PDA

View Full Version : saying, "God damn it".

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I said this in a thread today, and a poster pm'd me saying even though he wasn't a mod, he would like it if I didn't say that anymore...

What is so bad about this statement? Is it insulting to "god"? Does it demean "him"? I personally don't see a problem with it. I would never insult someone else's beliefs..

Also, is it against the TOS to say this?

Alex44
07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Is it wrong this makes me chuckle?

Don't worry about it, it isn't in the TOS. It is someone being overly religious trying to regulate your speach.

God damn it that's wrong!

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't think it is wrong that it makes you chuckle. Like I said to the person, this might have been the most ridiculous thing anyone has said to me on Finheaven,,,

The real question I have is, what makes it so wrong? I fail to grasp the reasoning used to condemn the statement..

Enforcerfin33
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
wow....good thing I PM'd you so this wouldn't happen huh Bull? Look it is offensive, it is offensive to alot of people, and whats worse is I was nice about it, I didnt attack you. Look this is supposed to be a "family oriented" board. I wouldn't want my kids reading you using Gods name in vain like that. You act like I am twisting your arm off man.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
wow....good thing I PM'd you so this wouldn't happen huh Bull? Look it is offensive, it is offensive to alot of people, and whats worse is I was nice about it, I didnt attack you. Look this is supposed to be a "family oriented" board. I wouldn't want my kids reading you using Gods name in vain like that. You act like I am twisting your arm off man.I never mentioned who sent the PM, or was I going to...I just wanted to know how this statement is offensive. And if it in someway was against the TOS. I cant see it being offensive in the slightest way. There are a lot of thing that are said on this board that I don't like, don't agree with, and at times find mildly offensive. I think this is a product of having people with different opinions and beliefs posting here...I actually found it mildly offensive that you would ask me not to say that anymore..

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I just thought it could lead to an interesting, and possibly educating, discussion...

Firesole
07-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I just thought it could lead to an interesting, and possibly educating, discussion...

I'm not sure it will lead to any education. Interesting as hell, but not educating. I personally don't see the problem with it at all. There's alot of things I've read on here over the years that I do not like nor agree with, but I've never felt offended by anything. It would take alot for someone on an internet message board to offend me I think.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure it will lead to any education. Interesting as hell, but not educating. I personally don't see the problem with it at all. There's alot of things I've read on here over the years that I do not like nor agree with, but I've never felt offended by anything. It would take alot for someone on an internet message board to offend me I think.I meant educating in the sense that, maybe someone can explain why this is offensive, and then I would know...However, you are right, when it comes to religious discussion people hardly ever learn anything due to the stubbornness to be close minded and only accept what they believe...

Mike13
07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I think its insulting because it means you condemn someone to hell or something along those lines.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 05:16 PM
If you believe in God, it is insulting.You are cursing God. If you don't believe in God, why say it ? The fact that this phrase is not banned, but certain words that I can think of are, is ridiculous.

Pagan
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I think its insulting because it means you condemn someone to hell or something along those lines.
If that's the case, then it's no different than telling someone that if they don't accept Jesus they're going to hell. :wink:

Mike13
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
If that's the case, then it's no different than telling someone that if they don't accept Jesus they're going to hell. :wink:

:lol: When in doubt, Use wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I think its insulting because it means you condemn someone to hell or something along those lines.So if I say "God damn Peyton Manning for breaking Dan's record" that would be insulting to Peyton, not god...

If I were to say "God damn, its raining outside" who does that insult, the rain?

Am I understanding it right, that it isn't insulting to god or Christians to say this, more insulting to the person being "damned"...

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
If you believe in God, it is insulting.You are cursing God. If you don't believe in God, why say it ? The fact that this phrase is not banned, but certain words that I can think of are, is ridiculous.How is it insulting god? Saying "**** God" is insulting. Saying "God damn you." doesn't target God at all...

As far as not saying it if you don't believe in god, I don't think gas prices literally suck, but does that mean I can not say "the price of gas really sucks"....

Pagan
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
To all Christians....lighten up.

If I had a dime for every time the word "Witch" was used in a derogatory manner....:lol:

Alex44
07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
I think the problem here is that:

A: Not everyone believes in God, to me I just use the word God to add emphasis to things like this.

B: The phrase isn't insulting to God (assuming there was one) but rather the person it's directed at.

C: It is better than some things that aren't filtered here, like I don't see 'crap' as being any better or worse.

Dolphin39
07-19-2007, 05:31 PM
It is a very offensive term to all Christians; myself included.

As a courtesy, it would be very polite for each of you to not use the phrase. Especially, now that you know it is offensive to others. :(

You wouldn't call a person of color the "n" word because you know it offends them. :confused:

Please give Christians the same courtesy.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Whats worse, saying "God damn you" or "Go to hell"?

Literally translated, they have the same meaning. Yet I have never heard someone say that "go to hell" is offensive in the way that many saying "God damn it/you" is...

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM

As a courtesy, it would be very polite for each of you to not use the phrase. Especially, now that you know it is offensive to others. :(

You wouldn't call a person of color the "n" word because you know it offends them. :confused:

Please give Christians the same courtesy.We all know why "n" is offensive, and it is offensive directly to the people it is targeting...No one has really given a reason as to why "god damn" is offensive, and on top of that, it isn't targeting "God"...

I would love for you to explain why it is offensive to god, and in turn Christians...

Pagan
07-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Please refer to my last post. :wink:

I would love for you to explain why it is offensive to god, and in turn Christians...
Because that is what they're taught from a young age. I was told that myself when I was growing up a Christian. No explanation for it, just "don't say that cause it offends God." :rolleyes:

YoMamma
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
i think you need to look at the phrase differently....you cant read it literally...the phrase "god damn you" is basically stating that you are damning god....not that you want god to damn something.....in other words when you are saying God damn you....you are damning god for something.....but the phrase God damn it.....im not sure what the big deal with that.

Pagan
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
i think you need to look at the phrase differently....you cant read it literally...the phrase "god damn you" is basically stating that you are damning god....not that you want god to damn something.....in other words when you are saying God damn you....you are damning god for something.....but the phrase God damn it.....im not sure what the big deal with that.
Unless of course you're saying "God damn you" to another person. Then it can be taken just the way it's said.

LouPhinFan
07-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, its one of the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:7 says:

7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name (N.I.V.)

Personally, I'm not offended by it, because its between you and God. Its his job to judge, not mine.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=exodus%2020&version=31

Den54
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM

7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name (N.I.V.)

Personally, I'm not offended by it, because its between you and God. Its his job to judge, not mine.

I can't beleive it took 22 post to get to this.:lol:

ckb2001
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
There was one experience I had waiting at a bus stop where two black women were arguing over why saying "Bless you" is insulting. Basically, one of the women said it used to be "may God bless you" asking God to bless you. Then, it became "God bless you" as if we could command God to do something, and now it's "bless you" as if we are God.

:sidelol:

Well, anyway, you never know how something so innocuous can be insulting to others. On the other hand, they don't seem to care about what is insulting to me (saying people should believe in something with no evidence, or science is a religion, etc.. does that trick), so I say who cares.. at least until it's illegal and there is a tangible penalty.

Dolphin39
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Using God's name in vain is something that is not supposed to be done.

Using God's name in relation to "damning" anyone or anything is wrong and offensive.

It's that simple folks. :(

LouPhinFan
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I can't beleive it took 22 post to get to this.:lol:

No joke! As soon as I saw what this thread was about, I was like
"dude, the reason its offensive to God is because he told everyone in the Ten Commandments not to do it"

:lol:

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM

How is this phrase misusing gods name though? Is it any different than saying to someone, "God I don't like you" or "God doesn't approve of you not believing in him"...

IMO, misusing "Gods name" would be saying something like "God is an *******"...

Stitches
07-19-2007, 05:53 PM

So it should especially be no problem for people who don't believe in the christian god to say the phrase.

They wouldn't be referring to the christian god in any sense of the phrase if they don't believe in that particular god anyways, because in order to refer to it that way(the way people are taking it to where they are offended), they'd have to admit your god exists. Right?

I only say god dammit to add emphasis or express myself a certain way. My religious views aren't factored in when I say it.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Please refer to my last post. :wink:

Because that is what they're taught from a young age. I was told that myself when I was growing up a Christian. No explanation for it, just "don't say that cause it offends God." :rolleyes:I was taught that at a young age as well. When I asked why, I was never given a legitimate answer. This seems to be a trend with religions, and that is what turned me away. Instead of trying to ask or answer questions, people are supposed to just obey...

Stitches
07-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Using God's name in relation to "damning" anyone or anything is wrong and offensive.

It's that simple folks. :(

Only in regards to what you follow. You should realize that not everyone follows your commandments and not everything as such is offensive.

Hell when I damn anything it's pretty a empty 'threat' considering I don't believe in any afterlife. I only say dammit to help express how I feel.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

It's that simple folks. :(It ins't really as simple as you would like to paint it...

How is saying that using gods name in vain? And when the phrase is just an expression, and you don't really want someone damned, does it still make it wrong? If so, why is that insulting to God? And why does it become insulting to Christians? If someone calls a Mexican that you don't know a "spick" does it offend you?

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
It seems to me that Christians saying this is offensive and trying to not allow people to say it, is more about controlling people, and flexing their muscle, than it being offensive...

LouPhinFan
07-19-2007, 06:04 PM
How is this phrase misusing gods name though? Is it any different than saying to someone, "God I don't like you" or "God doesn't approve of you not believing in him"...

Well you're using God's name to damn someone or something. I'd say that's a big misuse. Its the same with "God, I don't like you" or just "God". All of it is taking his name in vain.

The way I look at it is I can't keep you from using it, its your choice to use his name like that. So I'm not going to worry about it, God will do what he needs to do on judgement day. As far as saying something like "God is a/an [insert cuss word of choice here]", well remind me not to stand next to you on judgement day...:)

ABrownLamp
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
It's a message board folks.

Just words on a screen.

TrueDolFan
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Please refrain from inappropriate comments

I think Christians will tell you that it's misusing his name because you're not using his name to praise him, you're using it to command him. And commanding God is a sinny sin sin!

But what I want to know, how do you know his name is "God"? He is referred to in the Bible as the "God of Gods", "King of Kings", "The Lord", and many others. Maybe he wants to be called Steve.

And what are you supposed to say during an orgasm? "Oh my golly?" How many hypocritical "Christians" say "Oh my God"?

I wonder what God thinks about you calling out his name in the throes of passion? Maybe he gets turned on by it...

