PDA

View Full Version : Worried about buying a 360

Clark Kent
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm going to buy a next gen console, but I want your advice.

I own/ed an xbox and ps2, and really loved the xbox more. However I have big problems with it...

1). Every ****ing game gets a dirty disc error. Buying games is worthless...

2). My xbox DVD player also ****s up all the time. (Oh, and do you need to buy a remote for the 360 dvd, like you had to with the xbox or does it come with?).

Basically, MS hardware is ****ty and the 360 doesn't seem much better with it's 30% failure rate. And I've heard people ***** about dirty disc errors with the 360 as well. I don't want to put down all that money for another semi broken console.

All things being equal, I would prefer a 360 for numerous reasons. But I can't seem to pull the trigger.

Basically, talk me into buying a 360 :lol:

Motion
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Sorry can't do it. :D

I can't even talk myself into it. :lol:

I can't justify spending that kinda money on a system that could likely fail at anytime. Although exclusive GTA IV content is a plus.

theghost
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I love mine.

Desides
07-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Hold out. This is the absolute worst time to buy an Xbox360. There are rumors of a $50 price cut coming in August, and Microsoft will be introducing the 65nm version soon which should be a big help in reducing power consumption and heat generation.

Just hold on a few months.

Firesole
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I own/ed an xbox and ps2, and really loved the xbox more. However I have big problems with it...

1). Every ****ing game gets a dirty disc error. Buying games is worthless...

2). My xbox DVD player also ****s up all the time. (Oh, and do you need to buy a remote for the 360 dvd, like you had to with the xbox or does it come with?).

Basically, MS hardware is ****ty and the 360 doesn't seem much better with it's 30% failure rate. And I've heard people ***** about dirty disc errors with the 360 as well. I don't want to put down all that money for another semi broken console.

All things being equal, I would prefer a 360 for numerous reasons. But I can't seem to pull the trigger.

Never had any problems with mine. No dirty discs, no disc errors, no hardware failures. Basically, if you take care of your ****, you don't have anything to worry about. If you treat your expensive game system and expensive games like ****, that's what you get out of them.

For me I love the 360. I play all kinds of game, love the downloadable content so I can test out demos instead of renting them at Blockbuster. I use the connection to my PC to play music store on my pc through my home theater system, which is great for parties. I can do the same with videos and pictures at the same time, and use pics on the big screen TV as a screen saver slideshow during parties.

I can use MSN messenger now thru my 360.

The only negative I have about the system is that it is too expensive to buy some downloadable content.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Never had any problems with mine. No dirty discs, no disc errors, no hardware failures. Basically, if you take care of your ****, you don't have anything to worry about. If you treat your expensive game system and expensive games like ****, that's what you get out of them.

For me I love the 360. I play all kinds of game, love the downloadable content so I can test out demos instead of renting them at Blockbuster. I use the connection to my PC to play music store on my pc through my home theater system, which is great for parties. I can do the same with videos and pictures at the same time, and use pics on the big screen TV as a screen saver slideshow during parties.

I can use MSN messenger now thru my 360.

The only negative I have about the system is that it is too expensive to buy some downloadable content.

There are people who take good care of their **** and the system still breaks.

The Confessor
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I forget the final number MS churned out, but isnt it actually like 1 in 5 breaks or is returned? Pretty high numbers IMO...

StormSurge
07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I've never received a dirty disk error. I guess my disks are clean. :err:

I've never had a game freeze up on me or any other sort of hardware issue.

The original Xbox did nothing for me & I played the hell out of my PS2. I love, love, love my 360. This is the most fun I've had playing video games since the NES.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I've never received a dirty disk error. I guess my disks are clean. :err:

I've never had a game freeze up on me or any other sort of hardware issue.

The original Xbox did nothing for me & I played the hell out of my PS2. I love, love, love my 360. This is the most fun I've had playing video games since the NES.

