PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar working on big budget PS3 Exclusive "Franchise"

Phinz420
07-28-2007, 06:59 AM
This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead (http://www.spiketv.com/index.html?dl=shows/ss/sid=5/t=ss) with Geoff Keighley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Keighley), we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games (http://www.rockstargames.com/) will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto (http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto/), we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire (http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/), but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software (http://www.take2games.com/)that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

Interesting to say the least. I cant even begin to guess what genre the new franchise will be.

Bruzer
07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Neither can I ... I really want to know now lol

HysterikiLL
07-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Rockstar are hit or miss. GTA = awesome.

But wtf were they thinking with a game about bullies, or professional ping pong? :confused:

Bruzer
07-28-2007, 07:56 AM

But wtf were they thinking with a game about bullies, or professional ping pong? :confused:

Bully may not be great but I gotta give rockstar credit because it is a creative idea. So I am looking for some creative with this new franchise.

HysterikiLL
07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah, it's creative. So is taking a dump on a police officer's front porch, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Bruzer
07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah, it's creative. So is taking a dump on a police officer's front porch, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

Your not getting my point what I am saying is we can expect something new from rockstar and thats exciting not some rehash of another idea.

muscle979
07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
This is exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.

Megatron
07-28-2007, 11:38 AM
This must be tied to the GTA thing, I can't see how it's not.

Medieval954
07-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmmm.

SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue, "We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Sounds a little bit like sour grapes from getting outbid by Microsoft for DLC for Grand Theft Auto IV.

Anyway, I am intrigued as to what Rockstar has in mind for the PS3. They have put out good stuff that isn't GTA related (Bully, Red Dead Revolver, Manhunt, Smuggler's Run, The Warriors, etc.), so getting an exclusive from them is a big deal. I love that it's a new IP too, this industry can use a few more of those. Good job Sony.

Brown42000
07-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I can't even imagine what it will look like now that a company will take full adavantage of the PS3 technology.

mor911
07-28-2007, 02:50 PM
i agree with Rockstar being iffy. Besides the GTA franchise, everything else has been average at best. State of Emergency being the prime example that even Rockstar can suck.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
i agree with Rockstar being iffy. Besides the GTA franchise, everything else has been average at best. State of Emergency being the prime example that even Rockstar can suck.

Indeed. Always good to see new ideas or original games. However, we all remember when State of Emergency was the "next big franchise" right? :lol:

Great for Sony they get an exclusive, but if the game bites it won't help the PS3 at all. Given the track record of Rockstar games OTHER than GTA? I wouldn't rush out and get a PS3 just yet...

Phinz420
07-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds a little bit like sour grapes from getting outbid by Microsoft for DLC for Grand Theft Auto IV.

Anyway, I am intrigued as to what Rockstar has in mind for the PS3. They have put out good stuff that isn't GTA related (Bully, Red Dead Revolver, Manhunt, Smuggler's Run, The Warriors, etc.), so getting an exclusive from them is a big deal. I love that it's a new IP too, this industry can use a few more of those. Good job Sony.

I think thats jumping the gun a bit to assume that this is connected in some way to GTA4 DLC. In all honesty, GTA4 DLC will not be a "console mover" which is exactly what Sony is desperate for(even if this franchise is a long time out). A new huge budget franchise which is supposedly going to tap deeply into the potential of the PS3 could do just that.

It seems like it has more to do with losing the GTA franchise as an exclusive and not really much to do with the DLC.

Medieval954
07-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I think thats jumping the gun a bit to assume that this is connected in some way to GTA4 DLC. In all honesty, GTA4 DLC will not be a "console mover" which is exactly what Sony is desperate for(even if this franchise is a long time out). A new huge budget franchise which is supposedly going to tap deeply into the potential of the PS3 could do just that.

It seems like it has more to do with losing the GTA franchise as an exclusive and not really much to do with the DLC.

That's a possible theory but I don't see how Rockstar could get to a 50 million dollar price tag for Grand Theft Auto IV DLC without some sort of internal bidding war between Sony and Microsoft. That is a ridiculous sum of money for a video game budget in general, let alone DLC.