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Well you're using God's name to damn someone or something. I'd say that's a big misuse. Its the same with "God, I don't like you" or just "God". All of it is taking his name in vain.

The way I look at it is I can't keep you from using it, its your choice to use his name like that. So I'm not going to worry about it, God will do what he needs to do on judgement day. As far as saying something like "God is a/an [insert cuss word of choice here]", well remind me not to stand next to you on judgement day...:)Lets be clear, I only said that for discussion. I don't want everyone getting all uptight thinking I am insulting god...I have no reason to say that, since I would have to have feelings for someone or something to give out an emotional response like that...

ABrownLamp
07-19-2007, 06:09 PM

The way I look at it is I can't keep you from using it, its your choice to use his name like that. So I'm not going to worry about it, God will do what he needs to do on judgement day. As far as saying something like "God is a/an [insert cuss word of choice here]", well remind me not to stand next to you on judgement day...:)

So just saying God is using his name in vain? See, this stuff gets so silly.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
It's a message board folks.

Just words on a screen.This issue clearly stretches beyond the screen. Telling me not to say it anymore on the board goes beyond what anyone has ever said to me regarding the phrase though. Ive been told for years not to say "god damn it", and never been given a real reason as to why.

Mike13
07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
And what are you supposed to say during an orgasm? "Oh my golly?" How many hypocritical "Christians" say "Oh my God"?

Sex is evil though remember? Well at least according to some really wacko extremists.

Stitches
07-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Sex is evil though remember? WEll at least according to some really wacko extremists.

Yea, when it is done for any purpose other to procreate it's evil. And especially when it is done out of wedlock.

Quelonio
07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I am not a christian, I am not bound to follow any commandment and I will say god damn it how many times I want because it is not forbiden by Budhism. And if the mods made that phrase ilegal on this forums I would take it as supressing my right to free speech, and I would kindly remove myself from this community.

Pagan
07-19-2007, 06:31 PM
So it should especially be no problem for people who don't believe in the christian god to say the phrase.

They wouldn't be referring to the christian god in any sense of the phrase if they don't believe in that particular god anyways, because in order to refer to it that way(the way people are taking it to where they are offended), they'd have to admit your god exists. Right?
Bingo!

That is exactly correct! EVERY religion has a God, even Wicca....so saying "God damn it" is in direct relation to WHO is saying it. If I say it, Christians shouldn't be offended because - much as they'll never admit it - YOUR GOD AIN'T THE ONLY ONE!

So as I said earllier....lighten up. I'm not using YOUR God's name in vain, I'm using my own. :wink:

Mike13
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Bingo!

That is exactly correct! EVERY religion has a God, even Wicca....so saying "God damn it" is in direct relation to WHO is saying it. If I say it, Christians shouldn't be offended because - much as they'll never admit it - YOUR GOD AIN'T THE ONLY ONE!

So as I said earllier....lighten up. I'm not using YOUR God's name in vain, I'm using my own. :wink:

I thought you people had a Godess

Quelonio
07-19-2007, 07:23 PM

and i heard in another thread that she quite cute...

Celtkin
07-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I said this in a thread today, and a poster pm'd me saying even though he wasn't a mod, he would like it if I didn't say that anymore...

What is so bad about this statement? Is it insulting to "god"? Does it demean "him"? I personally don't see a problem with it. I would never insult someone else's beliefs..

Also, is it against the TOS to say this?

No, it is not against the TOS. We don't protect God or Mohammed or the Goddess as they are not members here. I will grant you, a term can be rude and insensitive to Christians / Muslims / (name a faith) when you use derogatory terms to describe or discuss an individual faith. If a member lowers themselves to that level, it just clearly demonstrates their lack of respect for diversity and/or endowed with a limited verbal range.

We don't allow attacks against other members. We also do not allow racist or sexist remarks and do so because every member here is of some sex or race. Not everyone here is of some religion or faith.

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 08:35 PM

One, it isnt insulting to all Christians. Second, comparing it to the n word is one of the most ridiculous and stupid things I've read on the boards in awhile. Well, since atleast yesterday when I went into the zoo for a moment but it's still pretty dumb.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 08:42 PM
No, it is not against the TOS. We don't protect God or Mohammed or the Goddess as they are not members here. I will grant you, a term can be rude and insensitive to Christians / Muslims / (name a faith) when you use derogatory terms to describe or discuss an individual faith. If a member lowers themselves to that level, it just clearly demonstrates their lack of respect for diversity and/or a limited verbal range.

We don't allow attacks against other members. We also do not allow racist or sexist remarks and do so because every member here is of some sex or race.You aren't suggesting that something I have said has fit this criteria are you? I don't think so, but just want to be clear...Anything I have said with regards to God in this thread was merely to help illustrate my points.

miami#1
07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
how many "christians" ever stepped into the ladies lounge?

Celtkin
07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
You aren't suggesting that something I have said has fit this criteria are you? I don't think so, but just want to be clear...Anything I have said with regards to God in this thread was merely to help illustrate my points.

I was defending your right to use a insulting term but not condoning it.... I understood your intent. :wink:

Celtkin
07-19-2007, 08:47 PM

How does your comment add to this discussion? :lol:

Stitches
07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
How does your comment add to this discussion? :lol:

Coveting a neighbor's wife?

Celtkin
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Coveting a neighbor's wife?
:worthless:

Den54
07-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Real christians don't go into the ladies lounge.:tongue:

LouPhinFan
07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
So just saying God is using his name in vain? See, this stuff gets so silly.

Its about what your intent is and what's in your heart. Like I said, only God can judge your true intent and what's in your heart, so I'll leave that up to him.

LouPhinFan
07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Real christians don't go into the ladies lounge.:tongue:

Hey, everyone has their weaknesses. I can neither confirm nor deny that I have seen that area of Finheaven. I can confirm, however, that when it comes to certain areas of this board, Pagan makes the best posts. That's all I'm sayin'...:wink:

Nobody's perfect...

Dolfan984
07-19-2007, 09:09 PM

I understand what you're saying, but there is a HUGE difference between that word and that phrase.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I was defending your right to use a insulting term but not condoning it.... I understood your intent. :wink:Does that mean you think saying "God damn it" falls into the category of "it just clearly demonstrates their lack of respect for diversity and/or endowed with a limited verbal range."?

Because that is not my intention at all. I just don't understand how that is disrespectful, insulting, offensive, derogatory, or any of the above. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it is disrespectful to God and/or Christians.

I would never knowingly disrespect a religion or a culture based on their beliefs. And I didn't intentionally say it just to get a rise out of some Christians. And if I were to be convinced that for some good reason it is an insulting statement to make, I would try not to use it anymore. I just dont think that will happen.

My father in law is a Christian Pastor, and I was raised Catholic, so the question has come up before. The only answers I have ever gotten to the question in the past are, "You cant use Gods name in vain" and "It says it in the bible". To me that is not using his name in vain though...

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:14 PM
No, it is not against the TOS. We don't protect God or Mohammed or the Goddess as they are not members here. I will grant you, a term can be rude and insensitive to Christians / Muslims / (name a faith) when you use derogatory terms to describe or discuss an individual faith. If a member lowers themselves to that level, it just clearly demonstrates their lack of respect for diversity and/or endowed with a limited verbal range.

We don't allow attacks against other members. We also do not allow racist or sexist remarks and do so because every member here is of some sex or race. Not everyone here is of some religion or faith.I doubt any of our mom's are members. Does that make them fair game ? It seems like what you are saying is it's okay to talk about someone so long as they aren't here to defend themselves. :err:

Dolphin39
07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
One, it isnt insulting to all Christians. Second, comparing it to the n word is one of the most ridiculous and stupid things I've read on the boards in awhile. Well, since atleast yesterday when I went into the zoo for a moment but it's still pretty dumb.

This comment from you doesn't surprise me. :(

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:21 PM
One, it isnt insulting to all Christians. Second, comparing it to the n word is one of the most ridiculous and stupid things I've read on the boards in awhile. Well, since atleast yesterday when I went into the zoo for a moment but it's still pretty dumb. Usually, this is the case, when we don't understand something. We ridicule it. That's just human nature. I don't fault you for it necessarily.

It is insulting to many Christians. That should count for something. It's not something I freak out about, but it's something that people should refrain from as a respect to others who are offended.

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Christians on these boards insult all other sects/faiths and then want sympathy when they're insulted? Excuse me while I laugh.

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Usually, this is the case, when we don't understand something. We ridicule it. That's just human nature. I don't fault you for it necessarily.

It is insulting to many Christians. That should count for something. It's not something I freak out about, but it's something that people should refrain from as a respect to others who are offended. The word retarded was banned, why can't this phrase be.

You think it's anywhere near as insulting as the n word? Even if it is insulting to some Christians, which I dont deny, it doesnt suddenly put it on the same level as the n word. Look at it from societies perspective, how many people say god damnit with out a second thought and really no one has a problem with it? How many people say the n word with out a second thought or with out anyone calling them on it? There are degrees to all things, insults included, comparing the levels is ridiculous. It isnt that I dont understand, it's that I can see the obvious.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I doubt any of our mom's are members. Does that make them fair game ? It seems like what you are saying is it's okay to talk about someone so long as they aren't here to defend themselves. :err:Going down that road would mean the word "god" would have to be banned all together. After all, the context in which the name is used would almost be entirely up to interpretation...

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
You think it's anywhere near as insulting as the n word? Even if it is insulting to some Christians, which I dont deny, it doesnt suddenly put it on the same level as the n word. Look at it from societies perspective, how many people say god damnit with out a second thought are really no one has a problem with it? How many people say the n word with out a second thought or with out anyone calling them on it? There are degrees to all things, insults included, comparing the levels is ridiculous. It isnt that I dont understand, it's that I can see the obvious.Probably more insulting to some people. Less to others. And no....you apparently don't understand. I doesn't pertain to you, so you don't care. Not suprising.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Usually, this is the case, when we don't understand something. We ridicule it. That's just human nature. I don't fault you for it necessarily.

It is insulting to many Christians. That should count for something. It's not something I freak out about, but it's something that people should refrain from as a respect to others who are offended.You are telling me you are directly insulted by this phrase, yet cant even give a legitimate reason as to why it is offensive...

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Probably more insulting to some people. Less to others. And no....you apparently don't understand. I doesn't pertain to you, so you don't care. Not suprising.

Thanks for letting me know I dont care, I hadnt made up my mind yet but since you can read it that was a real help.

byroan
07-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I am not a christian, I am not bound to follow any commandment and I will say god damn it how many times I want because it is not forbiden by Budhism. And if the mods made that phrase ilegal on this forums I would take it as supressing my right to free speech, and I would kindly remove myself from this community.

You don't have a right to free speech on a message board.:lol:

Anyways, this thread really grabbed my attention. A few months ago, I had a co-worker who got extremely pissed when I said God damn it near him. Not everyone believes in God.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:32 PM
You are telling me you are directly insulted by this phrase, yet cant even give a legitimate reason as to why it is offensive...Did you even read the post you quoted ? I particularly said that it's not something I freak out over.

Why is it offensive ? Because most Christians believe that you should not say God, and then curse. It is often perceived as cursing God.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for letting me know I dont care, I hadnt made up my mind yet but since you can read it that was a real help.

No problem. I obviously read you well.

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
No problem. I obviously read you well.

You and my mom...I'm like an open book. :tongue:

Dolphin39
07-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Did you even read the post you quoted ? I particularly said that it's not something I freak out over.

Why is it offensive ? Because most Christians believe that you should not say God, and then curse. It is often perceived as cursing God.

They know, its been explained why this is offensive to Christians. They simply choose to be insulting/rude anyway. :(

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Did you even read the post you quoted ? I particularly said that it's not something I freak out over.

Yeah, I read your post. You said you think saying "God damn it" should be banned. I would say you find it pretty offensive if you want it banned form a message board...

So it is offensive because you are saying it with a curse word? That is actually the most logical reason anyone has said yet. Unfortunately, I don't view damn as a curse word, nor do a large part of the population I would venture. That is further illustrated here where you cant even type politically correct words to describe genitalia, yet damn is an ok word to use..

Is "God dang it" ok then? Because I have also been told not say that either...

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
They know, its been explained why this is offensive to Christians. They simply choose to be insulting/rude anyway. :(You're right. What's really sad is that every thread any more seems to be aimed at attacking Christianity in some way (or at provoking an argument against Christians), and then say we are out here dogging their beliefs. :err:

Den54
07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
They know, its been explained why this is offensive to Christians. They simply choose to be insulting/rude anyway. :(

Yeah well I find your views of non chirstians to be insulting and rude.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
They know, its been explained why this is offensive to Christians. They simply choose to be insulting/rude anyway. :(To me this post is the most insulting thing said in the entire thread.

Who are you to say what I or someone else knows, and whether we are "simply choosing to be rude/insulting"?

Your explanation as to why it is insulting was meaningless. You say that using Gods name is vain shouldn't be done, yet don't explain how this fits that category. You say gods name shouldn't be used to damn someone, yet I would say in 99% of the cases where it is used, no one is damning anyone to hell.

I try to have a decent discussion about something, with an open mind to learn, and you insult me and everyone else who disagrees with you...

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
You're right. What's really sad is that every thread any more seems to be aimed at attacking Christianity in some way (or at provoking an argument against Christians), and then say we are out here dogging their beliefs. :err:See, this is why I don't try to have religious discussions. If someone doesn't agree with Christians, you attack them, or accuse them of attacking Christians...Have you considered that maybe some people need a little more explanation then, "the bible says it" or "my pastor told me" to be convinced of something...

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:53 PM
To me this post is the most insulting thing said in the entire thread.

Who are you to say what I or someone else knows, and whether we are "simply choosing to be rude/insulting"?

Your explanation as to why it is insulting was meaningless. You say that using Gods name is vain shouldn't be done, yet don't explain how this fits that category. You say gods name shouldn't be used to damn someone, yet I would say in 99% of the cases where it is used, no one is damning anyone to hell.

I try to have a decent discussion about something, with an open mind to learn, and you insult me and everyone else who disagrees with you... Uh... who's insulting who ? Funny.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 09:59 PM
See, this is why I don't try to have religious discussions. If someone doesn't agree with Christians, you attack them, or accuse them of attacking Christians...Have you considered that maybe some people need a little more explanation then, "the bible says it" or "my pastor told me" to be convinced of something...
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I do ask that you respect those who are offended by the topic phrase. Something that you've made blatantly obvious that you have no intent on doing. Someone pm's you, asking you to refrain from saying it, and you feel compelled to start a thread on it ? How disrespectful is that ? Grow up man.

bullseyeguy
07-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I do ask that you respect those who are offended by the topic phrase. Something that you've made blatantly obvious that you have no intent on doing. Someone pm's you, asking you to refrain from saying it, and you feel compelled to start a thread on it ? How disrespectful is that ? Grow up man.Wow, it appears as though you see things in one light, and don't seem to be open to other views at all...

I started this thread to find a reason as to why it is offensive, and to stimulate a discussion. I didn't out the guy who PM'd me, he chose to do that himself. Judging by how many responded with different opinions, I would say the discussion had some validity...

Apparently you know how I think though, and feel the need to directly insult me. So good job with that. Good job spreading tolerance, and love. Im sure your god would be proud...

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 10:06 PM
You're right. What's really sad is that every thread any more seems to be aimed at attacking Christianity in some way (or at provoking an argument against Christians), and then say we are out here dogging their beliefs. :err:

Read the Catholicism thread, then get back to me. I didnt see any Christians standing up and saying respect others beliefs or please dont say those things because I know they're insulting to others.

Insulting against Christianity and it's please respect my view. Insulting against Catholicism and it's silence or agreement. (Not saying you but others who posted in that thread or made similar comments in the past)

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow, it appears as though you see things in one light, and don't seem to be open to other views at all...

I started this thread to find a reason as to why it is offensive, and to stimulate a discussion. I didn't out the guy who PM'd me, he chose to do that himself. Judging by how many responded with different opinions, I would say the discussion had some validity...

Apparently you know how I think though, and feel the need to directly insult me. So good job with that. Good job spreading tolerance, and love. Im sure your god would be proud...Wow. You sure have a way of fabricating things in that head of yours.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Read the Catholicism thread, then get back to me. I didnt see any Christians standing up and saying respect others beliefs or please dont say those things because I know they're insulting to others.

Insulting against Christianity and it's please respect my view. Insulting against Catholicism and it's silence or agreement. (Not saying you but others who posted in that thread)I'm not Catholic. I don't think I even read that thread. I'd have to look back to see what (which one) you are talking about.Assuming I didn't join in that thread.... I would say in all fairness, that you can't use a thread against me that I had no part in.

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not Catholic. I don't think I even read that thread. I'd have to look back to see what (which one) you are talking about.Assuming I didn't join in that thread.... I would say in all fairness, that you can't use a thread against me that I had no part in.

You had no part in it, and I'm not using it against you. Just letting you know where I'm coming from and why I dont really care all that much if certainposters are insulted.

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I doubt any of our mom's are members. Does that make them fair game ? It seems like what you are saying is it's okay to talk about someone so long as they aren't here to defend themselves. :err:

:rolleyes:

To many people here one of the someone's you're referring to doesn't exist, so of course they couldn't be here to defend themselves.

Not to mention if your god was so great and wonderful(as I'm sure you believe he/it is), why would he need to defend himself? He's omnipotent and omniscient according to some people, so what is there to even defend? He's perfect remember, so he can easily withstand any attack(whether he is here or not).

Our mothers however surely aren't perfect, since no one is. So don't compare the two(some might take offense to it:wink:).

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:18 PM
:rolleyes:

To many people here one of the someone's you're referring to doesn't exist, so of course they couldn't be here to defend themselves.

Not to mention if your god was so great and wonderful(as I'm sure you believe he/it is), why would he need to defend himself? He's omnipotent and omniscient according to some people, so what is there to even defend? He's perfect remember, so he can easily withstand any attack(whether he is here or not).

Our mothers however surely aren't perfect, since no one is. So don't compare the two(some might take offense to it:wink:).How long did that take you to think that up ? :rolleyes:

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:20 PM
How long did that take you to think that up ? :rolleyes:

Less time than it took some peoples' god to create the Earth. :tongue:

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:21 PM
You had no part in it, and I'm not using it against you. Just letting you know where I'm coming from and why I dont really care all that much if certainposters are insulted.If everyone in this world began to feel that way (and I believe most are), this world would only get worse and worse. (As it is.)

finswin56
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Time to simmer down. This thread has become way to personal. You guys need to start posting on the subject and not directly to the poster. Consider this a warning for everyone. Next one gets points. These topic get heated enough on their own merits. They do not need personal attacks or references.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Less time than it took some peoples' god to create the Earth. :tongue: Honestly, I believe he is everyone's God. Whether we believe in him or not. Feel free to have your own beliefs.

DeathStar
07-19-2007, 10:25 PM
How long did that take you to think that up ? :rolleyes:

instead of using that tone, why not counter what he is saying and add to the discussion?

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Back to topic. Many find it offensive, and for reasons of respect, one should refrain from it's use.

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
instead of using that tone, why not counter what he is saying and add to the discussion?
Because I felt it was a real stretch of an attempt to validate an offensive phrase.

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Back to topic. Many find it offensive, and for reasons of respect, one should refrain from it's use.

I don't really like women breast feeding in public, but no one is going to change that for me. Why should I change this, when I see no problem with it?

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't really like women breast feeding in public, but no one is going to change that for me. Why should I change this, when I see no problem with it? You should discuss it with her. I'd bet she'll put that boob away. :D

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:32 PM
You should discuss it with her. I'd bet she'll put that boob away. :D

I would bet they would be offended that I am trying to change something that they see no problem with and feel is well within their rights to do, which is strangely similar to something I recall discussing not too long ago. :wink:

Scrap
07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
I disagree. I think the embarrassment alone would cause her to put the boob away.

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I disagree. I think the embarrassment alone would cause her to put the boob away.

Agree to disagree on that then. :D

Dolphin39
07-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Guys, there's a very useful tool at our disposal that I'm now using. It is called the ignore list.

After some of the remarks in this thread I simply must. I've begun to add the names to my list. I highly suggest some of you do the same.

I do want to say thank you to those who feel the same way and are supportive. You will remain on my read list.

As for the others, my list is rapidly growing.......:(

Stitches
07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
If I'm on someone's ignore list can i still see them post?

Skeet84
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
If I'm on someone's ignore list can i still see them post?

I don't know? :confused:

DonShula84
07-19-2007, 11:11 PM
:woot: I made an ignore list

DeathStar
07-19-2007, 11:14 PM
:woot: I made an ignore list

Pagan
07-19-2007, 11:15 PM
We have a Goddess and a God.

Again Scrap....not everyone believes in the same God. If I say God damn something I'm talking about MY God. Why on earth should Christians be offended by that?

