PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan

Phins Rock
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I am a firm believer in taking Matt Ryan number one. It's time that we stop looking for our franchise QB by trading for either washed up QB's or journey men who have not made it anywhere else. Or even less by using mid round picks on QB's, expecting them to be like Tom Brady, or Marc Bulger. We need to take a QB in the draft, and we need to take him number one.
My scouting report on Matt Ryan:
Arm strength: 96 - Ryan not only has great accuracy, but he also has some zip on his passes, and he can really air it out if necessary.
Leadership: 98 - When I say leadership, I just don't mean on gameday, I mean at practice, off the field, everything. Ryan is the type of guy who says all the right things infront of the camera, is the first one to practice and the last one out, a likeable guy, and yeah, a great leader on gameday.
Intelligence: 99 - Matt Ryan has the NFL IQ of Peyton Manning it seems. He always knows when to pass the ball, who to pass the ball to, whether he should throw it or not. He had several plays this year, that I really loved from Ryan, that even most NFL QB's don't do. Realize that he has a free play after a certain penalty, and try and make the most of it, just air one out, no matter what the play originally was.
Size: 99 - Matt Ryan has the absolute perfect size for a QB. 6'5", 220 pounds, Ryan is an inch taller then Tom Brady, 10 pounds lighter, but as tall as, Peyton Manning, and the exact same size as Carson Palmer.
Experience/NFL "readiness": 97 - Matt Ryan, IMO, might be the most NFL ready QB, along with Quinn last year, to come out of college since Manning. And I don't mean Eli. The numbers may not blow you away, but I think Parcells will realize this too when studying film; the guy is an NFL QB. He's 3-0 in bowl games in his career...pretty impressive.
Overall grade: 98 - Matt Ryan has all the tools necessary to be a great QB in this league. He's got perfect size, great leadership skills, a great football mind, experience, and arm strength. He could come into the league next year, start from day one, and have a good year for a rookie. But the guy has another thing that not many "NFL ready" type QB's have; unlimited potential. Most experts always ponder whether such and such QB will ever be an elite QB, or ever improve that much, because he is already NFL ready, and may have already reached very close to his peak. Not Ryan. Matty Ice has an unbelievable amount of potential. I hate to bring up the comparison, but he has maybe as much as Michael Vick did.
This guy is a great QB in the making, and whether we think Beck can develop into a decent QB sometime in the future or not, we need to take Ryan.
Oh yeah, one more thing, he's clutch.

Die_Nasty
01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
why have you made to separate posts about matt ryan?

Phins Rock
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
why have you made to separate posts about matt ryan?

A couple of people said that the other one was spam, and that if I wanted to talk about Matt Ryan, I should make a scouting report of some kind....there you go

zach8111
01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
he isnt worth the #1. you know how much pressure being the #1 pick in the draft will be on a QB. alot of people fail or at least struggle ALOT in there first 3 years. we have beck and you are giving up on him. we havent seen the real beck yet, trust me

Zanno
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
pro football weekly agrees with you in their first mock

Nappy Roots
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
if he has 99 intelligence and "He always knows when to pass the ball, who to pass the ball to, whether he should throw it or not." and "great accuracy" whyd he throw 19 INTs in 14 games and complete only 59% of his passes?

he had a good start and was playing over his head but the 2nd half was bad....his last 7 games of the year he had 14 TDs and 13 INTs completing only 56% of his passes and a 6.7 YPA.

Roman529
01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
I like Matty Ice....but if he is the first overall pick in the draft he better be the 2nd coming of Dan Marino....and I don't think he is. :shakeno:

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Matt Ryan isnt worth the #1 pick

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
what was that bad weather game where he threw like 3 pics in one game?

he plays in a tough conference, did well. had a few bad games. doens't have a phenomenal skill position player to help him out all that much and they still did as well as they did.

I like the kid, I don't know if we take him first overall or not. I have heard more than one person on here say ireland likes the kid.

you mention this stuff to the louisville boys and they get real defensive. how dare guys like you not be in love with brohm. and btw, if you don't love brohm, than you must hate him, apparently it's one or the other.

I liked your breakdown, if you wouldn't mind do the same for some other qb's.

henne, brohm, maybe even flacco. if ya got time that is.

2413fanphins
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM

you seem pretty sure of yourself.

what were your feelings on ginn last year. is/was he worth the 9th overall??

who should we take at #1 overall if we keep it, who exactly is most definately worth the #1 pick. FOR SURE

WISfinfan13
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
A couple of people said that the other one was spam, and that if I wanted to talk about Matt Ryan, I should make a scouting report of some kind....there you go

Right If you start a thread you should have some intelegant backing to what your saying so there is something to discuss. While I dont agree with some of your rankings you give evidence as to why he thinks the way you do. Great Post.

PS. Probably should have just edited or added to your other thread.

Charlie Brown
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
you seem pretty sure of yourself.

what were your feelings on ginn last year. is/was he worth the 9th overall??

who should we take at #1 overall if we keep it, who exactly is most definately worth the #1 pick. FOR SURE

Ted Ginn was the worst pick ever and I was pissed.

every year you'll have your Matt Ryan QB's, Matt Ryan is nothing special

nyfinzfan
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh no youre not flooding these boards too with Matt Ryan threads..ugh. Phins Rock Ive never seen someone so obsessed!

CC Coach
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I know everyone has their own opinions and who knows how a certain player will end up, but Matt Ryan is no where near a franchise QB.
Watching him against Virginia Tech and Florida State he was very inconsistant and not all that accurate when pressured.
His mobility is average and he just isn't that good.
I think Henne could be a better QB.

No way does Miami even consider Ryan.

mxkawi1
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
No thanks, on Ryan. We have a QB.

Crunkcore
01-29-2008, 11:05 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Ghetti13
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Ryan is worthy of taking No.1 Overall. He will and should be in the discussion for the Dolphins. That said, I expect them to take Glenn Dorsey. He is can't miss at a position which produces very few can't miss prospects.

mort5506
01-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Being a huge Clemson fan I can tell you that I am glad to see Matt Ryan finally graduate, there are very few QB's that I ahve seen over the years with his toughness and poise and that have that "it factor". I knew that when BC got the ball back with 1:30 minutes left on the clock that we were screwed, sure enough he marched down the field and scores, game over. I hated him as a competitor and am glad that Clemson won't have to face him anymore and I hate the fact that his play reminds me of some one I hate even more and that is Tom Brady. People that just look at stats don't know the real story on Ryan ie. so many dropped or deflected passes, no real running game ect.. I heard time and time again anouncers saying that if Ryan had even one nfl prospect level receiver to throw to he would have be lights out. Now this is not me saying that I support him as the #1 overall pick but if we traded down and got good value then I think that Ryan has the potential and that "it" factor that you look for in a franchise QB.... in the very least he wont be 27 next year with only one year of nfl experience like Beck.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
mort5506... you could come in quite useful in some threads that are back and forth on qb's in the upcoming draft.

since you have seen him in action, your insight pulls a little more weight with me than someone who just says oh... matt ryan is this and that.

I freely admit to not knowing much about many of the qb prospects, but I can't argue with 90% of draft gurus who have ryan as the #1 prospect.

from what I have seen though, I think he is the best qb in this years draft.
from there though, it gets tricky.

you should chime in on the other qb threads that are in the draft and talk forums. your seeing him yearly, could answer a lot of peoples questions.

Phishstix
01-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Being a huge Clemson fan I can tell you that I am glad to see Matt Ryan finally graduate, there are very few QB's that I ahve seen over the years with his toughness and poise and that have that "it factor". I knew that when BC got the ball back with 1:30 minutes left on the clock that we were screwed, sure enough he marched down the field and scores, game over. I hated him as a competitor and am glad that Clemson won't have to face him anymore and I hate the fact that his play reminds me of some one I hate even more and that is Tom Brady.

replace clemson w/ va tech and 1:30 with 4:00 and you echo my sentiments. the kids a baller, and should definately be in the discussion for our pick.

Motion
01-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Not a big fan of Matt Ryan at all. Way to careless with the ball. Any QB that has close to 30 turnovers his senior season of college shouldn't even be mentioned in the Top 10 discussion, let alone #1. I fully expect him to be drafted much higher than he's worth though because of the fact he's a QB. That said I don't think we should be concerned about him, it all comes down to Dorsey or Chris Long IMO and rightfully so. Both players are going to be studs. Of course a trade down would be the best option.

WISfinfan13
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
replace clemson w/ va tech and 1:30 with 4:00 and you echo my sentiments. the kids a baller, and should definately be in the discussion for our pick.

First off thank you (and the Clemson dude) for your insight on Matt Ryan. And your analysis does help in judging Matt Ryan's potential success in the NFL.

But with all due respect to you guys. Its nice to hear that Matt Ryan had good games against your teams. But dont you think pack-10 teams where happy to see Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith go to the NFL?? How about the ACC I bet they where happy when Vick left school. Same with the SEC as it relates to Tim Couch.

What I am getting at is College success doesnt nessisarily relate to pro success. And while I DO BELIEVE Matt Ryan will be better than the QB's I previously mentioned. At this point he is not worthy of being the first overall pick. Yes things can change during the combine or private workouts. But as it stands now I garentee we dont take Matt Ryan with the first overall selection.

The reason I can garentee it is Parcells said in his first press conference. If the Dolphins do not trade the first pick we must make sure that we dont put our selves in a situation that could hurt us financially (we must be smart and not take a risk). At this point Matt Ryan has not done enough to prove he is worth being taken with the 1st overall pick.

I think he missed his first opportunity by skipping the senior bowl. And now (like I said previously) must put on a show at the combine and private workouts. I think it is alot easier to judge the intangibles watching a QB live as opposed to watching game film. And after these workouts/combine, Parcells makes the decision to draft Matt, I will be behind him 100%.

jlfin
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Right If you start a thread you should have some intelegant backing to what your saying so there is something to discuss. While I dont agree with some of your rankings you give evidence as to why he thinks the way you do. Great Post.

PS. Probably should have just edited or added to your other thread.

All except the stats, of course.

Breed
01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

He is too worth the #1 pick..........................................in the 2nd round:up:

MrEd
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I am a firm believer in taking Matt Ryan number one. It's time that we stop looking for our franchise QB by trading for either washed up QB's or journey men who have not made it anywhere else. Or even less by using mid round picks on QB's, expecting them to be like Tom Brady, or Marc Bulger. We need to take a QB in the draft, and we need to take him number one.
My scouting report on Matt Ryan:
Arm strength: 96 - Ryan not only has great accuracy, but he also has some zip on his passes, and he can really air it out if necessary.
Leadership: 98 - When I say leadership, I just don't mean on gameday, I mean at practice, off the field, everything. Ryan is the type of guy who says all the right things infront of the camera, is the first one to practice and the last one out, a likeable guy, and yeah, a great leader on gameday.
Intelligence: 99 - Matt Ryan has the NFL IQ of Peyton Manning it seems. He always knows when to pass the ball, who to pass the ball to, whether he should throw it or not. He had several plays this year, that I really loved from Ryan, that even most NFL QB's don't do. Realize that he has a free play after a certain penalty, and try and make the most of it, just air one out, no matter what the play originally was.
Size: 99 - Matt Ryan has the absolute perfect size for a QB. 6'5", 220 pounds, Ryan is an inch taller then Tom Brady, 10 pounds lighter, but as tall as, Peyton Manning, and the exact same size as Carson Palmer.
Experience/NFL "readiness": 97 - Matt Ryan, IMO, might be the most NFL ready QB, along with Quinn last year, to come out of college since Manning. And I don't mean Eli. The numbers may not blow you away, but I think Parcells will realize this too when studying film; the guy is an NFL QB. He's 3-0 in bowl games in his career...pretty impressive.
Overall grade: 98 - Matt Ryan has all the tools necessary to be a great QB in this league. He's got perfect size, great leadership skills, a great football mind, experience, and arm strength. He could come into the league next year, start from day one, and have a good year for a rookie. But the guy has another thing that not many "NFL ready" type QB's have; unlimited potential. Most experts always ponder whether such and such QB will ever be an elite QB, or ever improve that much, because he is already NFL ready, and may have already reached very close to his peak. Not Ryan. Matty Ice has an unbelievable amount of potential. I hate to bring up the comparison, but he has maybe as much as Michael Vick did.
This guy is a great QB in the making, and whether we think Beck can develop into a decent QB sometime in the future or not, we need to take Ryan.
Oh yeah, one more thing, he's clutch.

Praise the Lord! Finally, someone else with some sense on the forum! Me, you, Draft Insiders Digest, Profootballweekly, and Chris Mortenson are the geniuses that have been saying this all along. It seems that others dont get it.

Also, Mike Mayock feels that Matt Ryan is top pick worthy.

Ghetti13
01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
There are more than a few people who realize Ryan is worthy of the top pick.

WISfinfan13
01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
First off thank you (and the Clemson dude) for your insight on Matt Ryan. And your analysis does help in judging Matt Ryan's potential success in the NFL.

But with all due respect to you guys. Its nice to hear that Matt Ryan had good games against your teams. But dont you think pack-10 teams where happy to see Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith go to the NFL?? How about the ACC I bet they where happy when Vick left school. Same with the SEC as it relates to Tim Couch.

What I am getting at is College success doesnt nessisarily relate to pro success. And while I DO BELIEVE Matt Ryan will be better than the QB's I previously mentioned. At this point he is not worthy of being the first overall pick. Yes things can change during the combine or private workouts. But as it stands now I garentee we dont take Matt Ryan with the first overall selection.

The reason I can garentee it is Parcells said in his first press conference. If the Dolphins do not trade the first pick we must make sure that we dont put our selves in a situation that could hurt us financially (we must be smart and not take a risk). At this point Matt Ryan has not done enough to prove he is worth being taken with the 1st overall pick.

I think he missed his first opportunity by skipping the senior bowl. And now (like I said previously) must put on a show at the combine and private workouts. I think it is alot easier to judge the intangibles watching a QB live as opposed to watching game film. And after these workouts/combine, Parcells makes the decision to draft Matt, I will be behind him 100%.

I think these internet sites and magazines are predicting he does good in the combine. Until then he will not be the first overall pick.

Ghetti13
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
What makes Ryan so special cannot be measured at the scouting combine.

Poise.

Pocket Presence.

Leadership skills.

He has all the physical skills to go along with that rare "it" factor.

Breed
01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I think these internet sites and magazines are predicting he does good in the combine. Until then he will not be the first overall pick.

I still have trouble believing Ryan has a substantially stronger arm than Brohm, who has been criticized for having questionable arm strength. I just don't see Ryan as having that great of an arm.

....can't wait until the combine.

WISfinfan13
01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
What makes Ryan so special cannot be measured at the scouting combine.

Good Post :shakeno: ...Back up your statement

Ghetti13
01-30-2008, 05:40 PM
This is me "backing it up":

Ryan’s greatest asset is really his pocket presence. He is unfazed in the face of the rush and always keeps his eyes downfield in the hope that a receiver will break open. Also, Ryan has that sixth sense in that he moves extremely well in the pocket and always appears to sense which direction he should go. Also, Ryan has an excellent frame. He is a tall quarterback, allowing him to see well over his linemen and gain additional velocity simply due to centrifugal force. Also, Ryan played in a very pro style offense. This will shorten his acclimation period in comparison to quarterbacks who come from quirky college offenses.
Possibly most importantly, Ryan has excellent accuracy. He is capable of threading the ball into coverage on a crossing route or dropping it in like a feather on a deep flag. The only drawback on this is that his mechanics drop off every now and then, leading to a few accuracy issues. I expect this will be remedied at the next level because it is not a fear issue. Also, Ryan has excellent mobility. He moves extremely well in the pocket showing ample agility to elude the rush. Also, he is a small threat to run because of this above average mobility and his fearless nature. Further, Ryan can make all the throws. He is not a gunslinger, but, he will not limit his offense in any way in regards to the velocity on his ball. Lastly, Ryan has an average to above average release. It is not elite, but it will not create any problems for him at the next level. He is capable of speeding up his release if the situation dictates.

Ryan’s biggest negative is his injury history. He has spent a solid amount of his college career dinged up. This becomes even more concerning considering his rather narrow build and apparent fearlessness. That said, he stayed healthy as a senior, and none of the injuries are the type of thing that could impact him long term. Ryan’s only other real negative is his sometimes questionable decision making skills. On occasion, Ryan possesses what I would call a “gun slinger” mentality without the requisite gun slinger skills. He occasionally throws into traffic to make a play that simply is not there. This is also somewhat evident by the nineteen interceptions this year. That said, of the three games I reviewed, Ryan threw three interceptions. Of those three, only one was his fault. The other two were dropped passes. Given that, there is some wonder how many of his picks were not on him. Personally, I have a slight feeling that he may have been trying too hard every now and then to make up for his pedestrian receiving corps. Plus, he did throw the ball 654 times this year. That is an interception percentage better than or equal to most of the top quarterbacks in the NFL this year.

Physically, Ryan is what you look for in a first round pick. He is tall. He shows great raw accuracy. He can make all the throws. He moves well. Despite this, that is not what makes Ryan special. What makes him special is the pocket presence and playmaking demeanor he possesses. The play is never over. He is always a threat to make a play. The rush rarely takes him off the task at hand. Yeah, there are a few concerns with Ryan. However, he is more than a caretaker. He is a playmaker. This may sound crazy, but he reminds me a little of a mix between Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. He is a smart, analytic field general like Brady who can move around and make plays after things break down like Roethlisberger. Ryan should end up being a really good one with some good coaching. He is worthy of a very high pick.

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 05:53 PM
One of the main things I am hearing on matt ryan is his TO problem.

matt ryan 19pics/654 attempts... equals 2.9% of the time he throws an interception.

brian brohm.. 12 pics/473 attempts... equals 2.5% of the time he throws an int.

are we really arguing over less than half a percent.

you should see some of the diehard brohm guys on the thread on here about brohms radio interview.

I agree with the earlier poster on here, some people just don't get it. all the draft gurus, mock experts etc etc etc...

I wouldn't go so far as to name him the definate #1 pick, but more than definately the #1 qb.

Ghetti13
01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
He is not the best player in this draft, but he is the best quarterback and very worthy of being drafted anywhere in the top five.

All that said, I draft Glenn Dorsey at # 1, but I think there is a lot to like about Ryan.

miamitd13
01-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Speaking of Ryan and the combine I think it will be interesting to see if he decides to throw in Indianapolis. It seems in recent years the top QB's have opted not to throw, but it also seems as though Ryan took a little "hit" by not participating in Mobile. Some questioning his willingness to compete.

I've never seen the kid play but a majority of what I've read quotes his arm strength as "average" - can anyone speak to this - can he make the "NFL" throws?

I for one hopes he decides to participate in Indy and he distinguishes himself. A good showing can only enhance the value of our pick - whether it be him as our selection or trading down.

WISfinfan13
01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
He is not the best player in this draft, but he is the best quarterback and very worthy of being drafted anywhere in the top five.

All that said, I draft Glenn Dorsey at # 1, but I think there is a lot to like about Ryan.

Thanks for the insight. I just hate when people make blind comments without any backing and you made your point. Good Post. I do disagree with your comment that he cant prove himself at the combine. The things you said you like about him (His accuracy, Mobility, and Pocket Presence) all can be proved at the combine.

As to this post. I agree. Matt Ryan is growing on me a bit. The more I read and the more I watch. The more I like. I still think at this point he is not worth the first overall pick. It could change as the offseason progresses.

As it stands Chris Long still gets my nod if stay with the first pick. But if we do trade down and Ryan is available I am begining to think he may be our pick.

dan the fin
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
It seems that all the people that don't like Ryan are stats freaks and have not watched him play much. I really like Ryan he is a much better QB then Quinn last year. Now I don't no if I want him at #1 yet but I would really consider it. I have not given up on Beck but I also don't see he being as good as Ryan. Its tough having the #1 pick this year. Dorsey is probably the best player, but #1 money for a DT that is not even a perfect fit for are D. Then there is McFadden, but we have Ronnie. Long may be the safest bet and a DE is worth more then a DT.

dan the fin
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Not a big fan of Matt Ryan at all. Way to careless with the ball. Any QB that has close to 30 turnovers his senior season of college shouldn't even be mentioned in the Top 10 discussion, let alone #1. I fully expect him to be drafted much higher than he's worth though because of the fact he's a QB. That said I don't think we should be concerned about him, it all comes down to Dorsey or Chris Long IMO and rightfully so. Both players are going to be studs. Of course a trade down would be the best option.

A lot of his turnovers were him trying to make plays cause his team was outmatched by much more talented teams. What I like about Ryan is he wins games on his own when he has too, the last QB that Mia had that could do that was Marino. A lot of college QB stats have a lot to due with his teams talent and teams they have to play.

Marino Sr Season.
Att Comp Pct. Yards TD Int Rating
378 221 .584 2432 17 23 67.3

2413fanphins
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I still can't get over the 654 attempts.

the other top qb's

brohm... 473
henne... 278
brennan... 510
ainge... 519
booty... 340

none of them even come within 100 attempts.. that tells you how much matt ryan was relied on to put up the points.

PhinsTD
01-30-2008, 09:02 PM
The attempts help to mitigate the INT's for me somewhat. The accuracy percentage is tough though. It is really hard to be a great NFL QB without completing 60% of your passes. If you didn't do that in college, how are you going to do that in the pros?

He does have a certain something him, that the great ones have, I'll give him that. Brady had 6 int's in his senior season FYI, and 20 TD's in only 341 passes. Sure, he had more play makers, but Brady was more productive in college than he's given credit for.

Ryan has a solid arm, not sure I'd grade it as highly as you do. He also struggled with extremely fast defense's at times. What it comes down to for me, is what grade do you have on him? If you grade him as the 10th best player in the draft, I can't justify taking him number one. If you grade him number 5, and all 5 are closely graded, I can justify using the pick on Ryan because of the value of the position.

Does the fan base have the patience to let Ryan sit a year, while the inevitable veteran QB comes in? Beck as a solid backup QB for cheap, still justifies a 2nd round pick IMO.

Breed
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM

the other top qb's

brohm... 473
henne... 278
brennan... 510
ainge... 519
booty... 340

none of them even come within 100 attempts.. that tells you how much matt ryan was relied on to put up the points.

Well since we're bringing up stats, I can't believe we're talking about taking a QB that has never had a 2:1 TD:INT #1 overall.

Nappy Roots
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM

the other top qb's

brohm... 473
henne... 278
brennan... 510
ainge... 519
booty... 340

how can u forget woodson?

btw...

brohm... 473 - 181 less passes but yet has 1 less TD.
ainge... 519 - 135 less attempts. same amount of TD passes
woodson... 518 - 134 less attempts..9 MORE TD passes

Motion
01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
A lot of his turnovers were him trying to make plays cause his team was outmatched by much more talented teams. What I like about Ryan is he wins games on his own when he has too, the last QB that Mia had that could do that was Marino. A lot of college QB stats have a lot to due with his teams talent and teams they have to play.

Marino Sr Season.
Att Comp Pct. Yards TD Int Rating
378 221 .584 2432 17 23 67.3

Sorry I don't buy that. I've seen plenty of him. I'm not a "stat freak" but his stats back up his play. I know some people like the gunslinger, risk taker types but theres a difference between that and being careless. I think he could be a decent QB in the NFL, he has the tools, although I can't believe someone would compare him to Marino. Regardless, I just don't think he's top 10 material, and especially not #1. Although I do think he'll go higher than he should because he's a QB.