PDA

View Full Version : Only God can cool a non-believer's anger

BAMAPHIN 22
07-25-2007, 08:41 PM
DEAR DR. GRAHAM: I've never understood why some people seem to hate God. A man I work with gets very upset whenever anyone brings up the subject of religion, even if they aren't trying to convert anyone or start an argument. Why is this? -- K.D.

DEAR K.D.:: I don't know exactly why this person gets so upset whenever God is mentioned -- but have you ever thought about asking him? You might not get a calm answer, but it would be interesting to see what he says.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/07/25/only-god-can-cool-a-non-believers-anger/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fseattlepi.nwsource.com%2Fgraham%2F322340_billy24.html&frame=true

Alex44
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
:chuckle:

I never get mad when people bring up god....I just roll my eyes at them and wait to see what comes out of their mouth to make me laugh.

ckb2001
07-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I care too much about whether something that is claimed to be true is actually true to just laugh it off when someone says God exists. Accuracy is far too important to me to just let a claim that is based on no demonstrable evidence have no emotional effect. So, that's my reason.

Alex44
07-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I care too much about whether something that is claimed to be true is actually true to just laugh it off when someone says God exists. Accuracy is far too important to me to just let a claim that is based on no demonstrable evidence have no emotional effect. So, that's my reason.

I used to try and show people why they were right or wrong, but most of the extreme religious people don't care about facts.

ckb2001
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I used to try and show people why they were right or wrong, but most of the extreme religious people don't care about facts.

On a societal scale, such debates are irrelevant. Science derives tremendous and unassailable power from the technology derived from it that people are so willing to be dependent on (from medicine, military tech to industrial applications). Thus, even though a majority of Americans claim to believe in God, this country is one of the most pro-science societies in existence, and religious organizations have little to no influence on almost all policy-making vital for the functioning of this society. Their power is mostly felt in matters not too important from a point of view of functionality.

At a level of debating only with religious fundamentalists, you're essentially right. It's essentially a waste of time, and I try to end the debate as soon as possible.

But, when there are others listening, such as on a message board, I think it's best to go toe to toe with them, not because there is any more than a miniscule chance the religious fundamentalists one is debating with will change their thought processes, but because others that watch/read the debate may do so.

There are enough cases I've seen here where forcing someone to actually argue against the science has paid off. A good example is global warming. I think before I went into detail on the actual research papers of so-called "skeptics" or went into detail on various research papers that underlie the conclusions of the IPCC report, there was a much greater willingness by some posters here to simply attack the science without using scientific evidence to support their claims. Instead, it was using misrepresentations by politicians as the basis for attacks on the science.

That's one example, but there are others too. Going toe to toe does have an effect. So, at least when people who aren't so narrow-minded are listening, then laughing at the religious fundamentalists probably isn't the best strategy.

Rafiki
07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
The scientific method has about as much to do with religion as trigonometry does with written prose.

There's nothing to debate.