Not for anything, but that just shows massive conceit on the part of the Christians, immediately assuming that it's their God whenever someone says that.

It's also showing intolerance and lack of respect for other faiths (surprise, surprise!) to ask others who DON'T believe in your God to refrain from using a phrase that doesn't even pertain to him.

adamprez2003
07-19-2007, 11:34 PM
A priest and doctor were out golfing. The doctor gets up to take his first shot. He swings and misses the ball completely.

"God dammit, I missed," says the doctor.

The sky starts to darken a bit becoming overcast.

"Don't use the Lord God's name in vain," says the priest.

"I am sorry, Father," replies the doctor.

The doctor steps up again to tee off and misses the ball once again.

"God dammit, I missed," says the doctor.

The sky darkens even more and a low rumble resounds throughout the land.

"Don't use the Lord God's name in vain," says the priest.

"I am sorry, Father," replies the doctor.

Once again, the doctor tries to take a swing at the ball and completely misses. He throws his club to the ground and yells, "God dammit, I missed."

The heavens roared and the storm erupted, sending a lightning bolt down and straight into the priest, which struck him dead.

Then a booming voice arose from the sky and said, "Dammit, I missed."

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Wow. You sure have a way of fabricating things in that head of yours.How nice of you to offer up another insult instead of presenting answers to the questions I have asked...

So if I find smoking offensive, should no one smoke? If someone finds children laughing offensive, should I not take my kids to the park for fear of offending someone?

In the free country that we live in, it is up to the offended to avoid putting themselves in places where they might encounter an offense if they are not mature enough to ignore it. As long as this "offense" hurts no one, and doesn't impede a persons rights, everyone has a right to commit said "offense"...

On a public message board, a common phrase that doesnt hurt anyone has no place on a banned list. I dont go out of my way to say the phrase, but sometimes in conversation, it is said. I mean no harm by it, and anyone who has read my posts in this thread would understand that.

I am very turned away by the tone some of the "religous people" in here have brought on. I was trying to ask questions, and have a discussion, yet some here choose to point fingers, and hurl insults. Its sad really, I thought god loving christians were supposed to be understanding and compassionate people.

SKing29
07-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Although I find nothing offensive about this certain phrase, I don't really see why it wouldn't be banned, because it does offend people strongly. I mean if people are willing to put people on ignore lists just so they don't have to see them post this certain phrase, it obviously causes a lot of strife for them.

Plus if words for bodily functions or fornication are outlawed because they can offend (which I can't possibly see why the "s-word" is worse then "crap"), then this certain phrase should be outlawed as well. I see my right to free speech being constricted by not being able to say certain curse words on this board, so why not add a couple more offensive words to the list. I'd wager that words such as the "s-word" or the "f-bomb" would cause much less of a debate, because of being just words with no real implications. Obviously if words with no real implications are banned then words that have strong religious implications to some should be banned. We can obviously see that this certain phrase is much more controversial then your regular banned curse words, so why isn't it banned?

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Although I find nothing offensive about this certain phrase, I don't really see why it wouldn't be banned, because it does offend people strongly. I mean if people are willing to put people on ignore lists just so they don't have to see them post this certain phrase, it obviously causes a lot of strife for them.

Plus if words for bodily functions or fornication are outlawed because they can offend (which I can't possibly see why the "s-word" is worse then "crap"), then this certain phrase should be outlawed as well. I see my right to free speech being constricted by not being able to say certain curse words on this board, so why not add a couple more offensive words to the list. I'd wager that words such as the "s-word" or the "f-bomb" would cause much less of a debate, because of being just words with no real implications. Obviously if words with no real implications are banned then words that have strong religious implications to some should be banned. We can obviously see that this certain phrase is much more controversial then your regular banned curse words, so why isn't it banned?
I may be wrong, but the reason curse words are banned is so children arent reading them.
If a phrase that offends a small group of people were to be banned, where is the line to be drawn? How about "I would like to spank her" or "She makes me horny". Maybe we should ban all talk of drugs, since surely drug use is offensive to some...

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 02:32 AM
Interesting topic...

I was taught (as a child) that the phrase (God damn it or God damn this or that) is taboo for Biblically minded people because if you take the literal meaning of the phrase to heart, you are basically *telling* God to damn (i.e. forever destroy) something or someone and you are in many cases doing so out of anger (and probably without considering the consequences if God was actually to do your bidding). It would obviously be more appropriate to *ASK* God to damn the person or object rather than to command Him (j/k).

This is of course *related* to taking God's name in vain which basically means (as I understand it) to call upon Him when you don't really mean it or in an inappropriate context. For one thing, this can tend to have a kind of devaluing effect on phrases such as "oh my God". It's kind of like if I say I love my wife with all my heart and also say I love my sandwich with all my heart, and also say I love my toe nail clipper with all my heart. Overtime, it would mean less to say I love my "insert object or person here" with all my heart if I always use the same phrase for everything. If I told my wife I loved her with all my heart, she might respond with, "you mean you love me as much as your toe nail clipper! Wow!" But if this phrase is reserved for only my wife or the things that I most profoundly appreciate, it would tend to retain more significance over time. Since religions such as Christianity place God at the top of a believer's priority list, as the Creator of the Universe and everything in it, and therefore as one to be reverenced and worshipped, it is considered inappropriate to take God's name in vain (for example, "oh my God, did you see her butt...or God damn the Jets") because to do so essentially takes what is considered to be Holy (God) and places it with the common (Which is an example of irreverence). This obviously only has significance to those who value God above all other things or at least strive to do so.

Personally, I don't like to hear these phrases because I don't want it in my head. It's not because I'm insulted or something. It's just that I have noticed that when I am around people that swear all the time, I have a greater tendency to have swear words/phrases come to mind when something goes wrong than when I am not around people who swear a lot. It's just how my brain works. I don't want to use or even think that kind of language, so I would prefer it if people would keep that kind of language to themselves. Obviously I've heard all the bad words before and so they are recorded in my head, but like so many things, cursing (even mental cursing) is habit forming and it's a habbit I choose not to embrace. However, obviously it's a free country and this is a diverse message board and so I don't think I can expect (and certainly not compel) others to feel the same way about these things as I do. Nor do I expect others to behave or speak the way I'd like.

Anyway, just my two cents.

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Interesting topic...

I was taught (as a child) that the phrase (God damn it or God damn this or that) is taboo for Biblically minded people because if you take the literal meaning of the phrase to heart, you are basically *telling* God to damn (i.e. forever destroy) something or someone and you are in many cases doing so out of anger (and probably without considering the consequences if God was actually to do your bidding). It would obviously be more appropriate to *ASK* God to damn the person or object rather than to command Him (j/k).

This is of course *related* to taking God's name in vain which basically means (as I understand it) to call upon Him when you don't really mean it or in an inappropriate context. For one thing, this can tend to have a kind of devaluing effect on phrases such as "oh my God". It's kind of like if I say I love my wife with all my heart and also say I love my sandwich with all my heart, and also say I love my toe nail clipper with all my heart. Overtime, it would mean less to say I love my "insert object or person here" with all my heart if I always use the same phrase for everything. If I told my wife I loved her with all my heart, she might respond with, "you mean you love me as much as your toe nail clipper! Wow!" But if this phrase is reserved for only my wife or the things that I most profoundly appreciate, it would tend to retain more significance over time. Since religions such as Christianity place God at the top of a believer's priority list, as the Creator of the Universe and everything in it, and therefore as one to be reverenced and worshipped, it is considered inappropriate to take God's name in vain (for example, "oh my God, did you see her butt...or God damn the Jets") because to do so essentially takes what is considered to be Holy (God) and places it with the common (Which is an example of irreverence). This obviously only has significance to those who value God above all other things or at least strive to do so.

Personally, I don't like to hear these phrases because I don't want it in my head. It's not because I'm insulted or something. It's just that I have noticed that when I am around people that swear all the time, I have a greater tendency to have swear words/phrases come to mind when something goes wrong than when I am not around people who swear a lot. It's just how my brain works. I don't want to use or even think that kind of language, so I would prefer it if people would keep that kind of language to themselves. Obviously I've heard all the bad words before and so they are recorded in my head, but like so many things, cursing (even mental cursing) is habit forming and it's a habbit I choose not to embrace. However, obviously it's a free country and this is a diverse message board and so I don't think I can expect (and certainly not compel) others to feel the same way about these things as I do. Nor do I expect others to behave or speak the way I'd like.

Anyway, just my two cents.Thank you very much for this post.

This is the first time that I have actually understood why people dont like the phrase. I still dont understand how one could be directly offended when someone with opposing religous beliefs says it, but maybe I am too insensitive for that...

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Thank you very much for this post.

This is the first time that I have actually understood why people dont like the phrase. I still dont understand how one could be directly offended when someone with opposing religous beliefs says it, but maybe I am too insensitive for that...
No worries... Sorry it's taking me a while to respond, but I've been reading other threads and just got back to this one.

That is a hard thing to understand/explain (the bold part above). I guess, it's kind of like this. I am humbled and moved when I think about what *I believe* to be the truth about God as is revealed in Scripture. Because of what I believe about God, and what I have experienced in my own life, I view and feel about God in a similar manner as to how I view and feel about a dear friend or family member. Like many others, I experience love for the Lord and that love comes with a heavy dose of respect and awe. When someone shows disrespect to a loved one, any loved one, it is natural to become offended by this. To some people, it might be offensive if everytime someone stubbed their toe, or bumped their head they yelled out "Don Shula" or "Buddha" or the hearer's mother's name, instead of "Jesus Christ". To others, this might be pretty humorous. It probably just depends on how you feel about the person being named and used as a swear word. To Christians, it is disrespectful to take God's name in vain and use it as an expletive, and so it can be offensive to them to hear others doing so whether the speaker is a Christian or not.

Anyway, I hope that helps explain the reaction that many people experience to certain common phrases that would seem to be quite innocuous to others. But obviously, that's just my understanding and I have my own way of dealing with it.

DonShula84
07-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey Hans long time no see. How you been?

Celtkin
07-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Does that mean you think saying "God damn it" falls into the category of "it just clearly demonstrates their lack of respect for diversity and/or endowed with a limited verbal range."?

Because that is not my intention at all. I just don't understand how that is disrespectful, insulting, offensive, derogatory, or any of the above. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how it is disrespectful to God and/or Christians.

I would never knowingly disrespect a religion or a culture based on their beliefs. And I didn't intentionally say it just to get a rise out of some Christians. And if I were to be convinced that for some good reason it is an insulting statement to make, I would try not to use it anymore. I just dont think that will happen.

My father in law is a Christian Pastor, and I was raised Catholic, so the question has come up before. The only answers I have ever gotten to the question in the past are, "You cant use Gods name in vain" and "It says it in the bible". To me that is not using his name in vain though...

Yes, that is what I meant. If you don't believe me, look at some of the comments from people offended by the phrase. As I mentioned earlier, I understand your intent but the phrase is still offensive to many people.

I am not pointing a finger at you. You were asking a question in your intial post and not using the phrase in the manner that was intended to offend, IMO.

Den54
07-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Guys, there's a very useful tool at our disposal that I'm now using. It is called the ignore list.

After some of the remarks in this thread I simply must. I've begun to add the names to my list. I highly suggest some of you do the same.

I do want to say thank you to those who feel the same way and are supportive. You will remain on my read list.

As for the others, my list is rapidly growing.......:(

Does your list have a title?:sidelol:

Scrap
07-20-2007, 06:36 AM
How nice of you to offer up another insult instead of presenting answers to the questions I have asked...

So if I find smoking offensive, should no one smoke? If someone finds children laughing offensive, should I not take my kids to the park for fear of offending someone?

In the free country that we live in, it is up to the offended to avoid putting themselves in places where they might encounter an offense if they are not mature enough to ignore it. As long as this "offense" hurts no one, and doesn't impede a persons rights, everyone has a right to commit said "offense"...

On a public message board, a common phrase that doesnt hurt anyone has no place on a banned list. I dont go out of my way to say the phrase, but sometimes in conversation, it is said. I mean no harm by it, and anyone who has read my posts in this thread would understand that.

I am very turned away by the tone some of the "religous people" in here have brought on. I was trying to ask questions, and have a discussion, yet some here choose to point fingers, and hurl insults. Its sad really, I thought god loving christians were supposed to be understanding and compassionate people.You are really reaching for something to attack us on again again, aren't you ?

Smoking ? As a non-smoker, I find smoking in my presence a bit annoying, and there are places that smoking is in fact banned. I really don't get your point on that one.

How nice of you to offer up another insult instead of presenting answers to the questions I have asked...

Sensitive, are we ? It really wasn't even what I'd consider an insult.....more of an observation. Imagine how much worse it would be if I insulted "your God". Never mind. You can't understand that. Funny, if you feel insulted, perhaps I could make 10 posts like this directed towards you each day. After all, my intent is not to offend, so it should be alright, right? What's it matter what your perception of my post is ? See my point yet ?

You say that you are "very turned away by the tone some of the "religous people" in here have brought on", yet you seem to fail to realize that you start a thread about something that offended someone. It seems like you took every opportunity to use that phrase to irritate the person who asked you to refrain from it. Classy. Real classy.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 06:46 AM
Does your list have a title?:sidelol:What makes you think he can read this post ? :err:

Pagan
07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
To some people, it might be offensive if everytime someone stubbed their toe, or bumped their head they yelled out "Don Shula" or "Buddha" or the hearer's mother's name, instead of "Jesus Christ". To others, this might be pretty humorous. It probably just depends on how you feel about the person being named and used as a swear word. To Christians, it is disrespectful to take God's name in vain and use it as an expletive, and so it can be offensive to them to hear others doing so whether the speaker is a Christian or not.
Now there's something I'd understand. If someone yelled "Jesus Christ!" then yes, I can see that as being annoying to Christians.

However - to address the bold part - if a NON-Christian says "God damn it!", they are taking their own God's name in vain, and it should in NO way annoy or offend a Christian.

It's truly being narrow minded and self-centered (and I don't mean you personally Hans) to immediately assume it's your God. Also, to ask people not to say it, or to chastise someone for saying it, is yet another example of trying to force one's beliefs on others who don't share them.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Now there's something I'd understand. If someone yelled "Jesus Christ!" then yes, I can see that as being annoying to Christians.

However - to address the bold part - if a NON-Christian says "God damn it!", they are taking their own God's name in vain, and it should in NO way annoy or offend a Christian.

It's truly being narrow minded and self-centered (and I don't mean you personally Hans) to immediately assume it's your God. Also, to ask people not to say it, or to chastise someone for saying it, is yet another example of trying to force one's beliefs on others who don't share them. So it's not wrong for you to take your own God's name in vain ? :rolleyes: You really don't feel that "your God" deserves more respect that that ? You must not think very highly of this God of yours, IMO.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 07:09 AM
So it's not wrong for you to take your own God's name in vain ? :rolleyes: You really don't feel that "your God" deserves more respect that that ? You must not think very highly of this God of yours, IMO.
No, what I'm saying - which you're missing here by a country mile - is that if I did choose to say that it's MY choice, and shouldn't be something that's decided by someone who doesn't share my beliefs.

I think VERY highly of "this God of mine". :rolleyes:

And IMO, calling him "this God of yours" is pretty ****ing condescending.

Den54
07-20-2007, 07:09 AM
What makes you think he can read this post ? :err:

Surely I didn't make the list.
I'm too loveable.:wink:

Pagan
07-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Surely I didn't make the list.
I'm too loveable.:wink:
Ya think I'm entry #1? :tongue:

Den54
07-20-2007, 07:15 AM

You are on my list buddy.:D

Scrap
07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
No, what I'm saying - which you're missing here by a country mile - is that if I did choose to say that it's MY choice, and shouldn't be something that's decided by someone who doesn't share my beliefs.

I think VERY highly of "this God of mine". :rolleyes:

And IMO, calling him "this God of yours" is pretty ****ing condescending.Well, are you saying that your God is my God ? If so, pot meet kettle.

No, what I'm saying - which you're missing here by a country mile - is that if I did choose to say that it's MY choice, and shouldn't be something that's decided by someone who doesn't share my beliefs. Ditto. Just use this same quote to defend Christians, and you have our point. Understand now ?

Scrap
07-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm really glad you made that post Pagan. Everything you say can be used against you. You continuously say Christians say that their God is the only god, and that it irritates you. Yet when I say "your God" you get offended like there are no others. Off to work now.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Well, are you saying that your God is my God ? If so, pot meet kettle.
Geez...I hate having to simplify English when people don't understand it. :shakeno:

Of COURSE I'm not saying that. I never have. I've said many times, and it's WELL documented in these forums, that I believe there are more than just one diety.

What I meant was that you called him "this God of yours" in a belittling manner. If you can't understand that then we have no more to say to each other on this matter.

Ditto. Just use this same quote to defend Christians, and you have our point. Understand now ?
In a word, bull****. I don't give a rat's *** if a Christian says "God damn it." So no, I do NOT understand. Have you seen ONE other person in this thread besides a Christian annoyed at that phrase? :wink:

I'm really glad you made that post Pagan. Everything you say can be used against you. You continuously say Christians say that their God is the only god, and that it irritates you. Yet when I say "your God" you get offended like there are no others. Off to work now.
Read what I said above Scrap. This was a nice try to turn something against me. However, what you said makes no sense whatsoever. Yet again, it's well documented that I don't think my God or Goddess is the only one, so you swung at that high fastball and caught nothing but air.

Back to the main topic....

Bottom line is that it's a phrase. I could understand if someone yelled "**** Jesus!" However, "God damn it" has become a figure of speech, and shouldn't be taken literally.

Hell, I dropped something awhile ago and yelled "Aw **** me in the ***!"

Does that mean I'm waiting for someone to mount me like Gina Lynn? :lol:

Den54
07-20-2007, 07:31 AM

I'm trying to remember a time that Pagan said his God or Goddess was the only one?

Den54
07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Geez...I hate having to simplify English when people don't understand it. :shakeno:

Of COURSE I'm not saying that. I never have. I've said many times, and it's WELL documented in these forums, that I believe there are more than just one diety.

What I meant was that you called him "this God of yours" in a belittling manner. If you can't understand that then we have no more to say to each other on this matter.

In a word, bull****. I don't give a rat's *** if a Christian says "God damn it." So no, I do NOT understand. Have you seen ONE other person in this thread besides a Christian annoyed at that phrase? :wink:

Read what I said above Scrap. This was a nice try to turn something against me. However, what you said makes no sense whatsoever. Yet again, it's well documented that I don't think my God or Goddess is the only one, so you swung at that high fastball and caught nothing but air.

Back to the main topic....

Bottom line is that it's a phrase. I could understand if someone yelled "**** Jesus!" However, "God damn it" has become a figure of speech, and shouldn't be taken literally.

Hell, I dropped something awhile ago and yelled "Aw **** me in the ***!"

Does that mean I'm waiting for someone to mount me like Gina Lynn? :lol:

Agreed.
I believe that's Ginger Lynn.:)

Firesole
07-20-2007, 08:49 AM

We don't allow attacks against other members. We also do not allow racist or sexist remarks and do so because every member here is of some sex or race. Not everyone here is of some religion or faith.

AMEN to that!

arsenal
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
the things that offend these days... it seems you have to bite your tongue on everything because there is SOMEONE in the world who will find offense to everything...

the commandment is "dont use gods name in vain"... not "get offended when others use gods name in vain", or "make sure no one else uses gods name in vain"... the problem with certain religious people is they are too worried about what the next man is doing, trying to force the next man to believe and act like they believe and act...

no one is telling you to say god damn it, but you are trying to make others NOT say it, because you have a commandment that tells YOU to not say gods name in vain? cmon you can believe whatever you like, but dont try to force others to do the same

Dolphin39
07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
the things that offend these days... it seems you have to bite your tongue on everything because there is SOMEONE in the world who will find offense to everything...

the commandment is "dont use gods name in vain"... not "get offended when others use gods name in vain", or "make sure no one else uses gods name in vain"... the problem with certain religious people is they are too worried about what the next man is doing, trying to force the next man to believe and act like they believe and act...

no one is telling you to say god damn it, but you are trying to make others NOT say it, because you have a commandment that tells YOU to not say gods name in vain? cmon you can believe whatever you like, but dont try to force others to do the same

How would you like it if someone used your father's name in a way that was insulting to you? You wouldn't! It's that simple. :(

Den54
07-20-2007, 09:12 AM

I'm afraid that will go over most peoples head.
It's that simple.:(

Stitches
07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
How would you like it if someone used your father's name in a way that was insulting to you? You wouldn't! It's that simple. :(

Well that person would have to be talking about my dad for me to get offended, but no one here when they say god dammit is intending it to be referenced to your god.

Firesole
07-20-2007, 09:18 AM

If I heard someone say Larry Damn you....I think I'd laugh in their face.

