PDA

View Full Version : A MORAL Victory for the Patriots?

Deof Movestofca
02-12-2008, 02:58 PM
When character counts, Patriots still the best (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080210/OPINION/802100324/1002/TOWN01)

Thanks to the example set by their coach, Bill Belichick, I have never heard any of them denigrate an opposing team nor the chances for their success. They have approached every game with humility and respect for the other teams. Due to their talent and some luck, they played without a loss in the regular season, bringing them to the Super Bowl.I guess it was their record and their outlook that made them not only the envy of many but also the target for vindictive comments meant to create a hostile atmosphere for the big game. So, when their appearance in the Super Bowl was near, the media had to insert some degree of controversy. They went to great lengths to create a Patriots "swagger" when they could not find it in the team nor its coaches.Is there anyone besides me that's not buying this?

PyroDOLFAN
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
They couldn't find anything huh? I guess the whole spygate incident never happened and Bill somehow turned into a nice guy after being a jerk for so long. That does sound stupid doesn't it. So I guess I must go with you and say I'm not buying it :)

brandon27
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
However, their immediate reply after the game was one in which they gave the credit for the win to the Giants and their performance of the day. They made no excuses but took the stinging defeat with pride in their overall season record and compliments to the team that had just crushed their dream season.

are you kidding me?!?!?!? after the game i sure didn't hear bellichick give the giants any credit at all! he didnt say congrats to them for winning and playing a great game, nothing at all!!!

took the defeat with pride??? how so? their coach walked off the field before the game was over!!

what a pathetic piece of writing this was... im sure this guy still goes to bed every night and wraps himself in his new england patriots blanket and cries his eyes out. what a joke..

t-dubya
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
"We're only gonna score 17 points, huh? Is Plex gonna be playing defense?"
Most humble and respectful statement of the century...

TomBradyWoot
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
are you kidding me?!?!?!? after the game i sure didn't hear bellichick give the giants any credit at all! he didnt say congrats to them for winning and playing a great game, nothing at all!!!

took the defeat with pride??? how so? their coach walked off the field before the game was over!!

what a pathetic piece of writing this was... im sure this guy still goes to bed every night and wraps himself in his new england patriots blanket and cries his eyes out. what a joke..

You guys are a joke sometimes. The Patriots ALWAYS give the opponent the most respect and all the credit in the world. Brady said only 17? What was he going to say "17? WELL I WAS THINKING 7 OR 3 BUT 17?? ALL HAIL 17!" You guys act like Tom went out said it all pissed off and then insulted Plaxico's mother. It's one thing to root for your Dolphins and hate a division rival but its another to make up things. Also Belichick DID walk over to Coughlin and actually HUGGED him, so get off that.

Comments from Patriots coach Bill Belichick following Super Bowl XLII:
On the game
"Congratulations to the Giants. They made some plays there at the end and we didn't. It's disappointing
."

Comments from QB Tom Brady following Super Bowl XLII:
On this thoughts
"It is just unfortunate that tonight turned out the way it did. The Giants certainly deserve it. They're a great football team. As difficult as it is for us, you've got to hand it to them. They made more plays than we did."

TomBradyWoot
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
"We're only gonna score 17 points, huh? Is Plex gonna be playing defense?"
Most humble and respectful statement of the century...

This was in response to a remark by the opposing saying they'll win 23-17, so which one is more humble and respectful? Stop nitpicking on Tom Brady.

adamprez2003
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah the finger eye gouge was really respectful in the first Giants/Pats game. Rodney Harrison has always been considered to be the epitomy of class. How many people called Seymour a dirty player? Bunch of low lifes

Zeke0123
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah the finger eye gouge was really respectful in the first Giants/Pats game. Rodney Harrison has always been considered to be the epitomy of class. How many people called Seymour a dirty player? Bunch of low lifesI would just use the word "Smug" when describing the Patriots and their fans (most of them)...Do they give out board material ?? no..but that sure doesnt make them "humble" looks to me like they finally choked on that "humble pie" they had been eating all year (what a joke that was).

