PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Todd McShay projects Miami drafting Matt Ryan,if not than Jake Long

DOL-FAN92
02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
If you go to espn.com,and go to the little movie clips on the right side,click "NFL",and look for the clip titled,"Whos Stock Is Rising".At first,Todd said that Miami will try to trade out of the pick,which Im not opposed too.However,if Miami can't,he said Bill Parcells and Sparano will have to decide if John Beck is the Franchise QB.Todd went on to say he thinks Ryan is special,as I do,and that Ryan is a future Franchise QB.But he said if they do think Beck is the right man for the job,than Jake Long is the most likey pick,which Im not opposed too.Jake is a monster,6'7",315,proto-typical size,strength and technique.Todd thinks Jake can be an amazing LT in this league,and every QB need a great LT,and it seems like Jake can be that guy.IMO,every since Vernon was drafted,he hasn't been the answer at LT,and we dont really have a pure LT.I would love to have either Ryan or Jake.A lot of people are saying draft Long or Dorsey.Our defense doesn't need as much help as our offense does,Todd McShay said also....

RUDEbyallMEANS
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm very much warming up to the idea of drafting Jake Long. I was leaning towards an explosive defender, but a left tckle is soarely needed.

jim1
02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm very much warming up to the idea of drafting Jake Long. I was leaning towards an explosive defender, but a left tckle is soarely needed.

Exactly. JLOng makes perfect sense if he can in fact play LT at the pro level, and even at RT I'm ok with it. He's just a huge, athletic, damn good football player at a need position. He'll make Beck, Ginn, RB, RW better football players, and he'll likely be around 10-15 solid years.

dlockz
02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I do think Oline is the key to this teams success in the long run and we only have one good lienman at this point with a solid young center with some potential to be real good.

Regina Phin
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I can't believe anyone saying that we should be spending the #1 pick on offense... it just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyone that says that our defense is better off than our offense last year must not have been watching the same games that I was watching because I saw plenty of games where we went up by a score, they took the ball and drove down the field to score. It happened over and over and over again and it got to the point where I just *knew* we were going to lose if the defense had to take the field.

I could probably live with Jake Long and if they did take Ryan I would certainly support him (as I would any pick), but I really think that this pick needs to go to the defense.

3rd and long
02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Our O-Line played pretty well for the most part last year. To me it seemed to be the most consistent unit the Dolphins had. It would be nice to upgrade there, but not a pressing issue.

Dol-fan 92. If you think the needs on our O-line are more pressing than the needs on our Defense then you either didn't watch any Dolphin games this year, or don't have a clue.

LouPhinFan
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I was under the impression that Jake Long won't be a LT in the pros. I pretty sure he projects as a RT in this level. It would be an idiot move to draft a RT at #1. Especially when a game changing DT (Dorsey) or OLB (C. Long) are available.

shanem40
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
after watching Todd Mcshay over the last couple of years i relized hes terrible as is Mel kiper these guys guss on who anybody going to draft is no better then ours i hate when espn call them experts..........and Matt Ryan is bust waiting to happen he had 1 good years if you can call it that he turns the ball over wayyyyyyyy to much its that simple

Silverphin
02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
So basically, we're going to ignore the fact that our defense was dead last in run defense to take Matt Ryan over Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long. I'd much rather take Jake Long than Matt Ryan. Jake Long makes much more sense, and I wouldn't even take him number 1 overall.

Whitedolphin54
02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
OL depth is pretty deep if what I have read is correct. Would be better to get DL help with the#1 pick and invest in the OL with maybe one of the second rounders. JMHO.

Silverphin
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
OL depth is pretty deep if what I have read is correct. Would be better to get DL help with the#1 pick and invest in the OL with maybe one of the second rounders. JMHO.

I can definitely go with that,=.

#1 Fan
02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
i want dorsey or ellis. but i'd take jake long over chris long

Finfan53
02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
All season long....our defense could not get off the field on 3rd down....right down to the last game against the Bengals. I'd rather have a playmaker who fills a need.... Dorsey or Chris Long

JT#1
02-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I would take jake long before I would take mike ryan

MrEd
02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
So basically, we're going to ignore the fact that our defense was dead last in run defense to take Matt Ryan over Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long. I'd much rather take Jake Long than Matt Ryan. Jake Long makes much more sense, and I wouldn't even take him number 1 overall.

