PDA

View Full Version : Could Goodell punish NE even more?

gunn34
02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I've been waiting for some of the people who post multiple threads a day to start this thread for a few days now but haven't seen it.

What do you guys think COULD happen to the patriots if there is UNDENIABLE PROOF that they...

1.) didn't turn over ALL the tapes and/or made copies before they turned them over.

2). cheated for more years then were originally thought.

3.) cheated as alleged prior to the Super Bowl they were heavy underdogs in and taped the Rams walk through.

I don't think it would be out of the question for the NFL to consider giving belecheck a lifetime ban if it is proven that they were cheating for years. I also could see as harsh a punishment as making NE forfeit the seasons if they have UNDENIABLE PROOF.

What do you guys think would be REALISTIC?

lbmclean_sj
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I think he is gonna do his best to keep this swept under the rug

cHaNgE
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
if they dont get their superbowls taken away, then i dont think punishing them is even worth the time.

gunn34
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM

I agree, but he may not have a choice if the guy who was doing the taping talks to the Senator also.

This would be too much egg on the face of Goodell for his first year. It would look like he has a favorite.

GEORGIA FIN
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
It would probabally be more fines and loss of draft picks like before, nothing major, the league loves the Patsies.

MichelleBelle31
02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
He probably wouldn't do a damn thing. And IF he did, it would be a tap (not even a slap) on the wrist.

gunn34
02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
He probably wouldn't do a damn thing. And IF he did, it would be a tap (not even a slap) on the wrist.

It seems like the NFL has a reputation as the league that doesn't have the problems of the other leagues.

i.e.
NBA = Refs selling games.
MLB = Performance enhancing drug allegations.

The NFL has been touting that it is THE premier league. The Commish would have to do something drastic to set the tone and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
It would be personal, since it would mean Bellicheat lied to Goodell. I don't think they take away any Super Bowl wins, but I do think Bill would be banned for a year, fined, and more picks taken from the Pats.

If guilty, I'd like to see New England lose their ENTIRE 08 draft. That would send a CLEAR message to the rest of the NFL. At worst though, I think they lose all first day picks (the 49er pick and the second rounder).

I think Kraft would be forced to fire Bill though, even after the suspension was served, and the taint on the Pats "dynasty" would last forever.

209Mason
02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree they probably wouldn't strip the superbowl titles, but realistically they could astricks them. I also agree with them loosing more picks.

PhinGeneral
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I've been waiting for some of the people who post multiple threads a day to start this thread for a few days now but haven't seen it.

What do you guys think COULD happen to the patriots if there is UNDENIABLE PROOF that they...

1.) didn't turn over ALL the tapes and/or made copies before they turned them over.

2). cheated for more years then were originally thought.

3.) cheated as alleged prior to the Super Bowl they were heavy underdogs in and taped the Rams walk through.

I don't think it would be out of the question for the NFL to consider giving belecheck a lifetime ban if it is proven that they were cheating for years. I also could see as harsh a punishment as making NE forfeit the seasons if they have UNDENIABLE PROOF.

What do you guys think would be REALISTIC?

I think you have 2 levels here that they must take into consideration- One is undeniable proof that they did 1, 2 & 3 on your list, but the other is undeniable proof that it actually effected the outcome of the game. Obviously you can draw conclusions that one lead to another, but I think you would need something conclusive in order to take the harsh step of forfeiting titles or banish Belichick from the NFL. I think if he did lie to the commissioner or attempted to get an edge by videotaping, then I'd expect a severe penalty. But they would really need some definitive proof for the second level before you'd see really harsh penalties, and that would be incredibly difficult IMO.

gofins
02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I think you have 2 levels here that they must take into consideration- One is undeniable proof that they did 1, 2 & 3 on your list, but the other is undeniable proof that it actually effected the outcome of the game. Obviously you can draw conclusions that one lead to another, but I think you would need something conclusive in order to take the harsh step of forfeiting titles or banish Belichick from the NFL. I think if he did lie to the commissioner or attempted to get an edge by videotaping, then I'd expect a severe penalty. But they would really need some definitive proof for the second level before you'd see really harsh penalties, and that would be incredibly difficult IMO.
I agree with you except that they need to prove that it affected the outcome of the game. Cheating is cheating whether the outcome is effected or not. I don't see taking away titles but suspensions and multiple draft picks would be what I want to see.

Dolfan32323
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I concur.

#1dolphinsfan
02-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I hope he takes there other first round draft pick

ch19079
02-08-2008, 01:49 AM
I hope he takes there other first round draft pick
They can always franchise and trade away Moss for another 1st rounder.
:shakeno:

Jets81
02-08-2008, 07:37 AM

Agree, but I can't wait to see what Oldman Specter can accomplish. I feel like the heat wouldn't be quite as bad if they'd won the game, or at least it would have been lost in the shuffle a bit. Now they're a wounded target, and everyone around them is out for blood. As sick as I am of hearing about it, it's tolerable when the news gets worse for the Pats.

satz
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Agree, but I can't wait to see what Oldman Specter can accomplish. I feel like the heat wouldn't be quite as bad if they'd won the game, or at least it would have been lost in the shuffle a bit. Now they're a wounded target, and everyone around them is out for blood. As sick as I am of hearing about it, it's tolerable when the news gets worse for the Pats.

