PDA

View Full Version : So... what is your religion about...

Quelonio
07-21-2007, 03:07 PM
See we got all these posters that are christian. And for all of us that where raised in Christian (in my case catholic) enviroments we kinda know what are those beliefs. Some of us though have moved to different faiths after having grown dissappointed with the Christian faith.

And I am curious about what are the beliefs that other people from other faiths have. I think there was a similar thread back some time ago but just in case, since I remember posting something about Buddhism some time ago. Be it as it may I think it would be interesting to read more about Paganism, Judaism (I dated a girl that is a jew, thank god for being from a jewish family, and I learned a bit about it and it sounds like a deadly interesting religion).

I guess we should also open the door for any questions people might have and maybe even debate, since after all that is why we are here for.

Anyways I am a Zen Buddhist. Buddhism is a huge religion and as such it has very many different subdivisions inside of it. The two main ones are Mahayana and Theravada, the difference between the two is that Mahayana focuses on the Dharma (the teachings of the Buddha) while Theravada focuses more on the Buddha himself as a godlike figure, and on the gods and bodhidarmas that follow him.

Zen is a east asian brand of Buddhism. It does not focus on the philosophy and the metaphysical aspects of buddhism as much, and puts a strong (really strong) emphasis on the art of Zazen, which is seated meditation. Immitating the way Sakyamuni (Siddharta Gautama, Buddha) meditated under the Bodhi Tree to achieve enlightment.

As all buddhism we follow the eightfold path:

* Wisdom

1. Right view
2. Right intention

* Ethical conduct
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood

* Mental discipline

6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration

and we believe the four noble truths:

1. The Nature of Dukkha: All life is suffering. This is the noble truth of "dukkha": the word "Dukkha" is usually translated as "suffering" in English. Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, sickness is dukkha, death is dukkha; union with what is displeasing is dukkha; separation from what is pleasing is dukkha; not to get what one wants is dukkha; to get what one does not want is dukkha; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha. This first Noble Truth reflects on the nature of suffering. It comments on types of suffering, identifying each type in turn. A more accurate simplification of this truth is "Life is full of suffering."
2. The Origin of Dukkha (Samudaya): Suffering is caused by desire. This is the noble truth of the origin of dukkha: It is craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination. The second Noble Truth reflects on the sources of suffering (Dukkha.) Put very simply, it states that suffering results from expectations linked to our desires, and our attachment to those desires themselves.
3. The Cessation of Dukkha (Nirodha): To eliminate suffering, eliminate desire. This is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, and non-reliance on it. The third Noble Truth reflects on the belief that suffering can be eliminated. It asserts that it can be done, and that it has been done.
4. The Way Leading to the Cessation of Dukkha (Magga): To eliminate desire follow the Eightfold Path. This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of Dukkha: It is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. [7][9]

I posted that from wiki because I am a tad tired to go into it in my own words.

Anyways, you get my views now. I am interested in seeing yours.

Stitches
07-21-2007, 03:37 PM
I have no religion, but I must say I like the idea of that eightfold path.

WharfRat
07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow... I'm definately coming back to this thread when I have more time to devote to it, as there is really no simple explanation for what I consider my "religion" to be.... Great thread Quelonio!

Scrap
07-21-2007, 05:35 PM
So which one is the Dalai Llama (sp?) ? I have a two books by him, and I must say that I enjoy them both. Good stuff. I'm a bit more of a Gandhi guru (when it comes to folks of a different religion than mine, but the Dalai Llama is a good man.

