PDA

View Full Version : the Matt Ryan Buzz has begun

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
if it was a Tuna smokescreen, then it is working so far

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=767131

1. Matt Ryan (http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=1102) - QB - 6'4" 220 lbs. - Boston College
This savvy, strong-armed prospect has made a mercurial rise up the draft charts.

if there is real interest, then fine with me, let Ryan and Beck duke it out for QB of the future

NJFINSFAN1
02-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I would be pissed if we drafted Ryan 1st.

We need defense.

Motion
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM
:lol: The Ryan Hype started a long time ago.

There was the Gholston hype for about a week or two, then the Ellis hype for about a week, but there has been some ongoing Ryan hype for quite awhile. Flacco is getting his fair share as well.

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

We need defense.

you are correct, but we can't draft for everything in one year and QB's take longer to develop

we are 3 good drafts away from contending, so going strictly for need is kinda irrelevant

Motion
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
That list is interesting, Phillips and Campbell in the Top 10??

NJFINSFAN1
I heard NJFINSFAN1 was being hyped!!!http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Motion
you are correct, but we can't draft for everything in one year and QB's take longer to develop

we are 3 good drafts away from contending, so going strictly for need is kinda irrelevant

Especially when you need just about everything.

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
:lol: The Ryan Hype started a long time ago.

There was the Gholston hype for about a week or two, then the Ellis hype for about a week, but there has been some ongoing Ryan hype for quite awhile. Flacco is getting his fair share as well.

hype that we generated doesn't count

a well executed smokescreen from the Tuna might get us the trading partner we crave

NJFINSFAN1
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM

There is no reason Beck can't be good, up to a month ago in NY they were still calling for Eli's head. I would draft a QB further down add a Vet and let him battle it out with Beck.

Motion
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
hype that we generated doesn't count

a well executed smokescreen from the Tuna might get us the trading partner we crave

True

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM

yes, every day I change my mind about who we should take with the first three picks. TE, DE, WR, OT, LB

ATVZ400
02-05-2008, 02:34 PM
With the buzz of ryan maybe a trade with falcons is possible??

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
There is no reason Beck can't be good, up to a month ago in NY they were still calling for Eli's head. I would draft a QB further down add a Vet and let him battle it out with Beck.

what I hope is that it is a smokescreen, we get extra picks and take Henne/Flacco

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 02:37 PM

maybe we should start negotiating with Ryans' agent

get the Falcon's FO to start puckering up a little

MrTree
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM

Best scenario I see for us really. If the birds end up picking at #3 we could trade down and still take a guy we probably would have got at #1.

Now the trick is selling it to Mr Blank.

NorFlaFin
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
That list appears to be pre senior bowl. Colt Brennen is still listed...period.

52. Colt Brennan (http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=59574) - QB - 6'3" 210 lbs.- Hawaii
Record-setting senior passer needs to shine in major All-star game to dispel the "system QB" label.

uga3406
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
i would be shocked if we drafted ryan with the # 1 pick

Conuficus
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Best scenario I see for us really. If the birds end up picking at #3 we could trade down and still take a guy we probably would have got at #1.

Now the trick is selling it to Mr Blank.

You idea might stand a better chance if the Falcons actually picked lower than 3. At 3 they might be content to call our bluff. But if they were at 5 say, then you might have something. Ideally, you would want KC to be at 3 and Atlanta to be at 5 then they might feel the pressure. They could just as easily trade with St. Louis, or we could take him and pull an Eli; hold him ransom. I don't know, but with Atlanta has gone through they need a "face", and typically QB's are the "face" guy of the team.

ticophin
02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Especially after what Blank saw in the Superbowl and his need of a star, imagine his fanbase in uproar if he takes anybody other than Ryan or DMcF?

AggieFin21
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Keep hyping, keep hyping!

I think its going to be very hard to convince other teams that Bill Parcells is going to take a QB at #1, that's just a given with his track record. It all depends on Matt Ryan and his performance at the combine/pro-days. It's probably going to be more effective if a team is convinced that Ryan is a stud prospect that they need to trade up for instead of worrying about us taking him at #1.

I know I'm not being very clear here lol! I've got the idea in my head, i just can't figure out how to word it right.

lbmclean_sj
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
You idea might stand a better chance if the Falcons actually picked lower than 3. At 3 they might be content to call our bluff. But if they were at 5 say, then you might have something. Ideally, you would want KC to be at 3 and Atlanta to be at 5 then they might feel the pressure. They could just as easily trade with St. Louis, or we could take him and pull an Eli; hold him ransom. I don't know, but with Atlanta has gone through they need a "face", and typically QB's are the "face" guy of the team.

maybe it isn't a smokescreen then

MrEd
02-05-2008, 05:58 PM

We need defense.

We "have" defense. We need a QB and OL!!!

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM

agreed... adding the fact that taking a qb doesn't prohibit us from addressing the defense with other picks.

contrary to popular opinion, there is no rule stating the opposite.

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
when is the coinflip to decide those tie breakers?

TotoreMexico
02-05-2008, 06:07 PM

We need defense.

Same here

TotoreMexico
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
We "have" defense. We need a QB and OL!!!

Really? Where?

2413fanphins
02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
completely misusing porter last year certainly didn't help the phins D.

worse things could happen than picking matt ryan.

TotoreMexico
02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
completely misusing porter last year certainly didn't help the phins D.

worse things could happen than picking matt ryan.

Drafting Jake Long #1 overall, and that's the only one that I can think of right now...:unsure:

SEC.142
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
when is the coinflip to decide those tie breakers?

According to Steve Muench of Scouts INC/ESPN.com, all coin flips take place at the combine.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19129

SgtPhin
02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Drafting Jake Long #1 overall, and that's the only one that I can think of right now...:unsure:

I totally agree Totore! A QB who can't hit his receivers and a RT as #1's, Perfect!! Then we WOULD be the laughing stock of the NFL! But, then again, that would just re-enforce my distrust and dislike of Carp-daddy!!

Silverphin
02-06-2008, 02:27 AM

Actually, Jake Long makes more sense than Matt Ryan, and I wouldn't take him first overall either.

BLITZKRIEG
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I think drafting Ryan at #1 overall makes perfect sense. QB M. Ryan has all the physical tools needed, the intelligence it takes, and even some rare intangibles that most QB's coming out of college don't possess. We're heading into a new era in Miami, and we're going to need a confident QB leading us into the future. I think that Ryan would fill that role, and fill it well....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

rev kev
02-06-2008, 12:16 PM

Me too..., there needs be competition..., and a stable when soemone goes down...

rev kev
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I think drafting Ryan at #1 overall makes perfect sense. QB M. Ryan has all the physical tools needed, the intelligence it takes, and even some rare intangibles that most QB's coming out of college don't possess. We're heading into a new era in Miami, and we're going to need a confident QB leading us into the future. I think that Ryan would fill that role, and fill it well....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

OK I'm not disagreeing but wondering what you see... I already know he had very little in the way of run support...

BlueFin
02-06-2008, 12:25 PM

It may be improbable, but if we can convince that we are after Ryan, I could forsee a double tradedown, moving from 1 to 3 so Atlanta can take Ryan, and then pulling off the Cowboy trade, we could end up with 2- 1sts, 4- 2nds and the first pick in the 3rd when the dust settles, 7 out fo the top 64 picks...it would be a real nice start to this rebuild. Probably won't happen but it doesn't seem impossible.