We're not ignoring anything. What you are ignoring is that our "defense" had zach thomas, channing crowder, yeremiah bell, renaldo hill, travis tillman, cameron worrell, andre goodman, travis daniels, vonnie holiday, and even jason taylor aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllll injured!!!! hello, mcfly?

X-Pacolypse
02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Matt Ryan sucks. I would be fine with drafting either one of the Long's. Preferably Jake, before Chris. McShay is an idiot.

Bigjbizzle2
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
all i have to say is last year when joe thomas and levi brown were still in the big ten who won lineman of the year..........JAKE LONG enough said

Oboy
02-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow. While I am about as big of a "draft oline" supporter on this site as you will find, J. Long is going to be a RT in the NFL. Sorry guys, to spend the #1 overall pick on a RT is ludicrous. Sorry, but either Chris Long or Dorsey are MUCH better picks (and that comment is JUST based on pure talent).

A much better plan would be to draft C.Long #1 and then HOPE and pray that someone like a Sam Baker be there at #32. IF not, then get a top corner (one SHOULD be available) and then look at the next pick for a good lineman. The key to drafting is not to reach (too far) for a player of need over a player of talent. We have MORE than enough holes on this team to find a equitable talent player at a position of need.

Geforce
02-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I was under the impression that Jake Long won't be a LT in the pros. I pretty sure he projects as a RT in this level. It would be an idiot move to draft a RT at #1. Especially when a game changing DT (Dorsey) or OLB (C. Long) are available.

Most people who were say Jake Long would be better suited at RT were probably saying this before the 2006 season. Jake was a converted DL who played RT his sophomore year. Long has only been playing LT for two years and has been great both years.
Long is also a great athlete and we can sure use a few of those on this team.

"I can remember in camp, running the Michigan mile and he's up front with the linebackers and running backs and wide receivers. He's a flat athlete," U-M defensive tackle Terrance Taylor said. "He's embarrassing (to the other linemen). On gassers, he's always the first lineman down and back. He's over 300 pounds, he weighs so much and is so big yet when we run the golf course he's in the top five finishing. He's beating Mike Hart and Mario Manningham, he beats these guys in the mile."

Long was arguably the strongest player on Michigan's team.

"When he did 47 reps at 225 (pounds) before the 2006 season," Kraus said, recalling the roar that leapt from the weight room that day. "Everybody got pretty pumped up. How often is that done? The record at the (NFL) combine is 45. That just shows you what he can do. I think he can if he gets his strength back up he can (break it)."

Geforce
02-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Wow. While I am about as big of a "draft oline" supporter on this site as you will find, J. Long is going to be a RT in the NFL. Sorry guys, to spend the #1 overall pick on a RT is ludicrous. Sorry, but either Chris Long or Dorsey are MUCH better picks (and that comment is JUST based on pure talent).
What are you basing this on?

SR 7
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
i said this over 2 months ago no one listened/believed me.

BTW i rather go with a LT via 32 pick ala Williams if hes still there then Jake Long.

cnc66
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

why ? Cary is just fine, and no matter where you put him, now that he has demonstrated he CAN play left tackle at a high level, he will get paid like it too. Jake would be a serious waste of value, and would burden our cap with two left tackle saleries.. one of them first pick money. I don't see it at all. Dorsey or CLong are the best options, imo, for us this year, assuming no trade down with the number one.

LouPhinFan
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
What are you basing this on?

Maybe one of the VIPers could get Boomer to come over and make a few remarks about Jake Long. I respect his anlysis.

I pretty sure most all the NFL scouts are projecting Jake Long at RT.

shanem40
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
all i have to say is last year when joe thomas and levi brown were still in the big ten who won lineman of the year..........JAKE LONG enough said and eric crouch won the heismen your point awards dont means anything

jim1
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM

A much better plan would be to draft C.Long #1 and then HOPE and pray that someone like a Sam Baker be there at #32. IF not, then get a top corner (one SHOULD be available) and then look at the next pick for a good lineman. The key to drafting is not to reach (too far) for a player of need over a player of talent. We have MORE than enough holes on this team to find a equitable talent player at a position of need.

I think that you are WAY too sure of yourself that JLong isn't a LT. Scott Wright from NFLDC and many others consider him a top notch LT prospect:

"3. Jake Long SR OT Michigan A left tackle who is not quite Joe Thomas but is better than Levi Brown"

Would I rather have Joe Thomas? Yes. I also think that you discount the possibility that we prenegotiate a #1 pick contract with him, something reasonable like Joe Thomas money. The dude is an athlete, give him his props and keep an open mind.

