PDA

View Full Version : Embryonic Stem Cells Being Used to Treat Diabetes

WSE
02-20-2008, 11:24 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesResource/story?id=4318544&page=1

Doctors may be one step closer to using stem cells to cure diabetes, according to a new study by researchers at the stem cell engineering company Novacell, Inc. in San Diego who report that they managed to convert human embryonic stem cells into insulin-producing cells.
Insulin is the chemical produced in the pancreas that allows the body to regulate blood-sugar levels — and it is precisely the substance that many of those with diabetes lack.
The researchers, who reported their findings in the journal Nature Biotechnology, found that when they injected these human cells into diabetic mice, the treatment alleviated diabetes in the rodents.

I am embarrassed to be a citizen of a country where the president vetoed stem cell research....hopefully in 2009, we can actually make some progress and not have to debate this revolutionary science technique with the backwards religious folk.

Celtkin
02-20-2008, 11:36 PM
This is really not new news but it is exciting. The future of stem cells research will be isolating pluripotent cells from sources other than embryos. I will share a very recent piece of research done with stem cells as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for sharing that article.

Sethdaddy8
02-22-2008, 02:19 AM
He vetoed the Government funding of stem cell research, not the research itself.