PDA

View Full Version : Kiper says Ryan reminds him of Eli, Rivers and Roethlisberger

adamprez2003
02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Boston College's Matt Ryan reminds me of the three quarterbacks who were taken at the top of the first round in the 2004 NFL draft -- Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. In four years, Manning and Roethlisberger already have won Super Bowls, and Rivers has reached the AFC Championship game. Ryan -- up to No. 3 on my Top 25 Big Board -- has a grade similar to that of Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger when they were drafted. That's just one reason why you hear Ryan's name associated with the Miami Dolphins, who own the No. 1 pick.

Unfortunately this article is on ESPN Insider so I cant access the rest
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3232293&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d3232293

KnifeOfTheDead
02-07-2008, 12:22 AM
hmmm... i don't think we'll nab him. we have john beck! i think he can develop, and become a good force. but, if parcells/sporano likes him, i think we might pull the trigger.

finforlife
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I hope we continue to hear this kind of news about Matt Ryan over the next three months. The more he gets hyped up, the more other teams may actually believe we'll take him, then that No. 1 pick is tradable.

FINMAN13
02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I would not put to much faith into John Beck starting next season for a couple of reasons.

1) Tuna did not draft him. It does not matter what round or how much he is paid.
2) He did not look even close to being ready last season. He will be something like 27 next season.

I am not saying he will be cut or anything like that. Just saying that he will have COMPETITION for the starting position. I think Matt Ryan is on the radar for the Big Tuna. After the Pro Day / Interviews / Combine...things will be much more clear.

I think Miami will do everything they can to either use the Draft/Trade/Free Agents to upgrade the position. The Phins have T. Green & John Beck... Matt Ryan is not out of the question. Then again neither is B. Brohm and the other rookies.

Miami is not going anywhere next season. It will take at least 2 full seasons to get the players needed. Sure John would not be to old to play at 29 or 30. But his age does come into play for the long term.

I want Chris Long at #1. But if Miami can find a way to trade down a few slots, then Matt Ryan is a strong option. That is if C. Long, G. Dorsey is already taken... ;)

Casas9425
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
why would you want to trade out of the pick when you can select a qb of this quality? john beck was never considered a franchise qb, ryan is a much better prospect coming out of college.

finforlife
02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
why would you want to trade out of the pick when you can select a qb of this quality? john beck was never considered a franchise qb, ryan is a much better prospect coming out of college.

I'm not sure everyone views Ryan as a franchise signal-caller. I've seen mixed reviews on him and his decision-making to me still leaves a lot to be desired. Unless you're 100 percent sold on him being a franchise QB, I don't think you make that commitment with the No. 1 pick.

As Parcells said, whoever that pick is should be a solid player for 10 years in this league. Not sure you can say that about Ryan.

FINMAN13
02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
I think Chris Long & G. Dorsey will be better PRO's than Matt Ryan. Although I think Matt Ryan will have a Solid Career in the NFL.

If Miami can trade down a few slots and get more picks or players...then hell yes do it. If Ryan is still there and C. Long & G. Dorsey is gone, hello Ryan.

But if they stay at #1...
1a) Chris Long
1b) Glenn Dorsey
1c) Matt Ryan
1d) Darren McFadden
1e) Sedrick Ellis
1f) Ryan Clady

That pretty much is my TOP 6... ;) in that order. :)

adamprez2003
02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
The key is how Parcells is going to view both Ryan and Beck. If Parcells believes Ryan is a huge upgrade at the most important position then I think we go QB. If he thinks there is little difference then I think we go defense (Chris Long probably)

adamprez2003
02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
I think Chris Long & G. Dorsey will be better PRO's than Matt Ryan. Although I think Matt Ryan will have a Solid Career in the NFL.

If Miami can trade down a few slots and get more picks or players...then hell yes do it. If Ryan is still there and C. Long & G. Dorsey is gone, hello Ryan.

But if they stay at #1...
1a) Chris Long
1b) Glenn Dorsey
1c) Matt Ryan
1d) Darren McFadden
1e) Sedrick Ellis
1f) Ryan Clady

That pretty much is my TOP 6... ;) in that order. :)

:up: I would rather have Clady than Jake Long also

FINMAN13
02-07-2008, 12:57 AM
:up: I would rather have Clady than Jake Long also

I just think that Jake Long will be another average LT/RT in the NFL. He was beaten pretty bad this past season. Some used force and some used speed. I do not watch a ton of his games. But when I did...I really did not notice him until he made a mistake. He did not have any great blocks downfield. He did his job plenty of plays. But seemed to be average for the most part.:foundout:

I am not a scout...so my thoughts are just that...thoughts.

oasis
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM
It's quite simple guys. We take Ryan and he ends up being the biggest bust ever. We pass on him and he ends up being Eli/Big Ben/Rivers combined into one and wins a SB in his second year as a starter, dates a supermodel, and wins the Man of the Year award.

If I'm Ryan I hope to God the Phins pass on me. I really hope we drum up enough interest to get someone to trade up for him.

TotoreMexico
02-07-2008, 01:01 AM

By who?

adamprez2003
02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
It's quite simple guys. We take Ryan and he ends up being the biggest bust ever. We pass on him and he ends up being Eli/Big Ben/Rivers combined into one and wins a SB in his second year as a starter, dates a supermodel, and wins the Man of the Year award.

If I'm Ryan I hope to God the Phins pass on me. I really hope we drum up enough interest to get someone to trade up for him.:lol::lol: Man dont you know that the witch(Brady) is dead? Didnt you see her slaughtered this Sunday. Our curse is broken I tell ya:lol:

sceeto
02-07-2008, 01:21 AM
I really like John Beck and i'm pulling for him. the only thing that worries me about him isn't so much his height but that he looks a little frail out there, don't you think? That might mean nothing but I love his accuracy and I think he has a good head for the game. Who knows?

Duriel
02-07-2008, 01:25 AM
I really like John Beck and i'm pulling for him. the only thing that worries me about him isn't so much his height but that he looks a little frail out there, don't you think? That might mean nothing but I love his accuracy and I think he has a good head for the game. Who knows?

The new Dolphins regime, which sees potential in John Beck, wants him to develop his body (size, strength, etc.), and Beck hired a trainer to do that. Beck -- one of the first two players to meet with GM Jeff Ireland ( Jason Taylor was the other) -- plans to stay mostly in South Florida for offseason work, but plans a brief Alaskan fishing trip with Csonka for Csonka's outdoor show.''I was impressed how quickly the ball came out of Beck's hands,'' said former Packers GM Ron Wolf, who watched the Dolphins' finale with friend Bill Parcells. ``He's got a very, very quick release and some mustard on the ball.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/404417.html

sceeto
02-07-2008, 02:23 AM
The new Dolphins regime, which sees potential in John Beck, wants him to develop his body (size, strength, etc.), and Beck hired a trainer to do that. Beck -- one of the first two players to meet with GM Jeff Ireland ( Jason Taylor was the other) -- plans to stay mostly in South Florida for offseason work, but plans a brief Alaskan fishing trip with Csonka for Csonka's outdoor show.''I was impressed how quickly the ball came out of Beck's hands,'' said former Packers GM Ron Wolf, who watched the Dolphins' finale with friend Bill Parcells. ``He's got a very, very quick release and some mustard on the ball.''

I totally agree with what BILL and Ron said. Lets hope he puts on a little bulk. Behind this oline he may need it.
I'm really pulling for him.

sceeto
02-07-2008, 02:28 AM
I was amazed how smart and composed he was for a rookie. He rarely threw that stupid pick when pressure was on him, he would either throw the ball away or take the sack which is really mature considering all the loser vets we had here who couldn't even do that. There is hope.

Fresh
02-07-2008, 02:38 AM
If we stay at #1, regardless, I think we're going to regret it.

Wolf13
02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
In all honesty, I could care less who our no. 1 pick is as long as whoever it is excells for us. It's time we get this thing turned around

as I've done with all of our past regimes, I put my trust in the new Dolphins "Family" to figure this mess out. If they deem Ryan/Brohm our QB of the future, then so be it, or if they're comfortable with Beck and grab a Henne/Flacco in round 2 to give Beck some young competition, then fine.

Looking ahead to future drafts there aren't any QB names that come to mind that I'd call "Franchise" QB's. Tebow comes to mind, but I don't know if he'd convert into a good drop back passer....

BlueFin
02-07-2008, 08:39 AM

If I'm Ryan I hope to God the Phins pass on me. I really hope we drum up enough interest to get someone to trade up for him.

Wow, your just the kind of positive Dolphin fan this team needs, any more doom and gloom you care to share?

MrTree
02-07-2008, 09:13 AM

I had not seen this quote by Ron Wolf before. This is significant. That's the first real information (and not conjecture) I have heard about what our FO thinks about Beck. I know Wolf isn't part of the organization, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he was in the booth with the Tuna in the Cincinnatti game to evaluate Beck. Wolf has a sterling track record with qbs and his word will carry weight in our organization.

NJFINSFAN1
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Good, let the smokescreen get thicker and maybe someone will want to trade up. Then we get more picks and more defense.

MrTree
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Good, let the smokescreen get thicker and maybe someone will want to trade up. Then we get more picks and more defense.

Yup.

Even if the Dolphins knew we weren't going to draft Ryan (And I have no way of saying whether we feel that way or not as an organization) we would have to play this game. We will be at all of his workouts. We will be front and center when he performs at the combines. We will fly him in for personal interviews. Ireland will at some point publicly state how great a kid Ryan is and that he is a wonderful leader, etc. etc. etc. blah, blah blah. Ryan is one of the picks that could give us trade value. So even if our front office had decided that we would not be drafting him we will devote a ton of energy at bringing him in and talking him up. We will be hearing about Ryan and the Dolphins right up to draft day.

Duriel
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I had not seen this quote by Ron Wolf before. This is significant. That's the first real information (and not conjecture) I have heard about what our FO thinks about Beck. I know Wolf isn't part of the organization, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he was in the booth with the Tuna in the Cincinnatti game to evaluate Beck. Wolf has a sterling track record with qbs and his word will carry weight in our organization.

I agree with your take. I like Beck and hope he is given a chance, but was worried he would be written off as a Cameron guy.

Wolf's comments make me a little more comfortable.

rev kev
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I would not put to much faith into John Beck starting next season for a couple of reasons.

1) Tuna did not draft him. It does not matter what round or how much he is paid.
2) He did not look even close to being ready last season. He will be something like 27 next season.

I am not saying he will be cut or anything like that. Just saying that he will have COMPETITION for the starting position. I think Matt Ryan is on the radar for the Big Tuna. After the Pro Day / Interviews / Combine...things will be much more clear.

I think Miami will do everything they can to either use the Draft/Trade/Free Agents to upgrade the position. The Phins have T. Green & John Beck... Matt Ryan is not out of the question. Then again neither is B. Brohm and the other rookies.

Miami is not going anywhere next season. It will take at least 2 full seasons to get the players needed. Sure John would not be to old to play at 29 or 30. But his age does come into play for the long term.

Competition should always be welcome on a 1-15 team

RealDriscoll
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Matt Ryan is going to be a good QB, there is no question in that. The guy is a winner with ice in his veins but we do have John Beck who deserves a chance. We can't keep running every Quarterback out of town without giving them a chance. We have been doing that for almost a decade and look at us now.

2413fanphins
02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
it's going to get ugly on here if we draft anybody.

if it's ryan the threads will be flooded with ryan haters.

if it's dorsey, the chris long crowd will come unglued and vice versa.

I think I just decided that whoever bill parcells and co. decide to take, I am going to happy looking forward. I am sure they know more than any of us on here.

Here's to the dolphins getting better in 08, regardless of who we take at #1.

(shotguns a beer)

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree particularly with the Roethlisberger comparison. Ryan has that very rare combination of intangibles which allow him to extend the play and make plays when the things break down. This is something you really don't see very often.

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I would support the drafting of Dorsey or Ryan. Long would bring me pause. Everyone else would make me pretty angry.

zach8111
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
how can he remind him of eli, river and rothlesberger. they all three dont even play like each other

MrTree
02-07-2008, 01:58 PM
how can he remind him of eli, river and rothlesberger. they all three dont even play like each other

:lol: I thought the same thing when I read this. In terms of playing style that's like saying McFadden reminds you of Jerome Bettis, Barry Sanders, and Walter Peyton.

BlueFin
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Of course, bear in mind we are only getting the parts of the eval Wolf was willing to share with the media and public, I'm quite sure we didn't get the entire eval.

I don't believe Parcells/Ireland have given up on Beck, but I also don't believe
they are sold on him either.

I will be somewhat surprised if we don't draft another QB in this draft at some point.

MrTree
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Of course, bear in mind we are only getting the parts of the eval Wolf was willing to share with the media and public, I'm quite sure we didn't get the entire eval.

I don't believe Parcells/Ireland have given up on Beck, but I also don't believe
they are sold on him either.

I will be somewhat surprised if we don't draft another QB in this draft at some point.

Yes, but it also represents a synopsis of Wolf's feelings which were positive. Couple that with Ireland's iteration the he had Beck rated highly in last year's draft and I think the kid will get a fair shake....which would mean no Ryan in round one. I think it is a lot more likely that we pick up a vet to compete with him than drafting another qb unless we feel someone falls and represents extreme value at some point in the draft.

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I think it is entirely possible that Miami would give Beck a fair shake to start this year AND draft Matt Ryan.

MrTree
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
San Diego did this with Rivers and Brees. Because of the Cap number Rivers took up Brees eventually had to go. Brees is still a pro bowl qb while Rivers is clearly a step behind at this point in his career.

Cleveland is already shopping Derrick Anderson even though Quinn has not outperformed him to date. It is possible that we could see a repeat of the Rivers/Brees scenario there as well.

If we draft a qb#1 then we are financially committed to him being the face of the franchise. Regardless of how Beck performs we could not take the cap hit from cutting Ryan. So by taking Ryan we essentially acknowledge that Beck will have to be shipped out at some point even IF he proved to be the better qb.

The financial ramifications pretty much dictate that drafting Ryan is giving up on Beck.

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
It guess it depends on what you see as giving up on a player. I view it as a situation where a team has no confidence in him becoming a starter and therefore gives him no opportunity to do so, thus labeling him a backup until his contract expires if not sooner. In essence, a situation where they have no chance of receiving compensation either through playing time or a trade.

Given that, considering that Beck will be able to play and therefore gain value while Ryan theoretically develops over the next year or so would not be giving up on him because he could in essence develop significant trade value in the interim. In essence, they would not be giving up on him in that they would still be giving him the opportunity to become valuable to the organization either through a trade or on the field.

MrTree
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
It guess it depends on what you see as giving up on a player. I view it as a situation where a team has no confidence in him becoming a starter and therefore gives him no opportunity to do so, thus labeling him a backup until his contract expires if not sooner. In essence, a situation where they have no chance of receiving compensation either through playing time or a trade.

Given that, considering that Beck will be able to play and therefore gain value while Ryan theoretically develops over the next year or so would not be giving up on him because he could in essence develop significant trade value in the interim. In essence, they would not be giving up on him in that they would still be giving him the opportunity to become valuable to the organization either through a trade or on the field.

The problem is that line of thinking makes the assumption that Ryan will be the better NFL qb. Prognostication of the QB position is a difficult beast. Ryan may be a great prospect, but Beck was also drafted to be a starter not a backup. He was evaluated as such as well. So let's say Beck turns into Drew Brees (who he HAS been compared to!) and Ryan turns into a Phillip Rivers level qb. We would be forced to ship the superior qb for an inferior one because of the cap. We may get value for him, but at that point we were forced to trade away the best player we had at the qb position. This could very well happen if we drafted Ryan!

Now Ryan could be the better qb and it would be a no brainer in a few years. But by picking Ryan we at least set up the possibility of making the same SNAFU that San Diego made. I think the Bolts would be much more dangerous if they still had Brees at the helm than they are now with Rivers.

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
The main problem here is that the Chargers made a significant error in logic by not getting something for Brees. That was unconscionable.

Now, beyond that, I am with you on the highly speculative nature of the quarterback position. That is why, if the draft were today, I would draft Glenn Dorsey in a heartbeat knowing full well that he would change the defense overnight.

That said, I can to some extent see the logic with the idea of making a move which for all intents and purposes appears to place us in a situation where we will most likely solve the quarterback issue once and for all. Lets be frank, Miami has tried the quick fix to the problem for years.

To make matters worse, I see the logic especially because I think Ryan is an outstanding quarterback prospect who possesses all the physical skill you need and the intangibles you rarely find.

MrTree
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
The main problem here is that the Chargers made a significant error in logic by not getting something for Brees. That was unconscionable.

Now, beyond that, I am with you on the highly speculative nature of the quarterback position. That is why, if the draft were today, I would draft Glenn Dorsey in a heartbeat knowing full well that he would change the defense overnight.

That said, I can to some extent see the logic with the idea of making a move which for all intents and purposes appears to place us in a situation where we will most likely solve the quarterback issue once and for all. Lets be frank, Miami has tried the quick fix to the problem for years.

To make matters worse, I see the logic especially because I think Ryan is an outstanding quarterback prospect who possesses all the physical skill you need and the intangibles you rarely find.

Well you will agree with my next thought. I think Dorsey is such a no brainer because of the issues I outline above. I think there are situations where the Ryan pick could really bite us in the arse. Dorsey is just a great pick that has little downside at a position of huge need.

QB is such a speculative position I can't ignore the downside of the spot we could place ourselves in. And if we did wind up in the hypothetical Rivers/Brees position I don't really see a silver lining in it even if we do get compensation. How do you compensate me enough to keep a comparatively inferior qb?

Ghetti13
02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I agree on Dorsey. The reality is that he is the best defensive tackle to enter the draft in well over a decade. He can anchor against the run and rush the passer. He is just so special and really represents very little if any bust potential. Personally, I don't see a situation where he is not the best at his position in three years or less.

Also, the speculative nature of the position is why I would be hesitant to pull the trigger with Dorsey starring me in the face. That said, I could theoretically justify it because I think highly of Matt Ryan.

As a somewhat unrelated note, this talk that their is no clear cut top prospect in this draft is simply media driven. Dorsey is as rare or rarer at his position as Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson were at there's. Considering how hard it is to find good interior linemen, its a pretty easy decision for me. Glenn Dorsey.

JT#1
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
ryan to me isn;t a top 10 pick, he doesn't wow me at all, he will be a top 10 pick because hes the top rated QB and teams will always reach for a QB even if they aren't worth it.

MAdolfan
02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I live in the area, and have seen almost all of Ryans games. I am not sold on him being a franchise QB. Look at his stats his two seasons as a starter 46 TDs, and 29 INT. 13 picks in his last seven games. That is not a franchise QB in my mind. Maybe i will be proven wrong, and i think the combine will show a lot too, but maybe we are using him as trade bait which would be great but i am not sold on ryan at all.

bert
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
we will draft defense-defense-defense.maybe a monster o lineman thrown in,or a sleeper tight end.thats it, no qb's at all.not even close.

I am Bane
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Boston College's Matt Ryan reminds me of the three quarterbacks who were taken at the top of the first round in the 2004 NFL draft -- Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. In four years, Manning and Roethlisberger already have won Super Bowls, and Rivers has reached the AFC Championship game. Ryan -- up to No. 3 on my Top 25 Big Board -- has a grade similar to that of Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger when they were drafted. That's just one reason why you hear Ryan's name associated with the Miami Dolphins, who own the No. 1 pick.

Unfortunately this article is on ESPN Insider so I cant access the rest
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3232293&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d3232293

i just checked out the rest of the article on insider.... it basically jsut listed little things on college palyers in order of his best out of college in order..... i like this little tidbit Kiper put-out:

5. Chris Long, DE, Virginia (6-4, 282) | Previous: 4
A 3-4 defensive end with great bloodlines who understands leverage and uses his hands as well as any D-lineman in the country

Casas9425
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
does anyone value kiper's opinion anymore? or do you guys think he's a clown? cuz he had beck rated as the 5th best qb last year. just asking

I am Bane
02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
i think he is annoying, and needs to do something more beyond colelge draft.... but he is involved year round with this.... gotta respect his thoughts some what, but i am not overly fond and relying jsut on him

Manning
02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
we will draft defense-defense-defense.maybe a monster o lineman thrown in,or a sleeper tight end.thats it, no qb's at all.not even close.
I absolutely agree, you have to be nuts to give up on Beck. He played in 5 games this year. His first @ Philly, bad weather & he didnt play bad, 2nd @ Pitt, do i have to remind anyone of those conditions? 3rd vs Jets (his only bad game) 4th @ Buffalo where he attempted 2 passes 1/2, & then vs Cincy where he played very well. Plus he had no line, no WR's, & no RB's. How can anyone expect the man to play well in his situation. Plus, Ireland liked the guy in last years draft. BECK WILL BE ARE MAN FOR YEARS @ QB

Digital
02-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Mel Kiper, I love him for turning the NFL Draft (and frankly every professional draft) into a media whirlwind. He was the first to make scouting reports publically available to us fans, and he turned the draft from a one-day football feast into an entire offseason long speculation smorgasborg. Heck, every team in the NFL is excited about the draft season! Even the Patriots who lost their #1 pick for cheating. It's the season of eternal hope, and because of Kiper, it's getting tons of press.

But sadly, he's an idiot, and his evaluations and opinions on players potential are truly worthless. He does his homework, but somehow he rarely knows the good ones from the pretenders.

In fact, about a month ago he had zero (0) QB's going in the first round and six (6) going in the 2nd round. How much louder can you scream that you're incapable of rating QB's? Now all of a sudden Ryan has vaulted from a 2nd round prospect to the top of the 1st? Yeah, Kiper's always good for a laugh, but you're probably just as good looking at our mocks on the net as you are trusting Kiper's ratings.

DOL-FAN92
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I just think that Jake Long will be another average LT/RT in the NFL. He was beaten pretty bad this past season. Some used force and some used speed. I do not watch a ton of his games. But when I did...I really did not notice him until he made a mistake. He did not have any great blocks downfield. He did his job plenty of plays. But seemed to be average for the most part.:foundout:

1. Miami Dolphins - Long, Jake, OT Michigan (http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_draft_prospect/Jake_Long/782)
The Tuna will carry the biggest stick when it comes to which players are acquired for the Dolphins. Since he basically invented the "Planet Theory" (There are only so many big, strong, athletic guys on the planet, so when you find one in the draft take him) I'm sure he won't mind taking an OT with the first overall pick. C. Long is a possibility, but Parcells has historically prefered bigger DE's in his 3-4 (usually college DT's), so we'll wait and see how C. Long does in his workouts to see if he weighs in closer to 300 lbs. That also opens the debate for G. Dorsey, but he isn't worth the 1st pick until he proves in workouts that he is the same player he was before last season's injury. Players will shift positions a lot in my draft between now and late April, but J. Long won't fall out of my top five. There isn't a player available this year who is in a league of his own, but I think J. Long is the best player available. I love the aggresive attitude he plays with with. When I watch him play he doesn't just prevent his guy from reaching whoever has the ball; he dominates him. He always holds his ground on pass D and pushes guys all over field on running plays. V. Carey has not been the answer since he was drafted in '04 and should be moved back to RT or OG. J. Long is the first step in righting this team's offensive mess.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com...inkston/501/1a

Jake Long Scouting Report

Position:OL (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/profiles.cfm?pos=OL) School & Year/Status:Michigan (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profiles_by_team.cfm?school=Michigan) - SeniorHeight & Weight:6'7 - 315 lbs.Ranked #4 on our Top 100 Prospects Board (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/top100.cfm)

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Jake Long of Michigan, despite a poor showing in the season finale against Ohio State, is without a doubt the top offensive lineman in this year's draft. Long is the centerpiece of an offensive line that has led Michigan to a 164.9 yard a game rushing average as a team. Besides being an absolutely mammoth tackle at 6'7" and 315 lbs., Long possesses elite speed and footwork for an offensive lineman. The Michigan O-line has allowed just 28 sacks under his leadership in 13 games this season, even though their quarterbacks are not exactly fleet of foot. According to ESPN, Long himself was only beaten for a sack once this season by Vernon Gholston of Ohio State. Jake Long is probably best known for his excellent pass blocking, but don't mistake Long for a finesse tackle. As good as people believe he is, his run blocking may still be underrated. He blocks with a real mean streak. Long does a terrific job of taking on (and running over) a D-lineman and moving into the next level to flatten a linebacker as well. Michigan is averaging 4.0 yards per carry this season and tends to find those tough yards behind Long on the left side. This 2 time All Big Ten performer is experienced on both the left and right side of the line, making a versatile option for an NFL team. Jake Long's years of experience blocking top notch Big Ten ends will serve him well in his professional career. Long should find himself a new home no later than the fifth pick of this year's draft.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1195

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Caption: Thou Shall Not Pass!

I believ Jake Long is the best,he is tall enough,strong enough,fat enough and talented enough to play EITHER side of the Tackle position

#1dolphinsfan
02-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I like the kid from SD i believe his name is Josh Johnson the kid had a great year and we could get him in later rounds he stats were 43 TDs and 1 INT 68.4% complition he looks like he is pretty good and is a little unknown i think the dolphins should look at him to back up beck for a While until beck gets hurt or if the Coach decides that he doesnt like the way beck plays he could come in and play i think this Josh Johnson is pretty good

I am Bane
02-08-2008, 01:33 AM
i dont like josh johnson all that much... i'd actually look at Denny Dixon before him.

MrEd
02-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I hope we continue to hear this kind of news about Matt Ryan over the next three months. The more he gets hyped up, the more other teams may actually believe we'll take him, then that No. 1 pick is tradable.

man, people are in denial. MIA "is" considering drafting Matt Ryan.

cnc66
02-08-2008, 11:40 PM
man, people are in denial. MIA "is" considering drafting Matt Ryan.

hahaha, not at number one they aren't Mr. Ed, he's just not that good..

Phins28
02-09-2008, 10:03 AM
By who?

The big fat tuna.

Dan2Duper
02-09-2008, 11:28 AM
QB is such a speculative position I can't ignore the downside of the spot we could place ourselves in. And if we did wind up in the hypothetical Rivers/Brees position I don't really see a silver lining in it even if we do get compensation. How do you compensate me enough to keep a comparatively inferior qb?

The silver lining is you dramatically increase you're odds of finding a franchise QB by not putting you're eggs in one basket. I think any of us would be happy to have phillip rivers as our QB right now. The falcons got some nice compensation for Schaub (an unproven early round backup). That being said our D-Line is to bad to ignore, I think we have to go Dorsey or what I really hope, trade down. At some point this franchise is going to have to use a first round pick on a QB and quit trying to get lucky.

finfan54
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM

He was beaten pretty badly? What color is the sky in your world?

I am Bane
02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
from what iwatched Long tended to be the only consistant bright spot on the Michigan offense (saying this cause Hart was hurt often)... i thought he dominated in games he needed too, cand playes well with the rest of the line-man. i like Long, and hope he has a long career whereve he goes.

2413fanphins
02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
from what iwatched Long tended to be the only consistant bright spot on the Michigan offense (saying this cause Hart was hurt often)... i thought he dominated in games he needed too, cand playes well with the rest of the line-man. i like Long, and hope he has a long career whereve he goes.

I agree with your assessment.

He is obviously better than average. How good remains to be seen.

good coaching and the sky is the limit.