PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Or Wii?

Alex44
07-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Well guys I'm getting a job really soon (90% chance) it pays about $10.00 an hour (which isn't bad since it's my first ever job and I have no bills) I'll probably be working 45 to 53 hours a week (10 hour days + two or three on saturday) After 40 hours it's time and a half, so my estimation is that I'll be making between 450 and 530 dollars a week. Not bad at all.

Anyway my real question.

My first splurge is going to be on either a PS3 or a Wii. Obviously the Wii is cheaper, but I'd like to hear from owners of both to see which will be better to purchase.

Brown42000
07-25-2007, 01:37 AM
I don't own any next gen systems but why aren't you considering a 360?

NativeFloridian
07-25-2007, 02:03 AM
are u for real you are considering a wii! i despise those little pieces of crap they suck and espesially if you wanna look stupid you get to jump around adn crap while playing video games! controls are hard to learn and the controller always does something you dont tell it to! i got a ps3 get one trust me and its also an amazing blueray player!

Mainge
07-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Well guys I'm getting a job really soon (90% chance) it pays about $10.00 an hour (which isn't bad since it's my first ever job and I have no bills) I'll probably be working 45 to 53 hours a week (10 hour days + two or three on saturday) After 40 hours it's time and a half, so my estimation is that I'll be making between 450 and 530 dollars a week. Not bad at all.

Anyway my real question.

My first splurge is going to be on either a PS3 or a Wii. Obviously the Wii is cheaper, but I'd like to hear from owners of both to see which will be better to purchase.

I own both and only use the Wii for its internet browser.

PS3 all the way.

Bruzer
07-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Its just a matte of taste if you want any system xbox 360 is the best at the moment hands down. Wii and PS3 are both nice I got wii want to get a ps3 eventually but both have a massive lack in good games.

mor911
07-25-2007, 07:23 AM
i dont own a ps3... if money isn't an issue, i'd get a ps3. if you're a gamer (that like games that have stories, and shooting, and plots) your wii will end up becoming a weight until friends come over. not that there's a horde of ps3 games out there either, but at least it's got some great stuff coming.

Motion
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Like others have said, if money is no issue PS3 all the way. The Wii is awesome but its a "complimentary system" IMO, gotta have another next gen system for the serious games. Wii is awesome to play with other people though too, theres some really cool stuff coming out for it.

are u for real you are considering a wii! i despise those little pieces of crap they suck and espesially if you wanna look stupid you get to jump around adn crap while playing video games! controls are hard to learn and the controller always does something you dont tell it to! i got a ps3 get one trust me and its also an amazing blueray player!

:shakeno:

Desides
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Both, and a 360 too.

Phin-o-rama
07-25-2007, 09:01 AM

Anyway my real question.

weren't you gonna buy a pc?

Mike13
07-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a Wii and its pretty cool as for the PS3 I've played it and I like it.
But the price is a kick in the balls.

Aussiefinfan54
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
deffinantly a PS3, i have one and they are awesome, i also have 3 friends who bought wii's as soon as they came out and do not play them anymore, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. trust me after playing and using the features on both the PS3 is much, much better than the wii.

mor911
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
If there were something good out on the Wii, then maybe. But right now you got RE4, Zelda, and Paper Mario. RE4 is still RE4 from 2-3 years ago (not sure how old it is now) no matter how you spin it, Zelda is the GC game strategically 'delayed' until the Wii launched so there'd actually be a killer app on the thing. It's good for a run-through (I have it on Wii and GC and actually prefer the GC controller to the Wiimote (most people will argue otherwise... I'm wierd like that). Paper Mario I bought on the day it came out and it's '2D to 3D' gimmick gets old VERY quickly. Too slow at some parts of the game. Good for one play through but nowhere near a must buy. Worth a rent if you're a mario fan.

The PS3 I actually have less to say about... being that I don't have one. But at the very least, it's a Blu-ray player. That combined with Big Little Planet, MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, WarHawk, Lair, and Killzone2 coming in the near future (mostly 08 titles I think lol) and it's definitely future proof. It still plays PS1 and PS2 games... and more and more PS1 games are becoming downloadable. Not to mention the PS Network is starting to have downloadable demos like Live.

I guess it depends on what you plan to play.

Lair, MGS4, FFXIII, Warhawk, KZ2, Little Big Planet, and Home VS Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, and Wiifit.

Meh, to each his own.

muscle979
07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
PS3 by a long shot. Some great games are on the way too and that new Home thing looks like it should be pretty cool. I love my PS3, I wish I would have waited 2 months for the price drop but I don't regret buying it at all, even for 599. That sounds like a great job you got. I had to work at chick fil-a for about 4 years to get to 10 an hour (in northwest FL though, cost of living might be cheaper). With no bills go ahead and splurge on the PS3.

Mike13
07-25-2007, 10:26 AM
If there were something good out on the Wii, then maybe. But right now you got RE4, Zelda, and Paper Mario. RE4 is still RE4 from 2-3 years ago (not sure how old it is now) no matter how you spin it, Zelda is the GC game strategically 'delayed' until the Wii launched so there'd actually be a killer app on the thing. It's good for a run-through (I have it on Wii and GC and actually prefer the GC controller to the Wiimote (most people will argue otherwise... I'm wierd like that). Paper Mario I bought on the day it came out and it's '2D to 3D' gimmick gets old VERY quickly. Too slow at some parts of the game. Good for one play through but nowhere near a must buy. Worth a rent if you're a mario fan.

The PS3 I actually have less to say about... being that I don't have one. But at the very least, it's a Blu-ray player. That combined with Big Little Planet, MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, WarHawk, Lair, and Killzone2 coming in the near future (mostly 08 titles I think lol) and it's definitely future proof. It still plays PS1 and PS2 games... and more and more PS1 games are becoming downloadable. Not to mention the PS Network is starting to have downloadable demos like Live.

I guess it depends on what you plan to play.

Lair, MGS4, FFXIII, Warhawk, KZ2, Little Big Planet, and Home VS Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, and Wiifit.

Meh, to each his own.

You forgot Smash Bros.

muscle979
07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Wiifit looks stupid. Seriously, you need a video game to do pushups and other simple exercises? Give me a break.

Motion
07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
You forgot Smash Bros.

and Mario Kart :D

Alex44
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't own any next gen systems but why aren't you considering a 360?

For some reason I've never been a fan of the XBOX or 360. I don't know why, I guess because I grew up with Sony and Nintendo? I might get one eventually because there ARE games on there I like, but I like the other two better.

I'm leaning to the PS3 based on what everyone has said so far.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
For some reason I've never been a fan of the XBOX or 360. I don't know why, I guess because I grew up with Sony and Nintendo? I might get one eventually because there ARE games on there I like, but I like the other two better.

What kind of games do you play? Do you play online much, if at all? If online is important, then the 360 and Xbox Live is the way to go. The 360 has a TON of games RIGHT NOW, and some killer apps in the next 3 months.

Madden 08 in August, Halo 3 in September, GTA4 in October -and it will be the COMPLETE game when the downloads come out in 2008 versus the PS3 version which won't have all the missions, etc. Mass Effect in November.

Do you have a HDTV, where a Blu-ray player would be useful? Are you willing to wait another YEAR until the big PS3 games release? MGS4 in the Spring of 08 and FF13 late 08?

Like many, I see the Wii as a secondary system. Good for a couple games and with friends/family but not a "serious" gaming system.

Medieval954
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Find out which system has the games you like. Buy that one.

Or buy both.

Alex44
07-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Find out which system has the games you like. Buy that one.

Or buy both.

They both have games I like though :lol: that's why I want to know what owners of the systems think.

Medieval954
07-25-2007, 09:32 PM
If they both have games you like, then buy both. Unless you're asking which one you should buy first.

Alex44
07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
If I get one I'll wait at least a few months to get the other....so yes, first.

Bruzer
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM

I wasn't either till I bought one I seriously contemplated after even buying it if i should of spent my money on it the minute. I got it home hooked up and started playing saints row any of my regrets where gone I loved the system. So xbox 360 I would consider but with the knowledge you only want wii or ps3 I would say ps3 overall because sooner or later ps3 will have some amazing games.

Alex44
07-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I wasn't either till I bought one I seriously contemplated after even buying it if i should of spent my money on it the minute. I got it home hooked up and started playing saints row any of my regrets where gone I loved the system. So xbox 360 I would consider but with the knowledge you only want wii or ps3 I would say ps3 overall because sooner or later ps3 will have some amazing games.

I might get a 360 eventually.....it's just not up there with the other two. I'm thinking PS3 as of now because I also love sports games and I don't see the Wii being very good for them with the controller.

Medieval954
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, it sounds like you want a PS3, so get that first. Even though the big guns (MSG4 and FFXIII) don't come out until 2008, this holiday you still got Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, SOCOM which all look good and some 3rd party stuff as well i.e. Grand Theft Auto IV, Assassin's Creed, Madden 08, etc.

It will probably be hard to find a Wii anyway. Maybe after the new year, Nintendo will catch up to demand and you can play some of cool stuff (Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl) on Wii too.

Desides
07-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking PS3 as of now because I also love sports games and I don't see the Wii being very good for them with the controller.

Madden '08 runs at 60FPS on the 360, 30FPS on the PS3.

Alex44
07-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Madden '08 runs at 60FPS on the 360, 30FPS on the PS3.

So what? That isn't going to make it a horrible game or anything.

The system overall is better than the 360, even if the better games aren't out yet. Just my opinion.

Brown42000
07-26-2007, 12:06 AM

The system overall is better than the 360, even if the better games aren't out yet. Just my opinion.
I also agree but 360 owners strongly disagree sometimes.

King Felix
07-26-2007, 12:39 AM
what wii games are out that yuo want? that arent completly nerdy and lame...

Alex44
07-26-2007, 12:45 AM
what wii games are out that yuo want? that arent completly nerdy and lame...

:lol: Not sure how to answer that.

I'll admit I'm a dork in the fact that I love sonic, mario, and all that stuff. Though I was never a big zelda fan. I don't think there were ever any nintendo games I didn't like.

muscle979
07-26-2007, 11:11 AM

Yes exactly. I knew someone was going to bring up that stupid frame rate thing.

Scatman
07-28-2007, 09:14 PM
What kind of games do you play? Do you play online much, if at all? If online is important, then the 360 and Xbox Live is the way to go. The 360 has a TON of games RIGHT NOW, and some killer apps in the next 3 months.

Madden 08 in August, Halo 3 in September, GTA4 in October -and it will be the COMPLETE game when the downloads come out in 2008 versus the PS3 version which won't have all the missions, etc. Mass Effect in November.

Do you have a HDTV, where a Blu-ray player would be useful? Are you willing to wait another YEAR until the big PS3 games release? MGS4 in the Spring of 08 and FF13 late 08?

Like many, I see the Wii as a secondary system. Good for a couple games and with friends/family but not a "serious" gaming system.

up :yeahthat:

VanDolPhan
07-28-2007, 10:25 PM

The Xbox was far superior then the PS2 was. Didn't make a lick of difference then and it won't now.

Phin-o-rama
07-28-2007, 11:38 PM
The Xbox was far superior then the PS2 was. Didn't make a lick of difference then and it won't now.

very true, it's all about the games....

that's if history repeats itself of course....the xbox was by far the better made console, power and quality wise....and the games did look better (imo)....i had both, and loved the xbox.

this gen though, with how much more powerful the ps3 is supposed to be, it still makes me wonder why the cross platform games look better on the 360....i suppose its just from the devs either having a little longer with the 360 and also they may build the games for the 360 and port them to ps3 for now...

Scatman
07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
yea..itll be a while i think still before ps3 games start outshinning the 360...and thatll only happen if their istall base grows. cauase develiopers arent gonna spent the extra cash to sell a couple more games.

Medieval954
07-29-2007, 01:52 PM

:yeahthat:

Fun fact: The console with the most horsepower has never won any console generation, including handhelds.

The only exception was the Super NES which barely beat out the Genesis only because Sega of Japan killed it off prematurely to focus on the Saturn.

muscle979
07-29-2007, 02:07 PM

You're making the assumption that he's just talking about processer power. It's been mentioned a hundred times already but the blu-ray drive is a HUGE plus for the PS3. That made it a better system for me and I'm sure I'm not alone. Also Microsoft was just jumping into the market against a firmly established and very successful brand. It's not surprising that Xbox was way behind PS2.

muscle979
07-29-2007, 02:11 PM
very true, it's all about the games....

that's if history repeats itself of course....the xbox was by far the better made console, power and quality wise....and the games did look better (imo)....i had both, and loved the xbox.

this gen though, with how much more powerful the ps3 is supposed to be, it still makes me wonder why the cross platform games look better on the 360....i suppose its just from the devs either having a little longer with the 360 and also they may build the games for the 360 and port them to ps3 for now...

Yes. It's not completely true either. The consensus of every review I read was that the PS3 version of Oblivion was the best looking and smoothest running. (Faster loading times than 360) I haven't seen it on 360 but I own it on PS3 and it definitely looks great. They did good with that but dropped the ball with some games like F.E.A.R. It doesn't look too great on PS3.