Den54
07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a melting pot of beliefs.
I refuse to be pigeon holed into anyone sect or follow anyone dogma.
To lable me is to negate me.
I refuse to be negated!!!:D

Stitches
07-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I have a melting pot of beliefs.
I refuse to be pigeon holed into anyone sect or follow anyone dogma.
To lable me is to negate me.
I refuse to be negated!!!:D

What do you do if you get put on someone's ignore list then? :wink:

Den54
07-21-2007, 06:44 PM
What do you do if you get put on someone's ignore list then? :wink:

Thier loss.:lol:

MNFINFAN
07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Interesting thread, like wharfie I am going to come back, right now the center of my universe has escaped (two year old ran out front door). I was raised Catholic, went to an Anglican school, married in a Covenant Church, and occasionally attend for my wife's well being a Lutheran Church. However I don't believe in a God and haven't since I was 15, and as such don't haev a religion per se, though I have strong convictions on what is right or wrong and they tend to come from a Christian upbringing. Well cars are screeching so I had better get COU back inside the house.

Puka-head
07-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I also do not subscribe to any of the organized religions, there is too much evil in them. I do believe in a basic concept of good and evil, both being inherent in every one. The path you choose in life, whether you control the evil and do good or let it out and do bad determines where you get off this train at. If you make progress and your spirit grows, on to the next level.
I am no mans judge and will not be judged by other men so religions designed by and for men don't impress me much. The main purpose of organized religion is to provide a crutch, something to lean on in hard times, a way of lessening your burdens and transcending the bonds of mortality. It speaks a basic drive, the need to belong to something greater than ourselves, to expand your existence and extend it beyond its earthly boundaries. It is a great crutch, easily manufactured.
I prefer drugs.

DonShula84
07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I wish I could say but it's hard for me to understand it myself. I was raised Catholic and made the choice to go to church so I wasnt forced. I now have a lot of trouble w/ organized religion and the idea that what I believe is right and everyone else is going to hell.

Like I said before, it is hard for me to believe that a Christian is going to heaven because he's a believe but Ghandi is going to hell because he has a different set of beliefs. Deeds have to matter more than some Christians care to admit. If there is a God it just seems like he would care more about how you were as a human and how you treated other people than who you prayed to at night.

One day I feel like God exists and the next I feel like logically it just doesnt make sense. I go back and forth so it's hard for me to say I believe this. I see the Bible as a book of morales but not as a historical account of Gods words.

I support live and let live far too much to support organized religion which to me is very judgemental and hypocritical. I have no problem with religious people who have their beliefs but dont force it on others and judge everyone who doesnt believe everything they believe. The ones who know they are right, and thus act superior to everyone else, give all religious people a bad name and turn me off to organized religion more everyday. Who am I to say Catholics have it completely right and everyone else is wrong? If I were born in India I wouldnt have been raised a Catholic so a lot of time your religion is just a product of where you were born and your family. How do I know it is the one correct religion when I only know about it myself by chance?

Quelonio
07-21-2007, 08:06 PM
So which one is the Dalai Llama (sp?) ? I have a two books by him, and I must say that I enjoy them both. Good stuff. I'm a bit more of a Gandhi guru (when it comes to folks of a different religion than mine, but the Dalai Llama is a good man.

The dalai Lama is the leader of Tibethan Buddhism. They are a Mahayana style of Buddhism (like Zen).

The differences are that their style of Buddhism focuses more on the philosophies and teachings of the Buddha than on the art and practice of Meditation. They are also (which happens when you are originated in a place like Tibet where people live in such conditions that they need something to believe in) have a lot of demons and smaller deitys and stuff like that. Which Zen does not have.

Funnily enough I would say that the Tibetan buddhism is something like the Catholics to the Christians... in that they have so many added things in their interpretation of the Dharma.

Can't wait to see other peoples' responses.

Scrap
07-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I wish I could say but it's hard for me to understand it myself. I was raised Catholic and made the choice to go to church so I wasnt forced. I now have a lot of trouble w/ organized religion and the idea that what I believe is right and everyone else is going to hell.

Like I said before, it is hard for me to believe that a Christian is going to heaven because he's a believe but Ghandi is going to hell because he has a different set of beliefs. Deeds have to matter more than some Christians care to admit. If there is a God it just seems like he would care more about how you were as a human and how you treated other people than who you prayed to at night.

One day I feel like God exists and the next I feel like logically it just doesnt make sense. I go back and forth so it's hard for me to say I believe this. I see the Bible as a book of morales but not as a historical account of Gods words.

I support live and let live far too much to support organized religion which to me is very judgemental and hypocritical. I have no problem with religious people who have their beliefs but dont force it on others and judge everyone who doesnt believe everything they believe. The ones who know they are right, and thus act superior to everyone else, give all religious people a bad name and turn me off to organized religion more everyday. Who am I to say Catholics have it completely right and everyone else is wrong? If I were born in India I wouldnt have been raised a Catholic so a lot of time your religion is just a product of where you were born and your family. How do I know it is the one correct religion when I only know about it myself by chance?
I have always said my "Christian" views were different. I don't believe Gandhi is in hell at all. Though you seem to have battled me (quite a bit, I might say :tongue: ), from reading this post, I don't think our views differ all that much. I practice my religion by myself. I do not attend a church, for the same reasons you don't.

adamprez2003
07-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I am a heretical Christian. A mix of Gnostic Christianity, Catholicism, Zorastrianism, Manichiasm and certain other heretical beliefs

DolfinDave
07-22-2007, 01:21 AM
I was raised Catholic. I generally agree with the basic teachings of Christianity. And I find that most religions preach the same basic things. So I really don't identify with any specific organized religion.

I find deism attractive in some aspects. That might be because I like Madison and Jefferson so much.

I'm not convinced there is a God. I tend to think there is one though.

So I guess I'm kind of all over the place.

DonShula84
07-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I have always said my "Christian" views were different. I don't believe Gandhi is in hell at all. Though you seem to have battled me (quite a bit, I might say :tongue: ), from reading this post, I don't think our views differ all that much. I practice my religion by myself. I do not attend a church, for the same reasons you don't.

I think you are much more certain of the existance of God than I am, but perhaps we arent too far off in certain ways. I'm glad to hear you arent one of the Christians I cant stand :D I only really battled you because of who you were aligned w/ in those threads so I assumed you were closer to that person's views

Antoni
07-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I was raised as Eastern/Greek Orthodox but since then have lost all passion for religion in general. I think around age 10 is when I became an atheist, around the same time I found that the tooth fairy and Santa Claus don't actually exist. I don't mean to offend anyone, believe what you will, but organized religion in my eyes is just childish propaganda brainwashing for grownups. Others like Quelonio got to pick their religion as a thinking adult, but I'd be willing to bet my right leg that an overwhelming number of religious people were born into theirs and didn't have that choice.

Scrap
07-22-2007, 07:54 AM
I think you are much more certain of the existance of God than I am, but perhaps we arent too far off in certain ways. I'm glad to hear you arent one of the Christians I cant stand :D I only really battled you because of who you were aligned w/ in those threads so I assumed you were closer to that person's viewsI don't believe that only "Christians" are in heaven. I believe good people are in heaven.I really don't know how to put down (in words) exactly what I believe without sounding confusing, but I'll give a small run down of things I think, to maybe help. I don't believe I have to bug the heck out of anyone to be a Christian. I don't believe tattoos(I have some myself) are sinful. I don't believe it's wrong to watch Harry Potter, like my sister in law does. She irritates the heck out of me. I could explain the things she says and does, but to make it short....just fill in all of the things that irritate you about the holier than though folks, and shes every one of them.

I do not go to church, because I believe that most churches distort the true meaning of the Bible and certain verses, to fit what's on the menu this week. I practice silently, and on my own. I don't believe God needs my money either. He can work miracles without my money.

I do sin. Often. I don't ask forgiveness for those sins, because I'm not ready to give them up yet. :tongue: I hate how some people think it cleans our slate to ask forgiveness for a sin. I disagree. If it's something that you know in your heart that you will do again, you aren't sorry....and God knows it, IMO.

Let me stop here.....this thread is not about this, and I don't intend for it to be about my religion. Back to others.