I never understood these type of replies. Chances are if you buy an XBOX360 it will work. Even if it is a 1 in 3 chance that it doesn't, it still means that there is a 66% chance that you will have nothing wrong with your xbox 360. The guy knows that there are people out there with perfectly working 360s.

Nappy Roots
07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

thats completely false.

The Confessor
07-26-2007, 05:48 PM
thats completely false.

Either that or 1 in 3 people that buy one is treating it like ****....
:tongue:

I agree with Nap here. There are already reported problems with the 360. I dont care if you wipe down your games with a cloth every hour and keep the player in a freakin vacuum (Not a vacuum cleaner). There are reported inherint issues with the 360. (.)

brandon27
07-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I've had my 360 since day one. No problems at all. No disc errors, no red lights, no scratches, nothing... zip.. zilch... nada.

Even if you run into a problem, you now have a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase. go for it!

QuenteK25
07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I never understood these type of replies. Chances are if you buy an XBOX360 it will work. Even if it is a 1 in 3 chance that it doesn't, it still means that there is a 66% chance that you will have nothing wrong with your xbox 360. The guy knows that there are people out there with perfectly working 360s.

I own 2, and among co-workers and friends I know of 14 Xbox 360's that have never had a single issue. Statistically speaking 4.66 of those boxes should have issues...so how have we not had even 1 problem?

Are there problems, yes, no doubt. But I think 33% is an exaggeration.

My ipod on the other hand...piece of crap. 50% of the ipods in my house have had problems...but I'm not one of those people who goes starting threads all over the internet whining about it.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I own 2, and among co-workers and friends I know of 14 Xbox 360's that have never had a single issue. Statistically speaking 4.66 of those boxes should have issues...so how have we not had even 1 problem?

Are there problems, yes, no doubt. But I think 33% is an exaggeration.

My ipod on the other hand...piece of crap. 50% of the ipods in my house have had problems...but I'm not one of those people who goes starting threads all over the internet whining about it.

That is true, however there is also a chance that all 14 would mess up and none of them would be messed up and the 33% could still be 100% accurate. Unless you feel that 14 is a good enough base for a survey of a few million.

I do have a feeling that the number is lower than 33%, however from the lack of any real data, I am sure it is higher than 5% if not 10%.

Phinz420
07-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Sorry can't do it. :D

I can't even talk myself into it. :lol:

I can't justify spending that kinda money on a system that could likely fail at anytime. Although exclusive GTA IV content is a plus.

Take Two refuses to say whether the rumors about the PS3 getting it's own content are true or false, and that is generally a big sign pointing to true. MS paid a lot of money for their exclusive content, but that doesn't have any bearing on other content that sony can broker with T2.

That said, as I see it now I would be extremely surprised if the rumored PS3 exclusive content was released at the same time as Microsoft's. You can chalk that up to MS being on the ball with this exclusive deal long before Sony realized that could hurt them too significantly.

Medieval954
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
If possible, buy one at Costco. If anything happens to it, you can exchange it with no questions asked for as long as you own the system. That's where I buy all my consoles. :)

If not, then it comes with a 3 year warranty anyway, so you're good to go. All Xbox 360's were built with a flaw in the x-clamps, so all of them will get the "3 red rings of death" eventually. There is a not too difficult manual fix for it if you don't mind opening up your system, but with the generous warranty, you won't have to.

Phin-o-rama
07-26-2007, 08:46 PM
i dont think they do that anymore....unless you are grandfathered in already

people abused it too much

Medieval954
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Only certain items have a 90 day time limit on them now. Video game consoles are not one of those items.

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?ProductNo=11204333

Phin-o-rama
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
o snap thats awesome

QuenteK25
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
That is true, however there is also a chance that all 14 would mess up and none of them would be messed up and the 33% could still be 100% accurate. Unless you feel that 14 is a good enough base for a survey of a few million.

I do have a feeling that the number is lower than 33%, however from the lack of any real data, I am sure it is higher than 5% if not 10%.

