PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me why you would want Matt Ryan over Brian Brohm.

Hargitt01
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey Guys and Chicks (I know you're out there) I would just like someone to logically explain why we would draft Matt Ryan over Brian Brohm.

Matt Ryan's numbers look like this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146254

* I have read that Parcells likes a Big QB. Ryan is listed @ 6'5" 218lbs.

Now For Brian Brohm:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609

* Also note that Brian Brohm is a big QB as well 6'4" 228. What's a one inch diffrence?

Now when I look at both of these Stud QB's numbers the thing that stands out to me is Turnovers. Now consider that the ACC is a weaker conference then the Big East and Matt Ryan has 7 more picks then Big Brian. As we all know you can't win by turning the ball over.

* Yet another note, I have heard that Brian Brohm is injury prone. Well I know of only 2 injuries over his four year career at UL. He hurt his knee before the Gator Bowl his Sophmore year but bounced back from that injury very quickly and started his Junior year. A few games into his Junior year he broke his thumb on his throwing hand but once again bounced back and led the Cardinals to their first BCS game and first BCS win against the ACC Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the Orange Bowl. Now is two injuries really considered injury prone? Is there really that big of a difference between 6'4" and 6'5"? Is there a problem with turning the ball over less in a better conference?

Now don't get me wrong I am all about drafting D-Line with the number one overall or even trading down to acquire more first day picks but if it comes down to drafting another QB I don't why everyone is so high on Matt Ryan.

Thanks Guys!!!:up:

mxkawi1
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't want either one of them. They won't be there at #32, and we aren't taking a QB with the #1.

Finfan53
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Which guy is more accurate, can they both make "all the throws"? I kinda like Chad Henne more than these two guys personally. How did Brohm do this past year when all was against him? poor team play etc?

Finfang
01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey Guys and Chicks (I know you're out there) I would just like someone to logically explain why we would draft Matt Ryan over Brian Brohm.

Stat OverviewPassingYEARCMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRAT2004357135049.34.933223591.552005121195151462.17.7661855135.682006263427294261.66.8979151019126.382007388654450759.36.8971311921127.04

Now For Brian Brohm:

Stat OverviewPassingYEARCMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRAT2004669881967.38.36746211153.672005207301288368.89.587619517166.732006199313304963.69.747516516159.082007308473402465.18.5181301224152.43

* Also note that Brian Brohm is a big QB as well 6'4" 228. What's a one inch diffrence?

Now when I look at both of these Stud QB's numbers the thing that stands out to me is Turnovers. Now consider that the ACC is a weaker conference then the Big East and Matt Ryan has 7 more picks then Big Brian. As we all know you can't win by turning the ball over.

* Yet another note, I have heard that Brian Brohm is injury prone. Well I know of only 2 injuries over his four year career at UL. He hurt his knee before the Gator Bowl his Sophmore year but bounced back from that injury very quickly and started his Junior year. A few games into his Junior year he broke his thumb on his throwing hand but once again bounced back and led the Cardinals to their first BCS game and first BCS win against the ACC Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the Orange Bowl. Now is two injuries really considered injury prone? Is there really that big of a difference between 6'4" and 6'5"? Is there a problem with turning the ball over less in a better conference? Please help me understand.

Although I don't have any proof other than what I see with my eyes, Matt Ryan just makes all the throws needed from an NFL QB. He throws the deep out better than Brohm. He has a stronger arm than Brohm. (Ryan has a gun throwing against his body. It really blows me away). Matt Ryan just has all the tools to be a pro ready QB. Brohm not so much. He still looks like a college QB IMO. Ryan also moves well and seem sto have the footwork and mechanics of a pro QB.

You asked! :up:

houtz
01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
We're not going quarterback with the #1 overall pick. Woodson might be there at 32 and that'd be fine with me, but no way we take a quarterback first. Chris Long sounds good to me.

Flip Tanneflop
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with fang totally

Finfang
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
We're not going quarterback with the #1 overall pick. Woodson might be there at 32 and that'd be fine with me, but no way we take a quarterback first. Chris Long sounds good to me.

That wasn't the question. :D

Hargitt01
01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't want either one of them. They won't be there at #32, and we aren't taking a QB with the #1.

Well I said the same thing. I want to Draft D-line. But there are some people out there that want to Draft a QB in round numero uno. I am just saying that if we were to draft one of these guys why not Brohm?

Hargitt01
01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Although I don't have any proof other than what I see with my eyes, Matt Ryan just makes all the throws needed from an NFL QB. He throws the deep out better than Brohm. He has a stronger arm than Brohm. (Ryan has a gun throwing against his body. It really blows me away). Matt Ryan just has all the tools to be a pro ready QB. Brohm not so much. He still looks like a college QB IMO. Ryan also moves well and seem sto have the footwork and mechanics of a pro QB.

I appreciate your input. I just thought after seeing Brohm play live over the past 4 years that he has alot of the tools that you metioned. He has a good mechanics and can throw the long ball as well as anyone. Accuracy isn't really an issue and stands tall in the pocket. Whether he is more NFL ready is yet to be seen.

Hargitt01
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM

I really didn't think that Woodson would even be in this conversation.

Hargitt01
01-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Which guy is more accurate, can they both make "all the throws"? I kinda like Chad Henne more than these two guys personally. How did Brohm do this past year when all was against him? poor team play etc?

I see where you are coming from with the poor team play. All I can say to that is New Head Coach and a new system. We should all be used to poor team play behind these reasons exactly. We as Dolphin fans know that when you change coaches and systems there is an ajustment period. But even under these circumstances he still put up great numbers.

adamprez2003
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Ditto

Ghetti13
01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Ryan has better pocket presence, accuracy, mobility, release, and toughness.

Plus, his interception numbers are misleading. His receivers were awful. For instance, in his last three games he threw three interceptions. Two were not his fault as his receiver dropped a catchable ball that went right into the defenders hands.

Ryan is a top five talent. Miami will consider him. Brohm they won't.

mxkawi1
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Well I said the same thing. I want to Draft D-line. But there are some people out there that want to Draft a QB in round numero uno. I am just saying that if we were to draft one of these guys why not Brohm?
I am not going to act like I know about either one since I have not really watched them very much. I have heard(I think it was Jaworski on the radio last week) that there are questions on how Brohm will adapt to the NFL. He was saying he is from a small town and always had his dad as a coach. Basically that he was kind of sheltered. I don't really know. I know that most of the so called "experts", like Ryan better.

MrEd
01-25-2008, 02:08 PM

stole the words out of my mouth. exactly. that besides the fact that "most" draft experts consider Ryan, not Brohm a top pick worthy player.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7715738/Dolphins-'open-for-business'-with-No.-1-pick

also, jeff ireland mentioned how impressed he was with matt ryan and how disappointed he was that he was unable to c him at the senior bowl practices. but he failed to mention how disappointed he was about not being able to c brian brohm. :up:

clbrazee
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't see us taing Ryan or Brohm. They will be gone in the top 10. I don't think we need to draft a QB - we have Beck. I see us picking OT or DT. I prefer OT Jake Long. Then get a good DT with pick 2 or 3).

2413fanphins
01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
woodson shouldn't have come up, but somebody always throws his name in the hat.

brohm had a lot of supporters last year, he elected to stay and seemed to regress in my opinion. you just didn't hear much about him this year. who knows why. it doesn't matter, theres a reason the entire nation has matt ryan ranked significantly higher than brohm, and thats because he is better across the board.

just my opinion, but two injuries in four years that makes you miss time, significant injuries or not, does seem to be a bit much. thats a 50% rate, if you get hurt every other year, than, yes, I guess you do have an injury prone guy on your hands.

TRUEPHIN
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM

Brohm actually had his best statistical year to date. It's certainly wasn't his fault how bad the defense was. He has all the throws. He's a natural leader. He will be successful at whatever he wants. I was at Univ. of Louisville's December graduation to see a friend graduate. Brohm graduated first in his entire school (Business school, I believe). He's been raised in a football family and has a good head on his shoulders. He will be an outstanding QB in the NFL.

Ryan is also a great QB. He's no Brohm though. I like Beck but I would be very happy if we drafted Brohm. Hopefully we can trade down and pick him up.

LouPhinFan
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
brohm had a lot of supporters last year, he elected to stay and seemed to regress in my opinion. you just didn't hear much about him this year. who knows why. it doesn't matter, theres a reason the entire nation has matt ryan ranked significantly higher than brohm, and thats because he is better across the board.

Regress? Internet hogwash. He actually improved his arm strength this year over last. Everyone thinks he regressed because U of L ended up with a 6 - 6 record. Their record had nothing to do with Brohm. He actually won a couple of games for them. U of L's defense was horrible, plain and simple. They couldn't stop a team of nuns from scoring. It had nothing to do with Brohm.

Brohm is not from a small town. He's born and raised here in Louisville...600,000+ people. He was not coached by his dad in high school. He was coached by his brother at U of L. His brother is a well respected former NFL QB who after turning down Saban's offer 2 years in a row to be the OC at Alabama, he is finally the OC here at Louisville. Please don't believe everything you hear from the talking heads on TV...about any player. They can't possibly be experts on every player in the draft.

As far as Brohm vs. Ryan, it depends on how you want to compare them. Do you just want to look at their senior seasons? If so then they're pretty comparable. If you want to compare their entire college careers, then there is no comparison. Brohm wins in a landslide.

I don't like Ryan's turnovers. I don't care what kind of WRs he had there, he still forces too many throws into coverage. That's a hard habit to break in a QB. Is Ryan more "mobile" than Brohm? Lets wait until after the combine to discuss crap like that. After they're both pocket QBs so who cares about their 40 times. Brohm moves very well while inside the pocket and does a fine job of avoiding the pass rush. His arm strength is above average. Is it freakish? No. But its NFL caliber, and that's what matters.

He's very, very smart. He graduated at the top of his class from the business school here. He can read defenses like a pro and make the correct check downs. He makes excellent decisions. He's been doing that for all 4 years he's been here. He's been groomed to be a QB since childhood and is a winner plain and simple.

Ok, end of rant. Its just I've watch him for 4 years and know his game inside and out. I'd say he has a very similar skill set to Peyton Manning when he came out of college. If he'd gone to Notre Dame or Tennessee, who were in his final 3, instead of U of L then this conversation would be moot.

Charlie Brown
01-25-2008, 07:18 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146254

Now For Brian Brohm:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609

* Yet another note, I have heard that Brian Brohm is injury prone. Well I know of only 2 injuries over his four year career at UL. He hurt his knee before the Gator Bowl his Sophmore year but bounced back from that injury very quickly and started his Junior year. A few games into his Junior year he broke his thumb on his throwing hand but once again bounced back and led the Cardinals to their first BCS game and first BCS win against the ACC Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the Orange Bowl. Now is two injuries really considered injury prone? Is there really that big of a difference between 6'4" and 6'5"? Is there a problem with turning the ball over less in a better conference?

Now don't get me wrong I am all about drafting D-Line with the number one overall or even trading down to acquire more first day picks but if it comes down to drafting another QB I don't why everyone is so high on Matt Ryan.

Thanks Guys!!!:up:

I totally agree with ya man!

Ive said this all a long...Matt Ryan is the most over rated player in this years draft....he threw 19 INTS!!!!

He had that one good drive aginst VT and everyone went bunkers over him. Ryan is too inconsistant and his arm is only average

Brohm has all the tools and he can read a defence better than any QB in this years draft.

Matt Ryans numbers 31 TD's 19INTS 59% comp
Brian Brohm 30 TD's 10 INTS 65% comp

#1dolphinsfan
01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
I want Woodson at 32 or Brennan on the second day