Seriously, you should let people live their own lives instead of always trying to tell them how to live or tell them what to believe in. That's the real issue here.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't know why I bother replying to this guy, because most assuredly I'm on his ignore list....but why can't you get it through your thick skull that NOT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOUR GOD?

Anyone else hearing Carly Simon singing "You're So Vain"? :shakeno:

Agreed.
I believe that's Ginger Lynn.:)
Ginger's old school bro...and I love her, but you need to look up Gina. Hoo boy. :D

:spit::sidelol:

Seriously, you should let people live their own lives instead of always trying to tell them how to live or tell them what to believe in. That's the real issue here.
Bravo bro, well said.

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 10:10 AM

:clap:

Kenyan
07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Phrases like 'God damn...', 'Go to hell', etc. have just become a part of the collective vocabulary at this point. They've lost their power because they've been used so often, for so long. I know plenty of people who don't necessarily believe in God that use hell, damn, even God. Like the OP said, gas prices don't literally suck. I guess there's a downside to having a predominantly Christian society. You get to have a federally funded Christmas celebration at the White House, but your lord's name becomes devalued from overuse.

arsenal
07-20-2007, 10:40 AM

well i am reasonable about what i consider insulting... just saying my fathers name would not insult me...

i could say that smilie face you used is insulting... i can be insulted by the letter O because it looks like a large anus... i mean anyone can say anything is insulting, but you would hope it would be something reasonable or logical to it...

me saying to myself god damn it is in no way an attack on you, your god, your beliefs or anything...

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
me saying to myself god damn it is in no way an attack on you, your god, your beliefs or anything...

Exactly.
In fact, if taken literally, it is, in effect asking "God" to damn "it"
whatever "it" may be.
How exactly is that insulting anything or anyone ... except for "it"?

Den54
07-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't know why I bother replying to this guy, because most assuredly I'm on his ignore list....but why can't you get it through your thick skull that NOT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOUR GOD?

Anyone else hearing Carly Simon singing "You're So Vain"? :shakeno:

Ginger's old school bro...and I love her, but you need to look up Gina. Hoo boy. :D

:spit::sidelol:

Bravo bro, well said.

What can I say?
I am old school. I like my porn on film with a cheesy storyline and women
who don't look prepubesent.:D

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 11:21 AM
We all know why "n" is offensive, and it is offensive directly to the people it is targeting...No one has really given a reason as to why "god damn" is offensive, and on top of that, it isn't targeting "God"...

To each his own, and yes it is offensive to me. Why you ask? Because every night I pray for this man to forgive me for my sins and protect my children, so yes, it does bother me to see his name used in vain. Now, dont get me twisted, I am by no means a bible thumper, I dont beleive alot of things preached in church, and further more I dont really now if everything "writtin in red" is really gods word, or not. But I do know there is a god. He has shown me time and time again he is real. And as for people of other faiths casting stones, its easy to tell me to lighten up about a matter you care little to nothing about. I dont judge Wiccans, I dont judge Muslims, Buhhdists, etc. All I was asking for was a little respect for my beleifs. And yes to me it is very similiar to calling someone the "n" word. If one black man heard you calling another black man that, he would be very upset. Same thing, except on a different level. And honestley Scrap is right in the long wrong your the one that has to answer to the big guy in the end. I will not apologize for asking you to respect my Lord. But I am not trying to control you in any way shape or form .

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
. And yes to me it is very similiar to calling someone the "n" word. If one black man heard you calling another black man that, he would be very upset. Same thing, except on a different level.

OK...so you're saying that if I call someone the "N" word.... that is just like me calling your God.... God?
So ...the word "God" is an insult to him? (or her?).
and explain to me... how saying God damn it ... is insulting God? I'm not saying "Damn you God" ... I'm wanting him to damn "it" ... right?

Dolphin39
07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
OK...so you're saying that if I call someone the "N" word.... that is just like me calling your God.... God?
So ...the word "God" is an insult to him? (or her?).
and explain to me... how saying God damn it ... is insulting God? I'm not saying "Damn you God" ... I'm wanting him to damn "it" ... right?

Whether you understand it or not, using God's name in vain is just as insulting to Christians as calling a person of color the "n" word.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Yep.

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
I still don't see how it compares... you seem to feel free to type the work God... regardless of context.... yet, you, me, and everyone else will "filter" the "N" word. Comparing the words God and "N" are apples and oranges... no matter what the context... the "N" word is a slur, and considered vulgar. To my knowledge, the word "God" does not carry that same stigma.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
And as for people of other faiths casting stones, its easy to tell me to lighten up about a matter you care little to nothing about. I dont judge Wiccans, I dont judge Muslims, Buhhdists, etc. All I was asking for was a little respect for my beleifs.
So let me get this straight. You ask for respect for YOUR beliefs, yet if people who do not worship YOUR God use THEIR God's name in vain you want them to stop because it offends YOU?

When are people going to accept the fact that their God is NOT the only one?

I'm not trying to be insulting here, but are Christians really that ****ing arrogant that they refuse to acknowledge that fact? Are they that ****ing self important that they insist that something that has NOTHING to do with them needs to be changed in order to protect THEIR feelings? Are they that ****ing STUPID that they can't see that when someone who is not Christian says "God damn it!", THEY ARE NOT REFERRING TO YOUR ****ING GOD?

Holy hell...sorry for the rant, but I've never seen so many dense people in such a small area. :shakeno:

greatwade
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
So let me get this straight. You ask for respect for YOUR beliefs, yet if people who do not worship YOUR God use THEIR God's name in vain you want them to stop because it offends YOU?

I'm not trying to be insulting here, but are Christians really that ****ing arrogant that they refuse to acknowledge that fact? Are they that ****ing self important that they insist that something that has NOTHING to do with them needs to be changed in order to protect THEIR feelings? Are they that ****ing STUPID that they can't see that when someone who is not Christian says "God damn it!", THEY ARE NOT REFERRING TO YOUR ****ING GOD?

Holy hell...sorry for the rant, but I've never seen so many dense people in such a small area. :shakeno:

gosh dern it, would you shut your pie hole, witch boy.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
gosh dern it, would you shut your pie hole, witch boy.
Listen here four-eyes...:tongue:

Kenyan
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I still don't see how it compares... you seem to feel free to type the work God... regardless of context.... yet, you, me, and everyone else will "filter" the "N" word. Comparing the words God and "N" are apples and oranges... no matter what the context... the "N" word is a slur, and considered vulgar. To my knowledge, the word "God" does not carry that same stigma.

I kind of understand where the anti-name-in-vain crowd is coming from. The word 'God' describes an entity whose name should only be used in a positive way. 'God bless you and keep you' sounds a lot more pleasant than 'God damn you.' It isn't a matter of WHO is being damned, it's a matter of using God's name in relation to their damning.

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I kind of understand where the anti-name-in-vain crowd is coming from. The word 'God' describes an entity whose name should only be used in a positive way. 'God bless you and keep you' sounds a lot more pleasant than 'God damn you.' It isn't a matter of WHO is being damned, it's a matter of using God's name in relation to their damning.

As Pagan most eloquently pointed out....
Who's God are you referring to?
What is your God's name?
To me..."God" is a title.... not a name.

Dolphin39
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
What is your God's name?

It doesn't matter what his name is if you don't know him. :(

Kenyan
07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
What is your God's name?

You'd have to ask someone who cares about that sort of thing. I was just trying to move the rhetoric along.

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 12:22 PM
It doesn't matter what his name is if you don't know him. :(

Who says I don't know My God(s)?
perhaps I don't know yours... but then... you don't know mine either, so I guess you get one of these :( from me....

greatwade
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
know him? mofo owes me $12

Pagan
07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Who says I don't know My God(s)?
perhaps I don't know yours... but then... you don't know mine either, so I guess you get one of these :( from me....
They can only comprehend their own God. Everyone else's is insignificant, don't you know that by now Wharf?

know him? mofo owes me $12

Talk about great timing...I had just finished posting my rant before and went outside to mow my lawn. I'm on my rider for about 15 minutes, when a white van pulls up on my street, two jackasses get out, walk onto my property without waiting for me to ask them to first, and try to hand me a pamphlet telling me that unless I accept Jesus I'm damned.

One "Well then looks like I'm damned" and one "now if you don't get off my property the lawn won't be the only thing cut down" later and I'm sitting there shaking my head. What balls on these men to just come walking onto my lawn while I'm sitting on a riding mower and try to proselytize. :shakeno:

Hey Phin....looks like they're going door to door now. :wink:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
[b]They can only comprehend their own God. Everyone else's is insignificant, don't you know that by now Wharf?

which is why I gave him this :(.

I feel sorry for those who haven't seen the true light.

sounds weird when "one of us" gets self-righteous ... doesn't it?

Pagan
07-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Makes me feel all dirty....oh wait....that's just dust from the lawn I finished mowing. :tongue:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Makes me feel all dirty....oh wait....that's just dust from the lawn I finished mowing. :tongue:

DeathStar
07-20-2007, 01:13 PM

watch out, you probably offended some people with this...

Dolphin39
07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
which is why I gave him this :(.

I feel sorry for those who haven't seen the true light.

There's no need to feel sorry for me. :shakeno:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
There's no need to feel sorry for me. :shakeno:

Ditto. but that was my point all along.

Firesole
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Like I said on page one:

I'm not sure it will lead to any education. Interesting as hell, but not educating.

Quelonio
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
They can only comprehend their own God. Everyone else's is insignificant, don't you know that by now Wharf?

Talk about great timing...I had just finished posting my rant before and went outside to mow my lawn. I'm on my rider for about 15 minutes, when a white van pulls up on my street, two jackasses get out, walk onto my property without waiting for me to ask them to first, and try to hand me a pamphlet telling me that unless I accept Jesus I'm damned.

One "Well then looks like I'm damned" and one "now if you don't get off my property the lawn won't be the only thing cut down" later and I'm sitting there shaking my head. What balls on these men to just come walking onto my lawn while I'm sitting on a riding mower and try to proselytize. :shakeno:

Hey Phin....looks like they're going door to door now. :wink:

I remember one time they came to my place and told me that they wanted to read my bible with me. To which I said, well I don't have a bible so that would be a little hard. I am a Buddhist.

She stopped for five minutes and then turned to me and said "well we all pray to the same god".

You should have heard the very surprised, very angry "No we don't!!!!" that came out of my mind there.

