PDA

View Full Version : which TE will fall to us in the 3rd

2413fanphins
02-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I think a glaring need we have is at TE.

we need a big strong physical dude, with good hands.

I don't care if he is a little raw yet at route running, as I don't think he will be running too many hard routes the way it is. Another weapon for beck or (insert qb here) would only help.

A guy I have in mind who I am hoping will fall to us is kellen davis from MSU.
6'6" 240 and change, I like his size. I saw just a few games of him, and it seems to me like he is basically wasted space out there. I have no idea why they wouldn't use this guy a bit more.
But seeing as how the MSU culture last year was definately to run the ball, he got tons of work in on blocking some of the better DE's in the big ten.

I suppose perhaps even some outside blitzes. I think overall he is a good blocker with the size to take on just about anybody. I don't know of his overall speed, but underneath routes when you need 5-8 yards, I think he could be a major weapon.

fred davis I am sure will be gone by than. so I won't even say much about him.

martin rucker is anothe guy I think may fall to the 4th round.
he's the dude from mizzou. close to the same measureables as davis.
plays in the big twelve so he certainly must see some good athletes as well.
I haven't seen much of him, but read that blocking isn't exactly his strong suit.
I have also read that he has dedicated himself a bit more to improving his blocking.
HE did win a ton of awards and may not fall to the third, so we may loose out on him anyway. He would have been decent coming out last year.
I have been reading conflicting reports on this kid, some say right behind fred davis a sure day one pick, some say he falls to day two.
I think there may be more pressing needs on day one, but who knows.
what do you guys think?

2413fanphins
02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
of course the combine will have a lot to do with all of this.
if either of them fall to the fourth i would be super happy.

third round is more realistic, but like I said there may be more pressing needs.

I am Bane
02-03-2008, 02:59 PM
i totally agree with you. we need a TE and thats a great spot hopefully to find one. what will help too is some hopefully creative play-calling to help these TE's get open up the middle of the field.

i not fond of Kellen Davis cause of off field probs, and also he seems lazt in some routes at times, not finishing them off and such.

Martin Rucker and Jacob Tamme are basically same type of players (Tamme faster)... both good route runners good hands, both need to add bulk and get better base when blocking... but i like those two in the passing game

Roman529
02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
If Fred Davis is there at the #32 spot you grab him up.

blackthought
02-03-2008, 03:57 PM
If Fred Davis is there at the #32 spot you grab him up.

:woot: Fred Davis thats the man, and HE will be their at 32.

dominizzo
02-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Is Davis like Gates

alen1
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
:woot: Fred Davis thats the man, and HE will be their at 32.

i dont see how gb passes up on him unless jonathan stewart is there. i know they got grant but i still think they take stewart if he is available

#1dolphinsfan
02-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Is Davis like Gates
Witch Davis there are a couple Davis TE in this years draft

I am Bane
02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Fred Davis is probably the top TE in the draft this year....
Kellen Davis is the Mich St. TE that has offseason probs that i dislike. plus he seems to get lazy at times in routes not finishing them off,and for a big guy isnt all that powerful.

RickytheBeast34
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Martellus Bennett Texas A&M Round 3

Majpain
02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Brad Cottam

paulomac77
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I really like Bennett from Texas A&M, he is big and athletic with a background in basketball, similar to gates... I hope he falls to us in the third but that would be wishful thinking, I think its hard to project where TE will be drafted because its hard to evaluate blocking .... if we dont' take a TE in the first 4 picks TE from texas, Jermichael Finley is another project type guy that has really good physical tools wouldnt want him in the first 4 rounds though

I am Bane
02-04-2008, 12:33 AM
i ahree bennett is a huge target, how far can he fall is the question.

also i would like to see him in the combine though too

Hibachi
02-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Martellus Bennett might not be there in the 3rd but I see him as the #2 TE behind Davis.

And yes, he can block.

Crono139
02-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Tamme from Kentucky is best TE available in terms of blocking. Hands down. He'll be gone by the end of the 3rd round for sure.

Be on the lookout for both Carlson from Notre Dame, and Keller from Purdue. Carlson was quiet mainly because of the lacking offense of ND, unfortunately, but he has the build of a solid TE. Keller is an improving star, and he amazed me with his performance in his team's bowl game.

PHAZINPHINZPHAN
02-04-2008, 02:59 AM
Brad Cottam

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Tamme from Kentucky is best TE available in terms of blocking. Hands down. He'll be gone by the end of the 3rd round for sure.

Be on the lookout for both Carlson from Notre Dame, and Keller from Purdue. Carlson was quiet mainly because of the lacking offense of ND, unfortunately, but he has the build of a solid TE. Keller is an improving star, and he amazed me with his performance in his team's bowl game.

Tamme is the best? everything i read says the guy cant hold up as a blocker and thats from a few different experts, a few even said he is downright he isnt a very good blocker.

Keller and Jermichael finley are two guys im interested to see workout. same goes for carlson, hopefully he puts the weight back on that he lost while sick. hopefully we do grab a TE, im on the rucker, cottam or carlson band wagon and depending on how keller and finley measure up i could jump on their bandwagon too.

Crono139
02-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Tamme is the best? everything i read says the guy cant hold up as a blocker and thats from a few different experts, a few even said he is downright he isnt a very good blocker.

From what I've seen, he's damn good. His Senior Bowl performance wasn't too impressive, but I hope it was just a fluke. Once he gets a tad bigger, he'll be set.

Regardless, Tamme still isn't a normal TE, and he reminds me of Dallas Clark. He can line up just about anywhere, and that's where positive mismatches happen.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 03:25 AM
From what I've seen, he's damn good. His Senior Bowl performance wasn't too impressive, but I hope it was just a fluke. Once he gets a tad bigger, he'll be set.

Regardless, Tamme still isn't a normal TE, and he reminds me of Dallas Clark. He can line up just about anywhere, and that's where positive mismatches happen.

I have no problem with Tamme coming in that role if he could it. Only thing is at the senior bowl i noticed he couldnt separate from anyone. So im interested to see his cone drills at the combine.

Crono139
02-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Only thing is at the senior bowl i noticed he couldnt separate from anyone.

I think back to that sidearm pass that Brennan sent his way, but he just never went to the ball. That was picked off for 6.

Then, at the end of the game, he was in the back off the endzone, but I think he went off his route somewhere. That's why Ainge's pass wasn't on the money.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 03:47 AM
I think back to that sidearm pass that Brennan sent his way, but he just never went to the ball. That was picked off for 6.

Then, at the end of the game, he was in the back off the endzone, but I think he went off his route somewhere. That's why Ainge's pass wasn't on the money.

im not going based off the game. im going based off the practices and the practice notes i read. they said he had a real problem getting off the line and then gaining separation from the linebackers and safeties. so i see him more as an h back probably and possibly working from the slot. he may be able to play on the line but at 235 he cant and i dont think he could put on the muscle and still maintain the same quickness.

Crono139
02-04-2008, 03:59 AM
I was just saying.

We'll see how he does at the Combine. I figured he was well known for his terrific speed.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 04:03 AM
I was just saying.

We'll see how he does at the Combine. I figured he was well known for his terrific speed.

well tamme is what he is. a decent TE at the college level who will probably not start but at least contribute. the combine will be very telling though about him.

Crono139
02-04-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm still more fond of Keller, haha.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm still more fond of Keller, haha.

same here. im interested to see what his height weight etc. if he can measure out at 6'5 about 250 then im definitely on his bandwagon.

FinaticalOne
02-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Right now I'm in favor of Tamme, but not in the 3rd. I think we can get him in the 4th. I like that fact that he is a special teams long-snapper and holder as well. Drafting him we would have someone that perform two jobs on our roster; so If he is a better long-snapper than Denney (who's only job on the roster is long snapper), then this would free up another roster spot to bring in someone at another skilled postion like LB or DB.

But since you are talking about a third round pick on a TE, than I would say Jermichael Finley, I love his size/speed ratio.

I am partial to Brad Cottam too, he's another TE with great size/speed ratio but he really wasn't a productive TE in college and the reason could be the scheme that he was in. I know he is one of the best blocking TEs in the draft which is a huge plus in my book, but I would want to see if he is capable of being a consistent target in the passing game as well. The combine will really boost his stock if he shows the scouts that he has great hands.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:47 AM
so I agree that we should take fred davis at 32... but only if the supposed dallas trade works out.

if we get there two first rounders to pick up on some other serious needs I would jump all over fred davis at 32..

If we don't trade down, I think we need to target one of the CB's with the 32 and go after a TE later like I originally said.

I would love for that dallas trade to go down, we would have three picks from 21-32... there would be some real meat to gnaw on in there.

thanks for contributing to the thread fellas.

doesn't it just suck to be a pats fan today??!!

Dfan06
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
there's is a lot good TE in the draft. Fred Davis, MArtin Rucker, John Carlson, MArtellys Benett one will eventually fall.

MrEd
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM

I don't care if he is a little raw yet at route running, as I don't think he will be running too many hard routes the way it is. Another weapon for beck or (insert qb here) would only help.

6'6" 240 and change, I like his size. I saw just a few games of him, and it seems to me like he is basically wasted space out there. I have no idea why they wouldn't use this guy a bit more.
But seeing as how the MSU culture last year was definately to run the ball, he got tons of work in on blocking some of the better DE's in the big ten.

I suppose perhaps even some outside blitzes. I think overall he is a good blocker with the size to take on just about anybody. I don't know of his overall speed, but underneath routes when you need 5-8 yards, I think he could be a major weapon.

I haven't seen much of him, but read that blocking isn't exactly his strong suit.
I have also read that he has dedicated himself a bit more to improving his blocking.
HE did win a ton of awards and may not fall to the third, so we may loose out on him anyway. He would have been decent coming out last year.
I have been reading conflicting reports on this kid, some say right behind fred davis a sure day one pick, some say he falls to day two.
what do you guys think?

Truthfully, I believe that MIA's struggles at TE were more bad QB and OL play than anything else. TE shouldnt be as high a priority as a big Moss/Plaxico sized WR is. JMO.

Martin played great the last 3 or 4 games and Peele can play TE or HB. Maybe we can draft a 2nd day TE to compete, but thats "at most".

jim1
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Carlson might be the guy, I'd be happy with him.

Dolphin39
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I really don't want us to draft a TE as early as the 3rd. round when we have soooo many other holes to fill. :unsure:

Crono139
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I really don't want us to draft a TE as early as the 3rd. round when we have soooo many other holes to fill. :unsure:

We'll see how many total picks we end up with, and where they fall.

A few of the guys we mentioned SHOULD be available in the 4th, mainly Carlson, and Keller.

uga3406
02-04-2008, 07:35 PM
i personally like martin rucker from missouri but i think he might last til 4th hopefully

Rubbin420
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM

what do you guys think?

Only one choice in the 3rd round.

MrEd
02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
MIA may get a compensatory pick. maybe use that one on a TE. It may be a 5th rounder or something.

#1dolphinsfan
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I like Kellen Davis but if Fred Davis is there at #32 i would like to get him

bluegrassbubba
02-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Have we saw enough of this guy, didnt he have problems with injuries?

Brad Cottam

newlownorder
02-05-2008, 02:13 AM
1) John Carlson (Just a prototype for the type of player Tuna loves...remember Fasano for Dallas??)

2) Kellen Davis (I think this is the pick and we take him in the 4th, Mich. St wasted his talent, we will not)

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
1) John Carlson (Just a prototype for the type of player Tuna loves...remember Fasano for Dallas??)

2) Kellen Davis (I think this is the pick and we take him in the 4th, Mich. St wasted his talent, we will not)

fred davis at 32, if we have dallas' two first rounders.

kellen davis in the 4th if we don't.

DaytonaDolFan13
02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
@ #32 its Davis

playeragent2612
02-06-2008, 01:21 AM
John Carlson is the Man to look at late 2nd early 3rd. Remember who his HC was at ND. I see the connection already. He has the nice size Parcells looks for.

See thread for Top 3 scenario's

phinfan77
02-06-2008, 01:24 AM
is davis better than olsen was last year?

Digital
02-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Be on the lookout for both Carlson from Notre Dame, and Keller from Purdue. Carlson was quiet mainly because of the lacking offense of ND, unfortunately, but he has the build of a solid TE.

I also think Carlson would be a great option in round 4. He's likely to be there because he's not quite as fast or athletic as the others, but he's big, got reliable hands, and will be a very good pass catching TE in the red zone. For some reason he's flying under the radar a bit at the moment, probably the horrid ND season, but he's a guy that's going to shine in the NFL, and I think he's the type of TE Parcells/Ireland would like: dependable, big target, good hands, and probably one of the few top tier TE's that will be available that late in the draft.

Jed
02-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Unless there are trades, I think we have to wait until the pick at the beginning of the 4th round for a TE as we need to address other needs first. At that point, we grab whichever of them is left. There are several good TE prospects in this draft that may be available. My 3 are:

Tamme - as was said, very much like Dallas Clark H-Back type
Cottam - huge, good blocker, online TE type
Finley - could probably play either, would need to bulk up a bit to be online TE
I think

Boone
02-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Amen brother! :up: