PDA

View Full Version : Cap Number

FINishedPerfect
02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
With todays cut how much does it free us up with the salary cap???And does any of them count against the cap???

KippyIA1354
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
GREAT QUESTION!!!! I want to know too!:rolleyes2:

dominizzo
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
im hearing 46 million

miami234ever
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
im hearing 46 million

That would be crazy. The things we could do with 46 million are undescribable.

Sean
02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah I'm hearing anywhere from around 46,46.5,47. Prolly 46. But I think Parcells is up to something. I think he's on the phone.

FinHopeful
02-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Adding the cap charges of release of the released players ($13.92 million) to the anticipated $35.56 million is approx. $49.5 million.

X-Pacolypse
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Possibly $49.5 million under the cap? Holy crap. That's a lot of money to be signing lots of draft picks! That's one thing the Miami Dolphins to be in the business of. The business of aquring lots and lots of draft picks! What can I say, I'm greedy when it comes to draft picks!

Sean
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Holy Crap Close To 50m? Do You Relize How Much We Can Get??? :)

Phinsfan210
02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
wow that is a lot of spending money.

finfan54
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Alan Faneca, here he comes!

Sean
02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I think Flozell Adams/ Ken Halmin will b e our 1st FA sign, but signs point to say Flozell wants to play for Miami a lot.

miami234ever
02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I think Flozell Adams/ Ken Halmin will b e our 1st FA sign, but signs point to say Flozell wants to play for Miami a lot.

Where do you see that?

Sean
02-11-2008, 06:52 PM
All signs point to it, he said he wants to play for Sparano.

Barber and Hamlin aren't the only key free agents the Cowboys have to focus on re-signing -- offensive tackle Flozell Adams (http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/12175) and DE Chris Canty (http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/407848) are also in the financial crosshairs. Adams will be 33 heading into next season, so committing big dollars to him might not be in the Cowboys' best interests. Moreover, Adams would likely be lured to follow former Cowboys O-line coach Tony Sparano to Miami if the Dolphins aren't going to use their top draft pick on an offensive linemen. Hamlin will also be pursued by several clubs; Barber will likely re-sign for the high tender, over $2 million.
http://sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/10578767

phinfan33
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
well,close to 50 million is alot of money to use on FA and draft picks. i hope we get the best players possible and whoever we get in FA,i hope they're good and still have plenty of mileage left on their tires.

dominizzo
02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
WOOW!!!! I cant wait to see what parcells does!!! We will be signing Flozell and Ken HAmmer guaranteed!!! After that I do not know

miami234ever
02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
All signs point to it, he said he wants to play for Sparano.

Barber and Hamlin aren't the only key free agents the Cowboys have to focus on re-signing -- offensive tackle Flozell Adams (http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/12175) and DE Chris Canty (http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/407848) are also in the financial crosshairs. Adams will be 33 heading into next season, so committing big dollars to him might not be in the Cowboys' best interests. Moreover, Adams would likely be lured to follow former Cowboys O-line coach Tony Sparano to Miami if the Dolphins aren't going to use their top draft pick on an offensive linemen. Hamlin will also be pursued by several clubs; Barber will likely re-sign for the high tender, over $2 million.
http://sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/10578767

Thanks man. I never saw that article before. I still don't know if I want to sign a 33 year old offensive lineman though. O well it's in Parcells/Irelands/Sparanos hands at this point.

phinfan33
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
i know that we really need veteran leadership on this team,i know that,but....do you guys really wanna bring in veterans who're over 30 and even knocking on 35,or,do y'all want to bring in youth on our team if we're rebuilding as it appears that we are?

Sean
02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks man. I never saw that article before. I still don't know if I want to sign a 33 year old offensive lineman though. O well it's in Parcells/Irelands/Sparanos hands at this point.
No problem. But it's basically trading Shelton for Adams, don't you think that's great? ;)

pennPhinFan
02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
what concerns me about being 50 million under the cap, is that the first guy we go after in FA is going to demand to be way overcompensated, knowing we have the money to do so. having the extra cash to spend could force our hand into overpaying for some big name FAs

zephon
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
i think faneca isn't the guy we'll be getting. Wahle was released today and played under Henning in Carolina. I think he'll be a guy we're higher on than Faneca and Adams. Also look for a under the radar type signing of Mo Williams previously of Jacksonville since he played for our new oline coach. I think that hadnot will not only price himself out of our range for RG, I also think we'll draft or pick up some undrafted FAs to try for that spot. Of course, that could also be the case for LG is they decided against Wahle (which my usually wrong gut says they will sign).

Personally, I'm not for a Hamlin signing. I live in Texas and thoughts around here are that Dallas will likely re-sign him and then put Roy Williams up for trade. Reason being. Both those guys are actually strong safeties and truly stuggle in coverage. Albeit, Hamlin not as much as Williams. I also believe that if Dallas keeps both(as I expect) hamlin is the long term player for them with Roy's contract being up after next year (I believe).

Those who know me know how I feel about the safety pos. and the scrutiny i put on it. I simply hope that we don't sign Hamlin (who had legal troubles in the past).

ps. I just saw my post, I REALLY need to start posting again and get my sig. changed. I still have friggin' Randy McMike on there :)

Paul 13
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
okay, the 46 to 50 mill figure is way overstated guys... an earlier post quoted 13.92 mill as cap charges had we paid these players for the 2008 season. It doesn't take into account that when you release a player you pay with a cap hit in the year of release (2008). That cap hit generally equals the amount of prorated signing bonus not yet "charged." So if Joe Schmo signs a 5 year 20 million dollar deal including a 5 million dollar signing bonus with base salaries of 3 million each season, the cap hit upon releasing said player after 2 years would be the 3 million in unamortized signing bonus (which was being charged off at one mill per year, that's five mill divided by 5 years). Joe's cap charge for year 3 had he NOT been released would have been 4 million, so in the end we're only saving ONE MILLION by releasing him not FOUR. So again, we're not taking into account any bonuses that were paid to these players that still hadn't been amortized against the cap when we quote a 13.92 mill cap figure... Now, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am... I'm pretty sure that 13.92 is too high...

newlife2788
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
can't wait to see wants going on! 46 to 50M I love it.

Geforce
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Not according to this article.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7730-NFL-Dallas_Cowboys-Cowboys_News_Pro_Bowl_Tackle_Flozell_Adams_Wants_to_Stay

Cowboys offensive left tackle Flozell Adams would like to stay in Dallas, according to his agent, Roosevelt Barnes.
"I wouldn't rule anything out, but he definitely wants to stay," Barnes told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Commentary: Adams will play at least one more game wearing a Dallas helmet, representing the NFC in the 2008 Pro Bowl. Right after, he'll become an unrestricted free agent.
Left tackles are so valuable in the NFL, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has always paid his line well. Expect Dallas to make a good multiyear offer.