PDA

View Full Version : Are PS3's region free?

HysterikiLL
07-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Simple question. My PS2 just carked it..RIP lil man.

Anyway, I figured I'd be upgrading soon enough. Can't really afford it, but I don't really want to be without. But as most of you know, I'm from NZ where all out games (at least on PS2) are PAL version. I only play Madden and NCAA and therefore had my PS2 chipped to play NTSC games....I heard a while back that PS3's were going to be region free but I can't find accurate info. anywhere for some reason. So my question is if I buy a PS3 will I be able to play NCAA or will I need to get it chipped somehow?

Cheers

HysterikiLL
07-19-2007, 03:52 AM
p.s. are they even worth buying?

Dolfan32323
07-19-2007, 09:07 AM
If you're just going to play Madden in NCAA why not get a 360 for less money? Just a thought.

Aussiefinfan54
07-20-2007, 10:03 PM

deffinantly worth buying if u can afford it of course, as for region free my knowledge is this, i am pretty sure that they arent, im not 100% but pretty damn sure, that is why the release got delayed for ages here(Australia) and i presume it was the same for NZ because they didnt have the PAL version ready for the expected november release, instead they put all the effort into getting the release in Nth America and japan before christmas. The PAL version for europe and Australia/New Zealand got held back till march.

madden comes out here on like the 8th of August or something like that i think, im not sure about NCAA i dont usually see it much in stores when i am game browsing but they may also release a version compatible with the OZ/NZ PS3's.

hope that helps.

Dolfan32323
07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
try the sony forums

Dolfan5000
07-21-2007, 03:22 PM
The games are region free.

SarahAnn
07-21-2007, 06:19 PM

This is a question no one but yourself can answer. If you enjoy the games out on PS3 than it will indeed be worth getting. If you are getting one just to get one than no. Same goes for the 360 and Wii. It all comes down to your own opinion.

My personal opinion is I love my PS3, being able to convert movies and transfer them right over to the PS3 is great. Games are all that I ask for. 1080HD is incredible.