PDA

View Full Version : Wow...all I can says is wow.

Pagan
01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
THE CHURCH OF $IMPSONTOLOGY

January 31, 2008 -- The voice of Bart Simpson inked a $10 million check to her elders at the Church of Scientology.

Pagesix.com yesterday cited the Church of Scientology's in-house publication - Impact magazine - to report Nancy Cartwright's huge donation.

Cartwright, 50, is the voice of Bart, Todd Flanders, Ralph Wiggum and Nelson Muntz on the long-running Fox hit.

Cartwright's 2007 donation topped some of Hollywood's best known Scientologists, such as Tom Cruise and Kirstie Alley ($5 million each).

retired opfinistic
01-31-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/02/nancy-1.jpg:disapprove:

LouPhinFan
01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I heard this on the Bob & Tom Show this morning. Ain't this a great country? We're free to believe in whatever we want. No matter how silly it is...:D

retired opfinistic
01-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I heard this on the Bob & Tom Show this morning. Ain't this a great country? We're free to believe in whatever we want. No matter how silly it is...:D
I guess you're right on that mark. I'll start my Church of Dolphinology.

Pagan
01-31-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm already in the process of starting the Church of Givemeallyoureffinmoneyology.

ih8brady
02-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Ten Mill could help a lot of sick, starving or homeless people. Instead, the fat cats at the top of a science fiction pyramid scheme get to buy new toys with the money. :(

Stitches
02-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't understand how this is much different than many other popular religions (well one specifically at least). I mean people always donate money and places build rediculous structures, why should scientology be any different in how much money it garners?

Pagan
02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't understand how this is much different than many other popular religions (well one specifically at least). I mean people always donate money and places build rediculous structures, why should scientology be any different in how much money it garners?
Because it's not a religion. It's a cult started by a science fiction writer.

And in pretty much any other religion, you don't have to PAY to "acheive the next level" like you do in scientology. Do some research on the "religion" bro, it's make you shake your head.

Stitches
02-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Because it's not a religion. It's a cult started by a science fiction writer.

And in pretty much any other religion, you don't have to PAY to "acheive the next level" like you do in scientology. Do some research on the "religion" bro, it's make you shake your head.

A lot of "religions" make my head shake, so I'm sure this will be no different. But honestly IMO, many religions are just socially accepted cults. So I doubt my opinion on this one will get sway by research.

Jets81
02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2008/02/nancy-1.jpg:disapprove:

Thank Xenu she's behind the camera and not in front of it. :D

LouPhinFan
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
A lot of "religions" make my head shake, so I'm sure this will be no different. But honestly IMO, many religions are just socially accepted cults. So I doubt my opinion on this one will get sway by research.

Pagan is right. Just read a little bit about scientology (I'm not even going to capitalize it anymore) and compare it to any other established religion, Christian, Islam, Wicca, Hindu, Shinto, etc. While each religion has certain "supernatural" aspects to it, you will clearly see that scientology goes over the deep end into Weirdville. Go to YouTube and search for "Southpark" and "scientology". The video clip for the Southpark episode that explains the basic stuff about scientology is pretty funny and only scratches the surface of what L Ron Hubbard came up with to swindle vulnerable people. Read the Wikipedia page about scientology, it should read like a scifi novel and that should tell you something.

Which religions do you consider "socially accepted cults"? I'm just curious.

Stitches
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Pagan is right. Just read a little bit about scientology (I'm not even going to capitalize it anymore) and compare it to any other established religion, Christian, Islam, Wicca, Hindu, Shinto, etc. While each religion has certain "supernatural" aspects to it, you will clearly see that scientology goes over the deep end into Weirdville. Go to YouTube and search for "Southpark" and "scientology". The video clip for the Southpark episode that explains the basic stuff about scientology is pretty funny and only scratches the surface of what L Ron Hubbard came up with to swindle vulnerable people. Read the Wikipedia page about scientology, it should read like a scifi novel and that should tell you something.

