PDA

View Full Version : So while Beck is steadily...

DJRoss
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
progressing in practice preparing himself to take the mantel of QB, Leader, field general.....

Brady Quinn is doing this: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008062090

Cam and company dodged a serious bullet here. I am sorry, but the frame of mind, attitude and general character of this individual would create a rift among the players vs the esprit de corp that Beck has already proven to bring to the Dolphins table. Beck is a team player to be sure. Quinn is all about Quinn. :err:

SpurzN703
07-31-2007, 12:24 PM
This Quinn **** will blow over eventually which'll then leave us left to evaluate him as a NFL QB. He could still prove that we made a mistake in passing him up.

bkbuffet
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
I know it's very early to tell for certain, but I would have to agree based upon what both have shown of themselves so far. Beck really seems to be showing himself as a very team first, hard working individual, who has shown accuracy and ability in TC so far. Quinn has shown that it's all about money, even though he got drafted by the team he wanted to play for the most, and has shown nothing of note in camp other than a few bad passes and a TO style ego.
Who knows. Quinn may end up with a TO style ability as well, but from what I've seen so far, Beck sure looks like the better deal!

Tony305
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
I wanted Quinn in the draft, but after hearing all the accuracy issues and the way offseason has been with him i'm liking Beck alot more.

FinsFan74
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Top 10 pick money!? Is he serious? He dropped for a reason, and it's probably good that we didn't take him because this not only affects one position. If we drafted Quinn, I don't think we would have ALL of our picks signed right now

SF Dolfan
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry Brady, you weren't a top 10 pick and if the Browns hadn't panicked and traded up, you could've been a second rounder. Take the market value contract with some incentives and prove yourself. If you're that good, you'll still have 2 big time contracts in your career.

On a side note, when espn keeps showing him throw in mini camp, his release is really inconsistent it comes off his hand very strangely sometimes, like he's palming the ball or something.

SF Dolfan
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
This Quinn **** will blow over eventually which'll then leave us left to evaluate him as a NFL QB. He could still prove that we made a mistake in passing him up.

Very true, but his stock has definitely continued to fall from the end of ND's season, to not throwing at the combine, to accuracy worries, to sliding in the draft and actually being lucky to get picked where he did, to bad mini-camp, to holding out for top 10 money when he was the #23 pick. There has been almost no positive news about him. Granted, people blow it up more than they should because he's the pretty boy, nd qb, but he's not exactly helping his cause w/ his early practices and his contract demands. I thought he was our pick, but I feel better and better about it as time passes. I also finally really watched him throw and I'm not sold.

AllianceCollect
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Cam and company dodged a serious bullet here. I am sorry, but the frame of mind, attitude and general character of this individual would create a rift among the players vs the esprit de corp that Beck has already proven to bring to the Dolphins table. Beck is a team player to be sure. Quinn is all about Quinn. :err:

Actually, had the Dolphins drafted him at number 9, there most likely wouldn't have been the issues involved with him being drafted at number 22. Although with the way he has been handling himself since the draft there still may have been issues getting him signed on time, especially with Wayne's line in the sand.

All I can say is Beck looks to be an awesome pick & Quinn only makes him look better & better.

BlueFin
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
At this time, I'm very happy choosing Ginn over Quinn, and Beck being the future here.

I have always thought, since I first heard that Cameron was quizzing the QB's to test their mental ability, that passing on Quinn was a clear indicator that he was less than impressed with Brady Quinn upstairs,

m i n o
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
one thing brady has to look forward to if signed is he will move from 22nd overall to #3 qb. thats a major improvement brady(sarcasm). i can just see him in the coaches office like a kid in the cereal isle when told he can't have it.

DJRoss
07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Top 10 pick money!? Is he serious? He dropped for a reason, and it's probably good that we didn't take him because this not only affects one position. If we drafted Quinn, I don't think we would have ALL of our picks signed right now

His selfish behavior would have made it impossible for Miami to have drafted a complete class the way they have. Even the UFA's cost money and trying to compete with a 40+ million contract with over half of that in guaranteed cash would have meant that Miami would have to rely on their defense with very little shoring amongst the graying veterans, and as far as offense is concerned, forget about it.

Another problem is chemistry. This quote in particular would worry me if I were coaching the team..."I'd love to be there competing for the starting job," Quinn told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "But it's a long contract, and I have to make sure it's fair in the event I become the starter."

coupled with his I'll be ready to go quip.

This is the team that Quinn supposedly has always wanted to play for, even as a little boy. Beck had always admired Ty Detmer as a kid growing up, and he even named his kid after Detmer for this reason. Beck had always wanted to play for BYU, and when he was recruited he didn't hesitate. Beck considered his offer from Miami an honor, and when he spoke about watching Marino play growing up you take it to heart. He can feel his sincerity. When you make claims of always wanting something and than you balk at the chance due to money issues (at this level it is ridiculous), than what you are really saying is that it is the money and not the chance to play that is your priority. All the blather about always wanting to play for the Browns is just that, blather.

What we reveal about ourselves through our actions speaks volumes concerning our character.

Finch83
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
I wanted Quinn in the draft, but after hearing all the accuracy issues and the way offseason has been with him i'm liking Beck alot more.

Thats kinda how I feel. If Quinn turns into a bust and Ginn is excellent(which I think he will be), I will eat all the crow Coach Cam wants me to. haha:lol:

FinsFanLuke
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
I have to agree. I seem to remember Matt Leinart holding out for more money thinking he was worth more than was offered given his draft position, and well, Matt's turning out pretty darn well.
Of course I want Beck to do better than Quinn but let's just see what happens. Don't get all worked up over the smallest thing that can be interpreted as the defining factor of why drafting Quinn was a mistake. Let's focus on the Fins.

DolphinsFan23
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
progressing in practice preparing himself to take the mantel of QB, Leader, field general.....

After reading this article about what it is like to be a bigtime QB, it looks like John has a lot of the attributes you look for.

"But it takes a special breed to be a great quarterback, with a unique mix of attributes. This is Tedford's five-part recruiting checklist when shopping for a QB:

1. Mental and physical toughness. "Obviously, physically, you're going to take a pounding, and you've got to get up and have your team follow you. You have to be mentally tough because if you throw a couple picks, you've got to be tough enough to come back."

2. Intelligence. "You've got to be able to understand and control the offense."

3. Competitiveness. "We look for a guy who wants the ball in his hands with the game on the line."

4. Escape dimension. "Not everything happens the way it's drawn up. We want a guy who can elude the rush and make something happen when a play breaks down."

5. Natural throwing motion. "He's got to be able to get the ball around the field."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2952849&sportCat=ncf

This is just for college QBs. You probably need to add about 5-10 more attributes in order to have a top NFL guy like Peyton Manning. You really do have to give the top QBs a lot of respect. Those guys seem to have the world on their shoulders every week.

I hope John is up for the challenge. From what I've heard about him, he is. He still has lots to learn but he strikes me as the kind of guy that will pick things up pretty quick. They say he already knows the playbook pretty darn well. His wife and other people are probably quizzing him when he least expects it all the time.

Being an NFL QB is a tough job. But ... if you're really good ... you might end up with a $100+ million fortune with bigtime endorsements, worldwide fame, streets named for you, etc. .... all that good stuff. The rewards are definitely there. You don't have to be a 1st round draft pick to get there either ... just ask 6th round draft pick, Tom Brady.

KISSjunky
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Quinn might become a better pro than Heath Shular....but I dought it. I was shocked when we didn't pick him but I am very excited to see Ted Ginn jr. signed and impressing in camp. Also glad to hear how good Beck looks in practice. (Green too for that matter)

FinsFan74
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
His selfish behavior would have made it impossible for Miami to have drafted a complete class the way they have. Even the UFA's cost money and trying to compete with a 40+ million contract with over half of that in guaranteed cash would have meant that Miami would have to rely on their defense with very little shoring amongst the graying veterans, and as far as offense is concerned, forget about it.

Another problem is chemistry. This quote in particular would worry me if I were coaching the team..."I'd love to be there competing for the starting job," Quinn told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "But it's a long contract, and I have to make sure it's fair in the event I become the starter."

coupled with his I'll be ready to go quip.

This is the team that Quinn supposedly has always wanted to play for, even as a little boy. Beck had always admired Ty Detmer as a kid growing up, and he even named his kid after Detmer for this reason. Beck had always wanted to play for BYU, and when he was recruited he didn't hesitate. Beck considered his offer from Miami an honor, and when he spoke about watching Marino play growing up you take it to heart. He can feel his sincerity. When you make claims of always wanting something and than you balk at the chance due to money issues (at this level it is ridiculous), than what you are really saying is that it is the money and not the chance to play that is your priority. All the blather about always wanting to play for the Browns is just that, blather.

What we reveal about ourselves through our actions speaks volumes concerning our character.
Couldn't have said it any better

1stDown
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM

Wait 3 years, and you will get your answer who will be the better QB.

Dfan06
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I have to agree. I seem to remember Matt Leinart holding out for more money thinking he was worth more than was offered given his draft position, and well, Matt's turning out pretty darn well.
Of course I want Beck to do better than Quinn but let's just see what happens. Don't get all worked up over the smallest thing that can be interpreted as the defining factor of why drafting Quinn was a mistake. Let's focus on the Fins.

Don't compare MAtt Leinart to Brady Quinn. Matt Actually deserved the money and he was suppose to be the 1 pick the previous draft. On the other hand if jamarcus russel stayed in college the raiders would have chosen Calvin Johnson which means Brady Q. Would have slid down anyways.

When it was draft time I wanted either Ginn or Quinn, but i didnt know much about Beck.

Roman529
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
I am sure that had we drafted Quinn at #9 he would have wanted top 3 money. The more I think about it, the happier I am that Randy and Cam passed on this Notre Dame turd. :)

SabanHater
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Well if we drafted him he would be getting top 10 money.
That's what this whole thing is about. You get paid where
you get drafted.

dolpns13
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM

I dont think you can really compare the 2 QB's. Leinart was most likely worth what he thought he was worth and his holdout can be more justified than Quinns. Lienart is a proven winner and also has proven that he not only can win games, but can win HUGE games. He is more of a leader than Quinn. What has Quinn proven?, that he can fold in games...During the draft I wanted Quinn, ill admit that, but since all this and hearing/reading more and more about his play and attitude, I am soooo glad we did not draft him..

As it stands right now we made the right choice in taking Beck as our QB instead of Quinn.

Take this scenario for example, say Beck played under Weis at ND instead of Quinn, I bet his numbers would be through the roof. May have been able to even win a championship there...who knows?!

TampaFinsFan01
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM

I am so sick of this line of reasoning.

Every player that we didn't pick (excepting the 8 that were off the board) could still prove we made a mistake by not picking him. That is an insane game to play.

If TG turns out to be a bust, then we shouldn't have picked him. If he turns out to be a difference player, we made the right move. If Beck turns out to be a bust, we shouldn't have picked him. If is an effective leader for this team for 8-9 years, it was genius.

Bottom line is Brady Quinn says nothing about us, good or bad, any more than Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker or anyone else we didn't pick.

The only team on the hook for Quinn is Cleveland, esp since they traded their first round pick to get him.

We didnt trade up for Quinn or pick another QB with him available. We picked another position altogether and he dropped another 13 spots.

This idea that we were somehow draft day dunces for not taking Quinn is nonsense. The idea that our draft is going to be measured by his future performance is nonsense on stilts.

We will be judged by the 8 or so players we picked...not the 200+ that we didn't.

LarryFinFan
07-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Oh, come on....stop with the Quinn/Beck crap...how can anyone tell, at this time, after what, 5 practices that Beck is the next Montana and Quinn is the next Akili Smith ??

They'll always be comparisons and who knows how it'll turn out right now...to bash Quinn because he's holding out is pure homerism...

FinNasty
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
And the sad thing is, is that if we HAD drafted him... he probably would have demanded top 3 money... because he was "projected" to go to Cleveland at #3... :rolleyes2

bkbuffet
07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

Every player that we didn't pick (excepting the 8 that were off the board) could still prove we made a mistake by not picking him. That is an insane game to play.

If TG turns out to be a bust, then we shouldn't have picked him. If he turns out to be a difference player, we made the right move. If Beck turns out to be a bust, we shouldn't have picked him. If is an effective leader for this team for 8-9 years, it was genius.

Bottom line is Brady Quinn says nothing about us, good or bad, any more than Patrick Willis or Adam Carriker or anyone else we didn't pick.

The only team on the hook for Quinn is Cleveland, esp since they traded their first round pick to get him.

We didnt trade up for Quinn or pick another QB with him available. We picked another position altogether and he dropped another 13 spots.

This idea that we were somehow draft day dunces for not taking Quinn is nonsense. The idea that our draft is going to be measured by his future performance is nonsense on stilts.

We will be judged by the 8 or so players we picked...not the 200+ that we didn't.

Good point!
But I can still be happy that the Dolphin's decided to pass on Quinn. :D

bone84
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm glad we got the Ginn Beck combo instead of passing on both and getting Quinn. So far all he's proved is that he cares about himself and not the team or winning

jlfin
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Actually, had the Dolphins drafted him at number 9, there most likely wouldn't have been the issues involved with him being drafted at number 22. Although with the way he has been handling himself since the draft there still may have been issues getting him signed on time, especially with Wayne's line in the sand.

All I can say is Beck looks to be an awesome pick & Quinn only makes him look better & better.

I have a feeling if the Phins had drafted him at 9 he would not be in camp. He would be holding out, feeling as if he should have been a top 3 pick. He would be waiting on the contract numbers for Russell.
I too, wanted us to draft Quinn, but I'm starting to believe there was more hype than substance with this guy.

dolpns13
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I have a feeling if the Phins had drafted him at 9 he would not be in camp. He would be holding out, feeling as if he should have been a top 3 pick. He would be waiting on the contract numbers for Russell.
I too, wanted us to draft Quinn, but I'm starting to believe there was more hype than substance with this guy.

I agree with the whole post

massi20
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
At first I was pissed that we passed on Quinn. But now after the draft panned out I am happy with the selections the team made. From what I am reading about Beck and the way he is performing in practice, it looks like Cameron knew exactly what he was doing. This draft could potentially yield several starters for a long time to come. But of course, only time will tell, yet for some reason I am confident that in a couple of years we will all look back at this draft as the draft that finally turned this team around.

tcdrover
07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
It's over 20 MILLION dollars less, that's a whole lot of money.

The fact that O'Shea is our QB coach and he worked with Quinn for months leading up to the draft, makes me very confident that Cam made the right choice at QB.

Just comparing the individual interviews of them that I've seen shows a VERY stark contrast in personality.

Does anyone remember that house call that Joe Rose made to him after he was drafted?

Brady couldn't have done that if he had a script handed to him & was coached for 3 months, and Beck did that on a surprise phone call.....

FanMarino
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I looked on a Browns site and he wasnt even 2nd on who the Browns fans thought would be starting for them this coming season. You would think some homer fans would at least vote for him. Nope.
Time to really tell though wil be when the pads go on and its game time and Quinn is thrown in. Until then im a happy Beck fan as i am Green and Lemon. I'd take any 3 of ours over any 3 of theirs period. Its not all about one man.

Phinfan31
07-31-2007, 06:49 PM

I understand what you're saying...but you're really not getting it. The reason Quinn will ALWAYS be compared to Beck is because everyone...EVERYONE...had the Miami Dolphins pegged for picking Quinn...it was the last possible spot he could slip to. We shocked the NFL world when we DID NOT pick Quinn...so with that being the case...HE and only HE will be compared to our decision of picking Ginn/Beck...to compare other players is like you said...ridiculous, but considering what happened...the circumstances, the surprise/shock that took place..and ALL of the experts giving our team hell for passing on him...HE WILL ALWAYS BE COMPARED...period, no other players are comparable...but Quinn always will be. Also, considering we have not had a potential franchise QB since Marino and finally had a shot to take one, that is ANOTHER reason why he will always be compared.

rodneythomas#3
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Brady Quinn = primadonna.

There have been great players in the past who have fit that description, but as it appears right now, there is no evidence that Quinn is a better QB than Beck - so all things being equal, I believe the Dolphins brass had some idea of Quinns primadonna-like attitude and picked the guy who would put team first.

two players of equal talent (and I believe that is being kind to Quinn), I'll take the guy who wants to get to work every time.

DolphinsFan23
07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
I bet after a few of the practices that Randy Mueller has seen so far of this year's draft class, he's got a big ole grin on his face. You know he'd just love to say "I told you so" to all the NFL draft gurus like Mel Kiper. :chuckle:

I bet that gut feeling Randy and Cam had about Ted Ginn and John Beck is just going to get more and more positive. I'm sure Randy and Cam would love to get Wayne grinning right along with them. I bet Wayne keeps up with the team more than people might think. He has a little Jerry Jones in him I bet. Ted and John Beck probably don't realize how happy he could make those guys if they turn out great ... they all want to look like draft and team building geniuses.

But it's still early ..... lots of football yet to be played. Ted and John still have a lot more things they need to prove. Never know, this could be one of the best draft classes we've had since 1983 with Marino. :D

fish fan 4 life
07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Im happy we took Beck.I didnt want Quinn

CammyCamCam
07-31-2007, 08:12 PM
http://drunkathletes.synergyofsports.com/2007/07/31/brady-quinn.aspx

this is what browns fans are talking about while were watching beck get better each day

TampaFinsFan01
07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
I understand what you're saying...but you're really not getting it. The reason Quinn will ALWAYS be compared to Beck is because everyone...EVERYONE...had the Miami Dolphins pegged for picking Quinn...it was the last possible spot he could slip to. We shocked the NFL world when we DID NOT pick Quinn...so with that being the case...HE and only HE will be compared to our decision of picking Ginn/Beck...to compare other players is like you said...ridiculous, but considering what happened...the circumstances, the surprise/shock that took place..and ALL of the experts giving our team hell for passing on him...HE WILL ALWAYS BE COMPARED...period, no other players are comparable...but Quinn always will be. Also, considering we have not had a potential franchise QB since Marino and finally had a shot to take one, that is ANOTHER reason why he will always be compared.

This is wrong on alot of levels.

Not EVERYONE had us taking Quinn. Drafts are funny things. One or two mocks plus Kiper, and it becomes conventional wisdom and people just run with it.

What everyone did "know" is that we needed to draft a QB. We drafted one. If Quinn turns out to be Tom Brady, then every team that picked before us made a mistake, the biggest being the Raiders because they took a QB.

When we picked a QB, Quinn was off the board. He wasn't available when we wanted a QB. So we picked our highest rated QB on the board. Simple.

Some people may continue to make the connection forever, and thats their business. In this country people have a right to be idiotic. And that is what they are being if we are somehow singled out if Quinn turns out to be great.

The Raiders, I spoke about. But what about the Redskins if Campbell busts? What about Tampa Bay if Garcia doesn't work out? And the Vikings placed their franchise in some kid whose name I can't even recall, and I pay attention to the NFL.

If you objectively looked at us, Washington, Tampa, and Minnesota, I'd say that we handled our long-term QB situation better than any of those guys based on what's happening right now. And I am not being a homer. I am not a homer. I hold the Fins to a higher standard than I do these other roody-poohs.

But I honestly think we have the best plan in place. We have a veteran guy who knows the offense and we think can still be productive for a year or two. We have a rookie QB that is very mature, is very studious, very intelligent and has the talent I hear some people comparing to Drew Brees.

I can't help what idiots do or what they think, but I can continue to point out to them that we came into this draft as one team of many that needed to address the QB situation. We did. So did Cleveland. So did Oakland. Time will tell who made the right decision. But I won't give Brady Quinn a second thought when I evaluate our draft. And no other sane person should either.

The rest...of your post...I'll just leave....to let others....deal with....:wink:

DonShula84
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM

When Dolphin players hold are they selfish and only about themselves also? :rolleyes:

I dont understand how people can ignore his attitude and work ethic for 4 years at ND based on a 5 day holdout. It's like people have no idea what they're talking about...

PMZQ
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM

:clapping: well said. I just pray that Quinn is as bad as he showed in big games, save one -- the near upset of USC in 2005.

DonShula84
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
http://drunkathletes.synergyofsports.com/2007/07/31/brady-quinn.aspx

this is what browns fans are talking about while were watching beck get better each day

College kids go to parties? I'm shocked.

DefensiveEnd76
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Quinn held out all year long, re-entered the draft next year and then went undrafted. LMAO!! That is what that punk deserves

PMZQ
07-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Dude you couldn't have said it better :wink:

It is all blather & babble.

But this is probably the 1st time this guy has ever been rejected in any shape or form. He has his pretty boy looks, he athletics, and his family is decently well off (parents are millionaires several times over). He's had just about everything handed to him his whole life, and this is the 1st time he can't use his "pretty boy" looks to get over on someone (remember he did go to Catholic schools all his life, run by priests -- we know their story :sidelol:). This time its business being run by "real men" and he can't use all that "pretty boy" charm on anyone.

He doesn't know how to cope with this. :wink:

DolphinsFan23
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
I think this might be a new article about Brady Quinn you guys might not have seen yet. It was posted 2-3 hours ago.

Where's Brady? Browns QB blowing his chance, other NFL debates

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/31/quinn/

"Compounding the problem is that Quinn did an autograph show in Cleveland earlier this summer and charged $75 per autographed photo. Talk about rubbing the locals the wrong way. That, combined with this ill-advised holdout, led one Browns insider to tell me the team wouldn't be surprised when Quinn finally reported to training camp. There would probably be a segment of fans on hand that would boo him. It's absolutely amazing that Quinn, who could have run for mayor in May, now would be lucky to get elected dog-catcher." :chuckle:

DonShula84
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Dude you couldn't have said it better :wink:

It is all blather & babble.

But this is probably the 1st time this guy has ever been rejected in any shape or form. He has his pretty boy looks, he athletics, and his family is decently well off (parents are millionaires several times over). He's had just about everything handed to him his whole life, and this is the 1st time he can't use his "pretty boy" looks to get over on someone (remember he did go to Catholic schools all his life, run by priests -- we know their story :sidelol:). This time its business being run by "real men" and he can't use all that "pretty boy" charm on anyone.

He doesn't know how to cope with this. :wink:

:sidelol: one of the worst posts I've ever read.

Quinn hired a pretty competent agent to get him more money, I dont think he expected to walk into Phil Savages office flash a smile and get more money.

Phinfan31
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
This is wrong on alot of levels.

Not EVERYONE had us taking Quinn. Drafts are funny things. One or two mocks plus Kiper, and it becomes conventional wisdom and people just run with it.

What everyone did "know" is that we needed to draft a QB. We drafted one. If Quinn turns out to be Tom Brady, then every team that picked before us made a mistake, the biggest being the Raiders because they took a QB.

When we picked a QB, Quinn was off the board. He wasn't available when we wanted a QB. So we picked our highest rated QB on the board. Simple.

Some people may continue to make the connection forever, and thats their business. In this country people have a right to be idiotic. And that is what they are being if we are somehow singled out if Quinn turns out to be great.

The Raiders, I spoke about. But what about the Redskins if Campbell busts? What about Tampa Bay if Garcia doesn't work out? And the Vikings placed their franchise in some kid whose name I can't even recall, and I pay attention to the NFL.

If you objectively looked at us, Washington, Tampa, and Minnesota, I'd say that we handled our long-term QB situation better than any of those guys based on what's happening right now. And I am not being a homer. I am not a homer. I hold the Fins to a higher standard than I do these other roody-poohs.

But I honestly think we have the best plan in place. We have a veteran guy who knows the offense and we think can still be productive for a year or two. We have a rookie QB that is very mature, is very studious, very intelligent and has the talent I hear some people comparing to Drew Brees.

I can't help what idiots do or what they think, but I can continue to point out to them that we came into this draft as one team of many that needed to address the QB situation. We did. So did Cleveland. So did Oakland. Time will tell who made the right decision. But I won't give Brady Quinn a second thought when I evaluate our draft. And no other sane person should either.

The rest...of your post...I'll just leave....to let others....deal with....:wink:

I absolutely agree. I never disagreed with what our staff did on draft day, infact I think it is the best draft since the late 90's when we drafted Taylor/Madison in the same year. What I supported was that the dolphins address the QB position in this draft...and that they did. I'll admit, when we passed on Quinn I was very worried...I thought "here we go again", but had faith in Cam Camerons offensive mind and knew he was making the right decision. Other than Calvin Johnson we might have the 2nd best player to come out of this draft class in Ginn JR. - the guy can just flat out play football. He is at an Olympic speed level...and he will be utilized in various ways on our team. He will be a contributer from day 1 and I really don't think we'll see the same from Quinn for another year at minimum. My comment about EVERYONE having us pick Quinn was actually correct in that is was widely accepted by nearly every media outlet, but of course NO ONE has any real clue until the draft unfolds on D-Day. The general consensus was that if Quinn fell to #9...we would NOT hesitate to pick him - he was considered a lock. Quinn thought that, his agent thought that, everyone on ESPN/NFL network thought that, all of south Florida thought that, hell I am sure you did as well.

The Beck/Quinn comparisons will always be made among Dolphins fans...and that is to be expected. They ARE NOT idiots as you claim unjustifiably. Fans are entitled to their own opinions, and that includes making comparisons of recent history and discussing the alternatives to what took place...how they feel about what happened, and whether or not they agree with what our coaches did on draft day.

You want to know the most notorious example of the media/fans making a comparison such as this in recent NFL history?

- Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf

So you're telling me that Chargers fans are not allowed to consider the "what if" factor? That they cannot compare those 2 quarterbacks who at the time were considered equal? That they're idiots for being upset about missing out on a hall of fame QB? You're ignorant of the way people think if you have a problem with comparisons...they're all around us, involved in every facet of life.

PMZQ
07-31-2007, 08:39 PM
:sidelol: one of the worst posts I've ever read.

Quinn hired a pretty competent agent to get him more money, I dont think he expected to walk into Phil Savages office flash a smile and get more money.

Why not dude, its worked EVERYWHERE he has been all his life. His "Charmed" life has just ended and this is his 1st foray in to the real world.

Mike13
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Quinn is only hurting himself with his holdout.
I wish him the best though.

TampaFinsFan01
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Quinn thought that, his agent thought that, everyone on ESPN/NFL network thought that, all of south Florida thought that, hell I am sure you did as well.

The Beck/Quinn comparisons will always be made among Dolphins fans...and that is to be expected. They ARE NOT idiots as you claim unjustifiably. Fans are entitled to their own opinions, and that includes making comparisons of recent history and discussing the alternatives to what took place...how they feel about what happened, and whether or not they agree with what our coaches did on draft day.

You want to know the most notorious example of the media/fans making a comparison such as this in recent NFL history?

- Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf

So you're telling me that Chargers fans are not allowed to consider the "what if" factor? That they cannot compare those 2 quarterbacks who at the time were considered equal? That they're idiots for being upset about missing out on a hall of fame QB? You're ignorant of the way people think if you have a problem with comparisons...they're all around us, involved in every facet of life.

To your first point, I did think we would draft Quinn. But I wasn't upset that we didn't. You can ask Rick1966 (the guy with the Csonka picture) who I was speaking with on the phone when we drafted. I was fine with the pick. I thought our biggest weakness, even more than QB, was speed. If nothing else, Ginn gives us speed.

To your second point, I freely admitted that people have a right to their opinions, and I have a right to mine. And IMO, if people single us out to dwell on the fate of BQ, thats stupidity. But people do and think stupid things all the time. Its their right.

The situation of Manning and Leaf isn't quite the same as BQ vs TG and JB. Those were the first two picks in the draft. And IMO, the Chargers shouldn't be faulted for drafting Leaf...he was a consensus pick that just busted. Thats all. They could be faulted for giving up as much as they did for to move one spot. To me, what they gave the Cardinals was crazy.

But the Chargers didn't pass on Manning. The Colts got to make the choice, and they made the right one. Nothing the Chargers could do.

Let me put this to you another way....If Ginn is a bust and Quinn is great, but the rest of their draft sucks and four of our picks turn out to be perennial Pro Bowlers, who had the better draft? IOW, we shouldn't spend one second worrying about which one of their players does this or doesnt do that. We should be damn hopeful for all of our players.

I didn't like Jimmy Johnson, but he said something one day that made alot of sense. In the draft, you only worry about the players you get. That stuck with me through the years.

Now if I was a Cleveland fan, I'd be nervous because Cleveland is on the hook with a double whammy for Quinn, because he cost them a first rounder next year. Thats pressure.

If Ginn doesn't work out, its just another first round bust in Miami in a long line. But I still think Ginn was a good pick. And I like the Beck pick. Whether they work out or not is a different issue.

But we needed speed and we needed a QB. We got Ginn and Booker to help us with the first need and we got Beck and Green to help at QB. I'm fine with it. And I won't spend one minute worrying about Quinn as it relates to grading our draft. And no other intelligent person should either.

Rock Sexton
07-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Who's this Quinn character?:wink:

ChambersWI
07-31-2007, 11:48 PM
the only thing I want to add is that people need to realize that Cleveland fans didn't want him; they love Anderson and Frye. Most of them are pissed that they traded to get Quinn.

that's not a knock on Quinn, but jus saying that he's not exactly being welcomed with open arms

MikeO
08-01-2007, 08:40 AM
But Quinn wouldn't be holding out if he was picked at #9. He would have signed. He is holding out because he fell to the late 1st round.

So this whole...."thank god we didn't take Quinn".......makes no sense because the situation would be totally different

NYinBostonFin
08-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Why do all these Quinn threads seem like a jilted lover syndrome? I love the justification for our draft, by calling Quinn a prima donna....or making fun of his gf's physical attributes. How about using the play of both players on the field....not whether or not he is a pretty boy.

He's holding out for more money, big deal....it isn't the first or the last time it will happen, especially for the browns draft picks. Years from now....when we look at both QB's careers.....Im sure this holdout will not be in the conversation.

Right now, Beck looks like a great pick....but neither Beck or Quinn will be making or breaking their careers bc of training camp this year. Relax....

TampaFinsFan01
08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
But Quinn wouldn't be holding out if he was picked at #9. He would have signed. He is holding out because he fell to the late 1st round.

So this whole...."thank god we didn't take Quinn".......makes no sense because the situation would be totally different

How in the world can you possibly know this?

You claim that Quinn is holding out because "he fell to the late 1st round". Whats to say he wouldn't be holding out if we picked him at number 9 because he fell out of the top three?

You don't/can't know. It is what it is. He was picked where he was picked by the team that picked him and he's holding out. Anything else is pure speculation by you and isn't backed up with facts.

And thats the bottom line.

DonShula84
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Why do all these Quinn threads seem like a jilted lover syndrome? I love the justification for our draft, by calling Quinn a prima donna....or making fun of his gf's physical attributes. How about using the play of both players on the field....not whether or not he is a pretty boy.

He's holding out for more money, big deal....it isn't the first or the last time it will happen, especially for the browns draft picks. Years from now....when we look at both QB's careers.....Im sure this holdout will not be in the conversation.

Right now, Beck looks like a great pick....but neither Beck or Quinn will be making or breaking their careers bc of training camp this year. Relax....

How dare you try to bring reason and common sense to a thread by pathetic Dolphin fans about Brady Quinn.

playmaker1
08-01-2007, 05:29 PM
How dare you try to bring reason and common sense to a thread by pathetic Dolphin fans about Brady Quinn.

:lol:

tucker
08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
so why is someone who got drafted in the 20s holding out again?