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 02:28 PM

This coming from a man that praises bushes?:err:

arsenal
07-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Whether you understand it or not, using God's name in vain is just as insulting to Christians as calling a person of color the "n" word.

calling a black person the n word is using a derogatory slur to describe them in a hateful manner...

me saying god damn it, i cant open this delicious refreshing beer... i am not calling you anything, im not calling your god anything, yes I am breaking one of the all powerful 10 commandments, but in no way is it directed to you or any christian around me...

me calling a black person the n word, is me degrading them... you getting insulted about me saying god damn it, is you getting angry that others are breaking a rule you need to adhere to...

there is a humongous difference between the 2 and i cant even believe it came up...

Quelonio
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
So it's not wrong for you to take your own God's name in vain ? :rolleyes: You really don't feel that "your God" deserves more respect that that ? You must not think very highly of this God of yours, IMO.

actually in my case it isn't. My God is not even the most important part of my religion. In a lot of ways he is just there, he did his job a long time ago and it is our turn to do ours.

So... I can use his name in whatever way I want to.

(and I mean if everyone and their mom feel that rubbing Maitreya's tummy is a lucky omen, reducing our prophet to a charm like a rabbits foot or a horseshoe, I feel that is way more offending than saying God damn. Hell if I had a Jesus statue and a group of people said that if you combed its hair it was for good luck, I am sure a lot of people would be jumping)

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
calling a black person the n word is using a derogatory slur to describe them in a hateful manner...

me saying god damn it, i cant open this delicious refreshing beer... i am not calling you anything, im not calling your god anything, yes I am breaking one of the all powerful 10 commandments, but in no way is it directed to you or any christian around me...

me calling a black person the n word, is me degrading them... you getting insulted about me saying god damn it, is you getting angry that others are breaking a rule you need to adhere to...

there is a humongous difference between the 2 and i cant even believe it came up...

There is a difference to you....not to us.

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM

and when have I ever said I had no respect for other peoples beliefs> cept maybe the last comment I made...

LtDan
07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
They'll get over it

arsenal
07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
There is a difference to you....not to us.

umm did you not read the entire thing before that sentence?

when saying god damn it im not directing anything towards you, your family, your god, your dog, or anything associated with you, or your family or your god or your dog or whoever...

when you call a black person the N word, you are directing hate AT THEM...

how can you not see the difference?

Dolphin39
07-20-2007, 02:55 PM
umm did you not read the entire thing before that sentence?

when saying god damn it im not directing anything towards you, your family, your god, your dog, or anything associated with you, or your family or your god or your dog or whoever...

when you call a black person the N word, you are directing hate AT THEM...

how can you not see the difference?

Oh be serious; use that word around a person of color and see if it doesn't offend them (whether or not it was directed toward them). It's the SAME thing!!!!!!!!!!

You're not being logical at all. :shakeno:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 02:56 PM

This coming from someone who believes that burning ones talk?

Quelonio
07-20-2007, 03:08 PM

:lol::lol:

We all end up believing funny things. We got this one that when Siddharta was born lotus flowers grew at every footstep.... I love that one.

Kenyan
07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh be serious; use that word around a person of color and see if it doesn't offend them (whether or not it was directed toward them). It's the SAME thing!!!!!!!!!!

You're not being logical at all. :shakeno:

Please don't feel like I'm singling you out, but does anyone out there, when talking to your significant other behind closed doors, ever use the phrase 'people of color'? I tend to doubt it. I'm not even sure what a 'person of color' is.

Quelonio
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Please don't feel like I'm singling you out, but does anyone out there, when talking to your significant other behind closed doors, ever use the phrase 'people of color'? I tend to doubt it. I'm not even sure what a 'person of color' is.

one of those dudes in lowe's that match the paint you are buying to any color you bring in?

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh be serious; use that word around a person of color and see if it doesn't offend them

That's his point ...and mine.

use the N word... it's offensive at ANY time.
Use the word God.
Is that offensive EVERY time it's uttered?

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
one of those dudes in lowe's that match the paint you are buying to any color you bring in?

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey Hans long time no see. How you been?
Hey coach! Everything is great. Just been trying to keep up with things. Looks pretty business as usual around here... :lol:

Pagan
07-20-2007, 03:51 PM

:spit: :sidelol:

Brilliant, Wharf! :clap:

As for your comment, Enforcer...all you've done is expose your ignorance as to what my faith is. I'd love to meet someone of the faith that praises bushes! Hey wait a minute! If I praise bushes....I....must....be....

A KNIGHT WHO SAYS.....NIIIIIII! Bring me a shrubbery! :lol:

and when have I ever said I had no respect for other peoples beliefs> cept maybe the last comment I made...
And I never said you did...intentionally. However, when you ask people to toe the line that YOU must toe, you are.

Not everyone believes in your God, not everyone cares. Don't expect them to follow the same rules you do. YOU chose your faith, not them.

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 03:57 PM

It's truly being narrow minded and self-centered (and I don't mean you personally Hans) to immediately assume it's your God. Also, to ask people not to say it, or to chastise someone for saying it, is yet another example of trying to force one's beliefs on others who don't share them.
I think it can be what you are saying, and certainly is in many cases. I'm not sure that is what the guy was trying to do though with his original PM. Maybe it was, I don't know. I didn't see the PM that was sent to the originator of this thread and so I don't know what tone was used or how the request was made in that instance, but I don't think it's wrong to privately ask someone if they wouldn't mind not using a phrase that is so personally offensive. Of course one must remember that it's a free country and this is a diverse message board and if a person decides to continue to do it anyway, well that should be the end of it IMHO. I personally wouldn't choose this battle since I don't expect people to care about my beliefs or feelings. When they do, I'm grateful, but I just don't expect it or ask for it. However, I do admit that I have asked some kids in the mall to stop dropping the F-bomb every other word in front of my children. I asked nicely and they stopped. If they would have continued, I would have simply gone somewhere else. I'm not a real tough guy, so I tend to choose my battles fairly carefully...:lol:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I I personally wouldn't choose this battle since I don't expect people to care about my beliefs or feelings. When they do, I'm grateful, but I just don't expect it or ask for it.

Thank you Hans for adding a respectful, classy response ...especially the above portion.... :wink:

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Thank you Hans for adding a respectful, classy response.... :wink:
:bighug:

Quelonio
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM

As for your comment, Enforcer...all you've done is expose your ignorance as to what my faith is. I'd love to meet someone of the faith that praises bushes! Hey wait a minute! If I praise bushes....I....must....be....

I can see the resemblence. I really can.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Holy hell...sorry for the rant, but I've never seen so many dense people in such a small area. :shakeno: So what you are saying is that your beliefs have to be right. :rolleyes: On the whole, I'd say it's another fine post to prove my point Pagan.

DonShula84
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM

I dont know, I might have given you a run for your money if he started the list during this thread :D

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I think it can be what you are saying, and certainly is in many cases. I'm not sure that is what the guy was trying to do though with his original PM. Maybe it was, I don't know. I didn't see the PM that was sent to the originator of this thread and so I don't know what tone was used or how the request was made in that instance, but I don't think it's wrong to privately ask someone if they wouldn't mind not using a phrase that is so personally offensive. Of course one must remember that it's a free country and this is a diverse message board and if a person decides to continue to do it anyway, well that should be the end of it IMHO. I personally wouldn't choose this battle since I don't expect people to care about my beliefs or feelings. When they do, I'm grateful, but I just don't expect it or ask for it. However, I do admit that I have asked some kids in the mall to stop dropping the F-bomb every other word in front of my children. I asked nicely and they stopped. If they would have continued, I would have simply gone somewhere else. I'm not a real tough guy, so I tend to choose my battles fairly carefully...:lol:You give Christianity a good name Hans. I have a lot of respect for the way you see and express things.

The reason I started this thread wasn't intended to polarize, or cause strife...And it wasn't as much about the PM that was sent to me, as it was wanting to know the reasoning behind some people getting so offended by what I deem you garden variety figure of speech...Enforcer handled the PM maturely, even though I don't agree with what he was saying, he was respectful about it. I thought the subject would lead to an interesting discussion, and hopefully enlighten me a bit. I was right on one account, and the other to an extent...I admit it has been awhile since I have gone to a church of any kind, and refrain from engaging in religious discussion for fear of intolerance by the ignorance of people who don't share my belief system...Unfortunately a couple of people in here really weakened my faith in Christianity as a whole. You on the other hand restored my belief that many are good and accepting people...

DonShula84
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM

It doesnt compare at all. Like I said before, it's completely ridiculous to think it does.

Kenyan
07-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Hypothetically, if there were no Science/Religion forum here and talk of religion was not against the TOS, what kind of response could I expect if I sent a PM saying, 'I don't share your beliefs so could you stop talking about Jesus or Buddha, or Mohammed, or your pagan goddess (equal opportunity, baby)?
I belong to a number of boards and, as is typical forum behavior, religion and politics really get people going. I can't even imagine asking someone to stop talking about either just because I might have especially fragile sensibilities.

DonShula84
07-20-2007, 04:48 PM

:sidelol: And you want other people to respect your beliefs. This is my point from earlier in the thread. Some Christians - respect no one's beliefs, but bend over backwards for mine :rolleyes:

WharfRat
07-20-2007, 04:55 PM
So what you are saying is that your beliefs have to be right. :rolleyes: On the whole, I'd say it's another fine post to prove my point Pagan.

No ... I don't think that he, I or anyone but perhaps you and one or two other "christians" have said that.

Another fine post to prove our points...thanks Scrap! :wink:

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 05:22 PM
So what you are saying is that your beliefs have to be right. :rolleyes: On the whole, I'd say it's another fine post to prove my point Pagan.I dont want to speak for Pagan, but I think I understand what he is saying...Let me make an analogy.

Lets just say your mother is a blond haired blue eyed woman named Kate Johnson...If I were to say I ****ed a blond haired blue eyed woman named Kate Johnson, it would be pretty silly of you to get offended by my saying this...I'm sure there are many Kate Johnson's in the world, and it would be very vain for you to assume that I was talking about your mother in this instance...The same hold true for Deity's it would be vain for you to assume one is speaking of the same god you worship just because they use the word "god"...

Lets not forget that god can be a common noun or a proper noun. And that is what Pagan has plainly said numerous times...

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
You give Christianity a good name Hans. I have a lot of respect for the way you see and express things.

