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
The Wii is so gay.

Why can't they seem to do anything about their graphics? Now..I know graphics aren't everything but if your graphics are sub-par you might as well make games that aren't so damn chilldish.

If they wanted to bring out a system with top notch graphics they would. That is obviously not their goal. Their goal is to have a system that the whole family enjoys playing and that will bring in new gamers. They are exceeding those goals bigtime. From a business standpoint, the Wii is genius, not "gay".

Phin-o-rama
07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
You've settled. You've become used to crap, so crap is what you like.

I will never get used to crap.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

TrueDolFan
07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
So one analog stick control is better than two?

I mean I just don't understand how Metroid has such considerably better control when it is just as limited, if not moreso, than other FPS.

I'm willing to bet you familiarize with Metroid more, so you give it more benefit of the doubt than other games.

You're absolutely right, I identify with Metroid more. One of the greatest franchises in video game history.

But the reason why I like the control, like I said before, is because of the lock-on. I like it better than a 2nd analog stick and using a shoulder button to fire. It gave the freedom to use all the buttons on the controller.

Example: on a PS2 controller, try aiming with the right stick and pushing the circle button at the same time. It ain't gonna happen. This is my biggest gripe with the 2 analog stick scheme. The face buttons can't be used while you use the right stick. Crap.

And don't even get me started with how atrocious controlling something with frickin' arrow keys is! Uber crap.

I think the Zapper will be the answer to my prayers.

Stitches
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
You're absolutely right, I identify with Metroid more. One of the greatest franchises in video game history.

But the reason why I like the control, like I said before, is because of the lock-on. I like it better than a 2nd analog stick and using a shoulder button to fire. It gave the freedom to use all the buttons on the controller.

Example: on a PS2 controller, try aiming with the right stick and pushing the circle button at the same time. It ain't gonna happen. This is my biggest gripe with the 2 analog stick scheme. The face buttons can't be used while you use the right stick. Crap.

And don't even get me started with how atrocious controlling something with frickin' arrow keys is! Uber crap.

I think the Zapper will be the answer to my prayers.

That's why they are unimportant in FPS for the most part, and the integral buttons are the triggers and in the case of the 360, the bumpers.

Medieval954
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
The amount of the Wii hate on this forum is very entertaining. I like reading the whining of "hardcore gamers" about it on here while it keeps steamrolling in sales. Keep it up! :D

On topic, I seriously doubt the Wii will surpass PS2's installed worldwide base. It's well over 100 million+ in sales and it still outsells Xbox 360 and PS3 on a monthly basis. However, I do think the Wii be Nintendo's greatest success since the NES, so I think 60 million+ worldwide sold this generation is possible. It's already over 8 million+ in sales worldwide and has essentially been sold out in the United States since launch with no signs of slowing down.

Get Up And Go
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
The Wii is so gay.

"The Wii is so gay"......Speaking of childish.

Most of the kid games on the Wii are multi platform. Stop hating and give the Wii its props.

muscle979
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
"The Wii is so gay"......Speaking of childish.

Most of the kid games on the Wii are multi platform. Stop hating and give the Wii its props.

You can't deny what the Wii has done up to this point but it's a gimmick and it will not outlast the other two consoles. Once the newness of the system wears off, IMO it won't have the sustaining power the other two will have. I also don't think it will ever top PS2 sales.

Stitches
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
You can't deny what the Wii has done up to this point but it's a gimmick and it will not outlast the other two consoles. Once the newness of the system wears off, IMO it won't have the sustaining power the other two will have. I also don't think it will ever top PS2 sales.

That's how I feel too.

mor911
07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I also feel that the 'revolution' of waving a remote around will eventually wear thin and it'll become a household name in retirement homes while actual gamers will move into the HD era.

Motion
07-18-2007, 10:47 AM

I agree that eventually the sales numbers will slow down but I think it will take longer than usual, or a typical new system, because the market for it is much larger than a "standard" system.

