PDA

View Full Version : Many 'believe myths' on epilepsy

Eshlemon
07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6913883.stm

Many 'believe myths' on epilepsy

Many people believe potentially harmful myths about epilepsy, a study from University College London suggests.

A third would put something in the mouth of a person having a seizure to stop them swallowing their tongue - but doing so could block their airways.

I've got epilepsy and had someone try this before, nearly bit off their finger. Not something to do, as well as holding person down.

"The only thing to do is keep them safe and let the seizure run its course."

Alison Knight of charity Epilepsy Action said: "It is worrying that so many people do not know what to do, but in a way it's not surprising because epilepsy is still a very misunderstood condition."

The study authors suggest that the inaccurate depiction of epilepsy in films could help perpetuate these myths, and may contribute to negative stereotypes surrounding the disease

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Miamian
07-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I have to be reminded about not putting something in the person's mouth. I heard that when I was young and it stuck. Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where someone was having a fit.

I hope that they find a cure in your lifetime. It sounds like one of the applications for the microchip implantation.

Quelonio
07-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I used to have the same misconceptions. And then as a camp counselour I happened to become the favorite counselour of a group of children, all of them with Epilepsy problems. So they wanted me to eat with them, and in order to do that I had to learn everything about epilepsy....

I loved doing that. I got so many stories between them and a great friend that was completely paralized and deaf and mute. He used to joke around a lot with us.

cnc66
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
I was on the peak of a two story house that Rob and I had just finished blacking in. Rob was straddling the peak, talking and pointing when his eyes rolled back in his head and he fell away from me, I scrambled over the peak and grabbed ahold as he went into a grand mall seizure. A 7/12 pitch roof, we slid down, him in a bearhug and struggling with me. My feet blew off the toeboard but my elbow caught it.

Here I was... Rob was thrashing around, my feet were already off the roof, I thought we were a goner and no way was I letting go.. we made it, or we didn't. The neighbor saw the whole thing and was standing there with his mouth open waiting for us to fall. I yelled at him to get help... see, the rest of the crew was next door working on the detached garage and with generators and compressors going could not hear me yelling. Finally the neighbor guy ran over and got me some help.

My foreman came up the ladder like a jet and drug us up higher on the roof... above the toeboard again. It was prolly three of the longest minutes ever for me. We got him down safely and he came around in about twenty minutes and remembered nothing. Odd thing was, I "knew" the instant the eyes rolled and he stiffened what was going down. And there ya go, only time I was ever a rescuer.

Eshlemon
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I have to be reminded about not putting something in the person's mouth. I heard that when I was young and it stuck. Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where someone was having a fit.

I hope that they find a cure in your lifetime. It sounds like one of the applications for the microchip implantation.

Yes, that chip would be sweet. Have found the right cocktail of medication that controls 'em, but while good for the brain ain't good for the rest of the body and have to get stuff checked especially my liver. Cross my fingers and really believe it will happen based on the way medical advancements seem to be spiking. Or maybe I just pay more attention to the stuff than when I was younger.:lol:

Eshlemon
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I was on the peak of a two story house that Rob and I had just finished blacking in. Rob was straddling the peak, talking and pointing when his eyes rolled back in his head and he fell away from me, I scrambled over the peak and grabbed ahold as he went into a grand mall seizure. A 7/12 pitch roof, we slid down, him in a bearhug and struggling with me. My feet blew off the toeboard but my elbow caught it.

Here I was... Rob was thrashing around, my feet were already off the roof, I thought we were a goner and no way was I letting go.. we made it, or we didn't. The neighbor saw the whole thing and was standing there with his mouth open waiting for us to fall. I yelled at him to get help... see, the rest of the crew was next door working on the detached garage and with generators and compressors going could not hear me yelling. Finally the neighbor guy ran over and got me some help.

My foreman came up the ladder like a jet and drug us up higher on the roof... above the toeboard again. It was prolly three of the longest minutes ever for me. We got him down safely and he came around in about twenty minutes and remembered nothing. Odd thing was, I "knew" the instant the eyes rolled and he stiffened what was going down. And there ya go, only time I was ever a rescuer.

That's awesome dude.

Aways wonder how I'd react in such a situation. Panic? Not react fast enough? Can't ever know for sure till it happens and hope I come thru like you did.

finswin56
07-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Holy crap Marty! You got me all nervous and in a cold sweat reading that. I can only imagine how scared you were once you stopped sliding and were just hanging there. That's movie hero stuff.

cnc66
07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
you have the scared stuff right, I was terrified, but I wasn't letting go either. You wouldn't either, sometimes you have to do stuff.

Miamian
07-27-2007, 02:49 AM
you have the scared stuff right, I was terrified, but I wasn't letting go either. You wouldn't either, sometimes you have to do stuff.So when is the movie coming out? Do you think that I could get a part as an extra?

FinsNCanes
07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Hrm.

I have what they call "Motor Seizures". It's basically a mild case of it that is controlled by medication and it only happens in my sleeps..which is weird.

I remember they used to think people with epilepsy were possesed :cooldude:

Eshlemon
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Hrm.

I have what they call "Motor Seizures". It's basically a mild case of it that is controlled by medication and it only happens in my sleeps..which is weird.

I remember they used to think people with epilepsy were possesed :cooldude:

Or geneticly inferior and sterilized or the infamous lobotomy cure. We're "lucky" to be born now and not 50+ years ago.

Blackocrates
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM

Geez, that's one heck of a story.

FinsNCanes
04-02-2008, 05:51 PM
There is a surgery you can get. I think it depends on how badly you have it though.

Blackocrates
04-03-2008, 01:09 AM
There is a surgery you can get. I think it depends on how badly you have it though.

Yeah, I believe they cut the middle of the brain (corpus collosum?) in half or something.