PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take Matt Ryan #1,If He Had Flacco's Arm?

DOL-FAN92
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I definately would take Matt Ryan number 1 if he had Joe Flacco's arm.Ryan has the best leadership,intangibles,and awareness in the draft.Although he has a knack for turning the ball over,he stated that QB's have to be willing to risk a INT(which is true),or youre going to be holding back on not only yourself,but your team as well.Ryans arm is good,but isn't amazing.He has proto-typical size and weight for a NFL QB,6'5",224.Not too mention he is the most accurate passer coming out of college.So, i was wondering,would you take the QB in Matt Ryan if he had Flacco's powerful arm with the number one pick?

#1dolphinsfan
02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
No i dont think we need to draft a QB with the First overall pick i say Beck needs a Chance and if we do draft a QB i think Flacco or Andre' Woodson will be there in the 3rd

JT#1
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
no

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
no. even if he did it still doesnt help with the decision making.

Nappy Roots
02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Not too mention he is the most accurate passer coming out of college.

what?

hes not even close to the most accurate passer. wtf?

NorFlaFin
02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing most people never watched Matt Ryan at BC.

#1dolphinsfan
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I have Watched him i just think the #1 overall pick is to High for a QB to be taken and i think Brian Brohm in better IMO

mxkawi1
02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
No, I didn't. But I did watch the Dolphins. And we need alot of other positions before we need a QB.

The Super Bowl proved that it doesn't matter how good your QB is, if he doesn't have any time, you aren't scoring points.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
oh yeah another thread with a bunch of people overexagerating matt ryans interception numbers.

give beck this year, and if he fails horribly, shoot for perriloux in next years draft.

JT#1
02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
give beck this year, and if he fails horribly, shoot for perriloux in next years draft.
why would we draft an option quarterback?

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
oh yeah another thread with a bunch of people overexagerating matt ryans interception numbers.

so are you going to go and tell experts like scott wright and scouts inc that say he has decision making problems that they over exaggerating too? you can argue that alot of qbs interception totals are skewed somewhat but the thing ive read and seen is he has issues with decision making especially when the pocket starts breaking down.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
why would we draft an option quarterback?

exactly. plus he is a junior next year and we will see if he comes out. personally if todd boeckman or hunter cantwell have a good year and beck doesnt pan out (even though i think he will) i wouldnt mind taking a look at them.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
so are you going to go and tell experts like scott wright and scouts inc that say he has decision making problems that they over exaggerating too? you can argue that alot of qbs interception totals are skewed somewhat but the thing ive read and seen is he has issues with decision making especially when the pocket starts breaking down.

you can't fathom the insufficient talent matt ryan had to work with.

I don't really see myself going to scott wrights place for a sitdown talk no, and who exactly would I talk to at scouts inc. You wanna know a bad decision, brian brohm deciding to stay at school, instead of entering last years draft. thats bad decision making. I hope his degree makes him a bunch of money to make up for all the money lost himself by not coming out.

did you see tom brady's decision making last night when the pocket started breaking down. not exactly genious to say the least bro!!

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
todd boeckman?

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
you can't fathom the insufficient talent matt ryan had to work with.

I don't really see myself going to scott wrights place for a sitdown talk no, and who exactly would I talk to at scouts inc. You wanna know a bad decision, brian brohm deciding to stay at school, instead of entering last years draft. thats bad decision making. I hope his degree makes him a bunch of money to make up for all the money lost himself by not coming out.

did you see tom brady's decision making last night when the pocket started breaking down. not exactly genious to say the least bro!!

yea he held on to the ball and didnt make the the stupid throw to avoid the sack which is what ryan supposedly does. so yes it was pretty genious of brady not to make some stupid threw to avoid the sack.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:19 PM
todd boeckman?

from osu. the same todd boeckman that got his team to the national title game.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I was referring more to the severe over/underthrowing of moss everytime he had seperation but if you insist on bringing up the sacks thats fine too I guess.

so does ryan supposedly do it, or does he literally do it??

brett favre ever try to force anything?

(and no I am not endorsing matt ryan as the next brett favre)

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
from osu. the same todd boeckman that got his team to the national title game.

how did that turn out.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
how did that turn out.

better than matt ryans season.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
how so? completion percentage?

5 less int's in over 300 less attempts?

I don't really follow?

but if you say so.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I was referring more to the severe over/underthrowing of moss everytime he had seperation but if you insist on bringing up the sacks thats fine too I guess.

so does ryan supposedly do it, or does he literally do it??

brett favre ever try to force anything?

(and no I am not endorsing matt ryan as the next brett favre)

so over throwing/under throwing a pass is a bad decision?

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I was merely referring to how a qb's play can be severely affected by pass protection or the lack thereof.

and when you literally have to force it over the half the time because you are surrounded by mediocre talent sometimes you make mistakes.

theres a reason matt ryan averaged somewhere around 40 attempts a game.
he had to win or lose the game by himself. they lost three times, one in horrible weather, and won the rest, including the most important game of the year. the bowl game.
I can live with that.

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I was merely referring to how a qb's play can be severely affected by pass protection or the lack thereof.

and when you literally have to force it over the half the time because you are surrounded by mediocre talent sometimes you make mistakes.

theres a reason matt ryan averaged somewhere around 40 attempts a game.
he had to win or lose the game by himself. they lost three times, one in horrible weather, and won the rest, including the most important game of the year. the bowl game.
I can live with that.

well i guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. since i havent been able to watch much of ryan save for the vt game and fsu game im just going by what the consensus experts say and thats just he is a good quarterback but not a franchise one.

MrEd
02-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I definately would take Matt Ryan number 1 if he had Joe Flacco's arm.Ryan has the best leadership,intangibles,and awareness in the draft.Although he has a knack for turning the ball over,he stated that QB's have to be willing to risk a INT(which is true),or youre going to be holding back on not only yourself,but your team as well.Ryans arm is good,but isn't amazing.He has proto-typical size and weight for a NFL QB,6'5",224.Not too mention he is the most accurate passer coming out of college.So, i was wondering,would you take the QB in Matt Ryan if he had Flacco's powerful arm with the number one pick?

Matt Ryan "does" have Flacco's arm. Flacco is just slightly stronger...as it is probably stronger than any QB in the NFL right now.

2413fanphins
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
thats fine and dandy bro!!!

if ya ever get the chance you could always watch the first VT game, where they won.
I thought he played particularly well in three out of his last four games. didn't always light up the stat line, but I like his leadership attitude and calm demeanor.
I think he's a guy that wouldn't hold out, and wouldn't have any off field issues for us to have to deal with in the future.

VT picked ryan twice in both games. just fyi,

the fsu game, I think we can all agree may have been different in nice weather, but it wasn't his night and thats just the way the world works.

Eli manning took a few years, matt ryan could be a franchise qb, he might just not be one the day we draft him. (if we do)

ftr... I do agree with you that we shouldn't take him at #1 overall, but if we trade down anywhere else in the top ten or twelve, I would pull the trigger as fast as humanly possible.

adamprez2003
02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
so are you going to go and tell experts like scott wright and scouts inc that say he has decision making problems that they over exaggerating too? you can argue that alot of qbs interception totals are skewed somewhat but the thing ive read and seen is he has issues with decision making especially when the pocket starts breaking down. So you would take the opinion of Scott Wright over the opinion of all the GMs that have come out and siad Matt Ryan is a number one pick? Sorry if I'm going to base my opinion on what others think I think I would be looking at what the professionals think before I start going over to the amateur ranks

JT#1
02-04-2008, 11:57 PM
So you would take the opinion of Scott Wright over the opinion of all the GMs that have come out and siad Matt Ryan is a number one pick?
What GMs?

PerfectTeam
02-04-2008, 11:59 PM
thats fine and dandy bro!!!

if ya ever get the chance you could always watch the first VT game, where they won.
I thought he played particularly well in three out of his last four games. didn't always light up the stat line, but I like his leadership attitude and calm demeanor.
I think he's a guy that wouldn't hold out, and wouldn't have any off field issues for us to have to deal with in the future.

VT picked ryan twice in both games. just fyi,

the fsu game, I think we can all agree may have been different in nice weather, but it wasn't his night and thats just the way the world works.

Eli manning took a few years, matt ryan could be a franchise qb, he might just not be one the day we draft him. (if we do)

ftr... I do agree with you that we shouldn't take him at #1 overall, but if we trade down anywhere else in the top ten or twelve, I would pull the trigger as fast as humanly possible.

yea if i find it i will definitely check it out. i like matt ryan and think he is a good QB prospect but to me he just isnt #1 worthy. hopefully someone like the falcons pick him up and he can turn around that franchise for the better.