I'll buy that, and yes my limited survey group could produce a statistical anomaly. I hate statistics.

StormSurge
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM

Sorry for not clearing my reply through you first. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Sorry for not clearing my reply through you first. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

apologies accepted

Lukin
07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
My Xbox just got the red ring of death yesterday. I couldn't believe it; it's like one of those things where you never think it will happen to you, but then it does. And as far as taking care of your system goes; I took great care of mine. It was hardly ever played more than an hour or two at a time and it's never been dropped or anything like that. That just sucks.

FinsNCanes
07-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Don't get a 360.

Get a ps3.

VanDolPhan
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Don't get a 360.

Get a ps3.

This coming from the guy complaining about a lack of games on 360 :tongue:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

So far in my circle of friends the only one that failed was my cousin' who had one of the initial 360's that came out and stupidly had it sitting on his carpet the entire time.

Basically the main issue is the heating problem but there are plenty of cheap fans out there to stick on the back that seem to help.

Only problem I've had with mine is that the disc drive makes an odd sound at times (makes me think eventually it will go).

PhinzN703
07-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Yeah man, it's a hit or miss type of situation. I guess the same can be said for any type of system.

I haven't had trouble with mine yet. I take good care of it too. But then again that doesn't mean **** :wink:

Dolphins9954
07-27-2007, 06:07 PM

I own/ed an xbox and ps2, and really loved the xbox more. However I have big problems with it...1). Every

****ing game gets a dirty disc error. Buying games is worthless...

I smell a troll. I've had my 360 now for 2 years. All my friends have one. That's about 12 of them. And not one has broke. In my 2 years with a 360 I've only had two dirty disks incidents. And those games were from blockbuster. Don't believe the hype. There is plenty of ps3 trolls starting crap rumors about 360 because there scared.

In the end the number one reason to buy the 360.

GAMES.

360 is blowing away ps3 with the amount of good games it has and is about to have. The top three rated games on the ps3 is Obilvion, Rainbow six, and Ninja Gaiden. ALL XBOX GAMES. If you can't beat them. Copy them.

Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Lost oddessy all great games that the ps3 won't have.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I smell a troll. I've had my 360 now for 2 years. All my friends have one. That's about 12 of them. And not one has broke. In my 2 years with a 360 I've only had two dirty disks incidents. And those games were from blockbuster. Don't believe the hype. There is plenty of ps3 trolls starting crap rumors about 360 because there scared.

GAMES.

360 is blowing away ps3 with the amount of good games it has and is about to have. The top three rated games on the ps3 is Obilvion, Rainbow six, and Ninja Gaiden. ALL XBOX GAMES. If you can't beat them. Copy them.

Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Lost oddessy all great games that the ps3 won't have.

The guy is a member of the board, not just a one and done.

There isn't a hype. Microsoft messed up with their manufactoring which is why they extended the warrentee for 3 years.

VT Dolphan
07-27-2007, 06:42 PM
I take good care of my games and system and still had it break down on me. To make things worst, two of my games got so scratched up from simply being used in my faulty 360 that they no longer work.

On the plus side, Microsoft fixed my console for free and relatively quickly. Haven't had any problems with it since.

It seems that everything that could have gone wrong with my system did, and yet I would still recommend it.

Dolphins9954
07-27-2007, 08:07 PM
The guy is a member of the board, not just a one and done.

There isn't a hype. Microsoft messed up with their manufactoring which is why they extended the warrentee for 3 years.

When the guy makes comments like.

"1). Every ****ing game gets a dirty disc error. Buying games is worthless..." and Basically, MS hardware is ****ty and the 360 doesn't seem much better with it's 30% failure rate. And I've heard people ***** about dirty disc errors with the 360 as well. I don't want to put down all that money for another semi broken console.

