PDA

View Full Version : Hop Aboard the Sedrick Ellis Bandwagon

PhinsPhan122
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm driving it. The man is a beast. He needs to be wearing a 'Phins uniform next year.

RoninFin4
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I guess I'll stick to driving my own Vernon Gholston bandwagon. Although being from Cincinnati - there's a lot of talk about Sedrick Ellis and how the Bengals won't be able to sniff him now as they were hoping this kid would fall to them. The kid was pretty impressive during the Senior Bowl form the sounds of it.

rev kev
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
He said he liked "competition" in the post-game interview and that he wouldn't shy away from it...

There seemed to be a hidden adenda in that statement - too many top picks were hiding there wears...

I liked his attitude...

MrTree
01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
If we trade down then sure he would be great.

But why draft Ellis when a better DT is available to us?

PhinsPhan122
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I guess I'll stick to driving my own Vernon Gholston bandwagon. Although being from Cincinnati - there's a lot of talk about Sedrick Ellis and how the Bengals won't be able to sniff him now as they were hoping this kid would fall to them. The kid was pretty impressive during the Senior Bowl form the sounds of it.

Vernon Gholston is a man as well. If we trade down I'd be on that bandwagon for sure, but he hasn't jumped in the top five in my opinion.

PublixSubsRule
01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Ellis was really impressive at the Senior Bowl. During the game the South had a double team on him almost every play, and he still made them pay. I wouldn't mind trading down a few picks and getting Him. He is probably just a little bit behind of Dorsey as far as pure talent goes; However with Ellis' personality (competitor; playing in Senior Bowl) and Dorsey's injury history I really wouldn't mind drafting him.

RoninFin4
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Vernon Gholston is a man as well. If we trade down I'd be on that bandwagon for sure, but he hasn't jumped in the top five in my opinion.

Point taken. If he does as well in the combine as I expect he'll do, then I think that might shake up some people's opinions. I'm just going to hate it if he ends up as a Jet w/the 6th pick or the Pats at 7.

PhinsPhan122
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Point taken. If he does as well in the combine as I expect he'll do, then I think that might shake up some people's opinions. I'm just going to hate it if he ends up as a Jet w/the 6th pick or the Pats at 7.
Yeah, that most definitely suck. Hopefully Kansas City would take him, or somehow the Jets and Pats pass on him.

JT#1
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Ellis was really impressive at the Senior Bowl. During the game the South had a double team on him almost every play, and he still made them pay. I wouldn't mind trading down a few picks and getting Him. He is probably just a little bit behind of Dorsey as far as pure talent goes; However with Ellis' personality (competitor; playing in Senior Bowl) and Dorsey's injury history I really wouldn't mind drafting him.
i agree Ellis is a great player, but i really can;t stand (this isn't a shot at you just in general)when people call dorsey injury prone, He has only missed one game ever. And that was after taking a massive cheap shot in a game he came back into!

Regan21286
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't think Ellis is really right for the 3-4 NT position...

Spicy Henne
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
If we trade down then sure he would be great.

But why draft Ellis when a better DT is available to us?

After watching him in the Senior Bowl & practices, I'm not so sure Sedrick Ellis isn't the best DT in this draft.

He is an incredibly disruptive pass rusher from that position

Nappy Roots
01-28-2008, 07:41 PM

he would be a very good 3-4 DE though.

also, i agree with RoninFin4. im a big Gholston fan. but we cant take him at 1 so...

PhinsPhan122
01-28-2008, 07:45 PM

He played some NT in the Senior Bowl. He lined up across from the center and was responsible for two gaps. Check out the highlights on NFL.com. He looked fine.

Regan21286
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
He played some NT in the Senior Bowl. He lined up across from the center and was responsible for two gaps. Check out the highlights on NFL.com. He looked fine.

From what I saw, kinda blurry, but they were running 4-3, which means Ellis was DT, not NT.

lbmclean_sj
01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Teddy Bruschi played NT in college.....

it sucks that we have to be salivating over DT's for the first pick in the draft, I would much prefer a franchise LT. DT seems like a bad value for the first pick in the draft

at this point I would prefer Chris Long or Matt Ryan

#1dolphinsfan
01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
we can Swap Firsts with them and take Chad Johnson

PhinsPhan122
01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Sedrick Ellis CAN PLAY NT! This guy says so (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805e21c1).

RoninFin4
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
we can Swap Firsts with them and take Chad Johnson

I don't think Gholston makes it past 6 or 7 w/the Jets and Pats running a 3-4.

Mr772
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM

I have to disagree. He plays the 0 and 1 technique very well. I think he will be a very disruptive NT. He has the rare ability to have the strength to hold up at the point of attack as well as the explosive push to get to the QB up the middle.

He does not have Glen Dorsey explosion but he has better power to play as a NT.

IMO Chris Long is the top man on the DL coming out this year.

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
I have to disagree. He plays the 0 and 1 technique very well. I think he will be a very disruptive NT. He has the rare ability to have the strength to hold up at the point of attack as well as the explosive push to get to the QB up the middle.

He does not have Glen Dorsey explosion but he has better power to play as a NT.

IMO Chris Long is the top man on the DL coming out this year.

That would depend on whether he that strength will hold up against a C and G, which is what he'd likely face in a 3-4. He can take on a single lineman but I have my doubts as to whether he could face two. And there are some pretty strong C's in the league compared to college ranks.

#1 Fan
01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
choo! choo! i'm aboard. i'd love if we got him

Spray Mucus
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2008_nfl_mock_draft.htm

I still say no to the #1 pick, unless he pw3ns the combine.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
That would depend on whether he that strength will hold up against a C and G, which is what he'd likely face in a 3-4. He can take on a single lineman but I have my doubts as to whether he could face two. And there are some pretty strong C's in the league compared to college ranks.

did you not see him still getting sacks and safeties all the while being double teamed most of the senior bowl.

And if he is only occupying a C and G, that frees up our DE and LB's.
at worst, they would be singled and more than likely we would win that battle.
ellis is more than capable of playing NT. I haven't heard otherwise come out of any scout of mock draft gurus mouth since coverage began of College ball back last fall.

PhinsPhan122
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
did you not see him still getting sacks and safeties all the while being double teamed most of the senior bowl.

And if he is only occupying a C and G, that frees up our DE and LB's.
at worst, they would be singled and more than likely we would win that battle.
ellis is more than capable of playing NT. I haven't heard otherwise come out of any scout of mock draft gurus mouth since coverage began of College ball back last fall.

Yes. Exactly. If he can't play NT, then what college player right now can play NT?

Mike Mayock of NFL Network clearly stated he can play nose tackle, and he wouldn't just say that, he believes it, because it's true.

amir7
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
There is no doubt Ellis can play NT at the next level. people get two uptight about him not being huge, or weighing 330 pounds, but thats not important. This man is as strong as an ox, and will wow people at the bench press event at the combine. He also plays with proper leverage, and is great with his hand placements. he also has the quickness of the line to be disruptive.

the real questions are, that by playing him at nose tackle, wouldn't you be taking away his biggest strength, which is rushing the passer, and if so, would he be worth the #1 pick? I think so

#1dolphinsfan
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't think Gholston makes it past 6 or 7 w/the Jets and Pats running a 3-4.
i think he will get Past the Pats and but i dont know about the Jets if Chris long is Still avialble then i think he will fall 2 pick 9

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM

I saw him getting sacks and safeties in a 4-3. We'll have to see how strong he is at the Combine before judging. But right now, I do not believe he would be as effective as a 3-4 NT than he would be in a 4-3 system.

adamprez2003
01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I saw him getting sacks and safeties in a 4-3. We'll have to see how strong he is at the Combine before judging. But right now, I do not believe he would be as effective as a 3-4 NT than he would be in a 4-3 system.

I think the combine will be huge for Ellis. He seems more of a guy that shoots gaps rather than holdup at the point of attack but if he can show crazy power than who knows?

Nappy Roots
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
we dont have to wait for the combine

he 6-foot-1, 305-pound senior has grown so strong that the Trojans had to buy a set of 200-pound dumbbells for their weight room just to accommodate him. "Before, the heaviest we had were 160s," said Chris Carlisle, the Trojans' strength coach, who adds that Ellis can now do sets of eight reps on the incline bench with the bigger iron.

Inside the USC program, Ellis has merited comparisons to former All-American Mike Patterson, the gold standard of Trojans defensive linemen from this era. Carlisle, the team's strength coach, says Ellis is actually more powerful, but doesn't have the explosiveness that Patterson had. "Mike was a 10 on explosiveness and an eight on strength, where Sedrick is an eight on explosiveness and a 10 on strength."

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I think the combine will be huge for Ellis. He seems more of a guy that shoots gaps rather than holdup at the point of attack but if he can show crazy power than who knows?

I agree. It'll be his measuring point. The major point 3-4 teams will look at is strength and the 4-3, his speed. If he can pack on a few pounds and outmuscle the competition, he could be a viable NT option but I don't think it's worth drafting a DT as a #1 overall pick. And he'll likely drop no further than the 20's.

Xeticus
01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
it sucks that we have to be salivating over DT's for the first pick in the draft, I would much prefer a franchise LT. DT seems like a bad value for the first pick in the draft

at this point I would prefer Chris Long or Matt RyanI'm with you. I would love a franchise LT. We missed out on Joe Thomas, Levi Brown and Joe Staley last year. We had a decent running game and we have a new young QB. We finish solidifying the line and who knows how good Beck and Ronnie Brown will be for us. I personally would get some chub if we picked up Jake Long in the first round and then Joe Flacco in the 2nd. That's me though.

Finole
01-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm driving it. The man is a beast. He needs to be wearing a 'Phins uniform next year.

I'll gladly hop on board. Been a fan of Sedrick Ellis all season long.

Roman529
01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Sedrick Ellis plays the way Warren Sapp played in his younger days. He throws d-lineman around like silly, shuts down RB's coming up the middle, and throws QB's like ragdolls. He looks a little faster than Chris Long, even though he is smaller. Check out the highlights:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

2413fanphins
01-31-2008, 06:47 PM
If he plays like he played in the senior bowl, we'd really have something.

the likelihood of us getting him seems to be slim to none.

I think mayock was saying he could slide into the top five by the time the draft rolls around.

I have heard he takes weightlifting to a level that is simply unheard of.