PerfectTeam
02-05-2008, 12:13 AM
So you would take the opinion of Scott Wright over the opinion of all the GMs that have come out and siad Matt Ryan is a number one pick? Sorry if I'm going to base my opinion on what others think I think I would be looking at what the professionals think before I start going over to the amateur ranks

could you name these gms please?

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
could you name these gms please?

I've read on here more than once that our very own jeff ireland likes matt ryan.

could be a smokescreen, could be fact.

theres really no way of knowing.

unless you personally know ireland, which I do not.

Phinja
02-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I cant fathom how people consider this guy a franchise QB...

Too many picks, too low a completion percentage in college!

One play in particular stands out: Against VT, the last minute play where he escapes the colapsing pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and makes a cross field throw to the endzone for a GW TD!!!!!

Great play, right?

As soon as that ball left his hands and spent what seemed like 30 seconds in the air, the first thing I thought to myself: "It this was the NFL, that would be 6 the other way. No way he squeezes that in there against a bunch of DBs with NFL speed."

It won him the game, and filled his highlight reel, but in reality it was a AWFUL decision; there is no way that a guy with his lack of arm strength should even look at that side of the field on that play. That crap works in college, but it wouldn't fly in the big league.

PerfectTeam
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I've read on here more than once that our very own jeff ireland likes matt ryan.

could be a smokescreen, could be fact.

theres really no way of knowing.

unless you personally know ireland, which I do not.

he likes matt ryan yes but has he come out and publicly stated that he is worth the number one overall pick? id like to read it if he did is what im saying.

umpalu
02-05-2008, 01:59 AM
I don't get this thread!?! It's like asking would you take chris long if he had ted ginn's speed.

Coral Reefer
02-05-2008, 02:17 AM

Um.... well he dosen't have Flacco's arm so why is there a discussion like this.

This isn't fantasy robo-draftee where you can buy upgradable parts along with your draft picks.

adamprez2003
02-05-2008, 02:24 AM
could you name these gms please?Tom Heckert was one. Charlie Casserly was another. In the Heckert article two unnamed GMs said Matt Ryan is who they would take with number one overall, two took Chris Long, two McFadden, one Jake Long and one Dorsey. In the Casserly article he had interviewed all 32 GMs and the consensus was Ryan was the best QB and would be a legitimate number one pick for a team that needed a QB. Frank Coyle a former scout also has us drafting Ryan

Add the fact that our GM Ireland is intrigued with drafting Ryan (unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the smokescreen) and it becomes pretty obvious that the professionals view Ryan as a legitimate number one pick. Not the only one, granted, but definitely in the discussion

Majpain
02-05-2008, 02:26 AM

I have seen that TO machine play.

PerfectTeam
02-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Tom Heckert was one. Charlie Casserly was another. In the Heckert article two unnamed GMs said Matt Ryan is who they would take with number one overall, two took Chris Long, two McFadden, one Jake Long and one Dorsey. In the Casserly article he had interviewed all 32 GMs and the consensus was Ryan was the best QB and would be a legitimate number one pick for a team that needed a QB. Frank Coyle a former scout also has us drafting Ryan

Add the fact that our GM Ireland is intrigued with drafting Ryan (unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the smokescreen) and it becomes pretty obvious that the professionals view Ryan as a legitimate number one pick. Not the only one, granted, but definitely in the discussion

well it still would put them in the minority since the majority went away from picking him. this article also says that the teams dont consider him as highly as other qbs and one team president even went as far as saying most teams dont consider him a franchise qb.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080124dan-pompei-nfl-draft,1,2047991.column

adamprez2003
02-05-2008, 02:54 AM
well it still would put them in the minority since the majority went away from picking him. this article also says that the teams dont consider him as highly as other qbs and one team president even went as far as saying most teams dont consider him a franchise qb.

Noone got more picks than Ryan so using your logic every player is in the minority. Also he's the best QB prospect this year. There's no debate on that with the pros. The article says he's not as high as Jamarcus Russell, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer in their minds

Here's the complete quote on your franchise quote"This year none of the quarterbacks are franchise guys," one team president said. "You can't even argue they might be. But the reason you take a quarterback, even if he's not the perfect prospect, is that's the only position where the pay for the first pick in the draft would be even close to being justified. It has a chance to be justified. Whoever you get, you're going to severely overpay."

