PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Week Winners and Losers

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Here's my take on the players that helped themselves and hurt themselves this past week. The criteria I am using is a change of perception regarding their abilities. If players played exactly as expected they didnt make the lists.

This is just my preliminary take after watching the week's practices and game. I got the game on tape so if I have changes or players to add or take out I'll revise it

BTW - This was kind of stream of consciousness so if you disagree with any let me know. It'll give me some pointers on who to watch for when i hit the vcr

In no particular order

Winners

QB
Chad Henne Michigan -Showed a nice arm. most ready to go of all the QBs
Joe Flacco Delaware - The gun just floored people/ rough start to week but picked up later on/ highest upside of any QB in draft but you'll have to wait three years before you know

RB
Matt Forte Tulane Really displayed nice power and burst
Jacob Hester L.S.U. Gritty guy, just a football player
Chauncey Washington U.S.C. Completely off my radar but impressed in game
Tashard Choice Georgia Tech Another guy I wasnt expecting but showed great potential as backup
Rafael Little Kentucky Injuries hurt his senior year but showed well this week
justin Forsett California personally not my cup of tea but he impressed others

FB
Owen Schmitt West Virginia Nice pop

TE
Jacob Tamme Kentucky Thought he had a good week
Kellen Davis Michigan State Really showed that he could be a force down the road with the sick height he possesses
Brad Cottam Tenneessee Absolutely a Parcells type. Just a tough guy who showed surpisingly soft hands and decent ability to get an extra couple of yds in a bull in a china shop kinda way
Martin Rucker Missouri blocking improved as week went along. That was the major concern going in

WR
Lavelle Hawkins California Desean's partner in crime really shined all week
Eddie Royal Virginia Tech VT was a tough scholl to scout these guys due to the system but he showed he belongs
Andre Caldwell Florida What a catch plus a great week equals rising stock
Donnie Avery Houston needs to work on routes but speed is there
Dexter Jackson Appalachian State Same as Avery
Dorien Bryant Purdue Really showed something. Wasnt on my radar before this week

OL
Oneil Cousins U.T.E.P. This guy will be a great guard in the NFL
Carl Nicks Nebraska - Wow, just wow. made himself alot of money this week
Gosder Cherilus Boston College -This guy has been up and down all year for me. Expected the world early this season. Had a disappointing season the left side IMO and just came right back with a real good week
Chris Williams Vanderbilt Borderline 1st round performance this week

DL
Trevor Laws Notre Dame Just fantastic performance. Size will hurt but great for a 4-3 rotation defense
Sedric Ellis U.S.C. MVP of senior BOWL WEEK
Lawrence Jackson U.S.C. Really nice week
Cliff Avrill Purdue Didnt dominate but I thought he held his own and he's here due to my poor expectations of him going in
Red Bryant Texas A&M I just love this guy. Nasty little mean streak. Perfect NT for 3-4 though not a dominator but rather a load type. Will have to be rotated however
Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest - Remember this name. Quiet week media wise but this guy is the real deal. Had a pass deflection in game. Impressed during week

LB
Ali Highsmith L.S.U. All over the place
Jordan Dizon Colorado needs to be protected at next level but could play in 4-3. reminds me of a poor man's zach thomas
Xavier Adibi Virginia Tech This guy really surprised me
Keith Rivers U.S.C. Excellent week
Phillip Wheeler Georgia Tech Another guy who was great all weeek

DB
Leodis McKelvin Troy State Could have moved himself to #1 CB
Chevis Jackson L.S.U. Really liked his game
Thomas DeCoud California Thought he handled himself well this week
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State What a week and game. Him and McKelvin really muddled the CB picture draftwise
Patrick Lee Auburn great week
Tom Zbikowski Notre Dame I really thought this guy had bust written all over but he played alot better than I expected. He's a legit prospect

Losers

QB
Colt Brennan Hawaii Might have played himself into the 6th or 7th round. Weighing in at 185 (flu excuse) didnt help
Andre Woodson Kentucky Couldnt match the performance of Henne and the excitement of Flacco. Could drop to 5th QB
Erik Ainge Tennessee Absolutely horrible week, capped by a last minute TD drive Dont think it was enough to make up for the week

WR
Jordy Nelson Kansas State Great week but speed is an issue. I think the speed issue is going to drop him. Still like him though
Adarius Bowman Oklahoma State Tons of drops but Henne and Flacco loved him. Rough week but I still like him
Limas Sweed Texas Just seemed to me before the injury he wasnt getting seperation. Think he dropped out of first

OL
Kory Lichtensteiger B.G.S.U. Horrible game
Mike McGlynn Pittsburgh Horrible week

DL
Jason Jones Eastern Michigan bad week

DB
DuJuan Tribble Boston College had much higher expectations for him. still like him but he's probably a 4th rounder at best
Tracy Porter Indiana Really thought he copuld have been a first rounder but although he's good in coverage he plays a little soft in run support. Probably 2nd rounder, maybe 3rd

Majpain
01-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Wow I disagree with on Ainge.

