PDA

View Full Version : From stem cells to a beating heart in 8 days

Celtkin
02-20-2008, 11:53 PM
An organ-building biotechnology that could create transplantable hearts using stem cells from the recipients themselves has passed important laboratory tests, researchers report.
Related News

The technique, called whole organ decellularization, has been used to create functioning heart tissue, according to a report in the Jan. 13 issue of Nature Medicine by a team at the University of Minnesota Center for Cardiovascular Repair.

What the scientists did first was to use detergents and other chemicals to wash out all the old heart cells from rat and pig hearts, explained lead investigator Doris Taylor, who is director of the center. What was left was a scaffold of tubes that once were the organ's blood vessels. Stem cells were then injected into that scaffold, where they were supplied with nutrients that allowed them to grow to create a new organ. Within eight days, the hearts were pumping.

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/080113/biotechnology-builds-a-new-heart.htm

To summarize: Researchers took rat cadaver hearts and completely stripped off all heart cells, leaving just the framework for the heart then added stem cells and, within 8 days, they completely regenerated the heart tissue and started it beating. The consequence of this is the ability to build organs without donor specific MHC markers (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/understandingcancer/immunesystem/allpages/print) -- that means the potential for no rejection from transplanted organs and no immunosuppresive drugs.

If anyone is interested in the actual research paper or if you want to discuss the science behind the experiments, let me know and I'll send the the manuscript.

unluckyluciano
02-21-2008, 12:05 AM
I'll take a crack at the actual research paper I don't know about discussing the science, the human body is not my field :D.

Celtkin
02-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I'll take a crack at the actual research paper I don't know about discussing the science, the human body is not my field :D.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the PDF file tomorrow.

unluckyluciano
02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
koo thanks.

Sethdaddy8
02-22-2008, 02:21 AM
wow.