The reason I started this thread wasn't intended to polarize, or cause strife...And it wasn't as much about the PM that was sent to me, as it was wanting to know the reasoning behind some people getting so offended by what I deem you garden variety figure of speech...Enforcer handled the PM maturely, even though I don't agree with what he was saying, he was respectful about it. I thought the subject would lead to an interesting discussion, and hopefully enlighten me a bit. I was right on one account, and the other to an extent...I admit it has been awhile since I have gone to a church of any kind, and refrain from engaging in religious discussion for fear of intolerance by the ignorance of people who don't share my belief system...Unfortunately a couple of people in here really weakened my faith in Christianity as a whole. You on the other hand restored my belief that many are good and accepting people...
Thanks for the kind words man. :) I like the question and I'm glad you asked it on the board. I think many people have been burned so many times before (on ALL sides) that it's hard to come into any thread without bringing in a whole lot of other baggage...which adds momentum to the emotional responses. Plus, we don't have the ability to hear each others tone or see each others body language or know everyone personally (though I feel strangely close to many posters in here even though I'm not not actively posting much anymore) so misunderstanding is commonplace. We're kind of like a giant disfuntional family.

bullseyeguy
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Also, the word god can be used as an interjection...Which I would say in the sense of a figure of speech, makes the most sense...

–interjection
10. (used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?

And then knowing the definition, and the difference between common nouns and proper nouns, is it fair to say that there is a significant difference between the uses of the phrases when the word god is capitalized and when it is not?

HansMojo
07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Also, the word god can be used as an interjection...Which I would say in the sense of a figure of speech, makes the most sense...

–interjection
10. (used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?

And then knowing the definition, and the difference between common nouns and proper nouns, is it fair to say that there is a significant difference between the uses of the phrases when the word god is capitalized and when it is not?
That is a great illustration of how the common use of the word (God) has changed it's meaning (or at the very least expanded it's meaning and use) in modern language (capitalized or not) to something less than sacred, and this is why I imagine the Commandment was originally given...to prevent this from happening among God's people. Even today, modern religious Jews assign great significance to the name of God (i.e. Yahweh is written YHWH) and even to the word God and will usually not even write it on paper.

Nice find Bullseye.

Pagan
07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you Hans for adding a respectful, classy response ...especially the above portion.... :wink:
Hans is one of the good ones. He's proven that from day one.

So what you are saying is that your beliefs have to be right. :rolleyes: On the whole, I'd say it's another fine post to prove my point Pagan.
You go right on believing that Scrap. I never said a THING about my beliefs in that post, but you go right on claiming "victory".

Whatever blows ya dress up, bro.

I dont want to speak for Pagan, but I think I understand what he is saying...Let me make an analogy.

Lets just say your mother is a blond haired blue eyed woman named Kate Johnson...If I were to say I ****ed a blond haired blue eyed woman named Kate Johnson, it would be pretty silly of you to get offended by my saying this...I'm sure there are many Kate Johnson's in the world, and it would be very vain for you to assume that I was talking about your mother in this instance...The same hold true for Deity's it would be vain for you to assume one is speaking of the same god you worship just because they use the word "god"...

Lets not forget that god can be a common noun or a proper noun. And that is what Pagan has plainly said numerous times...
Don't waste your breath Bullseye...apparently Scrap has developed this inner need to take everything I say completely out of context and somehow twist it to mean that his point has been proven. :rolleyes:

C'est la vie.

No ... I don't think that he, I or anyone but perhaps you and one or two other "christians" have said that.

Another fine post to prove our points...thanks Scrap! :wink:
Shhh...don't burst his bubble. :tongue:

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 09:22 PM

And I never said you did...intentionally. However, when you ask people to toe the line that YOU must toe, you are.

Not everyone believes in your God, not everyone cares. Don't expect them to follow the same rules you do. YOU chose your faith, not them.

And you know mine 100 percent? We are all ignorant to each others beliefs. And I NEVER NEVER asked anyone to toe my religion, nor beleive in MY GOD, I just asked him as a favor to me simply not to say those two words together. Not to beleive in him. Simply to do it as a favor for me. And as for the burning bush, thats debatable. As I said before I believe in god, i'm not so sure about everything else. And it was wrong of me to say the bush thing.....I am not as ignorant of your religion as you think I am.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Another fine post to prove our points...thanks Scrap! :wink:Actually, you are totally wrong on this Wharf. I am not trying to convince you, oranyone of my beliefs. BUT I do ask that all of you respect them. Something many non-believers have a problem doing.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I dont want to speak for Pagan, but I think I understand what he is saying...Let me make an analogy.

When I believe that there is only one "GOD", yes it can be considered offensive. No it isn't vain. That's nonsense.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Hans is one of the good ones. He's proven that from day one.

You go right on believing that Scrap. I never said a THING about my beliefs in that post, but you go right on claiming "victory".

Whatever blows ya dress up, bro.

Don't waste your breath Bullseye...apparently Scrap has developed this inner need to take everything I say completely out of context and somehow twist it to mean that his point has been proven. :rolleyes:

C'est la vie.

Shhh...don't burst his bubble. :tongue:Wow Pagan.Yet another intelligent, mature, and well thought out post. :rolleyes: May God bless you.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
And you know mine 100 percent? We are all ignorant to each others beliefs. And I NEVER NEVER asked anyone to toe my religion, nor beleive in MY GOD, I just asked him as a favor to me simply not to say those two words together. Not to beleive in him. Simply to do it as a favor for me. And as for the burning bush, thats debatable. As I said before I believe in god, i'm not so sure about everything else. And it was wrong of me to say the bush thing.....I am not as ignorant of your religion as you think I am.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
—Matthew 5:10-12

Den54
07-20-2007, 09:47 PM
When I believe that there is only one "GOD", yes it can be considered offensive. No it isn't vain. That's nonsense.

If you're offended it's cause you choose to be.
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Den54
07-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
—Matthew 5:10-12

What are you a bible parrot?

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 09:52 PM
If you're offended it's cause you choose to be.
Sounds like a personal problem to me.
Its not personal as in its just his belief, it is personal to us as a community.

Den54
07-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Its not personal as in its just his belief, it is personal to us as a community.

It's still a choice whether to be offended or not.
You may not be able to control peoples actions
but you God damn well can control your reaction to them.:D

Scrap
07-20-2007, 09:58 PM
What are you a bible parrot?
Wow...more attacks. Intelligent.

Den54
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM

You call that an attack?:rolleyes:

Enforcerfin33
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
but you God damn well control your reaction to them.:D
And here I thought we were having an intelligent discussion.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 10:03 PM
but you God damn well control your reaction to them.:D Wow...you really don't get it...Do you ? God bless you Den. I hope things get better for you in your life. See, I can react with a loving statement....even if I think your choice of words is disrespectful.

Den54
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
And here I thought we were having an intelligent discussion.

Too difficult for you to grasp?

Scrap
07-20-2007, 10:05 PM
You call that an attack?:rolleyes:Not much of one. But IT WAS your attempt to mock my post. Go ahead, say it wasn't.

Den54
07-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Wow...you really don't get it...Do you ? God bless you Den. I hope things get better for you in your life. See, I can react with a loving statement....even if I think your choice of words is disrespectful.

Well thank you very much.:D

Scrap
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Too difficult for you to grasp? God bless you again Den.

Scrap
07-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Well thank you very much.:D No problem. I really hope things get better for you. You seem to be a bit troubled.

Den54
07-20-2007, 10:08 PM
God bless you again Den.

More then once to me would seem to constitute using his name in vain.:lol:

Scrap
07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
More then once to me would seem to constitute using his name in vain.:lol: Not in the least.

DeathStar
07-20-2007, 10:43 PM
its 2007 and we still have people using the phrase "people of color"...kindly go back to the 1940's and stay there and don't come back.

DonShula84
07-20-2007, 10:45 PM
its 2007 and we still have people using the phrase "people of color"...kindly go back to the 1940's and stay there and don't come back.

Thundercracker
07-20-2007, 11:03 PM
God damn, this thread is long. Almost fell asleep halfway through the goddamn thing.

Pagan
07-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Pot, meet kettle....kettle, meet pot.

Wow Pagan.Yet another intelligent, mature, and well thought out post. :rolleyes: May God bless you.
No, I don't want your God to bless me. I could care less if he does. I have my own to bless me, thank you. Just like I have my own whose name I can say "damn" after...a concept you people just can't seem to fathom.

The delicious irony is that you don't seem to want to understand that, yet you make half-assed "oh how intelligent" comments about others.

Hilarious.

Pagan
07-21-2007, 12:34 AM
And you know mine 100 percent? We are all ignorant to each others beliefs.
You're forgetting something Enforcer...I was raised Christian. I chose what I am now. Were you raised Wiccan? Doubt it...therefore I am NOT ignorant of your faith. I lived it for almost 20 years.

And I NEVER NEVER asked anyone to toe my religion, nor beleive in MY GOD, I just asked him as a favor to me simply not to say those two words together. Not to beleive in him. Simply to do it as a favor for me.
But in a sense you are asking him to. You're asking him to abide by rules that he doesn't have to follow. AND, like I have stated before...Christians do not own the copyrite to the word "God". Every religion has a God.

It's amazingly presumptuous to assume that whenever the word "God" is spoken that it is in reference to the Christian God.

NativeFloridian
07-21-2007, 02:39 AM
God Dammit

Scrap
07-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Pot, meet kettle....kettle, meet pot.

No, I don't want your God to bless me. I could care less if he does. I have my own to bless me, thank you. Just like I have my own whose name I can say "damn" after...a concept you people just can't seem to fathom.

The delicious irony is that you don't seem to want to understand that, yet you make half-assed "oh how intelligent" comments about others.

Hilarious. May your God bless you Pagan. :)

Scrap
07-21-2007, 06:28 AM
You're forgetting something Enforcer...I was raised Christian. I chose what I am now. Were you raised Wiccan? Doubt it...therefore I am NOT ignorant of your faith. I lived it for almost 20 years.

But in a sense you are asking him to. You're asking him to abide by rules that he doesn't have to follow. AND, like I have stated before...Christians do not own the copyrite to the word "God". Every religion has a God.

It's amazingly presumptuous to assume that whenever the word "God" is spoken that it is in reference to the Christian God. All the more reason that you should understand and respect where we are coming from.

It's like basic math....Had you never made it to high school, we could understand if a simple math problem gave you trouble. 20 years ? You pretty much went to college by that claim. 2+2 should be much easier for you, Pagan.

God bless you Pagan. I'm not asking for you to be Christian. I could care less if you (or anyone else in this thread) ever read the bible, or go to church again. I'm just asking for you to respect those who are Christians.

Celtkin
07-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Well, I think everything has been said that needs to be said (over and over again) so it is time to close this thread. :lol: