PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long not Chris Long

rmp1515
02-13-2008, 12:56 AM
I was just watching ESPN and they had a short special on Jake Long the LT from Michigan. They said that the Dolphins have ruled out drafting a QB and that Jake Long could be there man

I really dont know anymore who I think the Dolphins should draft. I trust Parcells to make the right decision. Even though I am against using the first overall pick on an OL or DL, I just want us to take a player that will be productive and pro-bowl material for years to come in Dolphins teal.

Roman529
02-13-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't see us using a # 1 overall on an O-lineman either....we could bring in Faneca from the Steelers for a lot less, and we know he is a pro bowler.

CsonkaClone
02-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Jake Long? Have a look at what Gholston did to him on this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg

#1dolphinsfan
02-13-2008, 01:21 AM
I dont want Jake Long i am sure he is a good Offense lineman but i think that we should get Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey

ih8brady
02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
I dont want Jake Long i am sure he is a good Offense lineman but i think that we should get Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey

Amen!

Bigjbizzle2
02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Jake Long? Have a look at what Gholston did to him on this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg
So you Pick The ONE Sack that he gave up in 13 games. good job of researching. he had zero penalties all year and gave up one sack. that stat is no lie, also if you watched any michigan games you would know that 90% of their run plays went behind Jake long. s before people criticize maybe you should research instead of posting ignorant.
The only way you get a pass on this is if you are a ****eye fan

X-Pacolypse
02-13-2008, 02:05 AM
I wouldn't mind taking Jake Long. In fact, I would take either one of the Long's.

Blackocrates
02-13-2008, 02:08 AM
I was just watching ESPN and they had a short special on Jake Long the LT from Michigan. They said that the Dolphins have ruled out drafting a QB and that Jake Long could be there man.

They said that "if" the Dolphins rule out drafting a QB. I think Matt Ryan is still in play to be drafted.

Danny
02-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Parcells and Ireland are already doing a great job of keeping people guesing as to what we're going to do....lol

Ozzy rules!!

IDFinFan
02-13-2008, 02:34 AM
I dont understand what all the debate is about.

Glenn Dorsey = Great if we play a base 4-3
Chris Long = Great pickup for the dolphins if going to a 3-4
Matt Ryan = Great pickup if the Dolphins arent sold on Beck
Jake Long = Great pickup....regardless.
Trade Down = Best case scenario but probably not going to happen

We cant lose imho....I truly believe we have 4 great players who would all fill needs for us. I think parcells and co will pull the triggr on Chris Long, but i wont care either way we are getting one of the, If not the, best prospect in the draft....

newlife2788
02-13-2008, 02:37 AM
I wouldn't mind getting him.

PeterNorth
02-13-2008, 03:36 AM
I wouldn't mind getting him.

Who would you mind getting...if you don't mind?

SE Idaho dolfan
02-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Glenn Dorsey is going to be a good player no doubt. his strength alone will get him through "the speed of the game" adjustment. Chris Long looks to be an amazing player also and he's got the pedigree of greatness on his side. i say trade down and pick up some more pieces but i think the pick should be Glenn if we dont

3rdandinches
02-13-2008, 06:59 AM
IDFinFan I couldn't have said it any better, basically it's a win/win/win/win/win situation with every scenario.Sign A.Faneca draft J.Long and watch R.Brown rush for 2000 yards.Now all of a sudden J.Beck looks great off of play action pass.Good luck AFC East Defenses let the physical beat down begin!!!

brandon27
02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
So you Pick The ONE Sack that he gave up in 13 games. good job of researching. he had zero penalties all year and gave up one sack. that stat is no lie, also if you watched any michigan games you would know that 90% of their run plays went behind Jake long. s before people criticize maybe you should research instead of posting ignorant.

i watched jake play week in, week out for the last 2 or 3 years. he's an unbelievable player. im not sure why so many are so down on him. he's an outstanding blocker, has good size, and he's a leader. id be happy with him as our pick, however i would be happy with all the names being mentioned too really...

rent this space
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM
how about showing the play in that game where he drove the defender into the ground 5 yards downfield? he's huge, strong, athletic with a mean streak... what's not to like? having a stud left tackle is the foundation of any great team. I have also seen Jake Long for awhile and he looks like exactly what this team needs.

NashPhin
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I really like the idea of drafting Jake Long. In reality, that move would bring major upgrades to two line positions.

Vernon could shift back to the right side where he is a near Pro-Bowl talent and Long (assuming he pans out) would be counted on as the franchise LT the franchise has lacked since Richmond Webb.

If we can re-sign Hadnot, we are looking at a major league o-line to build around. Just IMO.

emocomputerjock
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM

You got caught up in invective and loathing for Ohio State there and didn't watch the play - that wasn't a sack. The ball got out, but Long got beat badly and his assistant blocker got pwnt as well. That points a lot to Gholston being the type of player he is yes, but the rushers in the NFL week in and week out are that good. I'd rather not have John Beck killed again this upcoming season. Jake Long as a RT? Sure. With the first overall pick at LT, with Dorsey and Chris Long there? No way.

kbeath
02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Come on he got beat to the inside. Henne could have went to the left and had all day. Players get beat sometimes i dont care who you are it happens. Jake long will make the team better from day one. QB and RB get a huge boost. Who else makes two players better by adding a 3rd? J. Long also would have the longest shelf life barring injury i hope we go his way!!

G-Force
02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
C. Long can play in any system firdt of all. Secondly he is the only player that is hands down the best at what he does. Thirdly, I'll take any one Ryan, Dorsey, Long, Ellis, and Long. I do tend to favor Chris Long and think he is the safest pick to be a great player and carreer Phin.

SabanHater
02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I was just watching ESPN and they had a short special on Jake Long the LT from Michigan. They said that the Dolphins have ruled out drafting a QB and that Jake Long could be there man

I really dont know anymore who I think the Dolphins should draft. I trust Parcells to make the right decision. Even though I am against using the first overall pick on an OL or DL, I just want us to take a player that will be productive and pro-bowl material for years to come in Dolphins teal.

it's aqua, not teal. :D

DrunkenFan
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, but taking Jake Long, or any OT that high, is just insane. Put aside the fact that Long is basically just a massive body that will be great in the run game, but he's not very quick. Please, don't bring up his 40 time compared to his weight, because it means little. He is a masher in the vein of LJ Shelton, and when he goes against NFL DEs every week he will get beat, there's no question.

Forgetting all of that, just look at the history of drafting OTs in the first round:

2007:

# 3 Overall: Joe Thomas- Was getting beaten regularly at teh beginning, but came on afterwards

# 5 Overall: Levin Brown- Is currently one of the most expensive RT’s in the league.

# 28 Overall: Joe Staley- Has supplanted Kwame Harris, which isn't saying much, but still cannot be trusted to man the left side, though comes at a better value for his salary.

2006:

# 4 Overall: D'Brickashaw Ferguson- Has been very mediocre at LT for NY.

2005:

# 13 Overall: Jammal Brown- Has been serviceable manning left side for Saints.

# 19 Overall: Alex Barron- Is only playing now in the absence of Orlando Pace, but has been a disappointment so far.

2004:

# 2 Overall: Robert Gallery- Quickly becoming the next Tony Mandarich.

# 16 Overall: Shawn Andrews- Has had a productive yet injury plagued career.

# 19 Overall: Vernon Carey- Being tried at LT for a 2nd time…has played decent, but clearly shined at RT, which he wasn’t drafted as.

2003:

#8 Overall: Jordan Gross- Finally solidified as a starter….on the right side.

#20 Overall: George Foster- Let go by the Broncos…currently mans right side for Lions.

#26 Overall: Kwame Harris- Has had disappointing career for the 49ers.

2002:

#4 Overall: Mike Williams- Has earned the ‘bust’ label…considered a sure-fire anchor coming out.

#7 Overall: Bryant McKinney- Has been consistent for Vikes

#10 Overall: Levi Jones- Was once considered one of the better LTs-had recently been replaced after signing a contract extension.

#29 Overall: Marc Columbo- drafted to man left side for Chicago…now mans right side for Dallas.

2001:

#2 Overall: Leonard Davis- Came out as a OG…drafted to be a LT and failed there…signed huge contract with Dallas to again play OG.

# 14 Overall: Kenyatta Walker- drafted by TB to be LT of the future…released and picked up by Carolina…who then released him…currently a FA

# 18 Overall: Jeff Backus- Has been inconsistent starter for Detroit.

2000:

# 3 Overall: Chris Samuels- Actually has lived up to anchor billing for Redskins.

# 20 Overall: Stockar McDougle- Struggling with his 3rd NFL team.

# 22 Overall: Chris McIntosh- One of the biggest recent busts at the position.

1999:

#14 Overall: John Tait- Currently with his 2nd team

# 18 Overall: Matt Stinchcomb- played unimpressive career with 3 teams before retiring

# 21 Overall: LJ Shelton- Currently with 3rd team…finally relegated to RT duties.. recently released by Dolphins

# 27 Overall: Aaron Gibson- Complete bust currently out of the league.

1998:

# 11 Overall: Tra Thomas- A mainstay for the Eagles line on the left side.

# 23 Overall: Mo Collins- Unimpressive and injury-plagued career with Raiders…currently out of the league.

# 27 Overall: Victor Riley- Released by Texans in 2005…his 3rd team

1997:

# 1 Overall: Orlando Pace- One of the few LTs that actually live up to their anchor billing, though injuries have sidelined him more often than not recently.

# 6 Overall: Walter Jones- A pro-bowl anchor for Seattle.

# 30 Overall: Ross Verba- played as a rookie for Green Bay, signed with Cleveland after 4 seasons. Got into legal troubles and was recently released by the Lions.

Nuff said....

Static387
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd love the pick to be Jake Long. The O line has been crap for so long. And the no penalties 1 sack statistic is freaking amazing. Besides we might end up with his QB too. Maybe get Manningham aswell. 8)

arsenal
02-13-2008, 11:11 AM

not to mention that wasn't even a sack... and it looked like Long went outside like perhaps there was a fake blitz coming from the corner, or he thought he would have had guard help inside...

he went outside, gholston went inside and jake recovered some, but gholston had the step... its not like he was destroyed on that play...

jake long is a good player, how hed fair as a LT in the pros i do not know, but hes a good enough prospect to consider at number 1

dolpns13
02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
How good is Chris Long really.. I have heard talk about him but dont know alot about either. Aside from being Howies son, what are his tangibles?

phinfan33
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
If i had to choose between the 2 Longs as my first draft pick and both were available,i'd take Chris. i know we need help on our O-Line,but i like defense and i want a strong pass rush. we can get good to possibly great OL in the later rds of the draft,gems can be found in the later rds as we all know,but that's just what i'd do.

Ryan1973
02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't see us using a # 1 overall on an O-lineman either....we could bring in Faneca from the Steelers for a lot less, and we know he is a pro bowler.

I would rather draft Jake Long than bring in Faneca. Faneca is going to want a huge contract and he is a lot older than Jake Long and plays guard, not tackle. You wouldn't get as many years with Faneca because of his age. The Dolphins need youth instead of aging veterans.

Fin-omenal
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I dont think Parcells and Co. will announce they are not eyeing a QB, that would be bad buisness.

adamprez2003
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Pick up OL, DL and LB in free agency where there's some quality and draft Ryan since there are no quality QBs available in FA.

Phineas64
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
In the choice between the two Longs, Dorsey, and Matt Ryan, it seems to me it would be easier to find a quality d-lineman or qb lower in the draft than a lt, so I would go Jake. But other than that, we will be getting a quality player either way, which is what we need the most of.

zach attach
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt Tony Boselli a number 1? He was pretty good at what he did before injuries.

ThaGame17
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
definitly don't rule out chris long.... remember parcells is very good friends with UVA head coach Al Groh....

i also agree that there are many offensive linemen out in free agency but what people have been saying is that our defense... especially d-line is too old... bringing in an excellent defensive end who would fit perfectly in our scheme would be awesome... i also like glenn dorsey but i feel chris long is nfl ready and a perfect fit

ThaGame17
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
wouldnt you rather have a proven offensive lineman rather than take a gamble on long... who would only be a couple years younger than some of the free agents.....

PLUS... no one can come on this site and say that chris long wouldnt be a perfect number 1 pick for the dolphins.... think about it.... matt roth is our starting de opposite JT... do you really think chris long couldnt do a whole lot better job than roth?

ThaGame17
02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
wouldnt you rather have a proven offensive lineman rather than take a gamble on long... who would only be a couple years younger than some of the free agents.....

PLUS... no one can come on this site and say that chris long wouldnt be a perfect number 1 pick for the dolphins.... think about it.... matt roth is our starting de opposite JT... do you really think chris long couldnt do a whole lot better job than roth?

SabanHater
02-13-2008, 04:42 PM
April can't come soon enough