And if you want to choose the bad quotes over the good ones here are some for the other players

Chris Long probably is the safest pick among the top four. He probably won't be a bust, but he also probably won't be a Hall of Famer like his father Howie Long.

"He's 280 pounds," one AFC general manager said. "It's not like he's 320 and dominant."

Everyone is in agreement that Dorsey will be an outstanding pro. But if, as expected, the Dolphins elect to use a 3-4 defense, choosing Dorsey will make little sense. You don't use the first pick in the draft on a nose tackle—which is what Dorsey would play in a three-man front.

PerfectTeam
02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Noone got more picks than Ryan so using your logic every player is in the minority. Also he's the best QB prospect this year. There's no debate on that with the pros. The article says he's not as high as Jamarcus Russell, Eli Manning and Carson Palmer in their minds

Here's the complete quote on your franchise quote"This year none of the quarterbacks are franchise guys," one team president said. "You can't even argue they might be. But the reason you take a quarterback, even if he's not the perfect prospect, is that's the only position where the pay for the first pick in the draft would be even close to being justified. It has a chance to be justified. Whoever you get, you're going to severely overpay."

And if you want to choose the bad quotes over the good ones here are some for the other players

Chris Long probably is the safest pick among the top four. He probably won't be a bust, but he also probably won't be a Hall of Famer like his father Howie Long.

"He's 280 pounds," one AFC general manager said. "It's not like he's 320 and dominant."

Everyone is in agreement that Dorsey will be an outstanding pro. But if, as expected, the Dolphins elect to use a 3-4 defense, choosing Dorsey will make little sense. You don't use the first pick in the draft on a nose tackle—which is what Dorsey would play in a three-man front.

to think dorsey could only play NT is just not true. he gives us more versatility along the line by being able to play any position. my point on ryan is he is not a franchise qb which a good amount of those gms, scouts and draftniks keep saying. i dont see the point in drafting ryan at #1 overall when he isnt heads and shoulders above the next guy on the list.

FinaticalOne
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Perriloux...really!?!? No way. Imo...Perriloux isn't even a top 10 prospect next year.

Try shooting for Hunter Cantwell of Louisville, who I think will be a great NFL QB. He was buried behind Brian Brohm last season, this season will be his turn to shine.

adamprez2003
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
to think dorsey could only play NT is just not true. he gives us more versatility along the line by being able to play any position. my point on ryan is he is not a franchise qb which a good amount of those gms, scouts and draftniks keep saying. i dont see the point in drafting ryan at #1 overall when he isnt heads and shoulders above the next guy on the list. fair enough. agree to disagree. I dont see Long and Dorsey being that much better if at all and being that QB is the most difficult position to fill I think we'll end up drafting him but we'll just have to wait until the combine to see if anyone seperates

Ghetti13
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I would take Matt Ryan at # 1 with Matt Ryan's arm.

He will go in the top five and as high as number one overall. He is a very good quarterback prospect.

That said, I prefer Glenn Dorsey.

MrTree
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
If we are looking for a Qb early next year I would put my money on Matt Stafford at this extremely early date.

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I still think it's unfair for some people on here to look at 19 INT's and say oh #$%%, thats way too high.

He had 654 pass attempts. thats a friggin ton.

and it certainly is unfair to say oh yeah, that was a td in college but there is no way it's a td in the nfl. you just never know.

Motion
02-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Its not his arm that I don't like about him, its his decision making.

Regardless, I don't think we have to worry about it anyway. My money is on Long or Dorsey.

Spray Mucus
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I would take Matt Ryan #1 overall if he had Robot legs, cheeta speed, Flacco's arm, Stephen Hawkins brain, the sense of smell of a hound dog, super sonic ears, the leaping ability of a kangaroo, the strength of a gorilla, the charming good looks of a young Sean Connery, and can play shut down corner back on Defense as well as throwing a football over a mountain at the QB position on offense.

JsBaugh
02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Fact is Ryan is not a concensus #1 pick, so you dont take him at #1. Fact is Ryans arm isnt better than Becks. Fact is Ryan throws more INT's than Beck. Fact is you dont know what you have in Beck yet. Fact is you dont take a QB at #1 with all the other facts I just mentioned.

Fact is, Personal Attacks are not permitted here.

Spray Mucus
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Fact is Ryan is not a concensus #1 pick, so you dont take him at #1. Fact is Ryans arm isnt better than Becks. Fact is Ryan throws more INT's than Beck. Fact is you dont know what you have in Beck yet. Fact is you dont take a QB at #1 with all the other facts I just mentioned.

well that's your opinion man!

Spray Mucus
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
okay. What if Matt Ryan's parents decided they wanted to concieve scientifically and used Archie Manning and Mrs. Archie Mannings sperm and eggs. Thus making Matt Ryan an almost genetic match of Payton and Eli Manning.

would you in F/A/C/T take him #1 then?

Ghetti13
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
That is not a fact Mr. Baugh. That is your opinion. Is it your lack of intelligence or ignorance on the issue which hinders you from seeing the difference?

Telling people to stop posting? Calling them mentally retarded?

Way to get started on the board.

adamprez2003
02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Fact is Ryan is not a concensus #1 pick, so you dont take him at #1. Fact is Ryans arm isnt better than Becks. Fact is Ryan throws more INT's than Beck. Fact is you dont know what you have in Beck yet. Fact is you dont take a QB at #1 with all the other facts I just mentioned. There are no consensus picks this year. There is a group of five players that is generally regarded as a group you can pick from and Ryan is one of them. GMs agree on this. Another thing. Back off the insults. You want to post your opinions fine but you wont be on here too long if you start insulting people

JsBaugh
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
For a couple of you I know its a hard pill to swallow, but Ryan is not a franchise QB. Everything I listed was Fact and not opinion. #1 pick is a $40million investment and Ryan is not worth it when you can get a QB in a later round with stats as good or better than Ryans. If Ryan was with no doubt a franchise QB and was that much better than everyone else in the draft then I would say draft him. Even though Beck would probably beat him out anyway.

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
did beck and ryan both get together and throw 1000 passes to see who threw the most interceptions and I missed it.

Damn, that was going to be my deciding factor, now I guess I have to stick with dorsey.

JsBaugh
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
okay. What if Matt Ryan's parents decided they wanted to concieve scientifically and used Archie Manning and Mrs. Archie Mannings sperm and eggs. Thus making Matt Ryan an almost genetic match of Payton and Eli Manning.

would you in F/A/C/T take him #1 then?

If that were the case then he probably would be the best player in the draft and I would say yes take him, but he is not so its not worth the money or risk..

Hargitt01
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I have Watched him i just think the #1 overall pick is to High for a QB to be taken and i think Brian Brohm in better IMO

Yes!! Matt Ryan couldn't hold Brohm's jock strap.

adamprez2003
02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes!! Matt Ryan couldn't hold Brohm's jock strap.

Why would he want to? I prefer to have my quarterbacks keep their hands off of other QBs jock straps. Otherwise we could just get Jeff Garcia

DOL-FAN92
02-05-2008, 04:25 PM
For a couple of you I know its a hard pill to swallow, but Ryan is not a franchise QB. Everything I listed was Fact and not opinion. #1 pick is a $40million investment and Ryan is not worth it when you can get a QB in a later round with stats as good or better than Ryans. If Ryan was with no doubt a franchise QB and was that much better than everyone else in the draft then I would say draft him. Even though Beck would probably beat him out anyway.

the only thing is....stats in college dont mean nothing in the NFL

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
theres a link in another thread that has mcshay projecting us to take matt ryan #1 overall.

there is no mention of him not being worth the money or worse than brian brohm.

mcshay is no genious, and he's certainly not alwasy right, but I have yet to see any mock draft with us taking brohm when ryan is still on the board.

zach8111
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
im not saying ryan isnt gonna be a good qb but i think we have to give beck a fair shot

PerfectTeam
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
fair enough. agree to disagree. I dont see Long and Dorsey being that much better if at all and being that QB is the most difficult position to fill I think we'll end up drafting him but we'll just have to wait until the combine to see if anyone seperates

fair enough. the combine will be very telling and hopefully either gets someone so hyped over a prospect they want to trade up or at least gives us more of a consensus on who to take.

Dolfan32323
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Perilloux? LOL. Why don't we just sign Testaverde and call it a day.

I am Bane
02-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Brady doesnt have Flacco's arm

RaboGrande24
02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Please Parcells dont draft this overrated ordinary QB. Do the smart thing and bring in a vet and see what we have in Beck. I wouldnt mind a QB later on in the middle rounds to compete with Beck

DaytonaDolFan13
02-06-2008, 12:46 AM
No

Jed
02-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Ditto. No.