I have the right to feel that there is some trolling going on. Now if he approached it differently instead of cursing microsoft and 360 every chance he gets then I might take him seriously. In the end this is the typical ps3 trolling that goes on everyday on the internet.

I love my 360 and so does everyone I know that has one. 360 has a lot better games and selection than the ps3. Which is the main reason to buy one. And if by chance your 360 does break. MS will fix it for free.

Clark Kent
07-27-2007, 08:49 PM
When the guy makes comments like.

"1). Every ****ing game gets a dirty disc error. Buying games is worthless..." and Basically, MS hardware is ****ty and the 360 doesn't seem much better with it's 30% failure rate. And I've heard people ***** about dirty disc errors with the 360 as well. I don't want to put down all that money for another semi broken console.

I have the right to feel that there is some trolling going on. Now if he approached it differently instead of cursing microsoft and 360 every chance he gets then I might take him seriously. In the end this is the typical ps3 trolling that goes on everyday on the internet.

I love my 360 and so does everyone I know that has one. 360 has a lot better games and selection than the ps3. Which is the main reason to buy one. And if by chance your 360 does break. MS will fix it for free.

I've had issues with my Xbox.

I've read stories about failures, DDE, etc... for the 360. Which is why I asked for opinions.

You selectively didn't include that I said All things being equal, I would prefer a 360. Controller, Games, online support, etc... > PS3. The only concern is for me is reliability... I never even mentioned the PS, except to say I owned both, liked the xbox better. You're seriously paranoid...

Ok, a few more question for you guys.

1. The 3 year warranty. Is it 3 years for just the red rings, or is it 3 years for blanket coverage?

2. How will you know if your 360 has the new chipset (when it comes out)?

3. If your xbox360 damages a game, will MS pay for it?

Thanks.

TheMageGandalf
07-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Ok, a few more question for you guys.

1. The 3 year warranty. Is it 3 years for just the red rings, or is it 3 years for blanket coverage?

2. How will you know if your 360 has the new chipset (when it comes out)?

3. If your xbox360 damages a game, will MS pay for it?

Thanks.

1. I am pretty sure it covers the system for 3 years. Unless YOU say YOU dropped your coffee on the system I am pretty sure it'll cover anything for 3 years.

2. As soon as those systems come out there will be hundreds of people going online dishing out the specs and the model# etc. etc. Not to mention you can usually just go by the manufacturing date which is visible without opening the box.

3. I'm not sure about this one. I think they had something going where if it was damaged you could get a replacement but had to send in some money for the shipping or whatnot but I dont know for sure since that was a long time ago and they may have changed it since then to something that is better.

On a side note. Knock on wood Ive had and played my 360 for a long time now and it was made March 27 2006 and no problems or weird noises. I do have an Intercooler installed.

I also have a green Halo edition XBOX that Ive seriously killed (played it for like 12 hours straight one time playing ES Morrowind) and to date, no problems what so ever.

muscle979
07-28-2007, 10:03 AM

GAMES.

Oblivion has extra content on the PS3 version. It looks better and is consistently rated as the best version of the game out there. FYI. I'm pretty sure it was released on PC first, or at least at the same time, so no it's not an Xbox game. In another year there won't likely be much of a gap in titles available, if any at all.

Xbox seems to be doing the right thing and giving good warranties now so I wouldn't let that stop me if I wanted a 360. Of course it could be annoying waiting for Microsoft to fix and return my system.

Clark Kent
07-29-2007, 09:35 PM
With the $50 dollar price drop I believe I'm going to get myself an Xbox 360... from Costco. That way when the new xbox360 comes out with the new chipset I'll return it for a new one. Or if anything ****s up, I'll be able to get a new one... Either way. Thanks for whoever mentioned that tidbit.

But one quick final question and I'm done. Does anyone play their 360 online using a router? If so, do I need a specific one, or are they all OK for the 360?

Scatman
07-29-2007, 10:15 PM
im pretty sure most routers will work..i sue one and it works gooood