PDA

View Full Version : The Demise of The pay - cheaters er Patriots

miamirw
02-16-2008, 12:21 AM
This is so great watching the Patriots get exposed for cheating during their entire time under Belichik. I hope the NFL gives that kid Walsh immunity and he turns on the Pats over the weekend.

Take away their other 1st round pick, and strip them of all of the superbowls they supposedly "won". And Ban unibomber Belichick.

The Patriots franchise is a disgrace. It sucks that they happened to be in our division the entire time. How many playoff spots did we and the Bills, and Jets miss because NE won the division by cheating.

alen1
02-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Who cares about how many playoff spots the Jets and Bills missed, I am pissed off about us missing the playoffs those years lol.

adamprez2003
02-16-2008, 01:35 AM
This is so great watching the Patriots get exposed for cheating during their entire time under Belichik. I hope the NFL gives that kid Walsh immunity and he turns on the Pats over the weekend.

Take away their other 1st round pick, and strip them of all of the superbowls they supposedly "won". And Ban unibomber Belichick.

The Patriots franchise is a disgrace. It sucks that they happened to be in our division the entire time. How many playoff spots did we and the Bills, and Jets miss because NE won the division by cheating.I think we had bigger problems then the Pats cheating. This will work out well. All of their SBs are under permanent suspicion no matter what happens. They are the Chicago Black Sox of the NFL. Who knows when all is said and done they may be stripped of the Rams SuperBowl :lol:

lilMissFin
02-16-2008, 02:35 AM
It sucks that they cheated. I agree that they should be striped of their championship titles. They didn't win this year. This was the year that people found out that they cheated. Coincidence?!?.....I think not!

TomBradyWoot
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM

The Patriots franchise is a disgrace. It sucks that they happened to be in our division the entire time. How many playoff spots did we and the Bills, and Jets miss because NE won the division by cheating.

Wait, so you honestly think that whatever advantage they gained was big enough to turn the 03 14-2 Patriots and 04 14-2 patriots into non-playoff teams?

Itsdahumidity
02-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Wait, so you honestly think that whatever advantage they gained was big enough to turn the 03 14-2 Patriots and 04 14-2 patriots into non-playoff teams?

"The commissioner sought to downplay the issue about the utility. But from information we've received, there was opportunity for the signals to be transmitted to the quarterback so they could utilize these signals which they had taped in violation of NFL rules," Specter said.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_552506.html

What do you think?

TomBradyWoot
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
"The commissioner sought to downplay the issue about the utility. But from information we've received, there was opportunity for the signals to be transmitted to the quarterback so they could utilize these signals which they had taped in violation of NFL rules," Specter said.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_552506.html

What do you think?

Well for one, I didn't ask you I was asking miamirw, and 2nd if you really think this takes a 14-2 and turns them into a 7-9 or 8-8 team then....:sidelol:. You can hate all you want, and you do, but you can't deny that those Patriots teams were really good.

adamprez2003
02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Well for one, I didn't ask you I was asking miamirw, and 2nd if you really think this takes a 14-2 and turns them into a 7-9 or 8-8 team then....:sidelol:. You can hate all you want, and you do, but you can't deny that those Patriots teams were really good.They may have been good but if its proven they cheated then they werent champions. Alot of good teams every year, but only one champion and you guys are on the verge of being the first franchise to have their's stripped from them

TomBradyWoot
02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
They may have been good but if its proven they cheated then they werent champions. Alot of good teams every year, but only one champion and you guys are on the verge of being the first franchise to have their's stripped from them

yeah thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

players don't win championships, cameras do:up:

adamprez2003
02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

players don't win championships, cameras do:up:

All I can say is if you would have been able to actually beat a team by more than a field goal you might have had a case but since you barely squeaked by every SuperBowl any illegal edge you gained can be construed as being responsible for the margin of victory. No matter how you spin it, if you had an illegal edge on just one play that might have been the difference between victory and defeat in such a tiny margin of victory.

You have noone but yourselves to blame for this and the ensuing penalties to come if Walsh has the tapes. Face it Don Shula was Nostradamus on this one. He was just wrong about the year. All your SBs will forever have asteriiks attached to them whether official or just in the public's mind

dont fumble
02-16-2008, 06:20 PM
and 2nd if you really think this takes a 14-2 and turns them into a 7-9 or 8-8 team then....:sidelol:.

Well, what was your teams record before your cheating coach got a couple of tapes?
Like it or not, the cheating happened during your 'dynasty'. You will say it's coincidence, I say it's not.

TomBradyWoot
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
So then the Patriots cheated in 2004, is what you're saying, during the back half of a back to back Super Bowl run. It had this great advantage, you say. One poster even said it was the difference in us winning or losing the Super Bowl.

Then explain losing to Miami, on MNF, the second meeting of the year, when signs were already allegedly stolen during the first meeting? Were the 4-12 Dolphins just vastly superior to the 14-2 Patriots that the cheating didn't matter then?

Give me a break.

aquaman54
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Well for one, I didn't ask you I was asking miamirw, and 2nd if you really think this takes a 14-2 and turns them into a 7-9 or 8-8 team then....:sidelol:. You can hate all you want, and you do, but you can't deny that those Patriots teams were really good.Kinda diffucult not to be good,when you know whats coming.........

aquaman54
02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Kinda diffucult not to be good,when you know whats coming.........Oh.......And we hope you're enjoying your new team............WES!!!

TomBradyWoot
02-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh.......And we hope you're enjoying your new team............WES!!!

I'm sure Wes is enjoying winning and playing with an NFL quarterback.:dancing:

Phinzone
02-17-2008, 01:23 AM
So then the Patriots cheated in 2004, is what you're saying, during the back half of a back to back Super Bowl run. It had this great advantage, you say. One poster even said it was the difference in us winning or losing the Super Bowl.

Then explain losing to Miami, on MNF, the second meeting of the year, when signs were already allegedly stolen during the first meeting? Were the 4-12 Dolphins just vastly superior to the 14-2 Patriots that the cheating didn't matter then?

Give me a break.

Let's look at this from another angle...in addition to being able to WIN more games, do you think it might have had an impact on BUILDING a franchise?

Wouldn't free agents be more likely to come to a franchise who has a "franchise" QB?

Would a team pay an increased amount in a trade for a WR who might seem better than he is?

Would NE be compensated for losing players to FA who might not be as good as they perform.

To me, the entire franchise is tainted in that respect. Beyond winning a game or two, cheating would have helped lure FA's, convince them to take smaller contracts for playing on a "winning" team, given inflated compensation in trades and comp picks.

The ripple effect of cheating could be profound. We can sit here and say "did it help them win?" When we should be saying "Did it help them bulid a dynasty?"

late again
02-17-2008, 02:17 AM

Give me a break.

It could very well be that Jim Bates (who was by then the interim HC) threw enough of his own philosophy into the game plan that Belichick didn't know what the Fins were doing. Look even you don't believe the excuses you're making; so why continue?
At this point it's pretty hard to know just how good of a coach Belichick is. Just as it's pretty hard to know just how good Brady is. If, in fact it comes to light that Belichick was making half time adjustments based on information acquired through cheating; it's going to be hard to think of him as a great coach. None of us know what all has transpired. We don't know what's been done and what hasn't been done. Goodell has shown that he can't be trusted to tell us the whole truth or to even handle a situation as grave as this with any semblance of skill. Nor can we expect the owners to be forthcoming. All of the mentioned parties' main interest lies in protecting their cash cow.
You're certainly welcome to continue to believe this is all no big deal and it's going to blow over. But you aren't going to be able to hold onto that illusion for much longer. The NFL at this point, has 2 options. Begin damage control and throw someone into the volcano. Or they can just let it all play out and end up being painted as a group of unscrupulous, deceitful, money grubbing cheaters who care only about lining their pockets.
Just my opinion, but I'll bet an asbestos hoodie is being sewn right now.

MattM
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I also suspect that when it all comes out, we'll learn that this videotaping is the tip of the iceberg with these guys. If we had a real commissioner interested in getting to the truth here instead of Kraft's servant, the League would be putting every Pats* assistant from 2000 on in a room with the observation that whoever was involved in anything like the videotaping is going to never work in the NFL again EVER, unless perhaps they tell everything they know on the Pats* and their cheating. It seems that you need to be seriously ethically challenged to work for that organization--anyone else get a greasy feeling when they pan around the Pats* bench during a game and everyone from the ball boys on up looks like the type who would knife their own grandmother if Belijerk told them it would get them a few more points with him. A group like that (and from what I've read, Walsh seems like he fit right in there) would turn on each other in a NY minute.

Do that, and I strongly suspect you'll come up with a heck of a lot more than videotaping defensive signals. Anyone else watch NE games much? That Ravens game this year is but one of many, many games over this run in which the Pats* benefitted from horrible officiating late in games. So much so, that I, for one, am not sure it was a simple "coincidence".....

late again
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I also suspect that when it all comes out, we'll learn that this videotaping is the tip of the iceberg with these guys. If we had a real commissioner interested in getting to the truth here instead of Kraft's servant, the League would be putting every Pats* assistant from 2000 on in a room with the observation that whoever was involved in anything like the videotaping is going to never work in the NFL again EVER, unless perhaps they tell everything they know on the Pats* and their cheating. It seems that you need to be seriously ethically challenged to work for that organization--anyone else get a greasy feeling when they pan around the Pats* bench during a game and everyone from the ball boys on up looks like the type who would knife their own grandmother if Belijerk told them it would get them a few more points with him. A group like that (and from what I've read, Walsh seems like he fit right in there) would turn on each other in a NY minute.

Do that, and I strongly suspect you'll come up with a heck of a lot more than videotaping defensive signals. Anyone else watch NE games much? That Ravens game this year is but one of many, many games over this run in which the Pats* benefitted from horrible officiating late in games. So much so, that I, for one, am not sure it was a simple "coincidence".....

I don't know, Matt, I think you're being tunnel-visioned here. Here's what I think:
That every one of the cheating accusations leveled at the Pats is true.
That every team is constantly brainstorming and scheming to find some unique way to gain a competitive edge. And that a good portion of those teams are willing to cheat/bend the rules/circumvent policy; choose your colloquialism.
Recall the following rumors: the Steelers accused of getting steroids from training staff; the Colts accused of pumping in crowd noise; Denver and SF both caught paying players under the table; every year teams contact players who are under contract with another team (tampering).
If you were to sit for 5 minutes and try to think of nothing but ways for a team to cheat; I would bet you wouldn't come up with anything that hasn't already been tried.
Goodell, although he's being perceived by some to be protecting the Pats, is IMO trying to protect the facade of integrity of the entire league. Why else would the Steelers' and Rams' owners state that any taping didn't influence the outcome of the games? Because the NFL is a 32 partner business. In spite of the fact that during the season these teams compete against each other; they're still all business partners. Even as we speak, I believe that they're all scrambling around with league officials and lawyers trying to figure out a strategy for damage control.

MattM
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't know, Matt, I think you're being tunnel-visioned here. Here's what I think:
That every one of the cheating accusations leveled at the Pats is true.
That every team is constantly brainstorming and scheming to find some unique way to gain a competitive edge. And that a good portion of those teams are willing to cheat/bend the rules/circumvent policy; choose your colloquialism.
Recall the following rumors: the Steelers accused of getting steroids from training staff; the Colts accused of pumping in crowd noise; Denver and SF both caught paying players under the table; every year teams contact players who are under contract with another team (tampering).
If you were to sit for 5 minutes and try to think of nothing but ways for a team to cheat; I would bet you wouldn't come up with anything that hasn't already been tried.
Goodell, although he's being perceived by some to be protecting the Pats, is IMO trying to protect the facade of integrity of the entire league. Why else would the Steelers' and Rams' owners state that any taping didn't influence the outcome of the games? Because the NFL is a 32 partner business. In spite of the fact that during the season these teams compete against each other; they're still all business partners. Even as we speak, I believe that they're all scrambling around with league officials and lawyers trying to figure out a strategy for damage control.

That could all be true, but from what I've read, it's pretty well-established in League circles that the Pats* took the cake in terms of being, how shall we say, "aggressive" in their pursuit of pushing the envelope. I strongly suspect that up on a full investigation of the facts League-wide even, those jokers would stand head and shoulders below everyone else in terms of the depths they'd stoop to get ahead. Fortunately, I suspect that such investigation will focus mainly where it belongs--on NE and their dirtball coach. If it goes beyond that, so be it, but I suspect that all this talk of "other teams do it" is an attempt by NE and its fans (who are the largest espousers of this doctrine I've found) to prevent the NFL/press/Specter from looking into them further.....

DolfanISS
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
It's interesting to say the least. The argument that if the Pats cheating had any effect on the outcome of games they should have won every single one is lame. So many variables go into the outcome of a football game that regardless of preparation anything can happen. I'd have to say that knowing the opposition’s plays certainly gives a team an advantage, but is no sure bet to win.

In 2006 it was said that the Dolphins obtained audio of Tom Brady's audibles so essentially whenever he changed the play at the line or went to the no huddle the Miami defense knew the play. The 6 - 10 Dolphins beat the division leading Patriots 21 - 0 on that day. Now tell me that knowing the oppositions plays have no effect on the outcome of a game.

The bottom line, Patriots fans can try to convince fans of 31 other NFL teams that the Pats dynasty was legit but they are wasting their breath. Another one of my favorite arguments was, "look they are undefeated they obviously don't need video tape to win." PPPLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE, Dave Wannstedt could have gone 14 - 2, 13 - 3 with the 2007 New England Roster. Any knowledgeable football fan could have looked at their roster in August and conceded they were clearly the most talented team in the NFL. I was telling one on my friends today that I really couldn't have scripted a better end to the 2007 NFL season. The only thing that would have been sweeter was a bad call that went against New England late in that game. Poetic justice!!! From the greatest of all time to the biggest choke job in 3 hours, gotta love it!!!!

The biggest thing that Pats fans are missing, probably because they didn't know it existed, is the perception of the Patriots to fans of other NFL teams. I frequent many of these boards and have been in many discussions about how the Patriots were winning with "smoke and mirrors" and how they never had the best talent but win with smart play, great coaching and a fantastic system. When using that logic to explain their greatness, one can see why this cheating thing is so big to some folks. I'm sure there are many fans thinking, AHH that makes sense now.

Itsdahumidity
02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
It's interesting to say the least. The argument that if the Pats cheating had any effect on the outcome of games they should have won every single one is lame. So many variables go into the outcome of a football game that regardless of preparation anything can happen. I'd have to say that knowing the opposition’s plays certainly gives a team an advantage, but is no sure bet to win.

In 2006 it was said that the Dolphins obtained audio of Tom Brady's audibles so essentially whenever he changed the play at the line or went to the no huddle the Miami defense knew the play. The 6 - 10 Dolphins beat the division leading Patriots 21 - 0 on that day. Now tell me that knowing the oppositions plays have no effect on the outcome of a game.

The bottom line, Patriots fans can try to convince fans of 31 other NFL teams that the Pats dynasty was legit but they are wasting their breath. Another one of my favorite arguments was, "look they are undefeated they obviously don't need video tape to win." PPPLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE, Dave Wannstedt could have gone 14 - 2, 13 - 3 with the 2007 New England Roster. Any knowledgeable football fan could have looked at their roster in August and conceded they were clearly the most talented team in the NFL. I was telling one on my friends today that I really couldn't have scripted a better end to the 2007 NFL season. The only thing that would have been sweeter was a bad call that went against New England late in that game. Poetic justice!!! From the greatest of all time to the biggest choke job in 3 hours, gotta love it!!!!

The biggest thing that Pats fans are missing, probably because they didn't know it existed, is the perception of the Patriots to fans of other NFL teams. I frequent many of these boards and have been in many discussions about how the Patriots were winning with "smoke and mirrors" and how they never had the best talent but win with smart play, great coaching and a fantastic system. When using that logic to explain their greatness, one can see why this cheating thing is so big to some folks. I'm sure there are many fans thinking, AHH that makes sense now.

Great job.

Greatness920
02-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Well for one, I didn't ask you I was asking miamirw, and 2nd if you really think this takes a 14-2 and turns them into a 7-9 or 8-8 team then....:sidelol:. You can hate all you want, and you do, but you can't deny that those Patriots teams were really good.

dude u serious? if a team knows what a defense is gonna do anyone can score easily audible out of it into a play ull know will work cuz they are in zone or something like that

The Myth
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/)

Goodell defends 'Spygate' handling

Nancy Gay, Chronicle Staff Writer (ngay@sfchronicle.com)
Saturday, February 2, 2008

(02-02) 04:00 PST Phoenix -- It's been 20 weeks since the NFL put the hammer on the New England Patriots after coach Bill Belichick was nabbed for illegally videotaping the Jets' defensive signals along the sidelines in their opening game. Not long enough, for those who might think the Patriots' season should go down in history with an asterisk attached.
The Patriots have stormed to an 18-0 record and a berth in Sunday's Super Bowl XLII. That made the aftermath of "Spygate" - specifically, Roger Goodell's decision to trash all notes and six videotapes linked to the cheating scandal - the subject of multiple questions for the NFL commissioner at Friday's annual Super Bowl news conference.
On Thursday, Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, raised the question why Goodell was so quick to destroy the evidence compiled in the NFL's investigation into the covert videotaping operation that took place in the season opening contest between the Patriots and Jets.
Specter - an unabashed Eagles fan - also has raised questions about the NFL's antitrust exemption because of the cheating scandal and said he would call Goodell before the Judiciary Committee to explain why the notes and tapes from the investigation were destroyed.
Friday, Goodell said he would gladly meet with the committee but offered no apologies for destroying the notes and tapes dating back to 2006, saying there was no indication any of the evidence gathered benefited the Patriots in their previous Super Bowl victories.
Belichick was fined $500,000, the Patriots' franchise was fined $250,000 and the team lost a 2008 first-round draft pick as a result of the cheating scandal. It was the largest fine ever levied against a coach, and the first time a team had ever been docked a No. 1 pick.
"The action we took was decisive and it was unprecedented," Goodell said in response to at least six questions about whether Spygate and its legacy would taint the Patriots' season. "It sent a loud message to not only the Patriots but every NFL team that you should follow the rules and you better follow the rules.
"I think what they did this season was certainly done within the rules on a level playing field. I think their record is extraordinary. As we all know, it's never been done before at 18-0."
In his annual address, Goodell said he was disturbed that a copy of one of the six tapes had been leaked to the media before they could be destroyed.
"They may have collected (the tape) within the rules, but we couldn't determine that," Goodell said. "So we felt it should be destroyed."
Specter told the Associated Press that Goodell's explanation for destroying the note and tapes "didn't make any sense at all ... If they are under lock and key at the NFL headquarters, they aren't going to be available at all," the senator said.
Goodell downplayed the impact that the Patriots' videotaping may have had on specific games.
"The actual effectiveness of taping and taking of signals from opponents - it is something done widely in many sports. I think it probably had limited, if any effect, on the outcome of games," Goodell said. "That doesn't change my perspective on violating rules and the need to be punished."
Goodell also was asked about whether the NFL would replenish its depleted G3 stadium fund, the pool of money from which franchises may tap to help finance new stadium projects. The availability of low-cost NFL financing will be critical for the 49ers as they move to build a new stadium in either Santa Clara or San Francisco.
He acknowledged there currently is no money in place to help the 49ers or any team with a stadium in the works.
"We have maximized the amount of money that's available through the G3 funding program. We think it's important for the league to continue to assist in getting these facilities built," Goodell said. "They're great for the fans, they're tremendously beneficial to the players, because it drives new revenue, which they share in. So we want to make sure we do everything possible to keep these facilities being built, and we have always had a stadium assistance-financing program that we had prior to G3, which was a club-seat waiver.
"I think it's fair to say that would be available to a club right now until we find something that may be G4, the next generation of G3."
-- The commissioner said the NFL is exploring a reliable urine test for human growth hormone use among its players. On Thursday, NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw said the players were not opposed to such testing as long as it didn't involve the drawing of blood.
"It's not at a point where there's a valid test that is widely distributed that we can use, that we can be comfortable with," Goodell said. "I don't think there's a significant amount of HGH use, but I have no factual basis for saying that."
-- As for the saber-rattling that Upshaw and the NFLPA made Thursday, threatening to decertify their union if the league's owners choose to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement, Goodell said he was confident the two sides would work to extend or revamp the current contract.
If either side opts out this November, the 2010 season would be an uncapped year.
-- Goodell also confirmed that the Saints would play "host" to the Chargers at Wembley Stadium in London on Oct. 26 in the second regular-season international game in two seasons.
-- The NFL approved the Bills' plan to play one regular-season game in Toronto in each of the next five seasons in addition to an exhibition game in Canada every other year.
-- And there might be modifications to the 12-team playoff-seeding scheme that has been in place since 1990, to ensure that late season games remain meaningful. Several playoff teams entered the final weeks this season with little incentive to play starters because the seeds already had been determined.
"The incentive should be for every team to win as many games as possible," Goodell said. "We are going to look into the potential of seeding our teams differently after they qualify for the playoffs, so that you could potentially make more of the regular-season games have significance for the postseason."

The Myth
02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Spygate may be the story that never ends in the minds of fans and the media, but I'd say the NFL's Competition Committee is definitively over it. The league's governing body in terms of rules and regulations has been known to debate the most arcane issues for days or even weeks on end. The committee's attempts to define what constitutes illegal contact a few years back wound up just shy of involving forensic science.
So I guess while I wasn't expecting something on the scope of the Warren Commission, I was a bit surprised Thursday by what I heard from some high-profile members of the eight-man Competition Committee. They stood up before the media at the NFL scouting combine and declared that they heard everything they needed to hear about the Patriots' videotaping scandal in a 90-minute Thursday morning briefing from league commissioner Roger Goodell. As part of its regularly scheduled meeting at the nearby Westin Hotel, the committee heard the details of the league's investigation from a four-man contingent that included Goodell, league in-house counsel Jeff Pash, and Ray Anderson and Ron Hill, the NFL's top two vice presidents of football operations.
The committee's consensus after hearing Goodell & Co. explain their work? A rather resounding "Nothing to see here, folks. Let's move along.''
Competition committee co-chair Rich McKay, the Falcons team president, called Spygate "yesterday's news.'' Another committee member, Colts president Bill Polian, said: "I think it's fair to say we [as a committee] were satisfied with the explanation, satisfied with what was done. It's behind us. It's time to move forward.'' Giants president/co-owner John Mara, a relative newcomer to the committee, added his emphatic thoughts as well, saying, "I'm just tired of hearing about it at this point. It's been thoroughly investigated and thoroughly handled.''
Take that, Matt Walsh. Who needs your potential smoking-gun of a video tape collection? Take that Sen. Arlen Specter. Who needs you poking your Congressional nose in where it doesn't belong? Apparently no one on the Competition Committee. When a longtime Patriots antagonist like Polian has no appetite left for Spygate, you know which way the wind blows within the league office.
In fairness, Tennessee head coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair along with McKay, did take pains to call Spygate "an ongoing investigation,'' in light of Walsh's role in the saga. When juxtaposing that with McKay's "yesterday's news'' characterization, it sounded like the committee was at least attempting to view any potential Walsh testimony as a separate entity compared to New England's taping of defensive signals in its Week 1 game at the Jets.
McKay told me later that there was no debate in the room regarding Goodell's decision to destroy the six video tapes and notes that the Patriots turned over to the league. He added that he "fully understood'' why the league did away with the evidence once Goodell gave his explanation for the move.
I've been saying this since mid-September, but it bears repeating once again: The NFL just wants this story to go away, and the sooner the better. Nothing about the controversy makes the league look good. The problem is, the lack of transparency in the league's investigation gave plenty of room for the inevitable conspiracy theorists and unwittingly kept the story alive. After listening to the Competition Committee members talk about their lack of interest in Spygate on Thursday, there's no doubt they have fallen in line with the league's thinking.

The Myth
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Far be it from me to suggest that a U.S. Senator could be influenced by such petty concerns as money. But if you’re scratching your head trying to figure out why Sen. Arlen Specter, the Pennsylvania Republican, is so interested in the NFL’s Spygate scandal (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23133282/), you could – just for fun – follow the money.
In this case, run over to Specter’s list of campaign contributions (http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.asp?CID=N00001604&cycle=2008) accounting at opensecrets.org. Number two on the list, with $100,100 is the cable giant Comcast Corp. Number one, with $197,500, is Blank Rome, a law firm that represents Comcast.
By sheer coincidence, Comcast is one of the cable companies at war with the NFL over the league’s NFL Network. The NFL wants cable companies to carry it as part of the basic package. Comcast, among others, wants to charge for the service. The bottom line here is that a lot of fans don’t get the NFL Network.
A true representative of the people would try to get the two entities together, because that’s best for his constituents. But there’s Specter doing everything he can to tell NFL commissioner Roger Goodell how to run his league and threatening to inflict an act of Congress on him.
Rather than launch into a rant about this bald show of favoritism, but it’s already been done far better than I could over at The Philadelphia Daily News’ attitude.com (http://www.attytood.com/2008/02/arlens_tangled_comcastic_mess_1.html) blog, written by Will Bunch. His conclusion is:

“Specter's interest in this issue dovetails far too closely with those of his two largest contributors, whose employees have given his campaign more than half a million dollars to keep him in office. I believe if there's any Senate hearing involving the NFL and Arlen Specter, it ought to be the Senate Ethics Committee, looking at a potential link to these donors.”

Itsdahumidity
02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Far be it from me to suggest that a U.S. Senator could be influenced by such petty concerns as money. But if you’re scratching your head trying to figure out why Sen. Arlen Specter, the Pennsylvania Republican, is so interested in the NFL’s Spygate scandal (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23133282/), you could – just for fun – follow the money.
In this case, run over to Specter’s list of campaign contributions (http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.asp?CID=N00001604&cycle=2008) accounting at opensecrets.org. Number two on the list, with $100,100 is the cable giant Comcast Corp. Number one, with $197,500, is Blank Rome, a law firm that represents Comcast.
By sheer coincidence, Comcast is one of the cable companies at war with the NFL over the league’s NFL Network. The NFL wants cable companies to carry it as part of the basic package. Comcast, among others, wants to charge for the service. The bottom line here is that a lot of fans don’t get the NFL Network.
A true representative of the people would try to get the two entities together, because that’s best for his constituents. But there’s Specter doing everything he can to tell NFL commissioner Roger Goodell how to run his league and threatening to inflict an act of Congress on him.
Rather than launch into a rant about this bald show of favoritism, but it’s already been done far better than I could over at The Philadelphia Daily News’ attitude.com (http://www.attytood.com/2008/02/arlens_tangled_comcastic_mess_1.html) blog, written by Will Bunch. His conclusion is:

“Specter's interest in this issue dovetails far too closely with those of his two largest contributors, whose employees have given his campaign more than half a million dollars to keep him in office. I believe if there's any Senate hearing involving the NFL and Arlen Specter, it ought to be the Senate Ethics Committee, looking at a potential link to these donors.”

Deflection, deflection, deflection.

***News flash*** The rest of the NFL's fans don't care about Specter's alleged motives. YOU CHEATED! Your entire so-called dynasty was borne

from cheating. Your fandom from 2000 to 2007 has been a mockery. From the money you spent(tickets/merchandise/Sun. Ticket/bars) to the

emotional energy used up, it has been a waste. Nothing and I mean nothing will change this fact so deal with it.

TomBradyWoot
02-24-2008, 11:44 AM

***News flash*** The rest of the NFL's fans don't care about Specter's alleged motives. YOU CHEATED! Your entire so-called dynasty was borne

from cheating. Your fandom from 2000 to 2007 has been a mockery. From the money you spent(tickets/merchandise/Sun. Ticket/bars) to the

emotional energy used up, it has been a waste. Nothing and I mean nothing will change this fact so deal with it.

Yeah thats not extreme:rolleyes2:

Itsdahumidity
02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah thats not extreme:rolleyes2:

Truth hurts huh?
And btw, ever see a smiley you didn't like?

MR NFLFAN
02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

:yap: :yap: :yap:

The Myth
02-24-2008, 06:12 PM

My my aren't you the bitter one. It is much to obvious that you don't care that the facts don't back you up in any way. And you so incredibly jealous of the Patriots that it has affected your ability to have any true dialogue on any subject that includes them. The only one here unable to deal with the reality of this seems to be you. The fact is that the patriots didn't cheat they broke a rule that stated when and where a team can use video equipment. They never used these tapes in any game that was being taped. It would be virtually impossible to do that. But like I said you will not let any of the facts get in the way of your jealous rants so have a great life being a bitter person.