Goodell said the league’s lawyers are in the process of granting legal indemnification to former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, which would allow him to speak freely of his years in New England without the threat of legal action

looks like he will act

btw what do you think specter going to do as soon NFL backs off from comcast and other cable TV to take NFL network he is going call it a win.At the end of the day he needs to keep his funder happy.if he does this think how much more $$$$ comcast and blackwell is going to contribute for his next reelection.

The Confessor
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Oh, I very much think he already has.

If in fact the congressional inquisition finds anything, Mr Goodell might end up being in as much hot-water as the Pats.
I think Good Ole Rog (Dont anybody forget that a large part of him becoming Commisioner was Robert Krafts personal endorsement) was doing what he thought was best for the league.

I think things ARE going to be uncovered, and it will be interesting to see what unravels..and who is left in the wake

The Confessor
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Goodell said the league’s lawyers are in the process of granting legal indemnification to former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, which would allow him to speak freely of his years in New England without the threat of legal action

looks like he will act

btw what do you think specter going to do as soon NFL backs off from comcast and other cable TV to take NFL network he is going call it a win.At the end of the day he needs to keep his funder happy.if he does this think how much more $$$$ comcast and blackwell is going to contribute for his next reelection.

I think the entire COMCAST situation is already irrelevent. Too many public eyes on the entire situation now.

Just think how many of Specter's supporters will not carry Comcast anymore for Black-balling Arlen:up:--Its a two way street

miami#1
02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
id like to see bill banned but i think it would be very hard to take there bowwl wins away

makes you wonder how often this is going on in the league in other teams

Spray Mucus
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
My question is why where the taps destroyed so fast if it was "no big deal"... if I was the Rams front office I would demand to see the films but since they where destroyed Goodell better give a damn good reason why and not some "oh it was nothing, don't worry about it" BS.

satz
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
My question is why where the taps destroyed so fast if it was "no big deal"... if I was the Rams front office I would demand to see the films but since they where destroyed Goodell better give a damn good reason why and not some "oh it was nothing, don't worry about it" BS.
IF a taping of rams walk through is founds its a proof of guilty. goddell said their were 6 days from 2006 season end and 2007 preseason. A 2002 tape points to 100% ban and a probabily a lose of a complete draft class minium.

MattM
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I, too, think Roger is doing his best to protect his mentor, Kraft, and Kraft's team as he did during Spygate I. What I'm hoping for is that there's enough public pressure on him due to Specter and the press now that the accusation has been made that Goodell has gone soft on the Pats*ies that he'll be forced into some semblance of a fair punishment, which, to my mind would be a lifetime ban for Belijerk (if he's caught having filmed the Rams' pre-game walkthrough I'm not sure how you can settle for anything less), and the loss of at least their picks in the first three rounds this year. I'd love to see them lose cap room, too, but no way would the union allow that. Still, it's not enough to boot BB, as a team cheating like this needs to face a penalty that hurts their competitiveness, otherwise, what's the point. Draft picks are the most likely way to do that IMHO.....

MelbournePhin
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
the clock is ticking. draft day is a little over 2 months away. lets see some action

Van Greco
02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I seriously think that if they do find more evidence that the patriots should not be the only ones punished. Goodell should be out on his *** also.

gunn34
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh, I very much think he already has.

If in fact the congressional inquisition finds anything, Mr Goodell might end up being in as much hot-water as the Pats.
I think Good Ole Rog (Dont anybody forget that a large part of him becoming Commisioner was Robert Krafts personal endorsement) was doing what he thought was best for the league.

I think things ARE going to be uncovered, and it will be interesting to see what unravels..and who is left in the wake

I didn't know that!

gunn34
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
I seriously think that if they do find more evidence that the patriots should not be the only ones punished. Goodell should be out on his *** also.

Agreed!!!!

satz
02-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Agreed!!!!
No way , how soon people forget it took a few yrs to find a candidate acceptable to all 32 owners and other investors. even though the process took a offseason the search took a few years.

no way he will fired for this ....no owner or investor is going to accept another 2-3 yr commisioner search .

Mike13
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
If there is incriminatiing evidence then Bellichick will have to be suspended for at least a year.

Goodell is a joke if he does nothing assuming these allegations are true.

shula_guy
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Unless someone secretly copied some tapes Does anyone really believe that any evidence that might of existed hasnt already been deystroyed? Who would be stupid enough to save incriminating evidence against themselves. I seriously doubt any damning evidence will be uncovered other then testimonies and circumstantial evidence. The investigation will either have to consider eye witnesses as crediable or let it go at this point. If they were serious about this they should of gotten a supenia and siezed all the pats files back in the begining of this season.

unluckyluciano
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I think BB gets forced to retire maybe they lose a couple more draft picks. That will be the end of it.