PDA

View Full Version : Brohm Radio Interview

LouPhinFan
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Just wanted to share. Brohm just finished a radio interview on 93.9 "The Ticket" (ESPN radio) here in Louisville.
---------------------------

A few tidbits:

He had told the Senior Bowl reps that he wasn't going to be able to play a long time before the general public found out, but they asked him to keep it under wraps for fear of other big name players dropping out too. He really wanted to play because he thought Martz's timing offense that the South used would have shown off his strengths.

He's currently at Velocity in CA working out and getting his ankle back to 100%. His goal it to be 100% by the combine in Indy and to fully participate. However if the ankle isn't 100%, everyone will have to wait for his pro day at U of L.

He said he hasn't heard much, but most all teams are saying he is either the #1 or #2 QB in the draft.

He said 90% of the test is already finished, meaning the football season and his body of work on the field. This last 10% of the test, combines and such, are just to top everything off and that he really wants to showcase his abilities for this last "10%".

Nothing all that new, but I thought I would at least share the info. Brohm is very intelligent and it came across in his interview. He is very well spoken and you can tell he has his thoughts in order because he answered the questions quickly and throughly. I like that in a QB.

Take it for what its worth.

dominizzo
01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I see brohm dropping to the 2nd

Regan21286
01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I see brohm dropping to the 2nd

I doubt that but if he does, I'd take him with the #32.

dominizzo
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I doubt that but if he does, I'd take him with the #32.

Me and U togetta

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
definately not the #1 or #2 QB.

was he drugged up during this interview? perhaps the pain meds for the ankle are a bit too potent.

If I give this guy a dollar will he go buy a clue?

Have to wait and see how his pro day goes I guess, I don't see him making it for the combine. This dude is hurt every time I turn around.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 05:08 PM

was he drugged up during this interview? perhaps the pain meds for the ankle are a bit too potent.

Have to wait and see how his pro day goes I guess, I don't see him making it for the combine. This dude is hurt every time I turn around.

Who is your #2?

Brohm will be at least the 2nd QB taken in the draft, hes the safest pick.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
that depends on whether or not a team thinks he will stay healthy.

I am almost certain he has missed some time, each of the past two seasons. Am I wrong. Your not exactly an assett if you get hurt EVERY year.

why is he the safest pick?? You know he won't have any family coaching him in the nfl right.

right now, I wouldn't hesitate at all to put henne above brohm. depending on how the combine goes... if brohm even participates... not likely, I may slide flacco ahead of him.

brohm, JDB, woodson, a bunch of qb's who are vastly overrated in my opinion.

I could be wrong though. it's happened before, if I am i will be the first to admit it.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 06:03 PM
that depends on whether or not a team thinks he will stay healthy.

I am almost certain he has missed some time, each of the past two seasons. Am I wrong. Your not exactly an assett if you get hurt EVERY year.

why is he the safest pick?? You know he won't have any family coaching him in the nfl right.

right now, I wouldn't hesitate at all to put henne above brohm. depending on how the combine goes... if brohm even participates... not likely, I may slide flacco ahead of him.

brohm, JDB, woodson, a bunch of qb's who are vastly overrated in my opinion.

I could be wrong though. it's happened before, if I am i will be the first to admit it.

Brohm isnt superman, sorry he isnt made of steal, all QB's get hurt. Why isnt anyone talking about Chad Henne he got hurt this year and missed most of the season. Brohm played the whole season.

his Junior year he hurt his thumb and was out for 2 or 3 games, big deal. Not uncommon. He came back and dominated WV and then led Louisville to a Orange Bowl win.

Brohm is the Safer pick because you know that he wont turn the ball over, he throws the ball down feild, and he can read coverages better than you can read a book.

How is Brohm over rated but yet Matt Ryan who never won a bowl game, threw 19 INTS complted less then 60% of passes this season isnt over rated?

If Matt Ryan struggled that bad in college why does everyone think he will be better in the NFL?

LouPhinFan
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Seriously dude, that horse you're beating is dead now. You can stop. We get it you don't like Brian Brohm.

You don't have to get snide about it. "If I give this guy a dollar will he go buy a clue"? What kind of comment is that? The kid gave a good interview and was just repeating what all the teams are telling his agent. So I guess you're right and all the other NFL GMs are wrong.

I tell you what, when you have something constructive to add to this thread, by all means, go ahead and post away. But until that day comes why don't you enjoy the other threads here in the draft forum. OK?:up:

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Seriously dude, that horse you're beating is dead now. You can stop. We get it you don't like Brian Brohm.

You don't have to get snide about it. "If I give this guy a dollar will he go buy a clue"? What kind of comment is that? The kid gave a good interview and was just repeating what all the teams are telling his agent. So I guess you're right and all the other NFL GMs are wrong.

I tell you what, when you have something constructive to add to this thread, by all means, go ahead and post away. But until that day comes why don't you enjoy the other threads here in the draft forum. OK?:up:

ok bro... I realize your a homer and your gonna stick up for your guy, but c'mon. So are you sitting here telling me that brian brohm is the #1 or #2 qb on MOST EVERY TEAM, like the original poster said. I haven't heard anybody from within our franchise so much as mention his name. You don't have to turn it into a I think I'm right and all the NFL GM's are wrong scenario. Who ever said that.

I don't have dislike for brian brohm, I don't know the guy at all. I'm being realistic. Obviously your not. If you like the guy SO much that you can't listen to a little criticism of the guy, maybe you should take the blinders off.

His stats throughout his career are solid, I'll give you that. His sack numbers have gone up EVERY YEAR. He has a good completion percentage.
His td passes fluctuated from year to year, INT's went up every year.
Some of this most definately has to do with more attempts, but I haven't heard of one mel kiper or one mayock, or anybody, say this guy is the #1 QB.

A long time ago, he may have been #2, but I haven't heard that out of as many mouths either.

THIS is the fact of the matter, somebody said he missed time last year with a thumb injury. He is injured now with an ankle injury. Serious injuries or not, two years in a row he has injuries causing him to miss time. And than he says in an interview he is #1 or #2 QB by most all teams.

correct me if I am wrong, but I don't ever remember saying the guy sucked.
I don't remember saying I didn't like him.

I said he seems to be hurt a lot.

He says most teams put him at one or two, this is simply just hard to believe.

And just from a gentlemans perspective... if I disagree with what you thought about some iowa hawkeye, I wouldn't suggest you stay away from my threads. I don't know if this guy is your favorite player or what, but I don't think anything I said was that unfair. besides that, it was my opinion, and while some may disagree at the end of the day it's just another guys' opinion.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Brohm isnt superman, sorry he isnt made of steal, all QB's get hurt. Why isnt anyone talking about Chad Henne he got hurt this year and missed most of the season. Brohm played the whole season.

his Junior year he hurt his thumb and was out for 2 or 3 games, big deal. Not uncommon. He came back and dominated WV and then led Louisville to a Orange Bowl win.

Brohm is the Safer pick because you know that he wont turn the ball over, he throws the ball down feild, and he can read coverages better than you can read a book.

How is Brohm over rated but yet Matt Ryan who never won a bowl game, threw 19 INTS complted less then 60% of passes this season isnt over rated?

If Matt Ryan struggled that bad in college why does everyone think he will be better in the NFL?

correct me if I am wrong, didn't BC and therfore matt ryan just win a bowl game not too long ago.
How do you KNOW brian brohm won't turn the ball over? I'm curious really.

the reason nobody is talking about chad henne, is because it is a thread about BRIAN BROHM.

LouPhinFan
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
ok bro... I realize your a homer and your gonna stick up for your guy, but c'mon. So are you sitting here telling me that brian brohm is the #1 or #2 qb on MOST EVERY TEAM, like the original poster said. I haven't heard anybody from within our franchise so much as mention his name. You don't have to turn it into a I think I'm right and all the NFL GM's are wrong scenario. Who ever said that.

I don't have dislike for brian brohm, I don't know the guy at all. I'm being realistic. Obviously your not. If you like the guy SO much that you can't listen to a little criticism of the guy, maybe you should take the blinders off.

His stats throughout his career are solid, I'll give you that. His sack numbers have gone up EVERY YEAR. He has a good completion percentage.
His td passes fluctuated from year to year, INT's went up every year.
Some of this most definately has to do with more attempts, but I haven't heard of one mel kiper or one mayock, or anybody, say this guy is the #1 QB.

A long time ago, he may have been #2, but I haven't heard that out of as many mouths either.

THIS is the fact of the matter, somebody said he missed time last year with a thumb injury. He is injured now with an ankle injury. Serious injuries or not, two years in a row he has injuries causing him to miss time. And than he says in an interview he is #1 or #2 QB by most all teams.

correct me if I am wrong, but I don't ever remember saying the guy sucked.
I don't remember saying I didn't like him.

I said he seems to be hurt a lot.

He says most teams put him at one or two, this is simply just hard to believe.

And just from a gentlemans perspective... if I disagree with what you thought about some iowa hawkeye, I wouldn't suggest you stay away from my threads. I don't know if this guy is your favorite player or what, but I don't think anything I said was that unfair. besides that, it was my opinion, and while some may disagree at the end of the day it's just another guys' opinion.

I'm saying that if you don't have something constructive to post then move on to another thread. I sincerely hope its not your "opinion" that Brohm was on drugged up during his interview. I pretty sure you were just trying to make a joke, all be it not a very funny one.

Asking if he was on drugs during his interview or stating if "you gave him a dollar he could buy a clue" isn't being constructive. Its being snide and basically not very nice. You can question his stats and injuries and all that. Its par for the course, but do it in a constructive manner.

Oh, and I'm not going to apologize for being a "homer". I've seen every game the kid has played for the past 4 years and know how good a QB he is. I like what he's going to bring to whatever team that drafts him. There's a lot of misinformation out there about him because he went to Louisville instead of one of the "big boys". I'm just trying to keep people informed.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:00 PM
correct me if I am wrong, didn't BC and therfore matt ryan just win a bowl game not too long ago.
How do you KNOW brian brohm won't turn the ball over? I'm curious really.

the reason nobody is talking about chad henne, is because it is a thread about BRIAN BROHM.

Obvisouly you have no idea who Bian Brohm is and you have never seen him play. Brohm rarely makes mistakes unlike Matt Ryan, Chad Henne, ect who are a lot more inconsistant. Thats why Brohm is the safer pick b/c you know he will be smart with the football. I can not look into a crystal ball to be sure but Im going by history, and Matt Ryan and Chad Henne turn the ball over A LOT more than Brohm.

You mentioned you liked Chad Henne as the #2 QB and then you talk about how brohm cant make it through a whole season without getting hurt. Im pretty sure Brohm played every game this passed season and henne was the one who was hurt so I guess since Chad Henne got hurt hes now injury prone right?

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
if you followed him that much you can certainly tell me than...

is he durable.

Did he miss time every year he was the starter due to injury??

I don't think it's that out of the ordinary for a football player to be drugged up during an interview. I remember a lot of interviews favre was on painkillers.

DO the facts lean towards brohm being injury prone or not?

nobody asked you to apologize for being a homer... again reading into posts too much.

what misinformation are you referring too.

again... when was this guy ever the #1 QB on any experts mock draft?

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:05 PM

is he durable.

I don't think it's that out of the ordinary for a football player to be drugged up during an interview. I remember a lot of interviews favre was on painkillers.

nobody asked you to apologize for being a homer... again reading into posts too much.

You are an idiot Brohm was on the top of every boards before the season started

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
heres a link to a mock with brohm as the #1 http://sportsnewssouthwest.com/national-football-league-mock-draft/2008-nfl-mock-draft-sports-news-sout.html

so there you go, as you asked

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Obvisouly you have no idea who Bian Brohm is and you have never seen him play. Brohm rarely makes mistakes unlike Matt Ryan, Chad Henne, ect who are a lot more inconsistant. Thats why Brohm is the safer pick b/c you know he will be smart with the football. I can not look into a crystal ball to be sure but Im going by history, and Matt Ryan and Chad Henne turn the ball over A LOT more than Brohm.

You mentioned you liked Chad Henne as the #2 QB and then you talk about how brohm cant make it through a whole season without getting hurt. Im pretty sure Brohm played every game this passed season and henne was the one who was hurt so I guess since Chad Henne got hurt hes now injury prone right?

Do you have facts that support your statements. Show me where the consensus says brohm is the safer pick.

If we ever get to a point where there is just a henne or just a matt ryan thread, we can go that direction. this was a brian brohm centered thread.

yes henne got hurt. did he get hurt last year? IS he hurt now? IS he already saying that maybe he'll miss the combine??

I'm not positive but I seem to remember something happening to brohm at the USF game. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that one.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
heres a link to a mock with brohm as the #1 http://sportsnewssouthwest.com/national-football-league-mock-draft/2008-nfl-mock-draft-sports-news-sout.html

so there you go, as you asked

hey thanks bro... this is exactly what I have been asking for.

a mock dated sept 30 2007, and look at that...I'll be damned the order isn't even right. miami dolphins taking mcfadden with FOURTH OVERALL pick.

and whats up with NE pats gettin the 32nd pick given back to them, I thought that was taken away.

oh... you were serious? c'mon dude.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Do you have facts that support your statements. Show me where the consensus says brohm is the safer pick.

If we ever get to a point where there is just a henne or just a matt ryan thread, we can go that direction. this was a brian brohm centered thread.

yes henne got hurt. did he get hurt last year? IS he hurt now? IS he already saying that maybe he'll miss the combine??

I'm not positive but I seem to remember something happening to brohm at the USF game. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that one.

Its really just common sence. compare the numbers, watch the QB's play, Brohm is the safer pick.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
hey thanks bro... this is exactly what I have been asking for.

a mock dated sept 30 2007, and look at that...I'll be damned the order isn't even right. miami dolphins taking mcfadden with FOURTH OVERALL pick.

and whats up with NE pats gettin the 32nd pick given back to them, I thought that was taken away.

oh... you were serious? c'mon dude.

you said "show me a time where Brohm was #1"

your welcome sister :up:

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
the awesome part is you have yourself convinced your making sense...

A whole season goes by, and here I thought we were evaluating talent in a present day fashion, than you produce a mock draft that doesn't even have the draft order correct to support your mancrush on brohm.

I guess from this point on I can disregard most of if not all of your threads.
it was a great effort though bud.. you tried.

I will say you are definately in the minority though, unless of course you can convince everyone to revert to sept 07.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I think your just amazed I found one that fast, I could find more but Im done, you wanted to see a mock and I showed.

Myles Fynch
01-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Just wanted to share. Brohm just finished a radio interview on 93.9 "The Ticket" (ESPN radio) here in Louisville.

I haven't made my mind up on him yet, but I appreciate the contribution.

LouPhinFan
01-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Here is the injury history on Brohm:

Freshman year = none despite splitting even time with Stephan LaFlors

Sophomore year = torn ACL in Syracuse game on a scramble out of bounds, returned the next year and played just fine despite the Syracuse game being late in the year.

Junior year = torn ligaments in his non-throwing thumb after a UM defensive end landed on him. He returned 2 weeks early from the surgery to lead a victory over WVU.

Had minor offseason surgery on his non-throwing shoulder

Senior year = High ankle sprain in the first half of the final game of the year. Still came back in the second half to play and win the game. I don't really count this one since he didn't miss any time and high ankle sprains are common amongst athletes at any level. Hell, I've had several ankle sprains, including a high one throughout my basketball playing career.

Yes there is some injury concern. But not anymore than most other QBs in this year's draft.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Here is the injury history on Brohm:

Freshman year = none despite splitting even time with Stephan LaFlors

Sophomore year = torn ACL in Syracuse game on a scramble out of bounds, returned the next year and played just fine despite the Syracuse game being late in the year.

Junior year = torn ligaments in his non-throwing thumb after a UM defensive end landed on him. He returned 2 weeks early from the surgery to lead a victory over WVU.

Had minor offseason surgery on his non-throwing shoulder

Senior year = High ankle sprain in the first half of the final game of the year. Still came back in the second half to play and win the game. I don't really count this one since he didn't miss any time and high ankle sprains are common amongst athletes at any level. Hell, I've had several ankle sprains, including a high one throughout my basketball playing career.

Yes there is some injury concern. But not anymore than most other QBs in this year's draft.

this is exactly what I was getting at. I appreciate your taking the time to help illustrate my point. I know it kind of went against your pov, but at least now we are on common ground. I have never doubted the kids abilities, but as my previous posts have hinted at... I have questioned his durability.

I still differ on your opinion of the high ankle sprain... supposedly this is why he skipped the senior bowl. So is it a ploy or is he really hurt. This could also be seen as missing time if it is indeed due to an injury.

My favorite part of this all, is that you unlike some other posters, seem to up to DATE on the matter. I suppose brohm was the expected #1 pick when atlanta was projected to have the one spot, and PETRINO was still the head coach. fast forward to the present and we haven't heard much of brohm's name being tossed around.

yet another one of my points that charlie brown can't get pounded into his head. A mock draft from the basically the beginning of the season holds absolutely no value today... I don't think anybody besides charlie brown would dispute that.

thanks for the info on the injuries, your post had some insight to it.
I guarantee I pay more attention to your posts, than to some of your fellow brohm fan club guys' posts.

thanks again louphinfan

LouPhinFan
01-30-2008, 07:09 AM
He could have played in the senior bowl, but he wouldn't have been at 100%. If it was a Big East game, yeah he would have played.

His name isn't being bantered around right now probably because of the Petrino thing, you're right. I'll say the odds-on bet is that he'll be ready for the combine since its still a couple of weeks away. His name will enter the discussion again at that point.

Bumpus
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
:lol:
This has been interesting reading...

IMHO, Brohm is the best QB in the draft. I'm praying that the opinion voiced by 2413fanphins is one that is shared by GM's all over the league, so we can steal him in the 2nd round.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
If we nab him in the second it may be worth it. I don't know how far he will fall. I do think he will fall though, and I stand by earlier point that he is definately not the #1 overall QB, and perhaps not even the #2. I don't think we would nab him at 32, so he would almost have to fall to 59 for us to have a shot at him. Just my opinion, but that may not even happen if any of the rumored trade scenarios take place with us and our 59th pick we got from the chargers for chambers.

LouPhinFan
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
This has been interesting reading...

IMHO, Brohm is the best QB in the draft. I'm praying that the opinion voiced by 2413fanphins is one that is shared by GM's all over the league, so we can steal him in the 2nd round.

I bet you do, since you've witnessed Brohm torching your Mountaineers so many times...;)

NamathDrunkLove
01-30-2008, 02:45 PM

is he durable.

Is he durable? Yes he can be. That thumb injury was a freak accident much like the ronnie brown broken hand last year against the lions. He came back two weeks before the scheduled healing time.

Has he missed time every year that he was a starter? No last year he didn't miss anytime.

Does it appear that he could be injury proned? Yes

What missinformation are you referring to? When you were trying to say that he turned the ball over more than what he really does.

When was he ever the #1 guy? Well lets just put it this way, he was predicted by some to go before brady quinn last year as the number 2 qb. After he decided to stay at the u of l he was the obvious #1 qb for this year. Then HIS TEAM started sucking it up, and Matt Ryans' team was a #2 for awhile. During this time everyone started praising Matt Ryan because he was a "leader" He just knew how "to win" My argument to that is, well So did Joey harrington when he was with us last year with our top ranked defenses, and same goes for Rex Grossman, who won 13 games last year. People take way too much into account of how the team plays. Brian Brohm put his team into position to win in every game this season. He did his part but the team never followed through. Matt Ryan at this time last year was barely a top 10 qb prospect. Brohm, Henne, Booty, Woodson, Colt Brennan and the likes were all considered the "better" prospects.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Is he durable? Yes he can be. That thumb injury was a freak accident much like the ronnie brown broken hand last year against the lions. He came back two weeks before the scheduled healing time.

Has he missed time every year that he was a starter? No last year he didn't miss anytime.

Does it appear that he could be injury proned? Yes

What missinformation are you referring to? When you were trying to say that he turned the ball over more than what he really does.

When was he ever the #1 guy? Well lets just put it this way, he was predicted by some to go before brady quinn last year as the number 2 qb. After he decided to stay at the u of l he was the obvious #1 qb for this year. Then HIS TEAM started sucking it up, and Matt Ryans' team was a #2 for awhile. During this time everyone started praising Matt Ryan because he was a "leader" He just knew how "to win" My argument to that is, well So did Joey harrington when he was with us last year with our top ranked defenses, and same goes for Rex Grossman, who won 13 games last year. People take way too much into account of how the team plays. Brian Brohm put his team into position to win in every game this season. He did his part but the team never followed through. Matt Ryan at this time last year was barely a top 10 qb prospect. Brohm, Henne, Booty, Woodson, Colt Brennan and the likes were all considered the "better" prospects.

this is not much different than everyone else I have been arguing with, I kind of tend to put you in the same boat as some of these other cats. You seem to like brohm, and since I said a few negative things about him, that must mean I hate him, and it's now me against the world.

I can't figure out why some of you keep going back to last year. The last month or so is all that really matters. None of the experts say, well last september we had brohm the #1 Qb, so thats how we sit today. I don't think I misrepresented any Turnover information... to my knowledge all I said was he has turned the ball over more and more as each year went by. I believe I even stated it was probably mostly due to increasing number of attempts.

so it's okay for brohms team to suck it up, but if ryans or hennes or anybody elses it's the qb's fault. Don't you remember all thos arguments from last year? Give me one good reason why just about every draft guru has ryan as the #1 qb, and a handful of you brohm fans don't. sway my opinion if you can.

I am on the fence on this guy, thats why I asked louphinfan for some of the info he gave. during that process I gotta a bunch of dudes who seem to have mancrushe's on brohm spitting useless info. One guy even produced a mock draft from sept 07 which he thought further illustrated his point. the mock didn't even have the appropriate draft order, yet the kid thinks his point is valid.

I'm just after some constructive conversation about the pros and cons of brohm. I asked if he was drugged up, because in my opinion his comments were absurd. I wasn't saying the guy is on drugs to be a prick.

I'm not saying he got hurt last year but I do rember the backup got action in at least one game.

I also would have to say that your stretching the truth a bit when you say brohm put the team in position to win in EVERY Game, but the team didn't follow through.

although I didn't watch the games, the USF game certainly wasn't even close, and the big east isn't exactly a powerhouse conference.

throw in Lousivilles completely weak non conference schedule and some stats may tend to become inflated. just my opinion.

Breed
01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I can't figure out why some of you keep going back to last year.

Because Brohm has a solid track record, which is something that Ryan and Henne both somewhat lack.

so it's okay for brohms team to suck it up, but if ryans or hennes or anybody elses it's the qb's fault.

I also would have to say that your stretching the truth a bit when you say brohm put the team in position to win in EVERY Game, but the team didn't follow through.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Louisville's defense, which was terrible in '07.

It's a kind of hard to win games when your defense is giving up 31.4 points per game (91st in scoring defense). Michigan gave up an average of 21.4 points per game (23rd in scoring defense) and Boston College gave up an average of 20.4 points per game (20th in scoring defense).

If you look at Brohms production in '07, he was clearly better than Matt Ryan and Chad Henne. And if you look at how Louisville's offense performed with Brohm under center, it should be quite obvious he was keeping Louisville in almost every game.

Don't you remember all thos arguments from last year? Give me one good reason why just about every draft guru has ryan as the #1 qb, and a handful of you brohm fans don't. sway my opinion if you can.

For the same reason that Joey Harrington was drafted high, because he's a "winner".

throw in Lousivilles completely weak non conference schedule and some stats may tend to become inflated. just my opinion.

Even if you consider his stats inflated, Brohm was far more productive than Ryan and Henne.

Going by the stats I could find, here's how Brohm's '07 QB rating looks compared to Ryan's and Henne's:

Brohm: 96.31
Henne: 80.62
Ryan: 80.6

The ESPN site doesn't include sack yardage or fumbles lost, so I just treated every sack as an incompletion, while giving each sack the value of -6 yards, factoring that into the YPA part of the formula.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
well I guess based on your research, almost every draft guru in the United States of America has it all wrong this time.

so just why are all these guys wrong and you are right. Does ryan have better skill position players than brohm. Do they play in equal conferences? Ryan won in a better conference with NO talent. NONE.

As you said a qb, can't do it all, so the losses were going to happen. But than we are blaming it on the team again, and it's a qb discussion.

Henne really was impressive as a freshman if I remember right. But when you play in the big ten, you got OSU, and I think they have been pretty damn good the past few years.

Brohm has some tools, but I really don't like that he already had an acl fixed, and surgery on his throwing shoulder. Now it's a high ankle sprain, that may cause him to miss the combine.

track records a great way to put it, I'd say he's hurt too much.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I haven't even heard of him being on our radar, so I doubt it's even worth arguing over.

NamathDrunkLove
01-30-2008, 05:58 PM
well I guess based on your research, almost every draft guru in the United States of America has it all wrong this time.

so just why are all these guys wrong and you are right. Does ryan have better skill position players than brohm. Do they play in equal conferences? Ryan won in a better conference with NO talent. NONE.

As you said a qb, can't do it all, so the losses were going to happen. But than we are blaming it on the team again, and it's a qb discussion.

Henne really was impressive as a freshman if I remember right. But when you play in the big ten, you got OSU, and I think they have been pretty damn good the past few years.

Brohm has some tools, but I really don't like that he already had an acl fixed, and surgery on his throwing shoulder. Now it's a high ankle sprain, that may cause him to miss the combine.

track records a great way to put it, I'd say he's hurt too much.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I haven't even heard of him being on our radar, so I doubt it's even worth arguing over.

It's funny that you speak of him not being on our radar because none of us really know who's on our radar. The guys that get mentioned the most are usually the ones that get used as the smoke screen. As far as you trying to make me say the nfl scouts are idiots, I'm simply saying that they fall in love with how much a qb wins instead of his overall track record (stats) and his measureables. Brohm is better at both of these categories over Ryan. Brohm just has the injury list. In terms of pure talent I'm pretty sure they would say that it is Brohm that has it over Ryan. The difference that they keep mentioning is that he is the "winner" I can pick several people in the nfl that "know how to win" but really aren't that good, (Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington, Vince Young) just to name a few.

jdang307
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Just an FYI, BC has the longest active bowl winning streak ... (pssst, you didn't say anything about BCS bowl).

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
It's funny that you speak of him not being on our radar because none of us really know who's on our radar. The guys that get mentioned the most are usually the ones that get used as the smoke screen. As far as you trying to make me say the nfl scouts are idiots, I'm symply saying that they fall in love with how much a qb wins instead of his overall track record (stats) and his measureables. Brohm is better at both of these categories over Ryan. Brohm just has the injury list. In terms of pure talent I'm pretty sure they would say that it is Brohm that has it over Ryan. The difference that they keep mentioning is that he is the "winner" I can pick several people in the nfl that "know how to win" but really aren't that good, (Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington, Vince Young) just to name a few.

It's funny you bring up the "win" theory, because looking back through the thread you will see that more than one persons argument was the brian brohm KNOWS HOW TO WIN. this was one of the reason brohm is more nfl ready than ryan.

that and matt ryan sometimes takes on a gunslinger attitude and throws the ball into bad situations too much. Sometimes when your not exactly surrounded with talent, you take chances to try to win.
BUT... if you do the math, you will find that last season with ALL his turnovers being the big deal... matt ryan throws interceptions less than half a percent more of the time than brohm did.

so is there really a interception problem with matt ryan, or some people just reaching for straws?

LouPhinFan
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM

Actually from what I've seen almost all of the "draft gurus" have Brohm as the #2 QB right behind Ryan.

I really wouldn't say the ACC is any better than the Big East.

Well winning is a part of it. These guys get pumped up by the media. How do you get the media to pump you up? By winning that's how. If the Louisville defense had played better and the team finished 12-1 with a BCS bowl win, do you think Brohm's name would be more prominent? Of course it would.

The surgery was on his NON throwing shoulder.

I'd say he's at least on our draft board. At this point I'm sure there are ALOT of players on our radar, and they're not going to mention them all.

Breed
01-31-2008, 12:17 AM
It's funny you bring up the "win" theory, because looking back through the thread you will see that more than one persons argument was the brian brohm KNOWS HOW TO WIN. this was one of the reason brohm is more nfl ready than ryan.

that and matt ryan sometimes takes on a gunslinger attitude and throws the ball into bad situations too much. Sometimes when your not exactly surrounded with talent, you take chances to try to win.
BUT... if you do the math, you will find that last season with ALL his turnovers being the big deal... matt ryan throws interceptions less than half a percent more of the time than brohm did.

so is there really a interception problem with matt ryan, or some people just reaching for straws?

Brian Brohm: 71 touchdowns/24 interceptions (1,185 passing attempts)
Matt Ryan: 56 touchdowns/37 interceptions (1,347 passing attempts)

TD
Brian Brohm: 1 TD every 16.69 passing attempts
Matt Ryan: 1 TD every 24.05 passing attempts

INT
Brian Brohm: 1 INT every 49.38 passing attempts
Matt Ryan: 1 INT every 36.41 passing attempts

That "half a percent" is pretty big considering you're dealing with a very small number to begin with.

Going by the stats I could find, here's how Brohm's '07 QB rating looks compared to Ryan's and Henne's:

Brohm: 96.31
Henne: 80.62
Ryan: 80.6

The ESPN site doesn't include sack yardage or fumbles lost, so I just treated every sack as an incompletion, while giving each sack the value of -6 yards, factoring that into the YPA part of the formula.

Matt Ryan may very well be the best QB in this draft class, but to imply that he is head and shoulders above the rest isn't true at all.

2413fanphins
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
so I take it your saying theres an interception problem with matt ryan.

if if if.... lousivilles defense didn't do brohm well, BC's defense didn't do matt ryan well... what is the point to this concept.
matt flynn won the title, is his name prominent.

obviously the majority of scouts draft gurus etc etc, think that individually, matt ryan is above brian brohm.

I think it was mayock at senior bowl week, but whoever it was I think he even put henne above brohm.