Ainge played the best out of any QB. Led his team for the GW drive. That took poise.

He ran the offense like a real pro.

lbmclean_sj
01-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Trevor Laws Notre Dame Just fantastic performance. Size will hurt but great for a 4-3 rotation defense

what do you mean? he is as big as any other "NT" on the draft

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Wow I disagree with on Ainge.

Ainge played the best out of any QB. Led his team for the GW drive. That took poise.

He ran the offense like a real pro.

It was all dink and dunk until the final drive.

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 12:57 AM
what do you mean? he is as big as any other "NT" on the draft 6'1" is shorter than you want and 295 is lighter than you want IMO. Sedrick Ellis makes it work so its not a career killer but its not prototypical size

Majpain
01-28-2008, 12:57 AM
It was all dink and dunk until the final drive.

He made some nice throws.

Accurate, calm in the pocket.

Not all of them were dink and dunk. Btw Ainge just bought himself a 3rd round pick.

lbmclean_sj
01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
6'1" is shorter than you want and 295 is lighter than you want IMO

I agree

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 01:02 AM
He made some nice throws.

Accurate, calm in the pocket.

Not all of them were dink and dunk. Btw Ainge just bought himself a 3rd round pick.

Well I think the last drive was a thing of beauty. His week hurt him more than the game. I just dont think the game helped enough. Just my opinion. I thought people would disagree with this one. You could be right. I'm no expert

Regan21286
01-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Great writeup. Agreed 100%. Only thing I would add is Bruce Davis to the winners. He really showed he could play LB with the same energy as he did when he was with us at DE. 4 solo tackles and was always around the ball with his speed. I really really hope we can draft him because he's almost perfect for Parcells (save his height and weight but that didn't stop Parcells from drafting Burnett).

Chad Henne Michigan -Showed a nice arm. most ready to go of all the
Joe Flacco Delaware - The gun just floored people/ rough start to week but picked up later on/ highest upside of any QB in draft but you'll have to wait three years before you know

Starting to like Henne and Flacco more and more.

I've always had Chauncey on my board because I just can't ignore an ex-HS teammate who could become an NFL Player (maybe even a Dolphin!).

Martin Rucker Missouri blocking improved as week went along. That was the major concern going inA lot of people like Fred Davis, but I've been more interested in Martin Rucker in a later round. That TD and his improvement in blocking have impressed me.

Gosder Cherilus Boston College -This guy has been up and down all year for me. Expected the world early this season. Had a disappointing season the left side IMO and just came right back with a real good week

Cherius I think really solidified himself as a good RT but as a LT, still has questions.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State What a week and game. Him and McKelvin really muddled the CB picture draftwise

I want DRC. I wanted him in a Fins uni before the Senior Bowl and offseason, I want him in a Fins uni now, and I still want him in a Fins uni even if someone else drafts him. Just reminds me too much of his cousin Antonio.

Losers
Adarius Bowman Oklahoma State Tons of drops but Henne and Flacco loved him. Rough week but I still like him

Really disappointed in Bowman in the Senior Bowl. He was my early tab to be the big target WR that we so sorely need and what separates the Super Bowl teams from the rest of the teams. I can only hope he bounces back with a good 40 time in the Combine and private workouts.

Tracy Porter Indiana Really thought he copuld have been a first rounder but although he's good in coverage he plays a little soft in run support. Probably 2nd rounder, maybe 3rd

I always thought Porter wasn't a 1st rounder. Still would be an upgrade for our team.

uga3406
01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
rucker is going to be a stud..i hope we land him

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Great writeup. Agreed 100%. Only thing I would add is Bruce Davis to the winners. He really showed he could play LB with the same energy as he did when he was with us at DE. 4 solo tackles and was always around the ball with his speed. I really really hope we can draft him because he's almost perfect for Parcells (save his height and weight but that didn't stop Parcells from drafting Burnett).

I've always had Chauncey on my board because I just can't ignore an ex-HS teammate who could become an NFL Player (maybe even a Dolphin!).

Cherius I think really solidified himself as a good RT but as a LT, still has questions.

Really disappointed in Bowman in the Senior Bowl. He was my early tab to be the big target WR that we so sorely need and what separates the Super Bowl teams from the rest of the teams. I can only hope he bounces back with a good 40 time in the Combine and private workouts.

I always thought Porter wasn't a 1st rounder. Still would be an upgrade for our team.

You know I gotta tell you. You're the one who made me aware of Bruce Davis and I really, really like him. I think you're spot on with him. The reason I left him off is he really was having trouble dropping into coverage which is to be expected. I think he will be a great pickup but I dont think his stock moved up or down during this week. 2nd or 3rd rounder. Combine will determine which

Awesome about Chauncey lol. He's an enemy though. Dont show that sig to him, lol.

Yeah I would really have to hate my QB to play Cherilous at LOT. Definitely an ROT

I dont think Bowman was that disappointing, its just he really had a chance to shine but had too many drops. Huge mismatch though. And the fact that Henne and Flacco spoke the world of him speaks alot more to me than the rough week he had. I still like him and I think he could be areal bargain if his stock falls due to this week

DRC was sick and Porter disappointed me. I probably expected too much of him going in

Regan21286
01-28-2008, 02:00 AM
You know I gotta tell you. You're the one who made me aware of Bruce Davis and I really, really like him. I think you're spot on with him. The reason I left him off is he really was having trouble dropping into coverage which is to be expected. I think he will be a great pickup but I dont think his stock moved up or down during this week. 2nd or 3rd rounder. Combine will determine which

Awesome about Chauncey lol. He's an enemy though. Dont show that sig to him, lol.

Yeah I would really have to hate my QB to play Cherilous at LOT. Definitely an ROT

I dont think Bowman was that disappointing, its just he really had a chance to shine but had too many drops. Huge mismatch though. And the fact that Henne and Flacco spoke the world of him speaks alot more to me than the rough week he had. I still like him and I think he could be areal bargain if his stock falls due to this week

DRC was sick and Porter disappointed me. I probably expected too much of him going in

Yea, he did have some issues with coverage after playing at DE for so long. Because of it, he never finished his training at LB at UCLA. Those issues are mostly due to inexperience rather than physical or mental inabilities. He has the speed and ball-hawking ability to be an effective coverage LB and still be the dynamic pass rushing guy he excels at being. We have the capability to just have Davis on solely as a pass rusher (sort of a Bradie James role) while he gets up to speed on LB techniques. He could always sub in for Porter once in a while.

Haha, I've shown it to Chauncey numerous occasions. There are a lot more where that came from :D. But he still sends me and other former teammates tix to games (last one I had time for was Rose Bowl vs. Michigan). Hopefully, he can send me Dolphins tix in the future. :wink:

Yea, if you notice, the team was running on Cherius's side almost all game long. Guy knows how to push the pile. Just can't handle the pass rush on the left.

I sort of hope Bowman's stock can drop so we can get him cheaper. But this was just too uncharacteristic of him to even have those drops in the first place. He could've made himself a 1st round candidate easily with his talent (fortunately for us he didn't). I think he can bounce back (but not too much :lol:).

DRC really needed to show he could compete with higher competition levels and he did. I just hope he didn't push himself out of our reach because I would throw that #32 pick at him so fast, the Giants wouldn't have even put down their phone yet after their pick. :)

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Yea, he did have some issues with coverage after playing at DE for so long. Because of it, he never finished his training at LB at UCLA. Those issues are mostly due to inexperience rather than physical or mental inabilities. He has the speed and ball-hawking ability to be an effective coverage LB and still be the dynamic pass rushing guy he excels at being. We have the capability to just have Davis on solely as a pass rusher (sort of a Bradie James role) while he gets up to speed on LB techniques. He could always sub in for Porter once in a while.

Haha, I've shown it to Chauncey numerous occasions. There are a lot more where that came from :D. But he still sends me and other former teammates tix to games (last one I had time for was Rose Bowl vs. Michigan). Hopefully, he can send me Dolphins tix in the future. :wink:

Yea, if you notice, the team was running on Cherius's side almost all game long. Guy knows how to push the pile. Just can't handle the pass rush on the left.

