PDA

View Full Version : If we change to a 3-4...

zach8111
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Keep in mind. We have to draft DE if we change to 3-4. there is no way that JT can play DE in a 3-4. i dont think roth and holliday are gonna both start. JT would move to OLB. Glenn Dorsey could move to DE if we draft him but id rather have chris long at DE.

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind. We have to draft DE if we change to 3-4. there is no way that JT can play DE in a 3-4. i dont think roth and holliday are gonna both start. JT would move to OLB. Glenn Dorsey could move to DE if we draft him but id rather have chris long at DE.

Yes, I do agree. It's %100 positive we will play a 3-4 next year. I think Rod Wright could surprise some people next year and could play the opposite side of Holliday. Long would be pretty awesome. The real question is what should we do with Jason Taylor? I know he would play OLB in a 3-4, but he could get traded and that changes everything. If we do trade him, 3-4 pass rushers are much harder to find than 3-4 ends. I mean look at Rod Wright, he's a border line starter and we picked him up in the 7th a few years back. I think the best option for us is to somehow trade down, but stay within the top 5 and draft Vernon Gholston. If Shaun Rogers is released, I expect Parcells to go after him since we have a hole at NT and Traylor is most likely a gone (I said that last year too though, so we'll see). This is how I hope to see us looking next year:

LE: ?/Roth
NT: Rogers/Soliai
RE: Holliday/R. Wright
LOLB: Porter/A. Wright
LILB: ?/Smith
RILB: Crowder/Mercello
ROLB: Gholston/Moses

Sadly, I don't see Zach on this roster next year, but that's JMO. We could find those 2 question marks in rounds 2-3 of this draft. And if we do happen to trade down, we can acquire another 2nd or 3rd to help us do that.

Majpain
01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
JT will probably be traded on draft day for a 3rd and 5th rounder.

RoninFin4
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, I do agree. It's %100 positive we will play a 3-4 next year. I think Rod Wright could surprise some people next year and could play the opposite side of Holliday. Long would be pretty awesome. The real question is what should we do with Jason Taylor? I know he would play OLB in a 3-4, but he could get traded and that changes everything. If we do trade him, 3-4 pass rushers are much harder to find than 3-4 ends. I mean look at Rod Wright, he's a border line starter and we picked him up in the 7th a few years back. I think the best option for us is to somehow trade down, but stay within the top 5 and draft Vernon Gholston. If Shaun Rogers is released, I expect Parcells to go after him since we have a hole at NT and Traylor is most likely a gone (I said that last year too though, so we'll see). This is how I hope to see us looking next year:

LE: ?/Roth
NT: Rogers/Soliai
RE: Holliday/R. Wright
LOLB: Porter/A. Wright
LILB: ?/Smith
RILB: Crowder/Mercello
ROLB: Gholston/Moses

Sadly, I don't see Zach on this roster next year, but that's JMO. We could find those 2 question marks in rounds 2-3 of this draft. And if we do happen to trade down, we can acquire another 2nd or 3rd to help us do that.

I like your way of thinking to trade down and stay in the top 5 to land Gholston. However, I think he'd be the Strongside (LOLB) in a 3-4, a la Shawn Merriman; much bigger, and better suited to handle the run than Porter. Porter thrived at ROLB in the 3-4 in Pittsburgh. Although, he may eventually have to shift inside of Quentin Moses or Abe Wright really start to blossom. I would have to think that if Chris Long is not our #1 pick (which I think he will be in the end) you'd have to consider Kentwan Balmer at #32 overall. I realize he's on the injury report from at the Senior Bowl, but that potential as a 3-4 DE may just be too good to pass up.

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Do you think we could snatch a 2nd for him?

SR 7

what makes u say that

SR 7
Do you think we could snatch a 2nd for him?

only if its to a team that is a contender cuz tha tmeans its likely a late 2nd

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I like your way of thinking to trade down and stay in the top 5 to land Gholston. However, I think he'd be the Strongside (LOLB) in a 3-4, a la Shawn Merriman; much bigger, and better suited to handle the run than Porter. Porter thrived at ROLB in the 3-4 in Pittsburgh. Although, he may eventually have to shift inside of Quentin Moses or Abe Wright really start to blossom. I would have to think that if Chris Long is not our #1 pick (which I think he will be in the end) you'd have to consider Kentwan Balmer at #32 overall. I realize he's on the injury report from at the Senior Bowl, but that potential as a 3-4 DE may just be too good to pass up.

Balmer has really shot up draft boards. And yea, you're right, I flipped Joey Porter and Vernon around. What's so special about Balmer though? I know he has good size and all but his injuries do worry me a bit. What do you think about that Clemson DE (Phillip Merling)?

PhinsPhan122
01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I think Dorsey could play NT. The DE's could be V. Holliday and R. Wright. If JT is around he will be an OLB. I like the look of this defense.

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 08:00 PM
only if its to a team that is a contender cuz tha tmeans its likely a late 2nd

I could see us maybe getting a 2nd from a team like Washington or maybe even Jacksonville.

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I think Dorsey could play NT. The DE's could be V. Holliday and R. Wright. If JT is around he will be an OLB. I like the look of this defense.

The only reason I don't like it is because it's basically the same defense we had last year. Yes, Dorsey would be an upgrade over Traylor but we also need ends that are better versus the run. We need to add at least one more DE that has the strength and size to eat up blockers.

Edit: A little off topic from this post, but this year isn't a great year for LBs or S. We need in both (especially if we cut ties with Zach).

Majpain
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I dunno AGE is the issue. He can still play but for a second it might be to much. I still think he is gone on draft day. Wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of Joey Porter too.

RoninFin4
01-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Balmer has really shot up draft boards. And yea, you're right, I flipped Joey Porter and Vernon around. What's so special about Balmer though? I know he has good size and all but his injuries do worry me a bit. What do you think about that Clemson DE (Phillip Merling)?

Honestly, I haven't seen Merling play a whole lot. Just looking at his measurables 6'5" 280, he might be a little light to play 3-4 DE, and even though I don't think he'll go at #9 to the Bengals as Kiper had, I still think he'll be a first rounder towards the late portion of the round. Balmer has a good combination of size and speed for someone of his stature - not sure of the injury status, I was at class all afternoon and haven't had time to look at it. Sorry I'm not more help.

miami234ever
01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I dunno AGE is the issue. He can still play but for a second it might be to much. I still think he is gone on draft day. Wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of Joey Porter too.

I would be surprised if they got rid of Joey. He had a really nice 2nd half of the season and he has 20 million in gauranteed. I mean maybe a trade, but his value is probably half of JTs. We would be better off keeping him IMO.

adamprez2003
01-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Ive seen about three games of Phillip Merling and he is an absolute beast. I really think he has an outside shot at having the best career of anyone drafted on the defensive side of the ball. I dont know if he can transition into 3-4 though. I think he would make a better OLB than DE in a 3-4 and if he can drop back into coverage he's a steal for any team that employs the 3-4. He's probably best suited for 4-3 though

SR 7
01-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I would be surprised if they got rid of Joey. He had a really nice 2nd half of the season and he has 20 million in gauranteed. I mean maybe a trade, but his value is probably half of JTs. We would be better off keeping him IMO.

NO way we trade JP. he is the perfect OLB on the Weak side just as he was in Pitts. He played great in the 2nd half once he got the system down n his health.

As for JT I dono waht to say will happen hes a wild card righ tnow and hard to figure out.