PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 drops price by $50

Medieval954
07-28-2007, 02:14 AM
A leaked ad from Wal-Mart appeared showing an Xbox 360 premium for $349.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

-------

More proof. Toys R Us ad leaked.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/4uyvq7s-1.jpg

-------

Even more proof.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/08/67gpsa1-1.jpg

$30 off the Elite
$50 off the Premium (with free copy of Rockstar's Table Tennis)
$20 off the Core

TexanPhinatic
07-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Hmm, what systems will this be for, all or just 1? And will they do any retroactive refunds to anyone who has recently purchased one? And how far back would they go?
Move definately makes sense though. They have some monster games coming out and this could just build some HUGE momentum through the christmas season.

muscle979
07-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Hmm, what systems will this be for, all or just 1? And will they do any retroactive refunds to anyone who has recently purchased one? And how far back would they go?
Move definately makes sense though. They have some monster games coming out and this could just build some HUGE momentum through the christmas season.

Refunds? :lol: Yeah right. I bought a PS3 at the beginning of May. I know the pain of just missing out on a price cut but I think the only thing you can really do is take it like a man. I've never heard of any type of refund like this.

Scatman
07-28-2007, 09:00 PM
they ashould just cut 100 bucks off

byroan
07-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Refunds? :lol: Yeah right. I bought a PS3 at the beginning of May. I know the pain of just missing out on a price cut but I think the only thing you can really do is take it like a man. I've never heard of any type of refund like this.

If it's within the return period they will give you the difference. If they don't, then just return it and buy a new one for the lower price.

BleedinGreenNC
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM

Depends on where you bought it, and how long the return policy is. I got mine from Sears in June, have a 90 day return policy, price match. I will be getting my $50 bucks back!!

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-29-2007, 01:27 PM
they ashould just cut 100 bucks off

That would have been very aggressive, and MS would have kept the lead over Nintendo for sure. With $50, I think they sell neck-and-neck with the Wii through the rest of the year.

MS could still add a bundle though, with some game or an extra controller to sweeten the deal. It wouldn't cost them that much extra to do so, but along with a $50 drop it will move consoles.

Medieval954
07-29-2007, 01:55 PM
More poof. Someone at the Cheap *** Gamer forums snapped a pic of the Toys R Us ad for that week.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/4uyvq7s-1.jpg

Motion
07-29-2007, 02:35 PM
That would have been very aggressive, and MS would have kept the lead over Nintendo for sure. With $50, I think they sell neck-and-neck with the Wii through the rest of the year.

MS could still add a bundle though, with some game or an extra controller to sweeten the deal. It wouldn't cost them that much extra to do so, but along with a $50 drop it will move consoles.

:lol: The only reason its even close is because MS had a head start and Nintendo can't keep up with demand. Wii has been dominating the sales charts for quite awhile.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-29-2007, 03:59 PM
:lol: The only reason its even close is because MS had a head start and Nintendo can't keep up with demand. Wii has been dominating the sales charts for quite awhile.

It's a $400 system versus a very casual gamer friendly $250 one. Price really matters to casual gamers. I'm just saying that MS could maintain a lead overall if they dropped $100.

Props to Nintendo for cornering the casual market, but as a hardcore gamer, there is very little I want to play on the Wii. As a secondary system, it would be fine.

If the Wii continues to fly off shelves, what is the lesson here? That gamers want basic graphics? Simple games? HDTV support doesn't matter?

Or that price is the #1 factor for many buyers?

Motion
07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
It's a $400 system versus a very casual gamer friendly $250 one. Price really matters to casual gamers. I'm just saying that MS could maintain a lead overall if they dropped $100.

Props to Nintendo for cornering the casual market, but as a hardcore gamer, there is very little I want to play on the Wii. As a secondary system, it would be fine.

If the Wii continues to fly off shelves, what is the lesson here? That gamers want basic graphics? Simple games? HDTV support doesn't matter?

I don't think its that easy. I think the Wii has the advantage that the system appeals to many more people than just "hardcore" gamers. Even with a price drop Wii will be passing the 360 in no time IMO.

muscle979
07-29-2007, 06:05 PM

Possibly the lesson is that a lot of younger kids still want to play video games. Kids without money have to rely on their parents to buy their consoles. Which one do you think they'll go for? 250, 400, or 500?

Lukin
07-29-2007, 06:47 PM

I think its a combination of factors. Definitely the price has a lot to do with it. But also the whole motion control thing interests a lot of people. Nintendo has just done an excellent job of marketing this thing to appeal to a lot of people. I know people that have never played video games before that are talking about how they've played Wiis and want to buy one. And fact the games are so simple doesn't scare them away. But whether or not this wave of enthusiasm continues, only time will tell.

IMO, if Nintendo wants to ensure long term success for the Wii, they will eventually have to target the more serious gamers, which means building a large catalogue of great, innovative games.

Desides
07-29-2007, 07:17 PM

The lesson is that fads can fuel sales. I doubt most of the non-gamers who bought a Wii based on the hype and Wii Sports footage even touch the thing any longer.

Medieval954
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Don't cater specifically to the hardcore gamer while overpricing your console out of the reach of the average American consumer.

Possibly the lesson is that a lot of younger kids still want to play video games. Kids without money have to rely on their parents to buy their consoles. Which one do you think they'll go for? 250, 400, or 500?

If you think the Wii is being sold and catered to children, you haven't been paying attention to the video game industry for the past year.

The lesson is that fads can fuel sales. I doubt most of the non-gamers who bought a Wii based on the hype and Wii Sports footage even touch the thing any longer.

The "fad" has been sold out 8 months running heading into the holiday season. Any idea when this "fad" is supposed to run out?

dolphan117
07-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Ding, ding, ding.

He explained that much of the thinking behind the Wii came from trying to imagine what would convince mothers to buy a console for their kids - "We talked about basic concepts and goals, not about the technical specifications of the console.http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21162

Motion
07-29-2007, 09:07 PM

I'd bet heavily against that. People can refuse to give credit where it is due all they want and continue to claim its "just a fad" but the sales numbers speak for themselves and aren't showing any signs of slowing.

SpurzN703
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
If PS3 was 249.99 I would've bought it in a second. Same goes for the Premium or Elite 360.

Money is totally what drives me when it comes to video games. Graphics are a helluva bonus as are all the extra accessories that come with them. But money rules when you have 93 bills to pay for each month

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
If PS3 was 249.99 I would've bought it in a second. Same goes for the Premium or Elite 360.

Money is totally what drives me when it comes to video games. Graphics are a helluva bonus as are all the extra accessories that come with them. But money rules when you have 93 bills to pay for each month

93?!?! How many baby mama's do you have?

SpurzN703
07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
93?!?! How many baby mama's do you have?

I see you have met my friend Senor Sarcasm :wink:

mor911
07-30-2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Medieval954
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Even more proof.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/08/67gpsa1-1.jpg

$30 off the Elite
$50 off the Premium (with free copy of Rockstar's Table Tennis)
$20 off the Core

So everyone wanting a $100 price drop, there you go. 30+50+20=100 :goof:

Motion
08-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Wonder how much the Halo package will sell for?

Deus Ex Dolphin
08-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Wonder how much the Halo package will sell for?

I'm guessing $379 or $399. I wish it had more than the 20 GB HD though, since the 120 GB HD won't match if you upgrade.

dolphan117
08-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Dammit! Only $30 of the elite? That blows. :nono: