PDA

View Full Version : Does Scripture teach that Jesus is God?

BAMAPHIN 22
08-01-2007, 01:24 PM
My invisible thoughts are coming to you now through these written words. The word is so connected with the thought that it is the expression of the thought. The thought is the word invisible: the word is the thought visible. Now Jesus Christ was the invisible thought of God put into a form in which you could see it and hear it; and just as the word.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/08/01/does-scripture-teach-that-jesus-is-god/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.convincedandprepared.com%2F%3Fcat%3D1&frame=true

Wildphin
08-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Bamaphin,

This is a great question. John 1:1 and 1:14 and Hebrews 1:8 clearly reveal the truth of Jesus' deity. I had trouble believing it once, but not anymore.
Jesus is God incarnate, so that we could understand Him.

Rafiki
08-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Jesus never says he is God, only that his work is through the grace of the Father and dedicated to him. Also there are several points in the Bible where a voice from heaven calls him "son" so therefore I believe he would be classified in the Bible as the Son of God.

SCall13
08-01-2007, 03:32 PM
The bible plainly says that Jesus is God in the flesh. It is evident in many places in the scriptures:

Isa.9
[6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matt.1
[23] Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

John.1
[1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

and in John 1:14 below...

John.1
[14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Many people think there are 3 seperate "beings" : Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. IMO, this is not so. It is all God in different forms. Father (God above us) Son (God WITH us when he was on earth) and the Holy Ghost (God IN us). These are all the same God, in different dispensations.

SCall13
08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Bamaphin,

This is a great question. John 1:1 and 1:14 and Hebrews 1:8 clearly reveal the truth of Jesus' deity. I had trouble believing it once, but not anymore.

Exactly. God put himself into flesh to experience what a man goes through and to save us from sin. No MAN could do that. It had to have been God.

SCall13
08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
It won't be long until this thread will be flooded with those who simply do not believe in God. TO those I say: this thread is not for you. This is a question a person who believes is asking. No need in bringing the typical "there is no God" bashing into this thread. IF you don't believe, save it for another thread that is open for that debate.

Quelonio
08-01-2007, 04:20 PM
The bible plainly says that Jesus is God in the flesh. It is evident in many places in the scriptures:

Isa.9
[6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matt.1
[23] Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

John.1
[1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

and in John 1:14 below...

John.1
[14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Many people think there are 3 seperate "beings" : Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. IMO, this is not so. It is all God in different forms. Father (God above us) Son (God WITH us when he was on earth) and the Holy Ghost (God IN us). These are all the same God, in different dispensations.

But they didnt name him Emanuel.. they named him Jesus... maybe we just got the wrong dude.

rafael
08-01-2007, 04:27 PM
But they didnt name him Emanuel.. they named him Jesus... maybe we just got the wrong dude.

:sidelol:

HansMojo
08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Bamaphin,

There are so many texts that point to the Deity of Jesus, both in the Old and New Testaments, but I especially like that whole discussion in Hebrews 1. Here is Hebrews 1:8-10 from the NLT:

8 But to the Son He says,

“Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever.
You rule with a scepter of justice.
9 You love justice and hate evil.
Therefore, O God, your God has anointed you,
pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else.”[f (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews%201;&version=51;#fen-NLT-29932f)]
10 He also says to the Son, “In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth
and made the heavens with your hands.

Here, the Father refers to the Son (Jesus) as God and Lord (and the Creator) while also referring to Himself as the Son's God. If the Father considers Jesus God, that is good enough for me. What the word "God" means exactly is where the confusion seems to come in.

The Bible teaches that there is one God, but that God is made up of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. One God is singular, but even in Genesis, this one God refers to Himself as both singular and plural (Genesis 1:26,27).

26 Then God said, “Let Us make human beings in Our image, to be like Us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.”
27 So God created human beings in His own image. In the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.

To me, that is kind of like the Supreme Court of the United States. There is only one Supreme Court of the United States, but it is made up of 9 separate justices. We say that the Supreme Court has ruled...but we understand that it is really the 9 justices that have made a decision. So in this example, 1 court = 9 justices and in a sorta similar (but not too similar) way, 1 Biblical God = Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is how I understand it anyway.

Finally, I do believe that the three personages that make up God are actually three seperate individuals. For example, this is illustrated in Matthew 3:16 and 17 where it says:

16 After His baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on Him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”

So in this Bible scene, we have Jesus still in the water, the Holy Spirit descending like a dove and settling on Him, and at the same time we hear God's voice coming out of Heaven speaking of the Joy that the Son brings Him. So for this reason and a few others, I believe that it is simply our human characterization of what one God means that causes confusion. The Biblical characterization of one God means the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Of course, you can't empty the ocean into a bucket. What God is is probably infinitely more than we will ever comprehend. But I do believe it is our privilege to seek to understand what little has been revealed even if it is only the very tipity top of the iceberg. :)

Den54
08-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Par for the coarse that no one can agree on text from the bible.

Den54
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I was taught at an early age that it was the father, the son and the holy ghost. But then again I was raised in the Mormon cult.

HansMojo
08-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Par for the coarse that no one can agree on text from the bible.
Fortunately, God does not appear to be judging us based on our theological test scores...or we'd all be up the creek. :)

HansMojo
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I was taught at an early age that it was the father, the son and the holy ghost. But then again I was raised in the Mormon cult.
Is the rest of your family still Mormon? Just curious...

Den54
08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Is the rest of your family still Mormon? Just curious...

My dad and sister are. My mom,myself and other brothers were able to undo the many years of brainwashing.

HansMojo
08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
My dad and sister are. My mom,myself and other brothers were able to undo the many years of brainwashing.
You'll have to forgive me. I've always been extremely curious about Mormons. If you don't mind me asking, who left first? Your mom? What was it that initially changed your mind about the religion?

HansMojo
08-01-2007, 08:26 PM
You'll have to forgive me. I've always been extremely curious about Mormons. If you don't mind me asking, who left first? Your mom? What was it that initially changed your mind about the religion?
On second thought, this is not really appropriate for this thread since it is so off topic and I really would rather not hijack it. Maybe I'll PM you someday if you don't mind. I'm really curious...

Den54
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
On second thought, this is not really appropriate for this thread since it is so off topic and I really would rather not hijack it. Maybe I'll PM you someday if you don't mind. I'm really curious...

No problem.

Mike13
08-01-2007, 10:30 PM

:yeahthat: Although I used to have a hard time believing in the idea of Jesus' dual nature.