PDA

View Full Version : Mia love for Ryan is smoke screen

uga3406
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Todd McShay from espn was on the morning s'center saying how bad the falcons want him...In his moc draft he has the Phins taking Matt Ryan # 1 he says it would be the best decision they cna make..It got me to thinking that there love for Ryan is moy likely a smoke screen...Im not sure if any 1 knows this but the falcons have two 2nd rd draft picks, the other one is from houston...well why not just move back to there pick which will be either # 3,4 or 5...U can still get a greta player and possibly both there 2nd rd picks if not maybe just one of them and perhaps a 3rd too

Wolf13
02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd be all for that, and we could still concievably end up with either C. Long, J. Long,
Dorsey or Ellis...

ocop
02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I'd definitely take their 1st and 2 2nds to drop 2 spots. If we can cheat them out of the 3rd as well it would be fantastic.

Casas9425
02-10-2008, 08:38 PM
the dolphins have never said that they love ryan, mcshay is just assuming we will take him

DaytonaDolFan13
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
trade ATL the #1 then trade our #3 pick from them to dallas... pick up a ton of 1st-2nd rounders. :lol:

Probably a little too far fetched if Atl doesn't believe we're going to take Ryan @ #1, if they dont make a move. BUt would be sweett! :hi5:

2413fanphins
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't know. They may want matt ryan... they may want mcfadden even more though.

I can say I would take mcfadden everytime over either norwood or dunn.

They could use either of there two 2nd rounders on a qb, just as we could.

I don't see them trading up with us.

Quarterback is one of if not there biggest need, but I don't see them giving up potentially four picks, when they can fix there qb situation in the second with a number of guys that should be available.

I am Bane
02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I'd definitely take their 1st and 2 2nds to drop 2 spots. If we can cheat them out of the 3rd as well it would be fantastic.

this is one way i was thinking to trade down a bit, to still be able to get Chris Long and obtain some extra solid picks

X-Pacolypse
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
It's a smokescreen. Matt Ryan is not worth the number one overall pick. McShay is an idiot.

Conuficus
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't know. They may want matt ryan... they may want mcfadden even more though.

Quarterback is one of if not there biggest need, but I don't see them giving up potentially four picks, when they can fix there qb situation in the second with a number of guys that should be available.

I might contest that for two reasons (other than that can get one later, thats obvious):

1. Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Chris Redman........It is most definitely a big need. I honestly think that whatever other need you have that QB might tie it. There is no way they can go with those guys next year.

2. They need a "face". A guy to hang their hat on for marketing etc. The team is hurting and needs something. I think for the "WOW" factor in terms of publicity a QB wins over a RB every time. In terms of talent, thats another thing all together.

MrEd
02-10-2008, 11:26 PM

yes, but none of the QBs that will be available in the 2nd round can hold Matt Ryan's jock strap.

if ATL ends up at #4 or #5, its money in the bank that they will trade up for Ryan or Mcfadden. Let's pray that ATL ends up at #5, trade UP for "Macfadden" and we still come away with Matt Ryan at #5. Perfect scenario.

uga3406
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
yes, but none of the QBs that will be available in the 2nd round can hold Matt Ryan's jock strap.

if ATL ends up at #4 or #5, its money in the bank that they will trade up for Ryan or Mcfadden. Let's pray that ATL ends up at #5, trade UP for "Macfadden" and we still come away with Matt Ryan at #5. Perfect scenario.

thats what i have been trying 2 say....they need a Qb in the worse way...im sure they ryan

Pompy
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Why would Dolfan's spread that this is a smokescreen? Whoever say's it is not a Dolfan supporter. It may be true but I would never let it out of the bag to pound my chest. When I heard it too I thought the same thing but I wasn't going to be big mouth.

BlueFin
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
We all know there will be all kinds of smoke blown between now and the draft, its stupid to over react to any of it, its all part of the game.

Just trust in the fact that we have football brains running the show now that will make smart moves, no one really has anyway of knowing for sure what Parcells/Ireland are thinking and I'm glad thats the case.

I still think back to that Vernon Carey draft where everybody in the world knew what Wannstedt/Spielman were thinking, stupidity at its finest.

finfan54
02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
To assume smoke screen with Ryan is foolish. The biggest need on our team is QB. This is a no brainer. Obviously, they were dissapointed that Ryan did not show for the Senior bowl. The reason is that they like him and wanted to see him in competition with Flacco and others. Well, that didnt happen, but I have always contended that the guys we will covet most at #1 will be Jake Long, Chris Long, and Matt Ryan. All three of those guys would justify the money spent.

Jake Long is a LT- make no mistake about that.
Chris Long is a stud, make no mistake about that
Matt Ryan is a QB who could end up a franchise QB if he understands and reads defenses and can grow and develop into one. That means he will be worth the money. WE NEED A QB. smoke screen? I doubt it.

Vendigo
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense - it does - but if teams would always be thinking that way, the Giants, for instance, wouldn't have traded for Eli Manning either. They could have just sticked with Philip Rivers. Or they could have drafted Ben Roethlisberger.

The thing is: If they rate Matt Ryan high enough, it makes sense to trade up. I don't think that they will, but if they do, they should stay true to their board and get the guy they have rated higher than any other QB. That's how the draft works. If you think Ryan's the one true franchise guy in this draft, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pick someone else you don't think a franchise guy just to have picked a QB.

Ultimately, it all boils down to how high the Falcons rank Ryan and how afraid they are of someone else grabbing him before them. Personally, I don't see them ranking him high enough, but I thought that about Vince Young, too ...

emocomputerjock
02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Why would Dolfan's spread that this is a smokescreen? Whoever say's it is not a Dolfan supporter. It may be true but I would never let it out of the bag to pound my chest. When I heard it too I thought the same thing but I wasn't going to be big mouth.

I second this. When I read that Scott Pioli looks over the finheaven draft forums daily to tell what we're going to do, I knew we should all keep our mouths shut about future prospects.

X-Pacolypse
02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Matt Ryan sucks. Boo Matt Ryan, Hooray John Beck!

Vendigo
02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I second this. When I read that Scott Pioli looks over the finheaven draft forums daily to tell what we're going to do, I knew we should all keep our mouths shut about future prospects.

Got a call yesterday from Dimitroff. Wanted to know who we guys were going to draft. Told him Matt Ryan. Didn't seem happy. If the Falcons trade up now, I want season tickets for the rest of my life ... oh dang, phones ringing, I'll get back to you after telling Phil Savage there's absolutely no way we are giving up the first overall for Derek Anderson. Hang in there.

12MaN
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Add Deangelo Hall to that and call it a deal.

Spray Mucus
02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I think our best bet to trade with ATL is if they get the 4th or 5th pick... Right now they need plenty of talent, much like we do. If they get the 3rd pick over all, Ryan or DMC is bound to be there and I'm sure they would be happy with either one.

if they got the 4th or 5th pick it might not be assured one of those guys will be there.

Dolfan_Noles
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I keep saying that Hall is the best trade too. I'd happily drop down and still be able to grab a stud on the defensive line and then grab another good player at the end of the first round with our other pick.

I know he may not be a "Parcells guy" or fit the mold, but I'm just saying that I welcome him with open arms and think it would be a great trade.

RonnFin46
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM

not to bash you guys or anything because I know I don't post a lot but are you guys kidding? I hope that other coaches read this stuff and take what we say seriously because if they did that would be great because all of us on here, myself included, have no idea what we are talking about lol even though they dont look on here...and im sure bill parcells isnt really concerned about what is being said on a dolphin fan forum...i think we'll be okay

oasis
02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Hahaha, everyone's gonna use Matt Ryan as a smokescreen and he'll end up falling to #22.

Hmmm...

NorFlaFin
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Hahaha, everyone's gonna use Matt Ryan as a smokescreen and he'll end up falling to #22.

Hmmm...
Hey if Matt Ryan falls to 22 and Jake Long falls to 28.:)

dolfan121
02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Todd McShay from espn was on the morning s'center saying how bad the falcons want him...In his moc draft he has the Phins taking Matt Ryan # 1 he says it would be the best decision they cna make..It got me to thinking that there love for Ryan is moy likely a smoke screen...Im not sure if any 1 knows this but the falcons have two 2nd rd draft picks, the other one is from houston...well why not just move back to there pick which will be either # 3,4 or 5...U can still get a greta player and possibly both there 2nd rd picks if not maybe just one of them and perhaps a 3rd too
If it is a 3rd, then trade the 3rd to Dallas for their #22 and #28, then that would give us;

Round one: #22,#28
Round two: #32,#37,#48,#57
Round 3: #64

wow, 7 picks in the first 64!!!!! How about that!!!!

Roman529
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Let's do it. :hi5:

rev kev
02-12-2008, 12:05 AM

Oh my.... :rolleyes:

TexanPhinatic
02-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Atlanta is looking like our most likely trade down partner atm, helped by the fact that they have 2 #2s, an already high #1, and a severe need (QB).

Matt Ryan may not be the second coming of Peyton Manning, but if guys like David Carr, Tim Couch and Alex Smith can go #1, then so can Ryan. QB will inflate talent, it happens. Especially if there is a big gap between the perceptions of Ryan as compared to who might be around in the second round-Brennen or Flacco or someone. Is the talent gulf to much to pass up in Atlantas opinion? Possibly.

Frankly, if Im Miami and Atlanta offers their first second rounder and a 1st round swap its a done deal no question. At worst we end up with a Gholston or Jake Long. At best we still nab either Dorsey or Long. Obviously try and finable the other 2 or a lesser pick or an '09 spot, but this draft is not the one to be picky.
And Deangelo Hall is not going anywhere guys .... His beef was with Petrino who is now gone, rather than a teammate or something like that. His main aggravation is gone and wont be driving him to demand a trade. And secondly, Miami sucks as well, why would he want to come here with Petrino gone, its just not happening.

And Dallas? Thats a bit far to drop .....

sceeto
02-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Atlanta is looking like our most likely trade down partner atm, helped by the fact that they have 2 #2s, an already high #1, and a severe need (QB).

Matt Ryan may not be the second coming of Peyton Manning, but if guys like David Carr, Tim Couch and Alex Smith can go #1, then so can Ryan. QB will inflate talent, it happens. Especially if there is a big gap between the perceptions of Ryan as compared to who might be around in the second round-Brennen or Flacco or someone. Is the talent gulf to much to pass up in Atlantas opinion? Possibly.

Frankly, if Im Miami and Atlanta offers their first second rounder and a 1st round swap its a done deal no question. At worst we end up with a Gholston or Jake Long. At best we still nab either Dorsey or Long. Obviously try and finable the other 2 or a lesser pick or an '09 spot, but this draft is not the one to be picky.
And Deangelo Hall is not going anywhere guys .... His beef was with Petrino who is now gone, rather than a teammate or something like that. His main aggravation is gone and wont be driving him to demand a trade. And secondly, Miami sucks as well, why would he want to come here with Petrino gone, its just not happening.

And Dallas? Thats a bit far to drop .....
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I posted a while back that trading with Atlanta, because they might want Ryan, might be the only way of trading out besides Dallas. copycats! =) ...just kidding.

emocomputerjock
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
not to bash you guys or anything because I know I don't post a lot but are you guys kidding? I hope that other coaches read this stuff and take what we say seriously because if they did that would be great because all of us on here, myself included, have no idea what we are talking about lol even though they dont look on here...and im sure bill parcells isnt really concerned about what is being said on a dolphin fan forum...i think we'll be okay

I'm not sure about the original poster who's comment I replied to, but I was certainly kidding.

