PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Kerry Blames Tornados on Global Warming

finswin56
02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
“[I] don’t want to sort of leap into the larger meaning of, you know, inappropriately, but on the other hand, the weather service has told us we are going to have more and more intense storms,” Kerry said. “And insurance companies are beginning to look at this issue and understand this is related to the intensity of storms that is related to the warming of the earth. And so it goes to global warming and larger issues that we’re not paying attention to. The fact is the hurricanes are more intensive, the storms are more intensive and the rainfall is more intense at certain places at certain times and the weather patterns have changed.”

Kerry’s assertion tornado activity is related to any type of climate change is questionable based on the writings of at least one meteorologist. Roger Edwards, a meteorologist at the Storm Prediction Center of the National Weather Center in Norman, Okla., has doubts about any global warming and tornado relationship.http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080206170159.aspx

DolFan31
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I cant agree with Kerry on this. Tornados happen and it quite frequently in the Midwest. I believe in both natural global warming and man made global warming, but I dont think they lead to increase in tornado activity.

unluckyluciano
02-12-2008, 12:13 AM
The theory is and someone can correct me on this, is that a raise even minor in the global temperatures, would trigger intense weather and abnormal weather as well.

DolFan31
02-12-2008, 12:53 AM
The theory is and someone can correct me on this, is that a raise even minor in the global temperatures, would trigger intense weather and abnormal weather as well.

hurricanes I can see, because increase in air temperature=increase in sea temperature, which lead to stronger and more frequent hurricanes. Tornadoes, hmm, I guess maybe if warmer air begins to dominate more in winter time, causing tornadoes in areas that bounce between below freezing and mild during the winter months. Warmer air that battles with the seasonal cold I guess theoretically could cause more tornadoes, but I dont think the recent tornadoes had anything to do with global warming, because they occur during this time of year and hit in the tornado prone midwest/southeast region.

unluckyluciano
02-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Well more severe weather, I'm not sure if I put that, is what I am refering to.

DolFan31
02-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Well more severe weather, I'm not sure if I put that, is what I am refering to.

Gotcha.

ch19079
02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I heard this after Katrina and I guess it could apply to tornados too. But I dont think anyone really has an idea of just how much of an increase in tornado frequency or strength is attibuted to a small increase in global temp.

I think that IF global warming had any influence on tornados (or huricanes for that matter), it would be such a small amount, that we wouldnt even notice a diffrence.

To me its more likly that a politician, after hearing about damaging storms, jumped at the chance to be the one to connect the dots, as a means to gain support from voters.

cnc66
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
The reason for the statement is the recent, pretty rare, winter tornadoes. He is suggesting they may have occured because it is warmer and this is a side effect.

FINintheMOON
02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
The reason for the statement is the recent, pretty rare, winter tornadoes. He is suggesting they may have occured because it is warmer and this is a side effect.

And that argument has some valid elements to it... I have always been one that has argued against the Globe-warming being man-made... While I still support that argument, I do believe that mankind is accelerating the effect. Now if we make adjustments in our daily lifestyles and find a cleaner way to provide power to homes and transportation, we will decrease the speed of global warming... But there is NO WAY to stop the overall cycle that our planet is going through...

IT IS OUT OF OUR HANDS!!!

Dolphin39
02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
1. Global warming...:lol:

2. John Kerry...:lol:

3. Al Gore...:lol:

phinfan3411
02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
I honestly believe Global Warming is a bunch of bull, and truly despise the ground on which Al Gore walks.

How can he possibly explain the fact that the warmest year on record is 1934, and 4 of the top 10 are in the 30's?

http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/2007/08/1998_no_longer_the_hottest_yea.html

So, I guess we are warming, even though it was warmer 70 years ago?

The other thing I hate is the fact that my niece, and nephew were shown Gore's movie in school like it was a fact, they have no idea there is two sides to the story. My son, and daughter will be going to that same school someday, and if they are still showing that like there is no question to it, I am going to raise hell.

FINintheMOON
02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I honestly believe Global Warming is a bunch of bull, and truly despise the ground on which Al Gore walks.

How can he possibly explain the fact that the warmest year on record is 1934, and 4 of the top 10 are in the 30's?

http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/2007/08/1998_no_longer_the_hottest_yea.html

So, I guess we are warming, even though it was warmer 70 years ago?

The other thing I hate is the fact that my niece, and nephew were shown Gore's movie in school like it was a fact, they have no idea there is two sides to the story. My son, and daughter will be going to that same school someday, and if they are still showing that like there is no question to it, I am going to raise hell.

And this is what I argue against daily... Now with a little latitude here, I want to make a single statement. I know that we are not supposed to talk politics here, but I believe this is a safe statement...

Most of the press is liberal... They only provide what they want you to see and that's it... End of politics...

Too many times people are only tuned into what is being presented to them through the media... I would venture to say that most people will believe what is printed in black and white and not challenge that material.

However, if people REALLY want to understand what is happening to our planet, they MUST look at all evidence that support both sides... IF they did that, they would see that there is not much we can control on this planet other than the politics and arguments around the burning of fossil fuels...

Now while I support that argument and believe that we can find alternative fuel supplies, I am maddened by their approach in presenting it... It is scare tactics to say the least!

Global warming will continue regardless of what we do now... IT is a natural cycle for this planet and there is nothing we can do to stop it!!!