The best value would be #32 Chris Williams or Cherilius, but as I've said many times before, and even more so with Shelton/Alabi/Toledo gone, no reason to not double dip and get the butt kicking JLong at #1 and one of the OT's (someone is going to slide to #2) and the top of the 2nd. We can go D in rds 3,4,6, and 7 and also in FA. Lots of D players coming back from injury, too.

This is a GREAT year to load up at OT, rounds 1-4 guys like Cherilius, Otah, Williams, Nicks, Benedict, Baker. We should be able to get value in every round.

The OL is the heart and soul of the team, just ask the '72 Dolphins. It's time to load up and kick some butt next year- at LT or RT I would love to see JLong in a Fins uniform next year. Cherilius and Williams, too.

dolfan121
02-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Our O-Line played pretty well for the most part last year. To me it seemed to be the most consistent unit the Dolphins had. It would be nice to upgrade there, but not a pressing issue.

Dol-fan 92. If you think the needs on our O-line are more pressing than the needs on our Defense then you either didn't watch any Dolphin games this year, or don't have a clue.
and if you think we cant get a stop gap DT in the second round....you dont have a clue. Dorsey does not fit a 3-4 defense and we just released L.J Shelton which opens the door for Carey to move back to his natural position RT.

dolfan121
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I think that you are WAY too sure of yourself that JLong isn't a LT. Scott Wright from NFLDC and many others consider him a top notch LT prospect:

"3. Jake Long SR OT Michigan A left tackle who is not quite Joe Thomas but is better than Levi Brown"

Would I rather have Joe Thomas? Yes. I also think that you discount the possibility that we prenegotiate a #1 pick contract with him, something reasonable like Joe Thomas money. The dude is an athlete, give him his props and keep an open mind.

The best value would be #32 Chris Williams or Cherilius, but as I've said many times before, and even more so with Shelton/Alabi/Toledo gone, no reason to not double dip and get the butt kicking JLong at #1 and one of the OT's (someone is going to slide to #2) and the top of the 2nd. We can go D in rds 3,4,6, and 7 and also in FA. Lots of D players coming back from injury, too.

This is a GREAT year to load up at OT, rounds 1-4 guys like Cherilius, Otah, Williams, Nicks, Benedict, Baker. We should be able to get value in every round.

The OL is the heart and soul of the team, just ask the '72 Dolphins. It's time to load up and kick some butt next year- at LT or RT I would love to see JLong in a Fins uniform next year. Cherilius and Williams, too.
I agree we need OL but if we were to draft J. Long, there is no reason not to move V. Carey back to RT where he excelled in '06!!! To pick OL then OL, unless we go LT, then G, I would not be too mad, but not another tackle, unless it is DT!

jim1
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I can't believe anyone saying that we should be spending the #1 pick on offense... it just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyone that says that our defense is better off than our offense last year must not have been watching the same games that I was watching because I saw plenty of games where we went up by a score, they took the ball and drove down the field to score. It happened over and over and over again and it got to the point where I just *knew* we were going to lose if the defense had to take the field.

I could probably live with Jake Long and if they did take Ryan I would certainly support him (as I would any pick), but I really think that this pick needs to go to the defense.

When you have Cameron Worrell starting at safety for your team, you're done. Too many injuries, but now we have Hill, Goodman, Bell, Abe Wright coming back plus FA and this draft. Cameron and Mueller blew it when they got rid of Fred Evans, that hurt with M Wright and Zgonina having already been shown the door.

The OL is the heart and soul of the team- just ask the '72 Dolphins. Get RB and RW a destroying blocker and Beck a bodyguard and maybe we're in busines.

#1 JLong
#2 Cherilius/Chris Williams
#2b Chad Henne
Rest of the picks on D or maybe one WR (Marcus Monk later/Manningham earlier, also a TE) and that's fine with me.

Hopefully we can get a true NT in FA (the guy from the 49'ers?) and some other help, but for God's sake let's fix the OL. Jake Long is just the kind of guy that you want on your team- I would bet that Parcells, Ireland and Sparano feel the same way. He's going to knock the crap out of some people in the NFL.

#1dolphinsfan
02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I dont want Matt Ryan or Jake Long, I want Chris Long or Glenn dorsey or Trade Down

jim1
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I agree we need OL but if we were to draft J. Long, there is no reason not to move V. Carey back to RT where he excelled in '06!!! To pick OL then OL, unless we go LT, then G, I would not be too mad, but not another tackle, unless it is DT!

I think that where to put Carey is a huge piece of the puzzle. Is he a good LT and a great RT? What do you do if you draft Cherilius/Williams/Otah/Baker/Collins/Nicks/Benedict? Williams and Baker go to LT and Carey slides to RT? Or Carey stays at LT and Cherilius at RT?

Maybe Williams at LT/drafted at #32 if available and Carey at RT makes the most sense. Sometimes when I go through these scenarios I end up with JLong and Cherilius at T and Carey at Guard, but that does seem like kind of a waste, and I can already sense the ridicule coming. Hadnot/Mormino/Esera at Guard, we could use another. Is it possible that Carey's best position is in fact Guard? Then left to right JLong/Mormino/Satele/Carey/Cherilius and you are freaking set for the next decade.

Maybe Hadnot instead of Mormino, not sure, but Mormino is good, intense, and he's had a year to get stronger and put on some weight. Time for Hadnot to bring it on.

2413fanphins
02-11-2008, 09:23 PM
seems to me that parcells might be leaning towards jake long now.

saying goodbye to shelton tells me carey is on the move back to RT, and parcells loves his mammoth OL, and jake long fits the bill. I can't see how our oline gets worse by drafting jake long.

To me it's either dorsey or jake long now.

I have said on a few different threads why I don't think it will be c long, so I won't get into that again.

jim1
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
seems to me that parcells might be leaning towards jake long now.

saying goodbye to shelton tells me carey is on the move back to RT, and parcells loves his mammoth OL, and jake long fits the bill. I can't see how our oline gets worse by drafting jake long.

To me it's either dorsey or jake long now.

I have said on a few different threads why I don't think it will be c long, so I won't get into that again.

Both Longs and Dorsey are the kind of guys that you go to war with. I've seen very little of Chris Long, just a few clips, but you can sense the talent. Bill parcells is a Planet Theory kind of guy, and JLong is textbook Planet Theory, plus at a need position. What's not to like? All this talk about JLong not a LT- I just don't buy it. No one seems to have a problem with him going to the Rams at #2 or the Chiefs at #5, but God forbid that he goes #1 to the Fins. I'm not buying it, get that athletic monster in a Fins uniform.

SR 7
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Both Longs and Dorsey are the kind of guys that you go to war with. I've seen very little of Chris Long, just a few clips, but you can sense the talent. Bill parcells is a Planet Theory kind of guy, and JLong is textbook Planet Theory, plus at a need position. What's not to like? All this talk about JLong not a LT- I just don't buy it. No one seems to have a problem with him going to the Rams at #2 or the Chiefs at #5, but God forbid that he goes #1 to the Fins. I'm not buying it, get that athletic monster in a Fins uniform.

exactly im sick of hearing he isnt a LT. I konw hes the BEST run blocker in the game at his level but i hope hes a very good PASS blocker as well.

jim1
02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
exactly im sick of hearing he isnt a LT. I konw hes the BEST run blocker in the game at his level but i hope hes a very good PASS blocker as well.

He is a very good pass blocker. If he's a shade below Joe Thomas in pass pro and a better run blocker, I can live with that. We NEED offensive tackles. The good news is that we're almost guaranteed quality in rounds 1-2 and there's more quality to be had in rds 3-4 a la Nicks and Benedict.

I keep banging the drum and pimping out JLong because it just makes too much sense to me- the trash was taken out today, and now it's time to reap this great crop of OL talent. Jake Long is an athletic freaking beast, and a high motor, high character guy to boot. He beats the crap out of people and he has great feet- not D'Brick feet or Joe Thomas feet, but pretty damned good. Can't play LT my ***.

DOL-FAN92
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I perfer Jake,cause he can

Mr772
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I dont want Matt Ryan or Jake Long, I want Chris Long or Glenn dorsey or Trade Down

I'm in your boat. I think Chris Long or Glen Dorsey have higher value than Matt Ryan or Jake Long. Granted all 4 may be great players, but IMO Chris Long and Glen Dorsey are the cream of the crop.

DOL-FAN92
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Our Offensive Line only looked good because of Ronnie(Brown).Guys,our line is horrible,sure,not everydody is worthless(Corey Lekkerkerker,Chris Liweinski and Ben Rosenthal),such as Samson Satele and Vernon Carey...thats about it....Thank god L.J. Shelton is gone,what a bust of a 1st round pick,good thing we didnt draft him,or we'll have to add him to the "Wasted Picks Pile".But in reality,we need some help on the O-Line.Vernon is a good blocker,for running,LT is a tackle position that requires pass blocking.The two years Jake Long played on the Left Side of the line,he only let few through.In fact,the only person that penatraded against Long was Ohio State's Vernon Gholston(TOP 10 pick this year).Long is strong,he lifted 46 reps. of 225 lbs.,if he lifts over 45 reps. he will break the combine record.Jake Lone is 6'7",315,and had proto-typical size and strength and awareness for LT,not too mention quickness.Jake Long will be great LT in this league,if he wouldn't,i doubt McShay would consider Jake to be the next best pick other than Matt Ryan.Our offense is obviously the most needed side of the ball,even though we are at the bottom of every category on defense except passing yards,we're 4th in the League.Guys,we averaged 16.3 points per game.....thats HORRIBLE....we couldn't even get a passing play off half the time,and our running game was average after Brown went down.Oh yea,if you think our offense line was good last year,think again,it was Ronnie Brown making the line look good.We we're in the TOP 15 in sacks allowed.Offensive Line is the most needed position,i mean think about it,Peyton Manning has Tony Ugoh...never gets touched,Tom Brady has Matt Light......never gets touched,Carson Palmer had that Jones guy....never gets touched(at least not on his side...lol).We need the next best LT,and Todd thnks thats Jake Long,and we need him more than Chis Long,Shawn Crable(OLB/DE 6'5",242 runs a 4.6) si the same thing as Chris,AND he is faster,just not as big,but Shawn is strong too,look at a picture of him,RIPPED.Anyways,Jake Long is the msot logical pick here,our offensive line is going to suck this year as it did for many unless we build on Vernon and Satele,and we have our line set for the next 10-15 years.

Link to Todd McShay saying Jake is the next best pick other than Ryan.....
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3239469&n8pe6c=2

Silverphin
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
We're not ignoring anything. What you are ignoring is that our "defense" had zach thomas, channing crowder, yeremiah bell, renaldo hill, travis tillman, cameron worrell, andre goodman, travis daniels, vonnie holiday, and even jason taylor aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllll injured!!!! hello, mcfly?

What does the defensive backs have to do with the fact that three of our front four, who were healthy couldn't stop the run?

texasPHINSfan
02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I say no to Ryan or Jake Long.

There is a dearth of quality OL talent later in the draft, and at a lot less-expensive price. Of the top 4 guys in the draft, Jake Long would probably be at the bottom of that list. While OL is a need of ours, so is DL and LB, and with Chris Long and Dorsey there, you'd have to think we'd go with those safer picks at just as much of a need position.

jim1
02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
I say no to Ryan or Jake Long.

There is a dearth of quality OL talent later in the draft, and at a lot less-expensive price. Of the top 4 guys in the draft, Jake Long would probably be at the bottom of that list. While OL is a need of ours, so is DL and LB, and with Chris Long and Dorsey there, you'd have to think we'd go with those safer picks at just as much of a need position.

dearth n 1: a severe shortage (especially a shortage of food) [syn: famine (http://dictionary.die.net/famine), shortage (http://dictionary.die.net/shortage)] 2: an insufficient quantity or number [syn: paucity (http://dictionary.die.net/paucity)]
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Dearth \Dearth\, n. [OE. derthe, fr. dere. See Dear (http://dictionary.die.net/dear).] Scarcity which renders dear; want; lack; specifically, lack of food on account of failure of crops; famine.

http://dictionary.die.net/dearth

Finole
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
If we go with a 3-4 defensive alignment, then DE is not a huge need. Vonnie Holliday and Rod Wright are more than capable of starting. NT is the primary concern. That would make Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis a possibility except neither is prototypical NT, and the #1 overall pick is rarely, if ever, used on a NT.

With JT and Joey Porter on the roster, OLB is not a huge need either. So Chris Long doesn't fill a huge need, even if he lines up at DE.

With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams on the roster, McFadden doesn't fill a huge need. And Mike Mayock just slammed McFadden on Monday by not even listing him in his Top 20.

If you believe John Beck is the man, then Matt Ryan doesn't fill a huge need, either.