Which religions do you consider "socially accepted cults"? I'm just curious.

Catholocism, Church of Latter Day Saints, at the very least. Not to say everyone is as bad as others (in regards to the people who practice those religions), but I know people who can't even function without those two churches. Like no life decisions can be made at all on thier own, and they pass judgement based on things said in church without actually knowing anything about the subject(movies and literature for example)*.

*I realize I am a kettle to an extent here.

Den54
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Catholocism, Church of Latter Day Saints, at the very least. Not to say everyone is as bad as others (in regards to the people who practice those religions), but I know people who can't even function without those two churches. Like no life decisions can be made at all on thier own, and they pass judgement based on things said in church without actually knowing anything about the subject(movies and literature for example)*.

Being raised in this church, I can tell you that independent thought is not encouraged.

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
since the Bob and Tom show was mentioned, and they were talking about the scientology cult; did they play the comedy song they recorded several years ago after the Heaven's Gate Cult suicides? *** it is pretty funny. they usually play it when cults are in the news.

The first two lines go like this: "I'm looking for stupid people with some money who would like to follow me. I'll be the shepherd of the flock, and they can be my sheep."

*** for those who don't remember or were too young, the Heaven's Gate Cult believed a comet (the Hale-Bopp Comet i believe) was actually the alien mothership that was going to take cult members away to paradise. the catch was, they had to leave their earthly bodies to make this happen, so they all killed themselves, 20 plus people.

they had a compound in california, and did computer consulting to raise money, and apparently did very well. plus the cult members turned over all material possessions to the cult leader, and in addition, all male members of the cult were castrated. except the cult leader. he, of course, got to have sex with all the women in the cult. imagine that!

Quelonio
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Coming from a catholic country I can tell you catholicism works way less like a cult than most evangelical protestant groups. As a matter of fact catholics tend to be a little more free to do what they want since they have forgiveness built into their religion.

So I strongly disagree with that, As far as I am concerned if you are going to call catholics a cult, you might as well call every religion a cult. And I dont think you want to do that.

Coral Reefer
02-05-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm already in the process of starting the Church of Givemeallyoureffinmoneyology.

:lol:

That's exactly what Scientology is!

The Galactic ruler Xenu has all encompassing ATM withdrawl powers!

That famous saying....

"There's a sucker born every minute."

SkapePhin
02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
in 1000 years, Scientology might replace Christianity. Tom Cruise will be their Jesus.

Megatron
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Anyone can join the Church of the Decepticons for free.:wink:

MDFINFAN
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Anyone can join the Church of the Decepticons for free.:wink:

Then once they get in, there will be little expense the members can help you with..right..:lol:

Sethdaddy8
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
wow, she's gonna be like a Theta 6 !!!

SkapePhin
02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Coming from a catholic country I can tell you catholicism works way less like a cult than most evangelical protestant groups. As a matter of fact catholics tend to be a little more free to do what they want since they have forgiveness built into their religion.

So I strongly disagree with that, As far as I am concerned if you are going to call catholics a cult, you might as well call every religion a cult. And I dont think you want to do that.

Every religion begins as a cult..

Sethdaddy8
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Every religion begins as a cult..

words like every and always...are never a good idea.:lol:

Miamian
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
words like every and always...are never a good idea.:lol:
No Skape is right. It's a documented phenomenon. I don't remember all of the aspects of a cult, since I learned it in a Sociology class longer ago than I'd care to admit, but I do remember key elements including a small size at the beginning, a charismatic leader, and not having widespread social acceptance.

Whether Scientology is invented or not is irrelevant. It does qualify as a religion because it answers ultimate questions like who I am, what I am doing here, and what is my destiny.

Sethdaddy8
02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
No Skape is right. It's a documented phenomenon. I don't remember all of the aspects of a cult, since I learned it in a Sociology class longer ago than I'd care to admit, but I do remember key elements including a small size at the beginning, a charismatic leader, and not having widespread social acceptance.

Whether Scientology is invented or not is irrelevant. It does qualify as a religion because it answers ultimate questions like who I am, what I am doing here, and what is my destiny.

there are several different meanings behind the word cult. different aspects for the varying meanings. the contemporary meaning for cult is certainly different than, say the sect of christianity that Martin Luther founded. skapephin being openly and honestly anti-religion, i'm fairly certain that the manner he is using the word "cult", is not accurate in his statement...to say EVERY religion starts as a cult.

Majpain
02-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Stiches you CANT be serious..... Someone as smart as you.....

Scientology was started by a science fiction writer.

Hubbard has been quoted of saying the following.

"The best way to earn money is start your own religion."

That he did rather it was an organization until he threaten to sew the IRS to Tax Exempt them. Thats the only reason why their labeled as a religion.

Hubbard was a crook and so was his wife. Its the only religion that requires you to pay large sums of money to learn more about it.

Btw do you know what they believe?

Click the link and watch the lil flash animation.
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Thehistoryofscientology.gif

They also believe the earth is 317 trillion years old that Mechanized Gorillas and carnivals existed.

Stitches
02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Stiches you CANT be serious..... Someone as smart as you.....

Scientology was started by a science fiction writer.

Hubbard has been quoted of saying the following.

"The best way to earn money is start your own religion."

That he did rather it was an organization until he threaten to sew the IRS to Tax Exempt them. Thats the only reason why their labeled as a religion.

Hubbard was a crook and so was his wife. Its the only religion that requires you to pay large sums of money to learn more about it.

Btw do you know what they believe?

Click the link and watch the lil flash animation.
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Image:Thehistoryofscientology.gif

They also believe the earth is 317 trillion years old that Mechanized Gorillas and carnivals existed.

So there religion is based on fiction, I fail to see how it is different from the rest.

As for paying large sums of money, who cares? Are you paying them? No.

I know there are plenty of people who pay a ton of money to churches and televangelists. Doesn't mean they deserve it either, but it happens.

Majpain
02-09-2008, 07:53 PM
So there religion is based on fiction, I fail to see how it is different from the rest.

As for paying large sums of money, who cares? Are you paying them? No.

I know there are plenty of people who pay a ton of money to churches and televangelists. Doesn't mean they deserve it either, but it happens.

Yes because everything in the bible is fiction.

I love how people can decide whats fact and whats fiction its great.

Stitches
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes because everything in the bible is fiction.

I love how people can decide whats fact and whats fiction its great.

It is if you don't believe in it. :wink:

Some people probably believe scientology is fact.

Majpain
02-09-2008, 08:54 PM
It is if you don't believe in it. :wink:

Some people probably believe scientology is fact.

So you think everything in the bible is fiction? Big words.

You have to be CRAZY to believe Scientology.

Stitches
02-10-2008, 12:49 AM

Maybe not everything, but the main ideas, yes.

Yea, you probably do have to be on a different frequency to believe in scientology.

Majpain
02-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Maybe not everything, but the main ideas, yes.

Yea, you probably do have to be on a different frequency to believe in scientology.

I respect your opinion.

Well Scientology grabs the rich people. I mean look at all the celebrity's. I guess what gets them is that you can be a scientologist and *enter any religion here*. Thats its all about the freedom.

Btw take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

outtawack311
02-10-2008, 01:22 AM

I dont believe in scientology, but you cant disprove their beliefs anymore than you can christianity. Its all about faith. One other thing about scientology I do know is that you don't worship anyone specifically like a jesus or a god for it and they encourage you to still believe any religion, and worship any god you wish.

Then again, I am with stitches on this one, every organized religion is basically a cult.

I think religion as a whole drives people to hate and intolerance. Religion kills individualism.

-Show me a devout catholic that doesnt despise gays.
-Show me a true jew that doesn't deep down dislike palestinians
-Look at the muslims that hate on anyone who depicts an image of Muhammed.

The examples go on and on. Religion gives people an avenue to direct their hate, then it helps manifest it and its one of the reasons I will never be religious.

Don't tell me its only the serious devout people that feel this way, its only the devout people who push it beyond a generally uneasiness. Take my mom for example, she is jewish, she is so reformed that she doesn't celebrate half of the holidays yet I still hear her say "I don't like giving money to palestinian restaurants" when we go out to get a nice falafel. That is just one example, I went to catholic high school back in the day (because my public school was kinda trashy). I knew plenty of people who didn't really believe all that much, yet when they were around someone obviously gay, or found people who weren't catholic you could tell they acted differently.......

ok, I just went way to far with my rant....

I have more to say, but i dont really feel like typing anymore, so I'll give a summary.

Me no like religion, religion bad.....yaaaaaaay

/rant

edit
Oh yeah, I would still consider myself jewish...just not practicing. I do respect the history of judaism.
/edit

Majpain
02-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I dont believe in scientology, but you cant disprove their beliefs anymore than you can christianity. Its all about faith. One other thing about scientology I do know is that you don't worship anyone specifically like a jesus or a god for it and they encourage you to still believe any religion, and worship any god you wish.

Then again, I am with stitches on this one, every organized religion is basically a cult.

I think religion as a whole drives people to hate and intolerance. Religion kills individualism.

The examples go on and on. Religion gives people an avenue to direct their hate, then it helps manifest it and its one of the reasons I will never be religious.

Don't tell me its only the serious devout people that feel this way, its only the devout people who push it beyond a generally uneasiness. Take my mom for example, she is jewish, she is so reformed that she doesn't celebrate half of the holidays yet I still hear her say "I don't like giving money to palestinian restaurants" when we go out to get a nice falafel. That is just one example, I went to catholic high school back in the day (because my public school was kinda trashy). I knew plenty of people who didn't really believe all that much, yet when they were around someone obviously gay, or found people who weren't catholic you could tell they acted differently.......

I have more to say, but i dont really feel like typing anymore, so I'll give a summary.

/rant

edit
Oh yeah, I would still consider myself jewish...just not practicing. I do respect the history of judaism.
/edit

Actually what they believe is extremely far fetched. Hubbard created Scientology in the 1950's. Its not like he discovered documents that were according to him millions of years old. He created it as a organization but as it grew taxes was killing him so thats when he pushed for scientology to be labeled as a religion so it could become tax exempt.

Scientology is the only "religion" that requires you to pay to learn more. Other religions have voluntary donations and can learn about it for free.

He is a direct quote from that crook.

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

Sethdaddy8
02-10-2008, 01:54 AM

/edit

i'm a true catholic and i have gay friends. you could pretend to be able to simply define a devout catholic, and argue in vain with me over it if you wish. but i am catholic, and i have gay friends.
50 years ago, it was a mortal sin, and condemnable to hell, if you simply ate or drank ANYTHING before mass on Sunday. this is no longer the case. in time, don't be surprised to see gay people "accepted". maybe not in your lifetime, but someday. things change, and religion certainly is no different.

The main purpose of religion is to create a code of morals, and self control. its to provide meaning to life, and answer those question which could and would otherwise haunt mankind throughout the ages. its not about pettiness, and hate.

there is plenty that is wrong with religion(especially throughout history), and plenty of people who embarrass the varying sects.
its funny though, a growing trend of not so informed non-believers are embarrassing THAT belief too.

in general, people cannot be so rude as to tell another person what they are. unless you've read Dianetics cover to cover, you should reserve harsh judgement on scientology. people should live and let live...on all fronts.

outtawack311
02-10-2008, 03:25 AM
i'm a true catholic and i have gay friends. you could pretend to be able to simply define a devout catholic, and argue in vain with me over it if you wish. but i am catholic, and i have gay friends.
50 years ago, it was a mortal sin, and condemnable to hell, if you simply ate or drank ANYTHING before mass on Sunday. this is no longer the case. in time, don't be surprised to see gay people "accepted". maybe not in your lifetime, but someday. things change, and religion certainly is no different.

The main purpose of religion is to create a code of morals, and self control. its to provide meaning to life, and answer those question which could and would otherwise haunt mankind throughout the ages. its not about pettiness, and hate.

Those strange rules and moral codes are part of the problem with religion. People see that as law and anyone who believes differently is a criminal. I am talking about the petty rules such as you must go to church Sunday or you go to hell, not the 'thou shall not kill' ones. It all manifests hate (or to a lesser extent dislike) and I think that is a problem.

I know human nature should take some blame for that one too.

there is plenty that is wrong with religion(especially throughout history), and plenty of people who embarrass the varying sects.
its funny though, a growing trend of not so informed non-believers are embarrassing THAT belief too.

I agree completely with this part.

in general, people cannot be so rude as to tell another person what they are. unless you've read Dianetics cover to cover, you should reserve harsh judgement on scientology. people should live and let live...on all fronts.

I think scientology gets a rougher treatment then it deserves, my dad is a scientologist. He isn't nuts, he doesn't fork over tons of money and everyone I have met that is a part of it are actually very nice, well put together people. He brought me to some of their courses before and I thought the entire organization was pretty moronic and I didn't continue.....just figured i'd share that.

The reason I bolded the last part of your quote is I COMPLETELY agree with you. I was disgusted when my mom mentioned the money thing in my earlier post. People need to in general just let people do what makes them happy, unless it harms someone else. I don't care if people are really into religion, go ahead and eat your jesus cracker, become fana or hide your aficomen. I just think religion as an idea is bad because for the most part it goes against my Live and let live ideals by condemning and converting those different; therefore creating hate/dislike for others.

outtawack311
02-10-2008, 03:36 AM
Actually what they believe is extremely far fetched. Hubbard created Scientology in the 1950's. Its not like he discovered documents that were according to him millions of years old. He created it as a organization but as it grew taxes was killing him so thats when he pushed for scientology to be labeled as a religion so it could become tax exempt.

Scientology is the only "religion" that requires you to pay to learn more. Other religions have voluntary donations and can learn about it for free.

He is a direct quote from that crook.

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"

That quote is one main reason I can't believe people, like my dad, are involved in it.

I don't buy the whole voluntary donation thing. When they pass around that collection plate you better stick something on it or you sure do look bad. They say its voluntary, but it is more of a manufactured peer pressure than a direct organizational pressure.

Don't forget that in the past the church has charged for forgiveness. It used to go to the highest bidders, that has since changed. Who says given a few hundred years that L. Ron Hubbard wont be seen as a prophet and that these won't be seen as the dark years when scientology was charging for advancement. This is how religion starts anyways, one man comes out with some beliefs and gains a following, which is then persecuted, then continues to grow to be a major player in religion.

Megatron
02-10-2008, 03:53 AM
That quote is one main reason I can't believe people, like my dad, are involved in it.

I don't buy the whole voluntary donation thing. When they pass around that collection plate you better stick something on it or you sure do look bad. They say its voluntary, but it is more of a manufactured peer pressure than a direct organizational pressure.

Don't forget that in the past the church has charged for forgiveness. It used to go to the highest bidders, that has since changed. Who says given a few hundred years that L. Ron Hubbard wont be seen as a prophet and that these won't be seen as the dark years when scientology was charging for advancement. This is how religion starts anyways, one man comes out with some beliefs and gains a following, which is then persecuted, then continues to grow to be a major player in religion. Who gets the Scienetology money now?

Majpain
02-10-2008, 03:53 AM

Don't forget that in the past the church has charged for forgiveness. It used to go to the highest bidders, that has since changed. Who says given a few hundred years that L. Ron Hubbard wont be seen as a prophet and that these won't be seen as the dark years when scientology was charging for advancement. This is how religion starts anyways, one man comes out with some beliefs and gains a following, which is then persecuted, then continues to grow to be a major player in religion.

Well catholic is a whole different issue. Different religions have different ways. Most have a collection box somewhere in the building.

I still don't see Scientology as a religion. I see them more as a brainwashing organization.

Each to their own. I have made my point the best way I can.

Megatron
02-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Well catholic is a whole different issue. Different religions have different ways. Most have a collection box somewhere in the building.

I still don't see Scientology as a religion. I see them more as a brainwashing organization.

Each to their own. I have made my point the best way I can. Not surprising why German authorities have banned it, they know all about that type of thing.

Jets81
02-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Each to their own. I have made my point the best way I can.

When I was forced to attend Catholic church, there was a point in mass when the deacons and alter boys walked around with baskets attached to broom sticks. They would stand at the end of the pew and move the basket passed each persons face in the row. Certainly seemed to me that they were actively looking for a handout, while trying to shame those who didn't donate in the process.

Jets81
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM

David Blane = Jesus Christ?

:lol:

Majpain
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
When I was forced to attend Catholic church, there was a point in mass when the deacons and alter boys walked around with baskets attached to broom sticks. They would stand at the end of the pew and move the basket passed each persons face in the row. Certainly seemed to me that they were actively looking for a handout, while trying to shame those who didn't donate in the process.

A whole different issue with Catholics. Not all Religions do that. I agree that is wrong .

ih8brady
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
in 1000 years, Scientology might replace Christianity. Tom Cruise will be their Jesus.

The difference being that Jesus was over five feet tall.

FINintheMOON
02-12-2008, 09:57 PM

/rant

edit
/edit

Obviously you have paid TOO much attention to the world's struggle in religion if you are making statements like this... When was the last time you went to church?

Do you realize that over 700,000 people volunteered their time to go to Mississippi and Louisiana because of their beliefs in TRUE Christianity in the first year after the Katrina event? And we are not talking about a day here or there... We are talking about weeks at a time!

Religion is not only your belief in the higher power, it is about service to your community, helping others and spreading the word of Christ and being a good nieghbor.

Spreading the word of Christ and doing so through actions and not limiting to the words of the book...

Religion can be defined in many ways... But if you truly believe in a Christian, Jewish, Muslem or other factions of religion, the first thing that will be evident to you is that giving and helping others is the primary belief of all those religions...

FINintheMOON
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Those strange rules and moral codes are part of the problem with religion. People see that as law and anyone who believes differently is a criminal. I am talking about the petty rules such as you must go to church Sunday or you go to hell, not the 'thou shall not kill' ones. It all manifests hate (or to a lesser extent dislike) and I think that is a problem.

I know human nature should take some blame for that one too.

I agree completely with this part.

I think scientology gets a rougher treatment then it deserves, my dad is a scientologist. He isn't nuts, he doesn't fork over tons of money and everyone I have met that is a part of it are actually very nice, well put together people. He brought me to some of their courses before and I thought the entire organization was pretty moronic and I didn't continue.....just figured i'd share that.

The reason I bolded the last part of your quote is I COMPLETELY agree with you. I was disgusted when my mom mentioned the money thing in my earlier post. People need to in general just let people do what makes them happy, unless it harms someone else. I don't care if people are really into religion, go ahead and eat your jesus cracker, become fana or hide your aficomen. I just think religion as an idea is bad because for the most part it goes against my Live and let live ideals by condemning and converting those different; therefore creating hate/dislike for others.

Well isn't that a religion? Religion can be decsribed 2 ways... The actual practice of prayer to a GOD in a religious sense or the commitment to follow a certain belief of a given idea or idealogity...

As you stated, you are free to practice your beliefs and have the right to do so... However, you DO NOT have the right to say that all other beliefs in religion are wrong!!!