I sort of hope Bowman's stock can drop so we can get him cheaper. But this was just too uncharacteristic of him to even have those drops in the first place. He could've made himself a 1st round candidate easily with his talent (fortunately for us he didn't). I think he can bounce back (but not too much :lol:).

DRC really needed to show he could compete with higher competition levels and he did. I just hope he didn't push himself out of our reach because I would throw that #32 pick at him so fast, the Giants wouldn't have even put down their phone yet after their pick. :)

Nothing would please me more than having the 1st pick in the 2nd round following the Giants:up:

General Tso
01-28-2008, 02:09 AM
I think the place kickers need to be added to your losers list. Missing short field goals in an all-star game isn't going to help your draft status.

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 02:18 AM
I think the place kickers need to be added to your losers list. Missing short field goals in an all-star game isn't going to help your draft status.

Very true. Whoever they are they all stunk

biggtyme13
01-28-2008, 02:43 AM
6'1" is shorter than you want and 295 is lighter than you want IMO. Sedrick Ellis makes it work so its not a career killer but its not prototypical size

Laws is a 3-4 end he had 112 tackles playing in that scheme and 6'1 is ideal height for a nose tackle for leverage. Laws is a solid 3-4 end.

Conuficus
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Laws is a 3-4 end he had 112 tackles playing in that scheme and 6'1 is ideal height for a nose tackle for leverage. Laws is a solid 3-4 end.

Yeah, he is. I think you told me that ND played the 3-4. His hustle will appeal to anyone who runs the scheme.

But how about Ellis playing the nose like he did. I really just thought of him as being an undertackle in the cover-2 scheme. He showed me something there.

And Carl Nicks I've been talking about since last week Tuesday. He will work out as a LT prospect.

zach8111
01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
i think you have to put jack ikegwouonu Cb wisconson as a loser considering he got hurt and i think they are saying he tour something.

biggtyme13
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, he is. I think you told me that ND played the 3-4. His hustle will appeal to anyone who runs the scheme.

But how about Ellis playing the nose like he did. I really just thought of him as being an undertackle in the cover-2 scheme. He showed me something there.

And Carl Nicks I've been talking about since last week Tuesday. He will work out as a LT prospect.

The thing is it is easy to say that these guys like Ellis and Dorsey are 4-3 prototypes and cant play the nose but I think our evaluaters should make that decision. Id prefer that we didnt pay #1 money on a nose tackle and would rather get a guy like Athyba Rubin to clog the middle and take on blockers.

If we take Dorsey or Ellis and have them play nose these boards are gonna be littered with this guy is a bust posts because in a 3-4 its not the lines job to make plays its to occupy blockers and keep the LB core free.

JsBaugh
01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Flacco did not impress me that much. So what, he has a good week throwing with no pressure. I thought he showed in the game that he is a project QB that could take a couple of years to develop. I do agree that Henne had a good week and a pretty good game.
This is only going to hurt Ryan and Brohm. If they dont perform well at the combine I would watch them drop, because we already know that Henne will probably do well based off this past week.

Conuficus
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
The thing is it is easy to say that these guys like Ellis and Dorsey are 4-3 prototypes and cant play the nose but I think our evaluaters should make that decision. Id prefer that we didnt pay #1 money on a nose tackle and would rather get a guy like Athyba Rubin to clog the middle and take on blockers.

If we take Dorsey or Ellis and have them play nose these boards are gonna be littered with this guy is a bust posts because in a 3-4 its not the lines job to make plays its to occupy blockers and keep the LB core free.

I think you got the impression i wanted Ellis at #1. I'd much rather C. Long, and have been for a while. I do however really like Carl Nicks.

biggtyme13
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I think you got the impression i wanted Ellis at #1. I'd much rather C. Long, and have been for a while. I do however really like Carl Nicks.

Im just talking in general I think we both agree that Long is the best choice at 1 right now for us. Im wanting more and more to trade out of 1 due to our needs. Id rather take a Laws in 3 and Rubin in say 4 then pay crazy loot to a lineman.

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
i think you have to put jack ikegwouonu Cb wisconson as a loser considering he got hurt and i think they are saying he tour something.

Good point. Really tough break for the kid

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm with you on your thinking here. Give me a fat body in the 3rd or 4th to man the nose and spend our higher picks on the more athletically demanding positions

adamprez2003
01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Flacco did not impress me that much. So what, he has a good week throwing with no pressure. I thought he showed in the game that he is a project QB that could take a couple of years to develop. I do agree that Henne had a good week and a pretty good game.
This is only going to hurt Ryan and Brohm. If they dont perform well at the combine I would watch them drop, because we already know that Henne will probably do well based off this past week.

Regarding Flacco, I dont think anyone was expecting a polished product coming in. He proved his arm is a missile and whoever drafts him is going to have to wait two or three years until he improves his footwork, pocket presence and reading ability.

Agreed on Henne

I actually think Ryan and Brohm might have improved their stock by sitting out with only Henne really shining all around. Doubt he moves past Brohm though. He probably moved past Woodson though

Finole
01-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Just posted this in draft section. What do you guys think

Here's my take on the players that helped themselves and hurt themselves this past week. The criteria I am using is a change of perception regarding their abilities. If players played exactly as expected they didnt make the lists.

This is just my preliminary take after watching the week's practices and game. I got the game on tape so if I have changes or players to add or take out I'll revise it

BTW - This was kind of stream of consciousness so if you disagree with any let me know. It'll give me some pointers on who to watch for when i hit the vcr

In no particular order

Winners

QB
Chad Henne Michigan -Showed a nice arm. most ready to go of all the QBs

RB
Matt Forte Tulane Really displayed nice power and burst
Jacob Hester L.S.U. Gritty guy, just a football player
Tashard Choice Georgia Tech Another guy I wasnt expecting but showed great potential as backup
Rafael Little Kentucky Injuries hurt his senior year but showed well this week
justin Forsett California personally not my cup of tea but he impressed others

FB
Owen Schmitt West Virginia Nice pop

TE
Jacob Tamme Kentucky Thought he had a good week
Kellen Davis Michigan State Really showed that he could be a force down the road with the sick height he possesses
Brad Cottam Tenneessee Absolutely a Parcells type. Just a tough guy who showed surpisingly soft hands and decent ability to get an extra couple of yds in a bull in a china shop kinda way
Martin Rucker Missouri blocking improved as week went along. That was the major concern going in

WR
Lavelle Hawkins California Desean's partner in crime really shined all week
Eddie Royal Virginia Tech VT was a tough scholl to scout these guys due to the system but he showed he belongs
Andre Caldwell Florida What a catch plus a great week equals rising stock
Donnie Avery Houston needs to work on routes but speed is there
Dexter Jackson Appalachian State Same as Avery
Dorien Bryant Purdue Really showed something. Wasnt on my radar before this week

OL
Oneil Cousins U.T.E.P. This guy will be a great guard in the NFL
Carl Nicks Nebraska - Wow, just wow. made himself alot of money this week
Chris Williams Vanderbilt Borderline 1st round performance this week

DL
Sedric Ellis U.S.C. MVP of senior BOWL WEEK
Lawrence Jackson U.S.C. Really nice week
Cliff Avrill Purdue Didnt dominate but I thought he held his own and he's here due to my poor expectations of him going in
Red Bryant Texas A&M I just love this guy. Nasty little mean streak. Perfect NT for 3-4 though not a dominator but rather a load type. Will have to be rotated however
Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest - Remember this name. Quiet week media wise but this guy is the real deal. Not a sack artist but more a shut down run with some pass rush ability. Type of guy who could put up 5 to 7 sacks but stone the run. Had a pass deflection in game. Impressed during week

LB
Ali Highsmith L.S.U. All over the place
Jordan Dizon Colorado needs to be protected at next level but could play in 4-3. reminds me of a poor man's zach thomas
Xavier Adibi Virginia Tech This guy really surprised me
Keith Rivers U.S.C. Excellent week
Phillip Wheeler Georgia Tech Another guy who was great all weeek

DB
Leodis McKelvin Troy State Could have moved himself to #1 CB
Chevis Jackson L.S.U. Really liked his game
Thomas DeCoud California Thought he handled himself well this week
Patrick Lee Auburn great week
Tom Zbikowski Notre Dame I really thought this guy had bust written all over but he played alot better than I expected. He's a legit prospect

Losers

QB
Colt Brennan Hawaii Might have played himself into the 6th or 7th round. Weighing in at 185 (flu excuse) didnt help
Andre Woodson Kentucky Couldnt match the performance of Henne and the excitement of Flacco. Could drop to 5th QB
Erik Ainge Tennessee Absolutely horrible week, capped by a last minute TD drive Dont think it was enough to make up for the week

WR
Jordy Nelson Kansas State Great week but speed is an issue. I think the speed issue is going to drop him. Still like him though
Limas Sweed Texas Just seemed to me before the injury he wasnt getting seperation. Think he dropped out of first

OL
Kory Lichtensteiger B.G.S.U. Horrible game
Mike McGlynn Pittsburgh Horrible week

DL
Jason Jones Eastern Michigan bad week

DB
DuJuan Tribble Boston College had much higher expectations for him. still like him but he's probably a 4th rounder at best

Nice analysis.

Sedrick Ellis looks great. And so does Trevor Laws. But I think Red Bryant is the most likely candidate to be our NT. Could be our late 2nd round pick.

Lawrence Jackson is too small (261 lbs) to play DE in a 3-4 defense and too slow (4.89) to play OLB. He seems like a 4-3 guy to me.

Cliff Avrill and Jeremy Thompson are both OLB candidates, but neither would be my first choice. But I like Thompson a lot if we were running a 4-3.

I really like what I saw of Leodis McKelvin. It would be great if we could get him at the top of the 2nd round.

If McKelvin is off the board, then the guy I really like (and have liked all season) is Tracy Porter. Great, great, great cover man. And something else I've noticed about Porter. He may not be a big hitter, but he is effective against the run. If he gets his hands on a RB I guarantee you that guy is not scoring. Unless he's only a couple of yards away from the endzone.

I'm not a big fan of Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud, Patrick Lee, or Tom Zbikowski. I would pass on all four of those guys.

I'm not crazy about Andre Woodson, either. I know Boomer likes him. And I bet Woodson is impressive at the Combine. But I would pass.

Wow. Colt Brennan has a 4th round grade now. Erik Ainge, on the other hand, now has a 3rd round grade.

Joe Flacco is getting a lot of attention. Can't say he impressed me in the Senior Bowl game itself. But I don't know much about him.

Jordy Nelson got a lot attention during the week. But he was another guy who didn't have a great game. Not worth our 4th round pick. But an interesting option with our 6th if he's still on the board.

Lavelle Hawkins, on the other hand, looked great. Seems like a playmaker if you ask me. A steal in the 4th. But he'll probably go before then. Would Parcells and Ireland spend our 3rd round pick on him?..... Probably not. If he improves on his 40-time at the Combine he could even go in the 2nd round.

Pass on Adarius Bowman. We got rid of Chambers. Still have Hagan. We don't need another WR with suspect hands.

Pass on DuJuan Tribble. And then pass on him again. If you like Jamar Fletcher then you'll love DuJuan Tribble.

Finole
01-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Other guys who stood out to me:

Martin Rucker looked good, but so did Brad Cottam. And he is bigger. If we're subscribing to the Planet Theory, then Cottam is the guy. But now we might not be able to get him in the 4th round. Which may be just as well with his injury history.

Gosder Cherilus is a Planet Theory guy. Another possible 2nd round pick for us.

From what I've heard, Parcells and Ireland don't like to take WRs early, so don't get your hopes up for Andre Caldwell.

I'm thinking we might take Jason Rivers or Justin Harper in the 7th. Or we might sign Danny Amendola, Taj Smith, or Jabari Arthur as an UDFA.

Terrell Thomas is a hard-hitting CB. But we already have Will Allen.

Bruce Davis has the makings of an excellent OLB in a 3-4 defense. Could be our 3rd round pick. I much prefer him to Shawn Crable.

Quintin Demps impressed me in the game. I didn't get a chance to see a single UTEP game, so the Senior Bowl was my first glimpse of him.

Philip Wheeler would be a steal in the 3rd round. A steal I tell ya! Want an improved run defense? Then draft Red Bryant and Philip Wheeler. Check. Next...

I like Chris Ellis, but not in a 3-4 defense.

Oniel Cousins was labeled as nasty. Gotta like that. Would be nice (although unlikely) if he slipped to the 4th round.

Pass on John David Booty. Remember Parcells QB Commandments? Don't be a pretty boy.

Roy Schuening could be a Dolphin next year.

I've been trying to see Beau Bell play all year. I finally get a chance, and he gets injured. Also, I heard he was very stiff in practice, but if he slips to the 4th round, who knows?

Kendall Langford looks like a player. Is he big enough to play DE in a 3-4? Probably not big enough for Parcells and Ireland.

Pass on Jacob Tamme.

Wesley Woodyard impressed me in his Bowl game. And he impressed me again in the Senior Bowl. If we miss on Jamar Adams in the 3rd, then hopefully Woodyard will be there in the 4th. But he'll have convert from OLB to SS.

Love Owen Schmitt! But we already have Mauia. And Jacob Hester is way more versatile. Hester could backup Ronnie.

Peyton Hillis had the best run of the night.

Kirk Barton would be a great 5th round pick. Unfortunately, we don't have one.

I'm a fan of Andre Fluellen, but I'm biased. Unfortunately, he's not a good fit for a 3-4 defense.

Marcus Harrison blocked two passes. Defintely a player. A potential 6th rounder for us for sure.

Pass on Jordon Dizon. I don't care how good he was in the Senior Bowl. I saw him play during the regular season, and he did not impress me. Plus he doesn't fit the Planet Theory.

I thought Mike Dragosavich had a better game than Durant Brooks, but I don't know if that means much in regards to punters.

I hope Brett Kern goes undrafted.

Barry Richardson is a Planet Theory guy. Definitely a potential 6th round pick for us.

Why does Gary Guyton still have a 7th round grade? This guy would be a steal for us in the 7th round. A steal I tell ya! I was "scouting" Philip Wheeler, and I kept noticing the OLB playing next to him making tackle after tackle.

Guyton might not be as fast Bruce Davis but he has a nose for the football. He had 5 solo tackles. Same as Dan Connor. And Guyton didn't get run over by a running back. Of course, he didn't get an INT either.

Big time pass on Brandon Coutu. Wow, did he suck. Glad we're not in the market for a kicker.

Thought we might have a shot at Chauncey Washington as an UDFA. Not anymore.

Finole
01-29-2008, 12:05 AM

He's a junior.

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Martin Rucker looked good, but so did Brad Cottam. And he is bigger. If we're subscribing to the Planet Theory, then Cottam is the guy. But now we might not be able to get him in the 4th round. Which may be just as well with his injury history.

From what I've heard, Parcells and Ireland don't like to take WRs early, so don't get your hopes up for Andre Caldwell.

Bruce Davis has the makings of an excellent OLB in a 3-4 defense. Could be our 3rd round pick. I much prefer him to Shawn Crable.

Thought we might have a shot at Chauncey Washington as an UDFA. Not anymore.

I can be happy with Rucker in the 3rd or 4th round.

I don't think Caldwell's the WR we need on this roster anyways. I think we need a big target WR like TO, Moss, Braylon, heck even a Vincent Jackson or DJ Hackett type of WR. Someone who can make those leaping grabs in the end zone or first down mark yet still have the capability of going deep. But I do think Parcell's relations with Glenn (despite him not wanting to draft Glenn) will make him at least more favorable to drafting a WR early.

Bruce Davis will be an excellent OLB in a 3-4. Pack on a few pounds and he'll be perfect for Parcells. If he's our 3rd round pick, I'm getting my signed 44 jersey framed.

And if Chauncey is likewise drafted by us, then my old autographed HS beanie goes right next to it (it was kinda odd to ask a teammate for an autograph in the middle of the season, but I knew this guy had a great chance at being something special).

Finole
01-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Sedrick Ellis looks great. And so does Trevor Laws. But I think Red Bryant is the most likely candidate to be our NT. Could be our late 2nd round pick.

I was just watching some more of the Senior Bowl after I posted. Mike Mayock was saying that Sedrick Ellis is more of a NT-type and would be a good fit in a 3-4 defense. A better fit than Dorsey in fact. His words not mine.

So a new thought occurs...

We draft Sedrick Ellis in the 1st. He becomes our NT.

I forgot how tall Red Bryant is. He is 6-5. That's a little tall for a NT. Bryant would be a better candidate for DE. We could still draft him in the 2nd.

Then we'd have Holliday, Bryant, and Ellis for our front three. What do you guys think?

Finole
01-29-2008, 05:26 AM
I can be happy with Rucker in the 3rd or 4th round.

Rucker is more a receiver than a blocker. Personally, I prefer the TE to be more of a blocker. Sort of a sixth offensive lineman who sometimes catches the ball.

I'd rather throw it to Lorenzo Booker out of the backfield than our TE. But that's my own personal bias.

I don't think Caldwell's the WR we need on this roster anyways. I think we need a big target WR like TO, Moss, Braylon, heck even a Vincent Jackson or DJ Hackett type of WR. Someone who can make those leaping grabs in the end zone or first down mark yet still have the capability of going deep.

I agree.

Bruce Davis will be an excellent OLB in a 3-4. Pack on a few pounds and he'll be perfect for Parcells. If he's our 3rd round pick, I'm getting my signed 44 jersey framed.

If we draft Sedrick Ellis instead of Chris Long, I think Davis will definitely be a target in the 2nd or 3rd round.

And if Chauncey is likewise drafted by us, then my old autographed HS beanie goes right next to it (it was kinda odd to ask a teammate for an autograph in the middle of the season, but I knew this guy had a great chance at being something special).

If we don't draft Jacob Hester, then Washington would be an excellent 7th round pick. They mentioned during the Senior Bowl that he's battled injuries in the past. What do you know about this?

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Rucker is more a receiver than a blocker. Personally, I prefer the TE to be more of a blocker. Sort of a sixth offensive lineman who sometimes catches the ball.

I can understand that line of thought. But I've always been a proponent of a TE utilized more as a receiver in the middle. Sort of like a Jason Witten or Jeremy Shockey. It's what garnishes Pro Bowl nods and adds a great safety valve for any QB in a hurry.

If we don't draft Jacob Hester, then Washington would be an excellent 7th round pick. They mentioned during the Senior Bowl that he's battled injuries in the past. What do you know about this?

He has been banged up a lot even in high school. Had a knee injury in high school that cost him 5 games. Naturally, we couldn't produce a drop of offense in those five games, so he's had experience being the go-to and mostly the only guy on offense. Was touted as possibly able to beat out Bush and White for starter spot until ankle injury. Rest is history. Hamstring injury later after 2 years of academic ineligibility (even in HS, wasn't the brightest guy in his classes). Sprained right shoulder and continued to have issues with his knee last season. The last time we txted, he said he was feeling better than he ever had since sophomore year (the time he steamrolled me in summer camp/tryouts). That was roughly 2 months ago before the UCLA-USC game.

DonShula84
01-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Nice write up ap. Glad Laws did well for himself, named the games most outstanding lineman. Guy was the one bright spot on a bad ND team, it was a joke that he wasnt an all-american. Too bad Carlson got sick and couldnt show up. I'm surprised Zibby did so well, although I'm an ND fan I'm not sold on him.

Elliott 1
01-29-2008, 06:17 AM
6'1" is shorter than you want and 295 is lighter than you want IMO. Sedrick Ellis makes it work so its not a career killer but its not prototypical size

Trevor played End last year and recorded 113 tackles almost breaking the Notre Dame record.

He is a champion wrestler, not just a wrestler, a champion wrestler, and if he found himself on a 3-4 defense he could beef up and play very effectively at about 310 which isn't perfect but a mangler like him would probably still become an all-pro at the position.

I would not be surprised if he turned out to be the best DL of this years draft class. Wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised.

High character, super intelligent,supercharged, Gold, pure Gold right here.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
ainge wasn't all dink and dunk to be fair. He had some really nice throws on some intermediate routes. He was very efficient. Showed amazing poise, so I don't agree with your assesment of him.

I don't really agree with your assesment of flacco either. Practice is practice... any joe schmoe can have a good week of practice. I wanted to see more of him in a game situation. He had the one pic, and the one TD that got called back.. I thought the td should have been allowed. But how can you say he was a sure winner... like you said he started the week off rough... than didn't exactly blow anybodys socks off in the game.

I do love his upside though, I just wonder if you aren't a little too in love with him already. I'm not flaming I am just saying... however.. if you are from delaware or something and saw him play quite a bit thats one thing. But playing division is a bunch different the division one, let alone the nfl.
I'm going to keep an eye on him at the combine though thats for sure.

Pretty much agreed with the rest of your post though, I love sedrick ellis and trevor laws. and if we don't find a way to land DRC, I will be quite disapointed.
If hester drops as far as everyone says, I would nab him in a heartbeat with a 6 or 7. throw him in at slot, he can catch and can run well. it would be like having a wes welker all over again... only a bit bulkier.

good read

Mr772
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
DRC baby! Rogers-Cromartie looked like a shutdown corner, great speed excellent closing speed on his breaks and excellent ball skills.

I though Ainge looked like the best QB, very good in the game, I didn't watch any of the practices. He moved the ball very well and showed poise plus his ball control was better IMO than the rest of the qb's.

Ellis looked like more of a fit for our team (3-4) as a 0 or 1 technique than Dorsey.