PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Woes

MarinoFan4Life
08-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Madison and Surtain getting destroyed. Need help... other teams are just DESTROYING me on the pass... and then when I commit to it, I get beat on the ground... any help!?

Barbarian
08-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Blitz.

Actually I'm not kidding (not totally anyway), I try to maintian pressure on the QB however I can while leaving my DB's in a 1 deep or 2 deep sets with the CB's in man2man.

This really plays to the strengths of the Defense allowing the Safeties to roam and play zone, allowing Sam, Pat, and Fletch to man-up short and allowing either Junior or Zach the opprotunities to disrupt whatever the O tries to do.

Personally I take controll of either JT or O-gun and try to pressure the QB into making mistakes. leaving the LB's and other D-Linemen to worry about the rush. (this helps when the computer tries to go play action on ya.)

One other thing to be carefull about, if you face guys like McNair or Vick, be certain to run alot of QB Spy plays. Theese guys will eat you alive if you don't leave a spy or concentrate on containment.

XoPhinsoX
08-17-2003, 09:38 PM
I dunno Marino. Anytime I play my secondary just EATS people alive. I like to use 4-3 or if I think they're gonna pass I like to use the Dime - Flat..it just seems to work for me. You put our guys in Man Cover and you should be pretty safe for the most part. Last time I played (earlier today) I had 5 picks ;).

XoPhinsoX
08-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian
Blitz.

Actually I'm not kidding (not totally anyway), I try to maintian pressure on the QB however I can while leaving my DB's in a 1 deep or 2 deep sets with the CB's in man2man.

This really plays to the strengths of the Defense allowing the Safeties to roam and play zone, allowing Sam, Pat, and Fletch to man-up short and allowing either Junior or Zach the opprotunities to disrupt whatever the O tries to do.

Personally I take controll of either JT or O-gun and try to pressure the QB into making mistakes. leaving the LB's and other D-Linemen to worry about the rush. (this helps when the computer tries to go play action on ya.)

One other thing to be carefull about, if you face guys like McNair or Vick, be certain to run alot of QB Spy plays. Theese guys will eat you alive if you don't leave a spy or concentrate on containment.

I use JT as well. If I am gonna control a blitzer it's usually Greenwood. He seems a little faster then Seau. Is there anyway to "push" guys down? It seems if I hit speed burst and the swim move or whatever at the same time it sometimes just runs the O-line over. Maybe it's a coicendence..

Barbarian
08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
well, it you hit the push/burst button as you collide and then try the rip/swim move you can get by guys most of the time.

XoPhinsoX
08-18-2003, 05:18 PM
I usually have to hit it 3 times before it actually reacts..;\

I almost just wanna use the "strip" button, because it's somewhat like a swim move ;).

Prime Time
08-18-2003, 05:51 PM
There is a learning curve. I went through the same thing as you guys. I was like 30th worst defense Week 7. By end of season I went down to 15th Defense. Year 2, I should be in Top 10.

XoPhinsoX
08-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately I don't own the game so I'm limited to playing time.

Prime Time
08-19-2003, 04:52 PM
There is a learning curve. My pass defense went from 32nd to 19th in about 8 weeks.

M-REAL
08-20-2003, 01:16 PM
I noticed something that might be useful when you're playing D. When ya play a team that uses 4-3 defense(don't know yet if it works with 3-4 or cover2 yet) use your Quarter sets on 2nd or 3rd down. If ya toy around with them, you'll notice that you can defend the pass pretty well, even better than the nickel packages. On 2nd and 3rd down, I bring my safeties in close coverage and choose a play in the dime or Quarter packages. It seems to disrupt alotta plays. Sometimes I blitz on 1 & 2 down and 3rd I play Quarter.

Prime Time
08-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Yeah but that just takes the fun away....becuase you are always stooping them. I always try to play what they play...like if they have 3 WRs in I will do nickel...if they have 5 I will do quarter etc.

M-REAL
08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
:lol: I know but it's fun watching them get frustrated and pissed off tho'. Hey, if i don't do that sometimes(or most of) they'll ram the ball down my throat.

Prime Time
08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
:lol: That is until you get that learning curve past you...

M-REAL
08-20-2003, 01:39 PM
True that bro!

MarinoFan4Life
08-21-2003, 02:21 AM
PT, what exactly do you mean by learning curve? Like, the game knows how good you are!?

Prime Time
08-21-2003, 02:38 AM
No....just you geting use to it. A learning curve.

MarinoFan4Life
08-21-2003, 02:48 AM
okay, LoL.... thanks for clearing that up.

Barbarian
08-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by MarinoFan4Life
PT, what exactly do you mean by learning curve? Like, the game knows how good you are!?

I'll field this one!

Basically the gameplay is slightly faster and slightly different than the previous Madden titles, it takes some time to get used to the speed and depth of this game that we didn't really have to deal with in the previous Madden titles.

When people first play it it's a bit frustrating to adjust, but once you do, you're in for a treat.

Prime Time
08-21-2003, 01:35 PM
Exactly Barbarian. Thanks for replying with a more in depth reply.