Reading back through this thread, I look like a major Nintendo guy. :lol: Truth is I really like the Wii and enjoy playing it but I can't wait to get my PS3.

mor911
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree that eventually the sales numbers will slow down but I think it will take longer than usual, or a typical new system, because the market for it is much larger than a "standard" system.

Reading back through this thread, I look like a major Nintendo guy. :lol: Truth is I really like the Wii and enjoy playing it but I can't wait to get my PS3.
you fanboy

Motion
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
you fanboy

:kick:

Stitches
07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Don't know if this is the thread to bring this up, but does anyone remember Best Buy selling baseball and tennis games a few years ago that connected to the tv. They were motion sensing and seemingly harder to control than the Wii, at least a steeper learning curve, but it just gives me another example of video games using motion sensing before the Wii(ie it isn't as big a revolution as many claim). Those were a fad IMO, just like I think the Wii will prove to be except with people who are lifelong N followers.

Motion
07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't know if this is the thread to bring this up, but does anyone remember Best Buy selling baseball and tennis games a few years ago that connected to the tv. They were motion sensing and seemingly harder to control than the Wii, at least a steeper learning curve, but it just gives me another example of video games using motion sensing before the Wii(ie it isn't as big a revolution as many claim). Those were a fad IMO, just like I think the Wii will prove to be except with people who are lifelong N followers.

Good grief, what would it take for some of you guys to give them some props?

No one has integrated motion sensing control into mainstream gaming like Nintendo has with the Wii. The sales numbers speak for themselves. Sure there have been arcade like mini games in the past but nothing even close to this extent. Its not even about being a Nintendo fan, the Wii has has reached out far beyond the mainstream gaming community, and no not just to retirement homes :tongue:, and brought in thousands of new gamers. If you would take a step away from being a serious gamer and look at the whole situation from a business/objective point of view you'd realize how great of an idea this was. I had a NES and N64 but never considered myself a Nintendo guy but I can easily see why these things are selling out left and right.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 01:49 PM

The revolution is the fact that it is done so well and in a system that is worth a darn. Plus don't forget Nintendo's first attempt with the power glove and the U (f##$ forgot the name).

The thing I believe though is that the Wii is not the type of console that makes it so people won't buy a 360 or PS3. Those two are compariable enough that it makes sense to make a choice for one and not the other. What happens 2 years from now when the Wii is down to 100 bucks? It is going to sell like hot cakes.

I doubt the Wii is going to slow down too much. I think it is going to be a big system because it is fun. It still fun to non gamers. Plus it is cheaper. Plus it does have the doing more exercise factor for parents to want to buy it for their kids more.

Stitches
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Good grief, what would it take for some of you guys to give them some props?

No one has integrated motion sensing control into mainstream gaming like Nintendo has with the Wii. The sales numbers speak for themselves. Sure there have been arcade like mini games in the past but nothing even close to this extent. Its not even about being a Nintendo fan, the Wii has has reached out far beyond the mainstream gaming community, and no not just to retirement homes :tongue:, and brought in thousands of new gamers. If you would take a step away from being a serious gamer and look at the whole situation from a business/objective point of view you'd realize how great of an idea this was. I had a NES and N64 but never considered myself a Nintendo guy but I can easily see why these things are selling out left and right.

I know it is killing right now, I'm talking two years down the road. And I didn't even know it was a big hit in retirement homes, I thought that was just a joke because those were used to test the system's appeal(if it is a hit there, they need to make a card game for it). From a business point, I'm sure they are already making tons of money on the system and they probably did choose best to not compete directly with Sony and Microsoft(target the same audience I mean). I just said it's my opinion that it will slow down considerably in the future, because the general public goes through phases often(which is why I said after it wore off, only the usual N followers would be left buying for the system).