uga3406
02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
To me it looks like the phins will have two major players for the # 1 pick. Dallas and Atlanta,both teams hvae multiple picks in rounds. Dallas has the two 1st rounders and Atlanta has two 2nd rounders. The difference between them both would be that if you trade with Dallas your 1st pikc is 22 and if you tradw with Atlanta your 1st pick in anywhere from 3-5. This is a deep draft and you can find great talent at 22 but if you stay in the top 5 you still have that chance to grab Chris Long, Jake Long or even some one like Sedrick Ellis. The onlt thing left to consider will to see if Atlanta or Dallas offer more as far as a player or more picks maybe a 3rd rd oikc for '08 or maybe a 2nd rounder in '09, who knows. Both these options should be looked at. If it was me i take the Atlanta offer, could you imagine having 3 2nd rd picks possibly four if Atlanta included the 2nd rd pikc from houston heck i take a 3rd im not greedy

adamprez2003
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I seriously doubt a trade gets done. Its just about a universal feeling that the number one isnt worth trading up for. Go to Atlanta and Dallas fan sites and there is noone clamoring for a trade up with us. Just the reverse, they just about universally slam the idea. This would be a horrible PR move for any front office to do. Their fans would hate them for it. The Atlanta fans want Ryan or McFadden but Ryan only if he falls to them. Dallas fans in no way want to trade up to get McFadden

The only way it gets done is if some owner completely overrides his front office because no front office is going to do this trade. Hoping for insanity is a long long longshot at best

PhinsPhan122
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
The closer we get to the draft, the more it feels like we will either trade the pick or select Matt Ryan. I don't think Miami is faking all this interest in Ryan, it is genuine. Now, their choice would still be to trade down, but if we can't get that done, I really believe we will take him.

uga3406
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
The closer we get to the draft, the more it feels like we will either trade the pick or select Matt Ryan. I don't think Miami is faking all this interest in Ryan, it is genuine. Now, their choice would still be to trade down, but if we can't get that done, I really believe we will take him.

If Ryan is picked then so be it i could live with that my only questions now is what happens to Beck? 1st of all i dont care for Beck, im just asking what do you do with him. You not cutting him or trading him. Not sure u want two high priced young qbs together and im sure beck would want out knowing he is almost but all done here

PhinsPhan122
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
If Ryan is picked then so be it i could live with that my only questions now is what happens to Beck? 1st of all i dont care for Beck, im just asking what do you do with him. You not cutting him or trading him. Not sure u want two high priced young qbs together and im sure beck would want out knowing he is almost but all done here

I don't know what to do with Beck. I'm not suggesting this scenario, I'm just saying, I think this is what will happen. If it does, we will likely have a situation like San Diego did, when they dumped Brees even though he was good, because they had Rivers. I'm not sure of Beck's contract status, but we wold most likely have to trade him, if Ryan came in and succeeded.

DOLFANMIKE
02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Matt Ryan is a QB who could end up a franchise QB if he understands and reads defenses and can grow and develop into one. That means he will be worth the money. WE NEED A QB. smoke screen? I doubt it.

It's my hope that the Falcons and Ravens are thinking just like you are. That way they give us a nice deal to move up, and we get picks and Dorsey or Chris Long. Beck will be our QB this year IMO.

NorFlaFin
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM

QB have the resale value of a Honda, maybe Cam with the Raverns would trade a 2nd rd pick for his "QB".

MrTree
02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I seriously doubt a trade gets done. Its just about a universal feeling that the number one isnt worth trading up for. Go to Atlanta and Dallas fan sites and there is noone clamoring for a trade up with us. Just the reverse, they just about universally slam the idea. This would be a horrible PR move for any front office to do. Their fans would hate them for it. The Atlanta fans want Ryan or McFadden but Ryan only if he falls to them. Dallas fans in no way want to trade up to get McFadden

The only way it gets done is if some owner completely overrides his front office because no front office is going to do this trade. Hoping for insanity is a long long longshot at best

What he said. No one trades up to the #1 anymore. It's just not in vogue in the league. Trading the pick is pretty much a pipe dream. We will explore it, but I would give it less than a 10% chance of happening.

uga3406
02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
QB have the resale value of a Honda, maybe Cam with the Raverns would trade a 2nd rd pick for his "QB".

i doubt that r that dumb..plus why trade for beck when u can easily get ryan or brohm if u want with your 1st rd pick