HaRdKoReXXX
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Smack talk is not permitted anywhere on Finheaven.

kasaba13
02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Superbowl players with a criminal record...

Pats 8, Giants 0

Let's make it 9 now that Willie Anderson is dealing pot. Their clean, good guy image is no longer bought by the public. They have been exposed and it ain't pretty.

TomBradyWoot
02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Superbowl players with a criminal record...

Pats 8, Giants 0

Let's make it 9 now that Willie Anderson is dealing pot. Their clean, good guy image is no longer bought by the public. They have been exposed and it ain't pretty.

You got a source? I HIGHLY doubt theres a team without a player with a criminal record.

alen1
02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
You got a source? I HIGHLY doubt theres a team without a player with a criminal record.

how 'bout dem bingals?

kasaba13
02-13-2008, 10:34 PM

It was on ESPN radio the week leading up to the Superbowl.

TomBradyWoot
02-14-2008, 12:37 AM
It was on ESPN radio the week leading up to the Superbowl.

Oh really? Then whats this?

In July 2004, after he joined the Virginia football team as a cornerback but before he enrolled for his freshman year, Bradshaw was arrested for underage possession of alcohol and resisting arrest. Virginia dismissed him from the team.

Bradshaw walked on at Marshall and became one of the nation’s most productive running backs. He was arrested in January 2006 for stealing a PlayStation 2 video game system from another student’s unlocked dormitory room. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor petty larceny after prosecutors dropped a felony burglary charge, and was placed on two years’ probation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/sports/football/13giants.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

New York Giants backup defensive end Adrian Awasom was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving by Arizona state police early Friday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22956562/

Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress was arrested early Saturday on a charge of public intoxication in Virginia Beach, Va.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20020515steelers0515p3.asp

Droughns was arrested for operating a vehicle while under the influence early Tuesday, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Droughns is set to appear in Medina County Municipal Court on Nov. 4. He faces an administrative license suspension

http://www.footballdiehards.com/NewsMain.cfm?NewsIndex=1552

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) -- Mississippi freshman quarterback Eli Manning was jailed briefly after his arrest last weekend for public drunkenness.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-24827555.html

And this was only after searching about 15 players. Please spin this some more to fit your story. Also, please post more bashing about the New England Patriots like that somehow validates your false point that the Giants had 0 players with an arrest record on their roster.

FinsGirlie
02-14-2008, 12:41 AM
criminal records....not misdemeanors

FinsGirlie
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
not to mention their star quarterback leaving the woman he just knocked up for another woman. that's morality right there.

TomBradyWoot
02-14-2008, 12:55 AM
not to mention their star quarterback leaving the woman he just knocked up for another woman. that's morality right there.
Or their star quarterback breaking up with his girlfriend of 3 years and becoming involved with another woman before he knew she was pregnant, and at that point deciding to stay involved in the child's life but choosing not to dump the current girlfriend with whom he had feelings for and instead going back to the old girlfriend where mutual feelings didn't exist.

TomBradyWoot
02-14-2008, 01:04 AM
criminal records....not misdemeanors
Then that drops the Pats' number if we're using that. From that NYPost photo/article: Kyle Eckel's charges were dropped. LeKevin Smith's charges were dropped (incident handled internally with the school). Donte Stallworth was a misdemeanor. Mike Vrabel was a misdemeanor. And Willie Andrews hasn't even been tried yet.

So once everyone makes up their minds on what the criteria is, maybe we can settle this.

Layfield
02-14-2008, 02:44 AM
You would think that this level of humility would have been enough for the media, but now we find them mocking the Patriots having been knocked off their pedestal by an underdog team when the Patriots had never put themselves on any pedestal — the media had done so. Headlines like "Who's laughing now?" show a shallowness to the coverage of a great sporting event. The media should at least have the fairness and decency not to attribute to the Patriots a role that was not created by them but by those who would set them up as a target of convenience to sell more newspapers.
I agreed with this part. I always felt that the Patriots were crowned the greatest team ever a little early by the media. Its not the first time it happened.

Agua
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
How's this for Moral Victory - stealing defensive signals via videotape since 2000 and amassing a stockpile of information. Wow. Just, wow.

Vertical Limit
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Or their star quarterback breaking up with his girlfriend of 3 years and becoming involved with another woman before he knew she was pregnant, and at that point deciding to stay involved in the child's life but choosing not to dump the current girlfriend with whom he had feelings for and instead going back to the old girlfriend where mutual feelings didn't exist.
Hmm, I'm guessing either Tom Brady or Matt Leinart. :lol:

Iroquois Joe
02-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Smiling and nodding while talking up the weekly opponent, then running up the score, (in the most sportsman like manner of course), on teams they know have no chance comming back from half the point deficit they've been handed.

Then...get this...defending the ugly bully tactic with " it's their job to stop us scoring".

I suppose the school yard variety could use the same excuse after beating a smaller weaker kid to pulp..."it was his job to defend himself."

What goes around, comes around, the sun will set on the Pat's era of dominance, humiliated opponents will have long memories.

Perhaps their coaches will have more class than Belicheat when the players want to return the favor and he'll make them kneel down a couple of times, or rest the starters.

How many of you fair weather fans will be around then?

Roman529
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Is this a joke? Character and the Patriots should never be in the same sentence....they cheated and got caught. Hopefully the Commish will come down hard on them for other infractions that we are just finding out about.

nephinsfan
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
tom brady woot.....lol.....was that not the absolute best superbowl you have ever seen? How does it actually feel to get that far.....listen to all the talkshows give them a win, have idiotic fans get license plates that say 19-0 before it ever happens, and then BAM! it is all gone. If you ask me it is a bigger choke than the Yankees in the 04 ACLS. I am living up here in patsy land and the funniest thing happened the day after the SB. I must have been in ten different stores that day and a restaurant. the Pats jerseys everyone was wearing......none to be seen, the hats, put away, the sad faces, the angryness, the denial, it was the greatest day of the year. It was like christmas for me all over again. I wore my Thomas jersey and made sure I was sickeningly nice to everyone, asking how their day was, I especially liked asking everyone if they had caught the game the night before.....oh what a wonderful day that was.

Mike13
02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
You guys are a joke sometimes. The Patriots ALWAYS give the opponent the most respect and all the credit in the world

Really? is it respectful to play dirty? Does a player respect the opposing team's QB when he tries throws an elbow at his knee? Does a player respect the Game when he takes steroids? Does a player respect an opposing team's QB when he leg whips him? Does a coach shopw respect for the rules of the league when he cheats for 8 years?

MattM
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
This was in response to a remark by the opposing saying they'll win 23-17, so which one is more humble and respectful? Stop nitpicking on Tom Brady.

I heard the quote myself--Brady said it in a playfully mocking way as if "so Plax is going to be out there himself stopping us on D?" While I don't normally rip on Brady as much as some others around here, it was not a smart (particularly with hindsight about where the actual score ended up--they in fact wished they'd scored 17) or particularly respectful thing to say. The media ripped Plax a new one for making his statement, but as best I could tell, Brady got the usual Pats* pass from the media for his statement, which even at the time struck me as a bit of G-Men bulletin board material.....

Zeke0123
02-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I heard the quote myself--Brady said it in a playfully mocking way as if "so Plax is going to be out there himself stopping us on D?" While I don't normally rip on Brady as much as some others around here, it was not a smart (particularly with hindsight about where the actual score ended up--they in fact wished they'd scored 17) or particularly respectful thing to say. The media ripped Plax a new one for making his statement, but as best I could tell, Brady got the usual Pats* pass from the media for his statement, which even at the time struck me as a bit of G-Men bulletin board material.....you mean this quote ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2yK5C9Ae4