Motion
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I know it is killing right now, I'm talking two years down the road. And I didn't even know it was a big hit in retirement homes, I thought that was just a joke because those were used to test the system's appeal(if it is a hit there, they need to make a card game for it). From a business point, I'm sure they are already making tons of money on the system and they probably did choose best to not compete directly with Sony and Microsoft(target the same audience I mean). I just said it's my opinion that it will slow down considerably in the future, because the general public goes through phases often(which is why I said after it wore off, only the usual N followers would be left buying for the system).

Fair enough.

Yeah, I saw a special on the news awhile back about how popular they were at retirement homes. Wii Bowling and Tennis Leagues, Wii Golf Tournaments, etc... Crazy.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 02:41 PM

2 years down the road it will probably be 100 to 150 bucks. Which will cause an explosion since that is the magic console range of selling a lot of units. Especially if there is a decent library of games.

Stitches
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
2 years down the road it will probably be 100 to 150 bucks. Which will cause an explosion since that is the magic console range of selling a lot of units. Especially if there is a decent library of games.

Very true.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I also feel that the 'revolution' of waving a remote around will eventually wear thin and it'll become a household name in retirement homes while actual gamers will move into the HD era.

Just like how Nintendo's revolutionary D-Pad wore thin, and like Nintendo's next innovation in the way we control video games, the analog control stick, wore thin, right? Did you hate on Nintendo when they made those innovations?

I don't like your attitude of superiority. Like you are in some elite club of "actual" gamers.

I take offense to your insinuation that people who like something different than you do are somehow not "real" video game fans.

The fact of the matter is, you are in the minority. Most people (myself included) don't own an HDTV. Am I a "fake" gamer? Do I have to buy one to be in your little club?

All I care about is gameplay. In the realm of video games, gameplay is my king. It looks like you've lost touch, and shiny bells and whistles have become your king.

mor911
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
No, i need to play games that have depth and storylines and something to keep me interested. You're saying that a game that's designed so everyone can play is good enough for you. Nintendo openly says they want everyone playing their games. I don't want a console that's loaded with games my mom can play. I own one. But it just isn't my thing. If it's you thing then so be it.

You talk about the future and inovation. Reality check. HDTV sales have doubled each year since they've been introduced. Everything will be HD.

Stitches
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
No, i need to play games that have depth and storylines and something to keep me interested. You're saying that a game that's designed so everyone can play is good enough for you. Nintendo openly says they want everyone playing their games. I don't want a console that's loaded with games my mom can play. I own one. But it just isn't my thing. If it's you thing then so be it.

You talk about the future and inovation. Reality check. HDTV sales have doubled each year since they've been introduced. Everything will be HD.

2/17/2009 - HD-DAY!! :woot:

Motion
07-18-2007, 03:54 PM
2/17/2009 - HD-DAY!! :woot:

Thats digital day, not HD day.

Stitches
07-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Thats digital day, not HD day.

We already have a prominent D-day in history.

I don't want to think of D-day as the day we get analog shut off. Let me call it HD-Day!

Plus we won't get it confused with the poster that way either.

muscle979
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM

HDTV sales are going through the roof. Everybody is getting one and it's definitely not going to slow down. People don't think HD is a big deal until they see it and then they want one. A friend watched the Super Bowl on my plasma and bought one within a month. I showed another guy a blu ray movie and I suspect he'll be acquiring a PS3 or a blu ray player as soon as he can.

As I said, that's why PS3 and 360 will have more sustaining power on the market. I'm sure the Wii games are fun but the other two systems are just capable of so much more. The PS3 controller can do a lot of the motion sensing stuff anyway.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Anybody can play any game on any system.

Of course Nintendo wants everyone playing their games. Sony and Microsoft want everybody to play their games, too.

I agree, eventually, everything will be HD. But last time I checked, HDTV's don't help gameplay.

And yes, I talk about innovation. You don't have an answer for your hate for Nintendo's motion sensing innovation. When Sony and Microsoft incorporate it into their systems (and don't give me anything about the sixaxis, it isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as the Wiimote), I predict you and your "actual" gamers will eat it up.