With LJ Shelton gone, we definitely need a RT. If you move Carey back to right side then Jake Long definitely fills a need.

Now who is the BPA? Truthfully, I couldn't tell you. I think I'm in the minority because I prefer Ellis to Dorsey because of the injury issue. But Chris Long could be better than both of them. Maybe. And then how do you compare an OT to a RB? You could have Jake Long line up opposite of Chris Long and see who wins the battle more often. And then, of course, there's the unwritten rule that you never pass up a franchise QB.

It's really a crapshoot when you try to consider the BPA. But strictly from a needs perpective, Jake Long wins. Followed by Matt Ryan (John Beck hasn't shown much so far). And then Chris Long (JT ain't getting any younger).

jim1
02-12-2008, 08:49 PM
If we go with a 3-4 defensive alignment, then DE is not a huge need. Vonnie Holliday and Rod Wright are more than capable of starting. NT is the primary concern. That would make Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis a possibility except neither is prototypical NT, and the #1 overall pick is rarely, if ever, used on a NT.

With JT and Joey Porter on the roster, OLB is not a huge need either. So Chris Long doesn't fill a huge need, even if he lines up at DE.

With Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams on the roster, McFadden doesn't fill a huge need. And Mike Mayock just slammed McFadden on Monday by not even listing him in his Top 20.

If you believe John Beck is the man, then Matt Ryan doesn't fill a huge need, either.

With LJ Shelton gone, we definitely need a RT. If you move Carey back to right side then Jake Long definitely fills a need.

Now who is the BPA? Truthfully, I couldn't tell you. I think I'm in the minority because I prefer Ellis to Dorsey because of the injury issue. But Chris Long could be better than both of them. Maybe. And then how do you compare an OT to a RB? You could have Jake Long line up opposite of Chris Long and see who wins the battle more often. And then, of course, there's the unwritten rule that you never pass up a franchise QB.

It's really a crapshoot when you try to consider the BPA. But strictly from a needs perpective, Jake Long wins. Followed by Matt Ryan (John Beck hasn't shown much so far). And then Chris Long (JT ain't getting any younger).

Great post.

Phinfan31
02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I would be happy with any of the following - Matt Ryan, Jake Long, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, DMac, ..hell even Ryan Clady (I like in Boise)

For those of you that have been screaming DEF ever since midway through the season...look at what our DEF did in 2005 and 2006. Did our D really CHANGE that MUCH personnel wise? Nope. We lost Nick Saban (the master behind the scheme) and Dom Capers took over.

I contribute 50% of the blame to Capers. The guy had NO CLUE how to put the players in positions to make plays.
I put about 20% of the blame on the D-Line (We lost Kevin Carter and David Bowens) 2 KEY ingredients in that system - we lost the ability to swap guys in and out.
The other 30% is on injuries (Bell, Zach, Daniels, Allen) the injuries seemed never ending.

Does this mean we need to REVAMP the entire thing!? Hell no. Some of you think every single position is a need...we are old but we can put the pieces in place before these guys retire. We need to concentrate on who will have the MOST longterm value and if they're offense...then im all for it. Were a few puzzle pieces away from having our O set for a decade.

rev kev
02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I would be happy with any of the following - Matt Ryan, Jake Long, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, DMac, ..hell even Ryan Clady (I like in Boise)

For those of you that have been screaming DEF ever since midway through the season...look at what our DEF did in 2005 and 2006. Did our D really CHANGE that MUCH personnel wise? Nope. We lost Nick Saban (the master behind the scheme) and Dom Capers took over.

I contribute 50% of the blame to Capers. The guy had NO CLUE how to put the players in positions to make plays.
I put about 20% of the blame on the D-Line (We lost Kevin Carter and David Bowens) 2 KEY ingredients in that system - we lost the ability to swap guys in and out.
The other 30% is on injuries (Bell, Zach, Daniels, Allen) the injuries seemed never ending.

Does this mean we need to REVAMP the entire thing!? Hell no. Some of you think every single position is a need...we are old but we can put the pieces in place before these guys retire. We need to concentrate on who will have the MOST longterm value and if they're offense...then im all for it. Were a few puzzle pieces away from having our O set for a decade.

So agreed man...

alen1
02-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I try to ignore McShay's and Kiper's opinions, I like Mayock. Mayock I believe predicted some order of draft picks last year and got them correct. I think hes the most reliable Draft Evaluator and I think hes the best. Just my opinion.