What's kind of funny is that Rockstar could be using the 50 million they got from Microsoft to fund the PS3 exclusive game. :lol:

Phin-o-rama
07-28-2007, 07:35 PM
table tennis on 360 rocked!!!

(seriously i kinda liked it)

Phinz420
07-28-2007, 08:09 PM
That's a possible theory but I don't see how Rockstar could get to a 50 million dollar price tag for Grand Theft Auto IV DLC without some sort of internal bidding war between Sony and Microsoft. That is a ridiculous sum of money for a video game budget in general, let alone DLC.

What's kind of funny is that Rockstar could be using the 50 million they got from Microsoft to fund the PS3 exclusive game. :lol:

Oh, Im sure that Sony was very interested in DLC for GTA4. But when you think about what Sony needs more, is it extra content for a game that is coming out on both consoles, or another huge exclusive to add to their list? Not only that, but for this to be the first PS3 game being touted as tapping into the potential of the Cell processor, this kind of release is long overdue.

Sure, sony is going to miss out on quite a bit of profit they would have made from GTA4 gamers. But when comparing that to the potential profits they could make from not only the sales of this new title itself, but also the potential consoles that the game could sell if it turns out to be great- I think sony could be in the right position on that front.

Miami 13
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Both Bully and Rockstar's Table Tennis got great reviews....

From GamRankings.com

Rockstar's Table Tennis: 83%
Bully: 87%

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh, Im sure that Sony was very interested in DLC for GTA4. But when you think about what Sony needs more, is it extra content for a game that is coming out on both consoles, or another huge exclusive to add to their list? Not only that, but for this to be the first PS3 game being touted as tapping into the potential of the Cell processor, this kind of release is long overdue.

Sure, sony is going to miss out on quite a bit of profit they would have made from GTA4 gamers. But when comparing that to the potential profits they could make from not only the sales of this new title itself, but also the potential consoles that the game could sell if it turns out to be great- I think sony could be in the right position on that front.

Wait, so Sony is smarter by betting on this unknown game? What if it isn't a "huge exclusive" for the PS3? What if it really doesn't push the PS3? I remember EA telling me, and showing me screens, that Madden 06 would do just that. :lol: Or was it Madden 07? Either way, it's easy to promise to push hardware.

No other Rockstar game will convince gamers to buys systems just to play THAT game, other than GTA. That could change, but history says bet on the proven IP.

MS took the "safe bet" on GTA4 and Sony is taking the "long shot" with some new game.

BTW, when is this game coming out? Late 2008? 2009? Sony needs games RIGHT NOW, as the promise of some new game will only move a handful of gamers to rush out and get a PS3.

Scatman
07-28-2007, 10:41 PM
im guessin its a sandbox game....... maybe even bully 2

FinsNCanes
07-29-2007, 01:30 PM
A Wild West style of GTA could be fun..

Jackin peoples horses and ****.

Medieval954
07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
im guessin its a sandbox game....... maybe even bully 2

I'd love to see a Bully 2, but the blog said it's a brand new franchise.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/92236457785frontft0-1.jpg

muscle979
07-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Red dead revolver was a lot of fun. Maybe a hybrid between that and GTA would be what they're looking for. I'd play it.

Motion
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd love to see a Bully 2, but the blog said it's a brand new franchise.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/92236457785frontft0-1.jpg

I loved Gun. If it was a little more in depth and longer it would definitely be one of my all time favorites.

TheMageGandalf
07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I can't even imagine what it will look like now that a company will take full adavantage of the PS3 technology.

Something a little better than Motorstorm and faster running games (60 fps rather than 30).

Thats about it being that a system is only as good as its bottle necks and the memory and 'video card' on the PS3 are the main bottle necks to the CELL.

I expect the next generation to be mind blowing. I think we have pretty much seen what this one will produce already, maybe slightly better, but not by a lot.

muscle979
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Something a little better than Motorstorm and faster running games (60 fps rather than 30).

Thats about it being that a system is only as good as its bottle necks and the memory and 'video card' on the PS3 are the main bottle necks to the CELL.

I expect the next generation to be mind blowing. I think we have pretty much seen what this one will produce already, maybe slightly better, but not by a lot.

I can't think of any console where you saw it's best less than a year into it's life cycle. I highly doubt we've seen the best of what PS3 or 360 is capable of. Check out an early PS2 game and a late one and you'll see a significant difference. Go way back and think of the difference between Super Mario 3 and the two before it.

Mike13
07-29-2007, 04:23 PM
"Beat the **** out of Rush Limbaugh" is what the new game is going to be called.

Scatman
07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
dude i weant bully 2

FinsNCanes
07-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Bleh.

Bully was weak. Didn't like it much. I just rented Overlord, seems like it's good fun, haven't gotten into it much yet though.

Motion
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I can't think of any console where you saw it's best less than a year into it's life cycle. I highly doubt we've seen the best of what PS3 or 360 is capable of. Check out an early PS2 game and a late one and you'll see a significant difference. Go way back and think of the difference between Super Mario 3 and the two before it.

:yeahthat:

I think its a little ridiculous to even suggest we've seen the best of this generation so early.

Phinz420
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Wait, so Sony is smarter by betting on this unknown game? What if it isn't a "huge exclusive" for the PS3? What if it really doesn't push the PS3? I remember EA telling me, and showing me screens, that Madden 06 would do just that. :lol: Or was it Madden 07? Either way, it's easy to promise to push hardware.

They are smart because the potential profit of a new title(which has a huge budget) far exceeds what the downloaded content would bring in, especially considering the cost of what it would have taken to outbid MS for it. Big budgets DO make a big difference if the right developers are behind it. One example would be World of Warcraft, Blizzard put an insane budget behind it which even drew criticism from other MMO companies, and look how that turned out.

No other Rockstar game will convince gamers to buys systems just to play THAT game, other than GTA. That could change, but history says bet on the proven IP.
GTA is on both systems period. You will not see people going out to buy a 360 over a PS3 simply because of downloadable content. For many people, the blue ray player is far more than enough to not even consider taking the 360 simply because of some extra content in GTA4. Also, you cannot compare games like Bully to what this will be, since that was a multi platform title without a big budget. I do not know if this game will be spectacular, but I think with how rockstar is approaching it, it very well could be a huge console mover by the time it is released(which could be forever..)

MS took the "safe bet" on GTA4 and Sony is taking the "long shot" with some new game.
So the safe bet is spending 50M on downloadable content which you wont be able to charge standard full price of software? Riiiighhttt.

BTW, when is this game coming out? Late 2008? 2009? Sony needs games RIGHT NOW, as the promise of some new game will only move a handful of gamers to rush out and get a PS3.I know this, and I never said that this was going to be some kind of gamebreaker for Sony in the ridiculous & assenine "console wars". However, from a long time fan of Rockstar(I bought GTA London the day it came out for the PC), I have my faith well placed in that I think this is going to be a great title. You come off sounding sour over this topic, and all I have said is that there is high hopes for this game for a good reason. Even without knowing the genre or what it's about, the plans are already in place for a blockbuster exclusive.

Once again, DLC for GTA4 wont move consoles. A new blockbuster franchise from Rockstar with a huge budget behind it taking advantage of the PS3's architecture(which BTW Madden 06 or whatever you said was multiplatform...and by EA) has a good chance to move consoles in the same way that Gears of War & Resistance have already done with their respective consoles. Extra, cheaper content for a game that will be on both consoles is not going to do anything like that.

Scatman
07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
:yeahthat:

I think its a little ridiculous to even suggest we've seen the best of this generation so early.

yup..itll at least be a couple years.

muscle979
07-29-2007, 06:03 PM

BTW, when is this game coming out? Late 2008? 2009? Sony needs games RIGHT NOW, as the promise of some new game will only move a handful of gamers to rush out and get a PS3.

Yeah you're right, people buy systems b/c of a couple of extra downloadable levels, not for the games themselves. :rolleyes: This is a good move by Sony, if you want to win big you have to take a risk. A great new game will bring far more people over than a couple of extra levels. Seriously, just go start a "the xbox 360 is the greatest console in the history of the universe" thread and be done with it.

SKing29
07-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah you're right, people buy systems b/c of a couple of extra downloadable levels, not for the games themselves. :rolleyes: This is a good move by Sony, if you want to win big you have to take a risk. A great new game will bring far more people over than a couple of extra levels. Seriously, just go start a "the xbox 360 is the greatest console in the history of the universe" thread and be done with it.

Well I have to say that Sony taking a big risk could pay off big but it really could bomb out. Like someone said before if this game takes a year or so to launch, its going to take a lot of hype to keep gamers interested and who is to say that during that time Microsoft or Nintendo won't come out with the next great app or game that could blow this whole idea out of the water. Plus the game could very well turn out to be a dud. So with the huge time gap it will take to get this game out and the fact that it may not be as great as promised, I don't see how this is going to be such a great marketing ploy for Sony. I get the huge risk huge reward argument but time and competition may due the game in before its even launched.

Medieval954
07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't think DLC alone will help people choose which console to buy to play Grand Theft Auto IV, but a $150 price difference between the two consoles the game is appearing on will. The DLC is sort of icing on the cake for fans of the franchise.

Whether Sony can make that up in a couple years when Rockstar's new IP hits the PS3 remains to be seen. But I wouldn't hold my breath as Microsoft and especially Nintendo continue to build worldwide marketshare.

Deus Ex Dolphin
07-29-2007, 10:53 PM

As with so many things, time will tell. MS paid for "major" GTA4 downloads, but details are scarce right now. Maybe Rockstar took MS for a $50 million ride? If they get a couple Oblivion "Shivering Isles" size downloads out of the deal, then yeah, it was worth it.

Why are you assuming this PS3 exclusive will be a great game? Are most games great? No. Are most even good? No. A franchise with a proven track record increases those odds, but a new game is a gamble.

A gamble that needs to be taken certainly, but at best you can be... hopeful about this game.. that lacks a name and any details right now.

As was mentioned, price will play an important role for many GTA fans. Get the 360 verison for $150 less, plus the promise of downloads, or get the PS3 limited version for $150 more.

Did I mention the Achievement points for the 360 version? :D It really does add to your gaming satisfaction.

At the end of the day, MS has paid for the better version of GTA4, while the PS3 has a promised exlcusive coming (in 2-3 years?) that MIGHT be great.

BTW, does Sony pay for exclusives or not? I'm confused about that. Jack says they don't, but is Rockstar doing this just out of love for Sony? :lol:

muscle979
07-30-2007, 06:11 PM
As with so many things, time will tell. MS paid for "major" GTA4 downloads, but details are scarce right now. Maybe Rockstar took MS for a $50 million ride? If they get a couple Oblivion "Shivering Isles" size downloads out of the deal, then yeah, it was worth it.

Why are you assuming this PS3 exclusive will be a great game? Are most games great? No. Are most even good? No. A franchise with a proven track record increases those odds, but a new game is a gamble.

A gamble that needs to be taken certainly, but at best you can be... hopeful about this game.. that lacks a name and any details right now.

As was mentioned, price will play an important role for many GTA fans. Get the 360 verison for $150 less, plus the promise of downloads, or get the PS3 limited version for $150 more.

Did I mention the Achievement points for the 360 version? :D It really does add to your gaming satisfaction.

At the end of the day, MS has paid for the better version of GTA4, while the PS3 has a promised exlcusive coming (in 2-3 years?) that MIGHT be great.

BTW, does Sony pay for exclusives or not? I'm confused about that. Jack says they don't, but is Rockstar doing this just out of love for Sony? :lol:

Obviously I don't know if it will be great, I'm just saying that this is a gamble worth taking for Sony. I doubt it will take 2 to 3 years to see the game. Sony got off to a late start with PS3, this could help them catch up. Even if it fails it's not likely going to sink the PS brand or anything. As far as the downloadable content, I don't think I'd bother getting into a bidding war with a company owned by the richest man in the world either.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo do not always pay for exclusives. Sometimes it is the decision of the company itself. If what Sony said was true then they probably were negotiating all of the support that Sony would give Rockstar and other things like advertising. If what is said about the Cell is true then they are trying to develop things that cannot be done on the 360.