PDA

View Full Version : Thanks For The Reminder Giants

BIG_FISH_RI
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
As we all know there is a premium on good quality defensive linemen, and after watching the Superbowl the GIANTS just reminded me of that fact. The Miami staff is just blowing smoke. There is no way you trade so far down in the draft that you put yourself in the position to not get one of those top d-linemen. There is only 3 NFL ready in this draft and all 3 will be gone by pick 6 if that. We must get one of them because they don’t come along that often. 1st pick in the NFL draft the Miami dolphins select…………..you fill it in.

Wolf13
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Chris Long, DE/OLB from The University of Virginia!

man what a pair he'd make with JT on the other side!

JepheryRoss
02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
As we all know there is a premium on good quality defensive linemen, and after watching the Superbowl the GIANTS just reminded me of that fact. The Miami staff is just blowing smoke. There is no way you trade so far down in the draft that you put yourself in the position to not get one of those top d-linemen. There is only 3 NFL ready in this draft and all 3 will be gone by pick 6 if that. We must get one of them because they don’t come along that often. 1st pick in the NFL draft the Miami dolphins select…………..you fill it in.

although i definately agree, its not like their line was built with big mega contract drafted rookies.... every year these top picks are costing more and more ... i like the idea of trading down and getting decent talent for decent money....

Michael Strahan - (Pick #40 1993)
Barry Coefield - (Pick #124 2006)
Fred Robbins - (Pick #55 2000)
Osi Umenyiora - (Pick #56 2003)

Justin Tuck - (Pick #74 2005)

Defensive Linemanare honestly one of the biggest bust picks in the top 10 ... Although I definately like Chris Long alot, I'm just playing devils advocate here...

Courtney Brown
Corey Simon
Gerard Warren
Justin Smith (decent, but top 10 pick c'mon)
Andre Carter (bust)
Ryan Sims
Dewayne Robertson
Johnathan Sullivan

since like 03 or 04 i think maybe 2 defensive lineman have been drafted in the top 10 because teams have learned their lesson...

BIG_FISH_RI
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree with you 200%
it will be Chris Long for 3 huge reasons amongst other of reasons.

1. He gives us more flexabilty (he can play end - or OLB)
2. Tuna has a thing for NFL players Kids.
3. Tuna has great relationship with Gro (SP?) and he says that long is the best player he has ever coached.

knoxpk
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I too felt we really need to focus on "D" after watching that game. What a treat it was to watch Brady get beaten and battered all night long!

bkbuffet
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Did you hear Howie last night making the comment that If Brett Favre plays next year, he could possibly have the opportunity to be sacked by 2 generations of Longs... hehe.

BIG_FISH_RI
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
although i definately agree, its not like their line was built with big mega contract drafted rookies.... every year these top picks are costing more and more ... i like the idea of trading down and getting decent talent for decent money....

Michael Strahan - (Pick #40 1993)
Barry Coefield - (Pick #124 2006)
Fred Robbins - (Pick #55 2000)
Osi Umenyiora - (Pick #56 2003)

Justin Tuck - (Pick #74 2005)

Defensive Linemanare honestly one of the biggest bust picks in the top 10 ... Although I definately like Chris Long alot, I'm just playing devils advocate here...

Courtney Brown
Corey Simon
Gerard Warren
Justin Smith (decent, but top 10 pick c'mon)
Andre Carter (bust)
Ryan Sims
Dewayne Robertson
Johnathan Sullivan

since like 03 or 04 i think maybe 2 defensive lineman have been drafted in the top 10 because teams have learned their lesson...

I see where your coming from but that goes for every positon and the reason why there has been such a drop off is becasue there has not been any lineman worth that high of a pick in year hence the premuim on them.

JepheryRoss
02-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Quentin Groves would be PERFECT for this team.

FinaticalOne
02-04-2008, 01:57 PM

I agree, but I'm not completely against trading down if we get a nice amout of first day picks in return.