Did the d-pad revolutionize gaming? Did the analog stick revolutionize gaming?

There were detractors like you back then, too. They said the same thing about the d-pad and analog stick that you are saying about motion sensing control. They were just as wrong then as you are now.

I ask you again, did you hate on Nintendo back then for those innovations? Are you rooting for Nintendo to fail, so that they won't prove you wrong yet again?

You want to believe that it is you who are "moving into a new era" with HD. But like I said before, HD doesn't affect gameplay.

You can't see the forest for the trees. It is YOU who are stuck in the past, clinging onto the tried and true way of controlling games, playing games the way you have for years, and wanting only graphics to improve.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Of course Nintendo wants everyone playing their games. Sony and Microsoft want everybody to play their games, too.

I agree, eventually, everything will be HD. But last time I checked, HDTV's don't help gameplay.

And yes, I talk about innovation. You don't have an answer for your hate for Nintendo's motion sensing innovation. When Sony and Microsoft incorporate it into their systems (and don't give me anything about the sixaxis, it isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as the Wiimote), I predict you and your "actual" gamers will eat it up.

There were detractors like you back then, too. They said the same thing about the d-pad and analog stick that you are saying about motion sensing control. They were just as wrong then as you are now.

I ask you again, did you hate on Nintendo back then for those innovations? Are you rooting for Nintendo to fail, so that they won't prove you wrong yet again?

You want to believe that it is you who are "moving into a new era" with HD. But like I said before, HD doesn't affect gameplay.

You can't see the forest for the trees. It is YOU who are stuck in the past, clinging onto the tried and true way of controlling games, playing games the way you have for years, and wanting only graphics to improve.

That is very true if you aren't playing on HD :)

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
HDTV sales are going through the roof. Everybody is getting one and it's definitely not going to slow down. People don't think HD is a big deal until they see it and then they want one. A friend watched the Super Bowl on my plasma and bought one within a month. I showed another guy a blu ray movie and I suspect he'll be acquiring a PS3 or a blu ray player as soon as he can.

As I said, that's why PS3 and 360 will have more sustaining power on the market. I'm sure the Wii games are fun but the other two systems are just capable of so much more. The PS3 controller can do a lot of the motion sensing stuff anyway.

Since when did everybody substitute HD graphics for gameplay?

That statement in bold is laughable. It's not even close to the motion sensing of the Wiimote.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM

I believed it was when we didn't have to put up with 16 bit graphics anymore and games were able to truely be a feast for the eyes and fun to play.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
That is very true if you aren't playing on HD :)

Touche. :)

A friend of my son brought his PS3 over to our house to play it at a sleepover. The only game he had was Resistance. On a standard TV, I wasn't at all impressed with the graphics.

I know that HD looks better. I'll get one eventually.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I believed it was when we didn't have to put up with 16 bit graphics anymore and games were able to truely be a feast for the eyes and fun to play.

Gameplay > Graphics

I know graphics are nice, but they don't make a game fun! Gameplay makes a game fun.

muscle979
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM

That statement in bold is laughable. It's not even close to the motion sensing of the Wiimote.

I think it's closer than you think it is. It's pretty sensitive. I played a WWII fighter pilot game that supported it and you could do whatever you wanted with your plane with just the sixaxis stuff. What more is there to motion sensing?

muscle979
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Gameplay > Graphics

I know graphics are nice, but they don't make a game fun! Gameplay makes a game fun.

But you can have both.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Gameplay > Graphics

I don't disagree with this statement. However that is only goes into effect if the game play isn't as good. However when you have a situation where gameplay is just as good, Graphics > worse graphics.

Not having HD graphics is one of the reason I have not bought a Wii. Plus really it doesn't have the games I would play by myself. Wii is an excellent party game system. I don't think it is that great of an indivisual game system

Phinz420
07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
But you can have both.

Yep, and all it takes is a PC. :tongue:

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
But you can have both.

True.

But it doesn't change the fact that Gameplay > Graphics.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't disagree with this statement. However that is only goes into effect if the game play isn't as good. However when you have a situation where gameplay is just as good, Graphics > worse graphics.

Not having HD graphics is one of the reason I have not bought a Wii. Plus really it doesn't have the games I would play by myself. Wii is an excellent party game system. I don't think it is that great of an indivisual game system

It'll get better. Especially with Metroid: Corruption and Mario Galaxy coming out soon.

mor911
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I know that gameplay is more important than graphics. I still play old SNES games over this stuff all the time. The problem is... Nintendo have ignored the fact that the term videogame has two parts. 'video' and 'game'. They've got 'game' down perfectly. Everyone can do it. But they've got everyone convinced that 'video' is nothing. Maybe the Wii is just a game machine.... never thought of it that way.

Anyway. My gripe with the Wiimote isn't that it's different. It's that games are being dumbed down for the thing and people rant and rave about it simply because you wave your arms around.

I have Wario ware. I have Wii sports. I have RE4 and Paper Mario. Even still the Wii only gets played when there's a group of people in my house. And even then it always goes back to in-depth games (if it's actual gamers that come over) like NBA2K7 or something.

I guess I just want them to make something for me. For my friends. For the gamers. It's frustrating to think that the new Mario Galaxy will be made so that my grand parents can play too!!! yay. That's what I want. No. I want a game that will challenge me. And if my grandma or 2 year old niece can play it... then it's not for me.

I know every household is different. Not everyone hangs with 20-29 years buddies all the time in a Coral Springs bachelor pad. I just speak it how I see it.

FinsNCanes
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM

The point is the games ****ing suck for the most part.

They gear more towards kids and nobody "hates" Nintendo. You seem to harp on it's the gameplay, etc. I personally think the 360 and ps3 blow Nintendo away when it comes to gameplay. Yeah..the wiimore is fun..till you get tired of doing it.

Cheer up fanboi.

TrueDolFan
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I know that gameplay is more important than graphics. I still play old SNES games over this stuff all the time. The problem is... Nintendo have ignored the fact that the term videogame has two parts. 'video' and 'game'. They've got 'game' down perfectly. Everyone can do it. But they've got everyone convinced that 'video' is nothing. Maybe the Wii is just a game machine.... never thought of it that way.

Anyway. My gripe with the Wiimote isn't that it's different. It's that games are being dumbed down for the thing and people rant and rave about it simply because you wave your arms around.

I have Wario ware. I have Wii sports. I have RE4 and Paper Mario. Even still the Wii only gets played when there's a group of people in my house. And even then it always goes back to in-depth games (if it's actual gamers that come over) like NBA2K7 or something.

I guess I just want them to make something for me. For my friends. For the gamers. It's frustrating to think that the new Mario Galaxy will be made so that my grand parents can play too!!! yay. That's what I want. No. I want a game that will challenge me. And if my grandma or 2 year old niece can play it... then it's not for me.

I know every household is different. Not everyone hangs with 20-29 years buddies all the time in a Coral Springs bachelor pad. I just speak it how I see it.

Did you just call NBA2K7 in depth? :confused:

I can't agree more that games aren't as challenging as they used to be. I firmly believe that most of these younger guys (who grew up playing Playstation 1, not NES) don't have a clue of what a hard game is REALLY like.
Plus, there was no internet, no GameFAQs to go to if you got stuck. You had to figure it out your damn self! To this day, I refuse to use strategy guides and internet help sites. Those are for the weak.

I was always the one guy out of all my friends that made it a point to beat every game I played. Most of my friends would give up if it got tough.

Anyhoo, I would LOVE to see difficulty make a comeback.

Desides
07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Too each their own.

Wii Fit will sell, but at this point, I expect the non-gamers to be experiencing diminishing returns with the Wii. I don't know that they'll want Wii Fit, but it's certainly worth trying.