Den54
07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't believe that only "Christians" are in heaven. I believe good people are in heaven.I really don't know how to put down (in words) exactly what I believe without sounding confusing, but I'll give a small run down of things I think, to maybe help. I don't believe I have to bug the heck out of anyone to be a Christian. I don't believe tattoos(I have some myself) are sinful. I don't believe it's wrong to watch Harry Potter, like my sister in law does. She irritates the heck out of me. I could explain the things she says and does, but to make it short....just fill in all of the things that irritate you about the holier than though folks, and shes every one of them.

I do not go to church, because I believe that most churches distort the true meaning of the Bible and certain verses, to fit what's on the menu this week. I practice silently, and on my own. I don't believe God needs my money either. He can work miracles without my money.

I do sin. Often. I don't ask forgiveness for those sins, because I'm not ready to give them up yet. :tongue: I hate how some people think it cleans our slate to ask forgiveness for a sin. I disagree. If it's something that you know in your heart that you will do again, you aren't sorry....and God knows it, IMO.

Let me stop here.....this thread is not about this, and I don't intend for it to be about my religion. Back to others.

No don't stop, you're on a roll.
I see common ground starting to develop under our feet.
You seem alright when you're not slinging bible quotes around.:lol:
J\K there Scrap but seriously, I would rather laugh with the sinners then cry
with the saints,the sinners are much more fun................Well you know the rest.:D

Pagan
07-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't believe that only "Christians" are in heaven. I believe good people are in heaven.I really don't know how to put down (in words) exactly what I believe without sounding confusing, but I'll give a small run down of things I think, to maybe help. I don't believe I have to bug the heck out of anyone to be a Christian. I don't believe tattoos(I have some myself) are sinful. I don't believe it's wrong to watch Harry Potter, like my sister in law does. She irritates the heck out of me. I could explain the things she says and does, but to make it short....just fill in all of the things that irritate you about the holier than though folks, and shes every one of them.

Hell Scrap, why do you butt heads with me then? If all Christians thought like you it would be a better world.

Scrap
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Hell Scrap, why do you butt heads with me then? If all Christians thought like you it would be a better world.Fun ?? :lol:

Pagan
07-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Fun ?? :lol:
*Spicoli voice*

You DICK! :tongue: :lol:

*end Spicoli voice*

WharfRat
07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Now that I have some time to properly address this, I figureed I'd come back and explain where I sit... spiritually.
As a few others started their posts... I was raised Christian, specifically Catholic. I was an Alter Boy at age 12, and in the church choir. By age 13, I had the entire mass memorized, and could lip-synch with the priest from start to finish... word for word... except for the readings and homily, which were the only things that changed each week.
This was when I started thinking that there had to be more to this than endless repetition, and blind faith... so I started exploring other christian churches...
I lived in a small town in SW Virginia, so the Baptist church was vastly different, I also attended Methodist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran services... I even sang in the Methodist choir for a short time.
I also explored (very shortly) the "Born Again" Christian prayer meetings that were popping up in the area. I never really found what it was that I was looking for, so by the time I was 16, I had pretty much given up on religion altogether.
At 18, off I went to the Army, where my "God" quickly became anyone with more stripes (or brass) than I had... It wasn't until I got out, and went to college, that I found there was more to explore...

I poured through books about Budhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Scientology, Jainism, Sikhism, Spiritism ... even Rastafarianism.... All had merits... all had pitfalls...

Since then, I think I've pulled away from even attempting to subscribe to any one organized religion per say... and taken what I feel to be the best pieces of all that I've studied, and made them my own. So, while not "religious" I do consider myself "spiritual".
Am I Atheist? or Agnostic? no.. because I don't doubt that the Christian's God exists.... for them. Any more than I doubt that Pagan's Goddess exists... for him... or that Gonesha exists for those of Hindu faith.... or that Allah exists for Muslims... etc.. etc....
So.. to me "religion" is more of a way to live your life... praise the God, Goddess, or any combination, who knows, it may all turn out to be the very same Deity, in different forms for different people of different perspectives.
Take a walk through my living room... and you will find a cross or two, several Buddah's, Gonesha, Shiva, an Ankh or two (I wear a gold one on a chain), Rah, a few Fu dogs, a Wiccan symbol or two, a Star of David and if you look real hard, a copy of the Koran, some Hindu scriptures, Buddhist writings, and a book on Native American vision quests....

So ... what is my religion about? All of the above...
If I HAD to pidgeon-hole it somewhat, I would tend to think my philosophy most closely resembles that of Hindu and Buddhist teachings.

DonShula84
07-22-2007, 05:20 PM

:chuckle: I think everyone who was butting heads w/ you earlier is scratching their head for completely misreading you lol.

Puka-head
07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Now that I have some time to properly address this, I figureed I'd come back and explain where I sit... spiritually.
As a few others started their posts... I was raised Christian, specifically Catholic. I was an Alter Boy at age 12, and in the church choir. By age 13, I had the entire mass memorized, and could lip-synch with the priest from start to finish... word for word... except for the readings and homily, which were the only things that changed each week.
This was when I started thinking that there had to be more to this than endless repetition, and blind faith... so I started exploring other christian churches...
I lived in a small town in SW Virginia, so the Baptist church was vastly different, I also attended Methodist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran services... I even sang in the Methodist choir for a short time.
I also explored (very shortly) the "Born Again" Christian prayer meetings that were popping up in the area. I never really found what it was that I was looking for, so by the time I was 16, I had pretty much given up on religion altogether.
At 18, off I went to the Army, where my "God" quickly became anyone with more stripes (or brass) than I had... It wasn't until I got out, and went to college, that I found there was more to explore...

I poured through books about Budhism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Scientology, Jainism, Sikhism, Spiritism ... even Rastafarianism.... All had merits... all had pitfalls...

Since then, I think I've pulled away from even attempting to subscribe to any one organized religion per say... and taken what I feel to be the best pieces of all that I've studied, and made them my own. So, while not "religious" I do consider myself "spiritual".
Am I Atheist? or Agnostic? no.. because I don't doubt that the Christian's God exists.... for them. Any more than I doubt that Pagan's Goddess exists... for him... or that Gonesha exists for those of Hindu faith.... or that Allah exists for Muslims... etc.. etc....
So.. to me "religion" is more of a way to live your life... praise the God, Goddess, or any combination, who knows, it may all turn out to be the very same Deity, in different forms for different people of different perspectives.
Take a walk through my living room... and you will find a cross or two, several Buddah's, Gonesha, Shiva, an Ankh or two (I wear a gold one on a chain), Rah, a few Fu dogs, a Wiccan symbol or two, a Star of David and if you look real hard, a copy of the Koran, some Hindu scriptures, Buddhist writings, and a book on Native American vision quests....

So ... what is my religion about? All of the above...
If I HAD to pidgeon-hole it somewhat, I would tend to think my philosophy most closely resembles that of Hindu and Buddhist teachings.
Very well said Wharf, I think of myself as more "spiritual" than "religious" also and I think that most of our generation and younger is in a very similar boat. But when I want to "worship" I'll go fishing, or take my daughter on a hike thru the woods, or go sit at the beach and listen to the ocean, stand in the rain during a thunderstorm or build a birdhouse for the tree in the backyard. Volunteering at the retirement home or just picking up trash on the way while walking the dog or going outside in the rain to watch while all the kids are walking to school are the things that we should give to our "church or congregation". Thanks for putting it down so concisely.:)

WharfRat
07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
But when I want to "worship" I'll go fishing, or take my daughter on a hike thru the woods, or go sit at the beach and listen to the ocean, stand in the rain during a thunderstorm or build a birdhouse for the tree in the backyard. Volunteering at the retirement home or just picking up trash on the way while walking the dog or going outside in the rain to watch while all the kids are walking to school are the things that we should give to our "church or congregation".

Nice! :clap:

EXACTLY where I sit (or kneel as the case may be)

themole
07-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Mine is a little tighter than the previous posts, but it works pretty good for me.

The Articles of Faith
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Boik14
07-23-2007, 01:27 AM
I was born and raised Jewish yet I havent been to a synogoue (outside of weddings, funerals, etc) since I was 13 to pray and Im not sure Id ever go again. Aside from the fact I cant stand the rigidity and lack of acceptance by different sectors even within the religion, I cant stand the way religion seems to divide people. To me its another demographic, just one you have a little more control over.

I guess its not that I dont believe in Judaism, its just that I believe in God not necessarily organized religion. I think my parents take a different perspective since my mother lost family in the holocaust and my grandfather (her dad) survived but lived his last years in a wheelchair when I was still pretty young.

Ultimately, i dont think my beliefs or thoughts align with any religion though. I just try do right and let things fall where they may. Hopefully that lands me in the right afterlife because all that I truly control are my own actions and words.

For the longest time I didnt think God existed, now I merely laugh at my own stupidity. I believe in a higher power, better late then never I guess, and that all the different interpretations of his sayings are limited in their differences and essentially pretty useless because none are, imo, his actual words. So while I dont know whether to call him God or Mohammed or whatever else you can call him, I find a lot of peace in just talking to him at times. I find comfort that he knows Ive committed time and money to help a lot of other people less fortunate then myself and by any religion that would be righteous as long as it wasnt done solely to feel better about yourself.

Enforcerfin33
07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I was born Protestant. I beleive in God, but I dont really have a faith I follow. I find too many discrepencies in most religions for me to actually 100% follow it.

ABrownLamp
07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
For the longest time I didnt think God existed, now I merely laugh at my own stupidity.

Why would it be funny or stupid to not believe in God?

Quelonio
07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I was raised as Eastern/Greek Orthodox but since then have lost all passion for religion in general. I think around age 10 is when I became an atheist, around the same time I found that the tooth fairy and Santa Claus don't actually exist. I don't mean to offend anyone, believe what you will, but organized religion in my eyes is just childish propaganda brainwashing for grownups. Others like Quelonio got to pick their religion as a thinking adult, but I'd be willing to bet my right leg that an overwhelming number of religious people were born into theirs and didn't have that choice.

Hey, do you mind elaborating on how Eastern/Greek Orthodox works... I have always been really curious about what are the differences between them and other christian churches, and everyone seems to leave them out of the discussion all the time. So That leaves me even more curious.

binky
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
This is a bold forum, great stuff.

I'm a Reformed Christian in the United Reformed Church. Raised Roman Catholic, lapsed into nothing, then came back to religion through Evangelicalism and then to my current place.

As far as what my faith is about, its about a real person, Jesus Christ who was both God and man, who died on a cross for the sins of humanity. I am a believer only through God's gracious act of giving me the faith to believe the gospel. I did not earn that through good works. My righteousness is based on Christs perfection, not my own. And I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I confess my sins regularly.

Mike13
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I was raised Catholic with some Judiasm as well since half my family are Jewish.

I would probably be condisidred a heretic if I were to go to my old middle school and tell them what I believe now.
I adhere to many beliefs of Christianity,but ther's also plenty I disagree with but I don't think that I should confess to a Priest my Sins, I do not take every word of the Bible to be the truth, The Pope is not infalliable, no religion is greater than another, I could go on but I don't want to piss anyone off.
I have grown less religous as I have gotten older

Many other religons have some very intresting ideas though, and I'm not going to denounce them.

Enforcerfin33
07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I was raised Catholic with some Judiasm as well since half my family are Jewish.

I would probably be condisidred a heretic if I were to go to my old middle school and tell them what I believe now.
I adhere to many beliefs of Christianity,but ther's also plenty I disagree with but I don't think that I should confess to a Priest my Sins, I do not take every word of the Bible to be the truth, The Pope is not infalliable, no religion is greater than another, I could go on but I don't want to piss anyone off.
I have grown less religous as I have gotten older

Many other religons have some very intresting ideas though, and I'm not going to denounce them. You know to me.......I dont know, its almost like, how do we know that we dont all really worship the same man, you know? How do we know he just doesnt have different forms, like to suit the genre of people?We shouldn't denounce someone elses beliefs because in the end maybe its all the same.

