PDA

View Full Version : Another Which To Get Thread

SKing29
07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Okay, well as many have said before I am going to take the plunge into the new generation of consoles and I need some advice.

Which To Get?

The Xbox360 Premium Or The Xbox360 Elite.

From what I've read the Elite only has two things over the Premie: An extra 100GB of storage and an HDMI Cable. Since I don't have an HDTV the HDMI Cable doesn't matter to me, what my choice does come down to is the hard drive. I notice the 120GB Hard Drive sold seperately costs $180 dollars so a Premie with a 120GB Hard Drive would be a $580, so that makes the Elite look good, but my question for you all who own 360s is how important will the extra GBs be. I don't plan to be an avid downloader but do want to have enough storage to amass quite a bit of demos and use it as a multimedia tool to an extent but not to a ridiculous amount, and I really don't know how far a 20GB can go.

So how far does the 20GB go, and which would be a better overall purchase for someone in my situation.

mor911
07-16-2007, 03:07 PM
i download just about every demo and have never had an issue with just 20GB. I don't download videos from video marketplace though.

I think a premie would be fine for you.

Stitches
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm down to 4 gigs left on my 20gig(I have like 15 different games saved and 4 XBLA games). I need to delete the 10 songs that come on the HD and 5 Red vs. Blue videos that I have downloaded. I imagine after x-mas I'll want to look into getting a bigger HD or something.

SKing29
07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm down to 4 gigs left on my 20gig(I have like 15 different games saved and 4 XBLA games). I need to delete the 10 songs that come on the HD and 5 Red vs. Blue videos that I have downloaded. I imagine after x-mas I'll want to look into getting a bigger HD or something.

Okay this answers quite a bit of my question because I would plan to keep about the same number of games saved (which it would take a while to get), also a few XBLA games as well. As for songs about 10 is what I would keep around and the videos would also be around 5. I'm not a person who keeps a lot of old stuff saved, when I'm not playing a game, listening to music whatever I just delete something (I've had my same 8MB PS2 card ever since I've had the system). So that really helped out and gave me a sense of what to expect.

Also as another question, is there a certain place that is best to get a 360 from as far as returning and all that. I know the 360 has a 3 year warranty now, and I was planning to get the 360 and a game or so from Dell, so I can pay a monthly payment (since I don't have enough money to buy one straight out), so is this a good idea? Thanks for any suggestions.

DisturbedShifty
07-16-2007, 05:58 PM
If your looking for space the the ELite is the way to go. But if you want music on the 360 go with a USB storage device, thats what I use and it keeps memory free. And it also depends on how many games from Arcade you plan on downloading as well. I have I think 12 or 13 ARcade games saved at around 5 or 6 regual game saves and I have about 11 gigs of memory left.

But I would suggest not buying the Elite, the HDMI cable is nice and all, but the Elite doesn't have as many fans as the 20 gig 360. So you run the risk of it over heating. Your choice.

mor911
07-16-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3 red ring issue has been corrected with the release of the Elite.

Stitches
07-16-2007, 06:08 PM
If your looking for space the the ELite is the way to go. But if you want music on the 360 go with a USB storage device, thats what I use and it keeps memory free. And it also depends on how many games from Arcade you plan on downloading as well. I have I think 12 or 13 ARcade games saved at around 5 or 6 regual game saves and I have about 11 gigs of memory left.

But I would suggest not buying the Elite, the HDMI cable is nice and all, but the Elite doesn't have as many fans as the 20 gig 360. So you run the risk of it over heating. Your choice.

Go with connecting it to your PC through a router or something. I have access to every music file on my computer that way.

DisturbedShifty
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3 red ring issue has been corrected with the release of the Elite.
According to my friend who is a video game store manager, the 3 lights od doom on the Eleite is a much higher probability than it is on hte regualr 360s. My buddy went in the this week to buy a Elite and she refused to sell him one based on the fact that it is more likly to screw up. She only did this because she is our friend, but that is where I got my infomation from. So take it as how you want.

SKing29
07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Useful information everyone and I never thought of USB storage and using it on a network, great ideas that for my needs would suffice. Also from what everyone else has said the 20GB model could hold all I need.

One question remains though, would getting it through Dell be a problem (has anyone done a similar method)?