Mario Kart Wii will do well, but it won't be a mega-blockbuster. I'd expect, at most, 2 million units sold worldwide during the thing's lifetime.

And lest people think I'm just bashing the Wii, I'm not: I own the thing. I'm just being realistic about it. At some point, the Wii will have to rely on a solid library of real games, and it doesn't have that.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Wii Fit will sell, but at this point, I expect the non-gamers to be experiencing diminishing returns with the Wii. I don't know that they'll want Wii Fit, but it's certainly worth trying.

Mario Kart Wii will do well, but it won't be a mega-blockbuster. I'd expect, at most, 2 million units sold worldwide during the thing's lifetime.

And lest people think I'm just bashing the Wii, I'm not: I own the thing. I'm just being realistic about it. At some point, the Wii will have to rely on a solid library of real games, and it doesn't have that.

Mario Kart 64 (which is what the game is based off of) sold 1 million units in the first 2 months. It is also one of the best selling racing console game of all time.

If Mario Kart Wii is a better version of Mario Kart 64, they have a mega blockbuster on their hands. I know as a mario kart 64 fan I did not like the Gamecube version since it was more like the super nes version.

Lukin
07-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Anyhoo, I would LOVE to see difficulty make a comeback.

Try Ninja Gaiden.

Lukin
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
IMO, Nintendo's greatness has been declining since the SNES. Except for Wii, I have owned every Nintendo system since the NES (even the virtual boy). Most of my all-time fav games are for SNES and N64. But I was disapointed with the Gamecube, and I haven't even played a Wii yet because there are no games for it (besides Twilight Princess) that even interest me.

My point is, Nintendo is targeting a whole new fanbase because I guess they figure they can make more money that way; but in doing so, they're turning their back on their longtime fans (like me). But this is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time, the Wii is just another step in the same direction. I probably will get a Wii later on, mostly for the virtual console. I mean, how many times can they remake Mario, Smash Bros., and Zelda before it gets old?

Stitches
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
IMO, Nintendo's greatness has been declining since the SNES. Except for Wii, I have owned every Nintendo system since the NES (even the virtual boy). Most of my all-time fav games are for SNES and N64. But I was disapointed with the Gamecube, and I haven't even played a Wii yet because there are no games for it (besides Twilight Princess) that even interest me.

My point is, Nintendo is targeting a whole new fanbase because I guess they figure they can make more money that way; but in doing so, they're turning their back on their longtime fans (like me). But this is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time, the Wii is just another step in the same direction. I probably will get a Wii later on, mostly for the virtual console. I mean, how many times can they remake Mario, Smash Bros., and Zelda before it gets old?

Based on sales, I'm guessing at least 5 generations(or 3 in SSBs case).

FinsNCanes
07-19-2007, 02:43 PM
How about Nintendo makes a Bomberman worth playing again? Super Bomberman was badasss.

mor911
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
How about Nintendo makes a Bomberman worth playing again? Super Bomberman was badasss.Hudson makes Bomberman :tongue:

TrueDolFan
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Try Ninja Gaiden.

I played and beat all the Ninja Gaidens on the NES. I love those games.

I've been wanting to get an XBox ever since the new one came out, but I can't justify buying a system for only one game.

Greatness920
07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
the wii sucks except for the controller..

mor911
07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I never could get into the new Ninja Gaiden. Even when NG:Black came out on Xbox, I couldn't enjoy it. Not my thing (killing millions of ninjas) i guess.

TrueDolFan
07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
I never could get into the new Ninja Gaiden. Even when NG:Black came out on Xbox, I couldn't enjoy it. Not my thing (killing millions of ninjas) i guess.

I heard it was awesome. But those who say that probably didn't ever play the originals.

Did you like the originals? Would you say the originals are better?

Motion
07-19-2007, 03:44 PM

:err:

TrueDolFan
07-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Great post. Very insightful.

mor911
07-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I heard it was awesome. But those who say that probably didn't ever play the originals.

Did you like the originals? Would you say the originals are better?I absolutely LOVE the old NES games. Still play 'em every now and again. All of my friends loved NG:Black... It's prolly just me.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Did you like the originals? Would you say the originals are better?

I think if you like action games it is an awesome game. It is hard as hell though.

I do like the originals as well. They are way too different.

TrueDolFan
07-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I absolutely LOVE the old NES games. Still play 'em every now and again. All of my friends loved NG:Black... It's prolly just me.

What is the difference between Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden: Black on the XBox?

I seem to remember Black was a reissue with a few bonus levels? Was Black just as difficult?

Medieval954
07-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Question
How many times will Sony make Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, SOCOM, Hot Shots Golf, WipeOut, God of War games before it gets old?

How many times will Microsoft make Halo and Project Gotham Racing games before it gets old?

How many times will SEGA make Sonic, Phantasy Star and Virtua Fighter games before it gets old?

How many times will Square-Enix make Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games before it gets old?

How many times will Konami make Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Dance Dance Revolution games before they get old?

How many times will Capcom make Mega Man, Resident Evil and Street Fighter games before they get old?

How many times will Ubisoft make Splinter Cell and Rayman games before it gets old?

How many times will Activision make Tony Hawk, Spider-Man and Call of Duty games before it gets old?

How many times will Take Two make Grand Theft Auto and Midnight Club games before it gets old?

How many times will Tecmo make Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games before it gets old?

How many times will Midway make Mortal Kombat games before it gets old?

How many times will LucasArts make Star Wars games before it gets old?

How many times will Namco make Tekken, Soul Calibur and Riiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrr games before it gets old?

How many times will Atari make Dragon Ball Z, Alone In The Dark and Driver games before it gets old?

How many times will EA make yearly updates to nearly every one of their games?

Answer
They'll stop making them when people stop buying them. They are called "franchises" for a reason.

This thread is a great read, though. People act like Nintendo kicked their dog or something. But please everyone, post more so I can be entertained. Thanks! :)

Desides
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been wanting to get an XBox ever since the new one came out, but I can't justify buying a system for only one game.

But you can apparently justify kidding yourself when you say that you're buying a system for only one game.

Aussiefinfan54
07-20-2007, 09:50 PM
no way will it beat PS2 sales, of course the nintendo president would say this, its not like he is gonna go nah i dont think that it can pass the PS2 in sales because its not as good.

Scatman
07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
i mean this it really matter at this point......
wii's taking over.... i thought it was gonna be awesome when i first got it, now only my daughter plays it every once in a while. i really really hope they get out some new "original" good ip's. i mean even with gamecube..nintendo had pikmin...and i dont know other original crap for the system. so far i havent heard anything for the wii.

Aussiefinfan54
07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
i mean this it really matter at this point......
wii's taking over.... i thought it was gonna be awesome when i first got it, now only my daughter plays it every once in a while. i really really hope they get out some new "original" good ip's. i mean even with gamecube..nintendo had pikmin...and i dont know other original crap for the system. so far i havent heard anything for the wii.

yeah same as 2 of my mates who bought one when it first came out. they have been lending it out to people the last 2 months coz they just dont really play it any more. personally i have played it quite a bit and its a bit of fun at first coz its something different but overall probably not worth buying as it seems to lose its novelty affect pretty quickly and from what i have seen ends up being passed around or sitting idle and un-used next to the TV.

Silverphin
07-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, here's the links for all the upcoming and current games for the Wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_games

Edit: They seem to have an exclusive RE title coming up in November.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_The_Umbrella_Chronicles

JT#1
07-21-2007, 12:03 AM
i bought a wii, played it for a few weeks, but then it just got boring, theres really no games that provide depth. I think its a fad that will eventually burn out unless Nintendo can actually come out for decent games for gamers, because the only games they have right now are ones that are only fun if you play with a group of people.