Pagan
07-24-2007, 10:01 AM
You know to me.......I dont know, its almost like, how do we know that we dont all really worship the same man, you know? How do we know he just doesnt have different forms, like to suit the genre of people?We shouldn't denounce someone elses beliefs because in the end maybe its all the same.
Or woman. :wink:

Enforcerfin33
07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Or woman. :wink:
I already have one of those I worship, just ask her she'll tell ya!:rolleyes:

Mike13
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
You know to me.......I dont know, its almost like, how do we know that we dont all really worship the same man, you know? How do we know he just doesnt have different forms, like to suit the genre of people?We shouldn't denounce someone elses beliefs because in the end maybe its all the same.

Good points, why wouldn't a higher power reveal him/herself to different religions?

binky
07-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Good points, why wouldn't a higher power reveal him/herself to different religions?

The problem with that is that the higher power would be revealing itself in contradictory ways.

Antoni
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey, do you mind elaborating on how Eastern/Greek Orthodox works... I have always been really curious about what are the differences between them and other christian churches, and everyone seems to leave them out of the discussion all the time. So That leaves me even more curious.

Very very similar to Catholicism on probably 99% of theology. The Greek and Russian Orthodox allow praying to the Virgin Mary and other saints like the Catholics, which I guess is a big no no in other Christianity religions. If I remember correctly at one point one split from another. Communion is very similar to Catholicism as well, the Orthodox Church hands out bread and wine for people getting Communion as the body and blood of Christ. In Greece, Russia, and other Orthodox heavy areas it's also very popular for people to wear gold crucifixes as it is in Catholic rich areas like Mexico, S. America, Italy, etc. But that's probably a minor detail.

My girlfriend is Catholic and once in a blue moon when I go to church with her I pretty much know what's going on. Catholics cross-sign themselves from left to right and Orthodox from right to left shoulder. I don't know do Protestants practice this? Oh, and the biggest difference of course is that Orthodox priests are allowed to marry

ckb2001
07-24-2007, 05:49 PM

So, what do you say about religions that don't require the existence of a God, and in many forms don't have one? Buddhism is the best example there (as in it's the largest of the religions that don't require the existence of a God).

Oh, and don't forget 1/5 of this planet (about 1.2 billion people) are agnostic or atheist. That's quite a bit that don't do any such worshipping.

Dolphin39
07-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Jesus Christ

Belief and personal acceptance in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Who died on the cross for the forgiveness of sins for all mankind and provided a way unto eternal salvation in a literal Heaven for those who accept him.

John 3:16

Enforcerfin33
07-25-2007, 07:37 PM
So, what do you say about religions that don't require the existence of a God, and in many forms don't have one? Buddhism is the best example there (as in it's the largest of the religions that don't require the existence of a God).

Oh, and don't forget 1/5 of this planet (about 1.2 billion people) are agnostic or atheist. That's quite a bit that don't do any such worshipping.
Isn't Buddha in a sense a God? And yes, you are correct alot of the population do not have a "God" so to speak, but they have items of worship, that could be interpreted as god like.

ckb2001
07-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Isn't Buddha in a sense a God? And yes, you are correct alot of the population do not have a "God" so to speak, but they have items of worship, that could be interpreted as god like.

Here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

"Buddhism is usually regarded as a religion without an absolute God who created the universe ex nihilo (from nothing) and to whom devotion and worship are due (although veneration and worship of the Buddhas do play a major role in Mahayana Buddhism). Buddhism is a way of life which does not hinge upon the concept of a Creator God."
--------

And this link explains some of the differences among the various sects, specifically explaining the point of view of Mahayana Buddhism, which was mentioned in the previous link as one form of Buddhism that does worship Buddha:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

"("Great Vehicle") is an inclusive, cosmically-dimensioned faith characterized by the adoption of additional texts, seen as ultimately transcending the Pali suttas, and a shift in the understanding of Buddhism. It goes beyond the traditional Theravada ideal of the release from suffering (dukkha) and personal enlightenment of the arhats, to elevate the Buddha to the God-like status of an eternal, omnipresent, all-knowing being, and to create a pantheon of quasi-divine Bodhisattvas devoting themselves to personal excellence, ultimate knowledge and the salvation of humanity (and indeed of all living beings, including animals, ghosts and gods). In Mahayana, the Buddha became an idealized man-god and the Bodhisattva was the universal ideal of excellence."
-------------------

But, reading that link about Theravana Buddhism, you won't find such a God-like figure.

And I seriously doubt the kind of worship you're referring to is practiced by a majority of those 1.2 billion that are agnostic or atheist. Sure, some may believe in mythologies, astrology, psychics, etc.. but do they worship any higher power? I'd bet most don't (hard to claim you're agnostic if you actually worship some higher spiritual power).

Oh, and I hope you're not including the kind of "worship" of movie stars etc.. in this. I think it's clear you meant some higher supernatural force.

Enforcerfin33
07-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Oh, and I hope you're not including the kind of "worship" of movie stars etc.. in this. I think it's clear you meant some higher supernatural force.

No, I was not. But speaking of "movie stars" that brings up the whole Scientology issue.

NewEra8
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Ive never been one to really get into religion.. But can someone answer this to me... What makes the bible a book true stories and biographies (loss of words here) other than just a book of morals to live by?

Mike13
07-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Is Dophinism a religon?

DolfinDave
07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Is Dophinism a religon?

Absolutely. I don't miss a Sunday mass for anything. :)

Dolphan7
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
As a child I was forced to attend a Christian Science Church, which I never could get used to, something about 80 year old ladies who just wanted to hug me. As a 7 year old I wasn't into that. In hindsight my parents were hypocrits because they just sent us kids to church while they stayed home. Today they are avid members of the same church. Go figure.

Then I entered school and was introduced to science, and evolution. That seemed to be the answer for many years. I was a staunch atheist and evolutionist. But I just didn't feel that it was complete. Then in 1993 a young man knocked on my door and invited me to his new church he was starting and so we decided to give it a try and see what that was all about. The man was very passionate and driven. He preached in such a way that I had never heard before. He made sense out the bible and talked to us in common everyday language. He made the bible practical. It started to make sense. Then I hit him with the tough questions, like how did Noah get all the animals in the Ark, where did Cain get his wife...etc... and he answered everyone of my concerns. I didn't convert right then and there, but my knowledge of Christianty began that day and has grown ever since.

To me it was a matter of intellect and logic. I mean we either got here by chance, or by design. It baffles me to this day that we could see such complexity in life and so many diverse systems and forms, yet it all started with a single cell created by accident, against insurmountable odds that it could do so, yet supposedly did, but then what? How did the first cell tell itself to split? What mechanism was in place for that to happen? Even if the first cell did happen, it couldn't have survived longer than a few hours at most? Then what. Another quadrillion to one shot that another cell comes to life by accident? Then what, back to the same problem as with the first cell. It just does not seem logical that we could have this abundant array of life by chance. Which lead me to the conclusion that we are here by design.

Now that design could have several different sources, what we like to call religions, or God, Gods, Goddesses, Self.....And when discussing religion one has to come to one of two conclusions - they are all wrong or only one is right, but they all can't be right because they all say contradictory things about what God is all about, what his caracter is, what his attributes are and how to attain salvation etc.....

Now if they are all wrong, then we are back to - are we here by accident or by design? Having logically and intellectually decided that we are here by design, then we are left with - one of the religions is right.

Now the only question left is, and it's the big one, which one?.....and that is where we have these discussions, with no concensus conclusions.

I believe in the God of the Bible. He is the real deal, the Bible is the accurate word of God, and that Jesus is the son of God (one being of the trinity) and died for all our sins. That our salvation is simply the acceptance of the grace God gave us when he allowed His son to die for all our sins. I believe that Christianity provides all the answers to all the tough questions and offers the most proof that it is indeed the one true God.