Watching the G-Men d-line was reminiscent of when we had the d-line of Jason Taylor, Darryl Gardener, Tim Bowens, and Trace Armstrong rushing the QB. We didn't have to blitz much because of that front four. We led the league in sacks that year. That wasn't even that long ago, but it seems like it was an eternity.

biggtyme13
02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Draft Kellen Davis and make him a LB dude played de and can rush the qb!!!!!!!

cnc66
02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Dorsey is the man we really need.. instant run stoppage, something Howie's kid can't do as well for us.. we MUST stop the run

Dolfan_Noles
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I like the idea of bringing on Corey Williams if he's available at the right price and adding Long opposite of Taylor.

A good secondary would make a huge difference for the line too. That extra half second that it takes for a receiver to get open could easily result in a sack.

It's all about the right players for the right scheme...

SgtPhin
02-04-2008, 06:20 PM
If we're going to a 3-4, JT won't be a DE!! He plays OLB in the 3-4! He's way too light in the rear-end to be a 3-4 DE!! 3-4 DE's are typically 285-315 lbs. JT might be at 250, more likely 240! Our 3-4 ends would be R. Wright and V. Holliday/ M. Roth and C. Page.

Our rush LB's or OLB's would be JT, JP, Q. Moses and A. Wright. At NT we have (right now) P. Soliai, S.Fifita, possibly A. Bryant.

Xeticus
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree, but I'm not completely against trading down if we get a nice amout of first day picks in return.

Watching the G-Men d-line was reminiscent of when we had the d-line of Jason Taylor, Darryl Gardener, Tim Bowens, and Trace Armstrong rushing the QB. We didn't have to blitz much because of that front four. We led the league in sacks that year. That wasn't even that long ago, but it seems like it was an eternity.
Imagine if we still used a 4-3 defense. Then Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey would be a lock for us. It seems to me that talent for a 3-4 defense is a little harder to come by.

ozman
02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
The thing I noticed that both teams had that we didn't and that was a quarterback

JT#1
02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
The thing I noticed that both teams had that we didn't and that was a quarterback
you mean Brady? who was on his *** about 30 times because of the Giants d-line?the one who only scored 14 points? that quarterback?

popularwar
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
you mean Brady? who was on his *** about 30 times because of the Giants d-line?the one who only scored 14 points? that quarterback?
Dude, come on...
I hate Tom Brady more than anyone else in the world (I'm sure of that) but you can't say he's not a good QB because he had a bad game. He has three rings, two super bowl MVP's, one NFL MVP and the record for touchdowns in a season.

JT#1
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Dude, come on...
I hate Tom Brady more than anyone else in the world (I'm sure of that) but you can't say he's not a good QB because he had a bad game. He has three rings, two super bowl MVP's, one NFL MVP and the record for touchdowns in a season.
what i said did come out wrong. What i meant to get across was that no matter how good the Qb is, if he doesn't have time to throw the ball you might as well have ray lucas as your QB. d and oline play in the NFL is severely underated

amspeed13
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
what i said did come out wrong. What i meant to get across was that no matter how good the Qb is, if he doesn't have time to throw the ball you might as well have ray lucas as your QB. d and oline play in the NFL is severely underated

Agree. A good Oline will make a decent QB better. An awesome D will make a great QB look bad.

ozman
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Look at every team that was in the championship games, they all have quarterbacks. We had a great defense with this qb called Fiedler, how far did we get with him? I am all for defense, but you still need a stud playing qb. Till that happens we are never going anywhere.

amspeed13
02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Look at how Brady looked last night. He is normally a stud, but his line couldnt stop anything. If we build our D and our Oline and maybe see what Beck can do with some time and some weapons... we might just have something. It doesnt matter how great your QB is unless he has time and a good supporting cast.

JT#1
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Look at every team that was in the championship games, they all have quarterbacks. We had a great defense with this qb called Fiedler, how far did we get with him? I am all for defense, but you still need a stud playing qb. Till that happens we are never going anywhere.
Since when is Eli a stud? he is an above average QB for sure, but stud?
The D playing one of the greatest defensive performances in the history of the Super Bowl won them that game.

ChambersWI
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Dorsey is the man we really need.. instant run stoppage, something Howie's kid can't do as well for us.. we MUST stop the run

He's pretty good against the run. I think we can all agree either player would be great. Both are high character guys with few weaknesses and non stop motors.