PDA

View Full Version : Which AFC East RB would you Choose?(Not a bash Ronnie thread)

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:13 PM
If you could choose one runningback from the 4 AFC East teams to have on your team which one would have you have and why? I think the AFC East some good runners but none have really proven much toting the rock primarily because they are young and or split carries. I was curious to ask because me and a couple of the guys in the neighborhood were debating this same issue yesterday. Have at it people....

madisonfan90
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I would go with Ricky hes proven and can carry the load, and dont anybody say he isnt on the team, go to nfl.com hes on the teams suspended list.

rdhstlr23
07-30-2007, 04:17 PM
he's not on the team...if he is where is he? If he's reinstated he'll be immediately released. He will never wear a Fins uniform again.

Move?

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
he's not on the team...if he is where is he? If he's reinstated he'll be immediately released. He will never wear a Fins uniform again.

Move?

What my thread? Why? It's Dolphins related and it's not spam. It's not a bash Ronnie thread as i stated at the title of the thread so why move it? :confused:

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I would go with Ricky hes proven and can carry the load, and dont anybody say he isnt on the team, go to nfl.com hes on the teams suspended list.

Who?????????????????????????????? This is a thread about NFL running backs

madisonfan90
07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Move?
Yeah hes not really on the team but hes still on the team, get what im sayin?

CitizenSnips
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Right now, Thomas Jones. He's the most proven one right now, and he's certainly talented. However, both Maroney and Brown have the opportunity to prove they can handle being the star backs on their respective teams this year.

As a personal fan of Ronnie Brown, i'm hoping for the best.

rdhstlr23
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
What my thread? Why? It's Dolphins related and it's not spam. It's not a bash Ronnie thread as i stated at the title of the thread so why move it? :confused:

I'm not saying you're bashing Ronnie. If you were it'd still be more appropriate in the main forum than this discussion. This is more towards AFC East RunningBacks as the thread title states. Plus, we already have two of them in the AFC East forum. You should go check them out, they are pretty good discussions. Nothing wrong with the topic, just the wrong forum.

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Right now, Thomas Jones. He's the most proven one right now, and he's certainly talented. However, both Maroney and Brown have the opportunity to prove they can handle being the star backs on their respective teams this year.

That's what one of the guys said basically. He is the most proven back out of them but also has the most years out of all them as well.

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying you're bashing Ronnie. If you were it'd still be more appropriate in the main forum than this discussion. This is more towards AFC East RunningBacks as the thread title states. Plus, we already have two of them in the AFC East forum. You should go check them out, they are pretty good discussions. Nothing wrong with the topic, just the wrong forum.

ahhhh, i see. Thanks for pointing that out.

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM

He was referring to Madisons90 Ricky post i think...There's nothing wrong with the thread.

I dont know who I would pick. Put Lawrence Maroney's speed in Ronnie Brown and you have a perfect back

Crypt Keeper
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I would go Thomas Jones 1a and Ronnie Brown 1b. Though after this season, I think Ronnie will move into the #1 spot without question. This is his breakout year.

New England and Buffalo have big question marks at running back right now.

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
He was referring to Madisons90 Ricky post i think...There's nothing wrong with the thread.

I dont know who I would pick. Put Lawrence Maroney's speed in Ronnie Brown and you have a perfect back

Put Lawrence Maroney's moves in Browns body you got a battering ram that can move, Steven Jackson esque if you will.

jp2lee783
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Thomas Jones, even if Ricky was at camp I don't think most people realize what an impact that long of an absence from the NFL has on a player.

Brown42000
07-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I would go with Ronnie mainly because Jones has only proven himself in Chicago. But when Ricky is playing he is a top 5 running back and it always pains me to think he wasted all that talent.

BwanaZulia
07-30-2007, 04:34 PM

Not surprisingly I agree. :)

Jones was a huge pick up for us and our line stays solid could produce the best running since CM in 2004.

BZ

Al13
07-30-2007, 04:35 PM
in the afc east i stay with ronnie easily

madisonfan90
07-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I would go with Ronnie mainly because Jones has only proven himself in Chicago. But when Ricky is playing he is a top 5 running back and it always pains me to think he wasted all that talent.
Its kinda depressing in a way. He was a weapon of Tomlinsons caliber maybe even better and he left it all to be a bum. Really sad story.

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm going to get flamed for this but I'm going to go with Lawrence Maroney only because i think he has the highest ceiling of potential in a runningback. He's got moves you can't really teach and he's got a nasty first cut.

CammyCamCam
07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w0cNxbr4R2I

I love it, first player he runs over is Jason Allen. Song selection fits perfectly too, we NEED to get this chant going at games- it would be sick to hear the whole stadium chanting this as RB plows over people.

dlockz
07-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I will take Maroney from NE based on he will not cost as much and he seems a very talented back. Valuewise I take him. Ronnie is a good back but already makes elite back money based on him being the number 2 pick and I would spend that extra money on the line.

KTOWNFINFAN
07-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Why is everyone so high on Jones?? He has never impressed me. If you look at his stats there is nothing that jumps off the page. Ronnie has averaged EVERY year more than Thomas has for his entire career. Thomas has been in the league for 7 years and has three times averaged under 4.0 ypc, twice under 3.5. If you take away the big year he had at Tampa he would have a sub 4 career average. Ronnie on the other hand has had what most in the NFL would consider the single worst OL in the league and has averaged better than 4 every year?? I just don't see how you can make a case for anyone over Ronnie in the East. And go back and check my threads when we got him, I am not a big Ronnie fan, but I just don't think there is a better back in the East.

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Put Lawrence Maroney's moves in Browns body you got a battering ram that can move, Steven Jackson esque if you will.

Yes, thats what I meant. Although if ricky was on our team I would take him over any back in the AFCE

emocomputerjock
07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I will take Lynch from Buffalo based on he will not cost as much and he seems a very talented back. Valuewise I take him.

Lynch stands to make about 10 mil less than Ronnie over the course of their contracts. If we're talking value, it's Booker.

HybridPHIN 23
07-30-2007, 05:01 PM
i'm a jones fan (or was).... but no way would i take him over Ronnie....Jones is injured every single season and has never carried a load or been consistent. Maroney showed alot of promise and Lynch should be good... but none have near the skill-set ronnie has..... Easy question IMO.... so far.

i really think you'd hafta be clueless to take any of em over Ronnie.

guys like jones, lynch, and maroney come around every year..... Ronnie is a rare specimen.

Brown42000
07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w0cNxbr4R2I

I love it, first player he runs over is Jason Allen. Song selection fits perfectly too, we NEED to get this chant going at games- it would be sick to hear the whole stadium chanting this as RB plows over people.
That would be great to hear the whole stadium chanting that but that kind of stuff only happens in the movies.

BwanaZulia
07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
It shouldn't baffle you...

Jones:
2005: 1,335 - 4.3
2006: 1,210 -4.1

Brown:
2005: 907 - 4.4
2006: 1,008 - 4.2

Give me the guy who puts up almost 300 more yards on average and still averages out at a 4.2 YPC.

Thanks.
BZ

dlockz
07-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Lynch stands to make about 10 mil less than Ronnie over the course of their contracts. If we're talking value, it's Booker.

Actually i meant Maroney, Booker hasnt proved anything since the high school level, I do like him but not as my featured back.

dlockz
07-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Give me the guy who puts up almost 300 more yards on average and still averages out at a 4.2 YPC.

Thanks.
BZ

The biggest mistake that TB made was not resigning this guy.

emocomputerjock
07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Actually i meant Maroney, Booker hasnt proved anything since the high school level, I do like him but not as my featured back.

Maroney isn't bad at all. I'm not sure if his shoulder is going to prove to be an issue or not, but he certainly isn't bad.

Crypt Keeper
07-30-2007, 05:05 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Thanks.
BZ
Ronnie would put up those same numbers(maybe even better) if he had the carries Jones did. Those yard numbers don't tell the whole story. Jones averaged 81 more carries a season the past two years.

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Thanks.
BZ

Yes but Jones is comin on the downside of his career and Ronnie hasnt even hit his prime yet. If ronnie had the line jones had in chicago he would be averaging 5 yards a pop

DRNEWBEE
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Ronnie B. Hands down. Then Thomas Jones or Maroney.

emocomputerjock
07-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Thanks.
BZ

Give you the guy who manages a worse YPC on more carries behind a better line? Sure thing, sucker.

The Aqua Crush
07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
At this point i'd take Ronnie in a heartbeat. Marooney second. Lynch i'll have to wait to have an opinion on him.

dlockz
07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Ronnie would put up those same numbers(maybe even better) if he had the carries Jones did. Those yard numbers don't tell the whole story. Jones averaged 81 more carries a season the past two years.

I think Jones is a very underrated back and he does have some talent taking some carries from him in cedric Benson. At this point I give Jones the advantage because of what he has accomplished but Ronnie should have much more upside.

CammyCamCam
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
That would be great to hear the whole stadium chanting that but that kind of stuff only happens in the movies.

They chant in soccer stadiums all over Europe, but youre probably right. The best football chant I have ever heard has been simply "LT! LT! LT!" at chargers games. LOL, pretty pathetic we cant come up with better chants than that. Im interested in seeing if any good chants go on in the London game. Even if I can't get tickets to the game Im about to go to London to watch it at a bar being I will be in Barcelona next semester. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW I CAN GET A TICKET PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT!

BwanaZulia
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
The reason they don't give the ball to Ronnie more is A) he is hurt and B) he can't handle it.

It is understandable why you wouldn't pick a rival team RB and we shall see what this and the next season brings.

Of course, we had NO RB last year and still were able to beat the Dolphins twice so...

BZ

HybridPHIN 23
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Thanks.
BZ

hardly makes sense ??? how can you ignore # of carries and compare by total yardage when the YPC is right in your face??? All your proving is that Ronnie was more successful only he had less oppurtunities.... Your also comparing Ronnies 1st 2 years (in a bad offense) to Jones in his prime (on a contending team)..... If i really was a GM.... i'd take all 3 before Jones because he's almost 30 if not older and injury prone.... even a 2nd was a hefty price to pay for him.....the other 3 would command 1sts easily.

Brown42000
07-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Maroney to me is a bit of a question mark because towards the end of last season he was non-existant and he had most of his success after Dillon wore defenses down and he also injured his back which kept him out and an injured back could destroy a career.

NJFINSFAN1
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Boy

I like Brown better than Jones, he has more talent, but Maroney intrigues me, I just might be tempted to pick him. That kid seems to have that something special.

Kadiddlehopper
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Lorenzo Booker.

Brown42000
The reason they don't give the ball to Ronnie more is A) he is hurt and B) he can't handle it.

It is understandable why you wouldn't pick a rival team RB and we shall see what this and the next season brings.

Of course, we had NO RB last year and still were able to beat the Dolphins twice so...

BZ
Last season he didn't get the ball more because Mularkey didn't what the hell he was doing, there were plenty of games when Ronnie was having great success and then Mularkey would call pass plays for two series straight. He will have great success when given the carries.

HybridPHIN 23
Boy

I like Brown better than Jones, he has more talent, but Maroney intrigues me, I just might be tempted to pick him. That kid seems to have that something special.

i think it's blocking. :D

emocomputerjock
07-30-2007, 05:17 PM

BZ

In spite of Ronnie Brown crushing the Jets for a 5.9 YPC for 237 yards. Wonder if Joey Harrington's two turnovers and 64.5 rating had anything to do with it. Nah.

PhinFan0202
07-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Boy

That's what i said. The guy is a straight up stud when he gets moving. He tore up defenses throughout his senior year at Minnesota and i was suprised he went where he did in the draft. If he went a year before with the production he had his senior he would have been a top 10 pick.

Crypt Keeper

BZ
First off, I did give Jones the edge over Brown earlier in the thread. I am just trying to show you that the two are not all that different.

Saban didn't give him the ball, because the Dolphins were usually losing. You pass when you are losing, so the carries go down. Ronnie can handle the load, Saban just didn't like to give it to him. It isn't like his backups were always coming in, Ronnie was always on the field, but it was usually a passing play.

To start the season, I give the edge to Jones. But as others have pointed out, Ronnie hasn't reached his peak yet, while Jones already was there. Jones may only have a few more years left.

musphinzfan
Ronnie Brown although TJ and Maronney are quality backs...Brown just needs to practice on his top end speed.

HybridPHIN 23
07-30-2007, 05:20 PM

BZ

you've just shown how limited your knowledge of the fins is.... the highlighted is complete nonsense!!!... we're not stupid enough to listen to opposing fans who make things up about our team.

CitizenSnips
07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Alright, again i said Thomas Jones is the best RIGHT NOW

However, i didn't expect the jets fan who agreed with me to come on and flame Ronnie Brown. I expect Ronnie Brown to be 10x's better than Thomas Jones when he's entering his Ninth year in the league.

If you want a true comparison, how about we compare Thomas Jone's first two years in the league to Ronnies first two:

Thomas Jones: 2001 (Rookie Year)
112 carries. 373 yards 2 tds.
2002 (2nd year)
112 carries. 380 yards 5 tds.

Ronnie Brown 2005 (rookie year)
207 carries 907 yards 4 tds.
2006 (2nd year)
241 carries, 1008 yards. 5 tds

Like i said, if i had to pick a Running back in the AFC east this year, i would go with the 9 year Vet.

However, when it's all said and done, Ronnie's going to be the better running back.

EDIT: Oh, and before anyone goes and says Ronnie was drafted much higher, truth is, he wasn't. Thomas Jones was taken #7 overall by Arizona in 2000.

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Boy

LIke a broken shoulder..(Or whatever that injury is)

NJFINSFAN1
07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
LIke a broken shoulder..(Or whatever that injury is)

Brown has had his share of injuries also.

dolpns13
07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Brown has had his share of injuries also.

good point :unsure:

jdang307
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Jones:

Brown:

Thanks.
BZHmm, you forgot something.

Brown 2006 - 33 rec, 276 yards.
Jones 2006 - 36 rec, 154 yards.

Totals:
Brown 1284 All purpose yards
Jones 1364 all purpose yards.

Jones, 80 more APY, 3 extra receptions, 55 more carries. Jones traded away, downside of his career? Speculation of course. With Brown being under-utilized last year, I'll take Brown (Jones is good though, nobody is denying that).

This doesn't answer the original question, but Jones/Washington vs. Brown/Booker may be interesting. Booker being an unknown quality but this year shall be fun watching the two pairs.

nyjunc
07-31-2007, 05:06 AM
Going into 2007 I take Thomas Jones BUT Brown, Mauroney and Lynch all have the ability to be better than him.

BwanaZulia
07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
nyjunc, said it better than I did (as he most often does), if you were going to pick a RB for this and next year, I think Jones is the way to go based on his most recent production.

Brown and Maroney could have huge upside but for a workhorse RB in the 2007 season, I would (and thankfully have) take Jones.

The nice thing to offset Jones is Leon Washington who has the speed and agility to break a play every time he gets the ball (like against the Dolphins on December 25th, 2006.)

BZ

JIVE
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Maroney to me is a bit of a question mark because towards the end of last season he was non-existant and he had most of his success after Dillon wore defenses down and he also injured his back which kept him out and an injured back could destroy a career.

He injured his shoulder and ribs which is why he disappeared somewhat in the latter part of the season. He was much more tentative because of it but he still provided the home run hit to seal victories and averaged 4.2 YPC in November and December.

I am confident in his abilities the only question mark to me is if he can stay reasonably healthy.

And to answer the question I would take either Brown or Maroney. I like both a lot and feel they have more potential than Jones and I have to see Lynch play in the NFL before I form an opinion on him.

Jets81
07-31-2007, 06:12 PM
In the long run I'd probably take Brown given the choice of him or TJ, but I like Jones potential this year in the Jets system more then Browns in the Phins system. In other words, I expect TJ to have the better year.

WilforkU
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
No doubt..NO question... it has to be lawerence Maroney. He has so much potential its scary. He has Power , Speed, cut back ability.. He can be very top except Tomlinson. No one is better than him. And ronnie brown is nothing special.. YAWN...

PhinFan0202
07-31-2007, 11:37 PM
No doubt..NO question... it has to be lawerence Maroney. He has so much potential its scary. He has Power , Speed, cut back ability.. He can be very top except Tomlinson. No one is better than him. And ronnie brown is nothing special.. YAWN...

We will see this year. We wouldn't be picked 2nd overall if he was not anything special. Now i admit it was a weak draft class i wouldn't say he's nothing special.

JIVE
08-01-2007, 12:45 AM
We will see this year. We wouldn't be picked 2nd overall if he was not anything special. Now i admit it was a weak draft class i wouldn't say he's nothing special.

I would not say Brown is nothing special. His combination of sizr and speed alone is enough to turn heads.

I think people tend to think otherwise because his procuction hasn't been that of elite runners (mostly due to a lack of opportunity) and he doesn't seem to have those big, highlight reel plays. But make no mistake about--Ronnie Brown can play.

nyjunc
08-01-2007, 06:15 AM

Mauroney was brutal in the playoffs, as a pats fan that should worry you.

JIVE
08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Mauroney was brutal in the playoffs, as a pats fan that should worry you.

As said before he had a shoulder and rib injury. He wasn't at full strength. He wouldn't be the first rookie running back to run out of gas by the end of the season.

em31
08-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Well just to change things up a little.

How about the compensation pick for the Jets shipping Herman Edwards off to the Chiefs.... Leon Washington. I understand that some will think he is just the dreaded "change of pace" back but I am not so sure any more.

As a Jets fan I like the Thomas Jones move well enough I suppose. He was certainly an upgrade over Barlow, Blaylock and Houston and I especially liked it since his contract was very affordable and all he really cost was a swap of 2nd round picks. But Leon Washington was a complete shocker to the Jets last year and he got stronger as the year went by.

Of the official starters I think they are a solid group top to bottom, but by no means spectacular when you look around the league. I would rate those as very close but in the following sequence.

Maroney
Brown
Jones

Oh and Ricky Williams, healthy and on the field blows any one of those away and by a goodly margin.

BuffaloSoldier2
08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Honestly, I would go with Ronnie Brown because of youth and his all around abilities. That said, he still is a bust for a #2 pick. Not totally his fault (oline and health), but if a guy is picked that high, you want a warrior who can change games.

I'm a big fan of Thomas Jones and like that pickup. That said, he runs so hard that his tank may be emptying soon.

Lynch has proven anything yet but the Bills have tried to help by fixing the oline and getting another rb to take some carries. He has all the tools.

Maroney could be special but again, this is a guy who's never had to carry the load. That would make me nervous as a PAts fan.